Wednesday 31 January 2024

Magnificent 8: Lunar New Year - Year Of The Dragon

For our first Magnificent 8 style post for 2024, we are doing Lunar New year! 2024 is the year of the dragon. And a fun way to theme our first collaboration post of the year.

While the luckiest colours to wear for Lunar new year depend on your Chinese zodiac sign, red and gold are common colours to wear to welcome in the new year, so I put together some red and gold outfits to meet the theme. Neither of these outfits I will be wearing to celebrate Lunar new year (we have a big traditional feast for Lunar new year, cooked by my Asian in-laws). While they are not the ones I am planning to wear, they would definitely both work for Lunar new year!


What I wore:




Necklace: thrifted gold large double circle necklace
Dress: Kmart Whsdch Red short sleeved tiered midi dress
Shoes: Kmart tan crossover slides
Bracelets: the usual
BagRebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold


Why I wore it:

This was another wet and humid summer day! We'd thought about going to the beach but the weather put an end to that when the rain set in for the morning. In the end we headed to a local indoor pool to splash around a bit instead. This Kmart coral tiered maxi dress is a nice shade of red and a great cover up for my swimmers. I had the big swim bag with everyone's change of clothes and towels, so just needed a little crossbody bag for my essentials like keys and phone. This micro Regan bag was perfect for it, and worked well when I ran a few errands before our swim too.

I like the mustard yellow with the coral red of the dress, and the official name for the colour is 'harvest gold' so I felt it met our theme well. The gold circle necklace added a little more gold as well.


Last worn: tiered midi dress, gold circle necklace, tan slides, Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan bag.

Other ways to weartiered midi dress for Christmas, tan slides and printed dressmustard micro Regan bag worn 30 ways.






What I wore:




JacketLocal Women's Handicrafts gold and burgundy silk kimono
Necklace: double circle hammered pendant necklace
Tee: Cotton On The One sangria v-neck tee (Christmas present)
Shorts: thrifted Kmart turquoise linen shorts
Shoes: Kmart tan crossover slides
Bracelets: the usual
Bagvintage original Rebecca Minkoff 5-zip in faded electric blue


Why I wore it:

I actually considered wearing this tee to celebrate Lunar new year with the family! I got it for Christmas and it's the perfect deep shade of red, and with the red and gold cover up it seemed perfectly themed for the occasion. I've decided on another outfit, but figured I'd still give this one a wear. Rather than black or white denim shorts I went with these turquoise linen ones, just because black and white aren't as good colours to wear to usher in the new year.

I added my little blue Rebecca Minkoff 5 zip bag for the same reason - more blue! And my comfortable Kmart tan slides which have almost never been off my feet since I unwrapped them on Christmas day!

This was a nice and comfortable shorts and tee outfit for a playdate. I added the gold necklace for a bit of matchy-matchy with the print on the cover up, and because it meets the Lunar new year theme.


Last worn: silk cover up, double pendant necklace, turquoise shorts, tan slides (above), Rebecca Minkoff 5 zip bag. First time I've worn the red tee as it was a Christmas present.

Other ways to wear: silk cover up and white shorts, turquoise shorts and band tee, tan slides and dress, Rebecca Minkoff 5 zip bag and denim.




The Magnificent 8

The Magnificent 8 is a collaboration of 8 stylish women, ranging in age from early 20’s to early 80’s. The mission of this collaboration is to showcase how ageless style is. There are no age restrictions on style. So wear what you want, when you want, add a smile, and strut your style with confidence. And be sure to check out all 7 of these other amazing ladies!





Every quarter, the group chooses a theme and each create an outfit that suits our own personal tastes and fashion choices. We post them on the last Wednesday of every third month. Check out everyone’s posts with the links above for style inspiration at any age as they show you their outfits for the new Lunar New Year, the year of the dragon.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

9 comments:

  1. So beautiful as per always Mica! Loved both outfits and utterly in love with the jacket from the 2nd look!
    Also, what an amazing collaboration, I'll make sure to check their blog outs and give them some love! I just got back to blogging again, and looking for more blogs to visit and read! Thank you! :)

    Have a lovely day and rest of the week!
    XO, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such great styles. I love how you pair the perfect bag with each style it just really makes an outfit. I hope you're having a great week so far.
    https://www.bauchlefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these outfits are awesome. Loving the color combo in the second outfit.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mica, red is such a beautiful color on you! I love that bright red maxi dress but it is the deeper red kimono that really caught my eye! That is a seriously gorgeous piece, my friend. Wishing you and your family a happy Lunar New Year celebration!

    Shelbee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the looks, and you know the holiday well. I bet the food is wonderful.
    OXOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I don't know why my comment went in as anonymous. But that we me before.
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome first Magnificent 8 post, Mica! I love both of these pretty looks, and that is incredible that your in-laws have a traditional lunar new year celebration/dinner!

    Wishing you the brightest day my friend! :)

    Make Life Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  8. How gorgeous! I love both outfits. The inspiration is wonderful! That double circle necklace is such a unique and beautiful piece. I just adore it! Have a fantastic weekend <3
    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red is one of my favorite colors. Red and gold is a glorious combination. I love both your outfits and that necklace looks lovely. :-)

    Via | https://glossnglitters.com

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...