Thursday 27 August 2020

Layering Over Maxi Dresses With Cosy Scarves and Rebecca Minkoff Small Darren Bag

After a little bit of warm weather, the Ekka winds arrived in Brisbane and it started to get chilly again for the end of winter. I decided to add a few extra layers to my maxi dresses to combat the cold winds.

What I wore:

Kmart floral maxi dress layered with cobalt long sleeve tee turquoise scarf ankle boots Darren bag | awayfromblue

Floral maxi dress with Rebecca Minkoff small darren messenger bag in peony pink | awayfromtheblue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | layering a kmart floral maxi dress with cobalt tee and turquoise scarf pastel pink rebecca minkoff darren bag ankle boots winter

Scarf: Cotton On turquoise pashmina
Tee: thrifted cobalt blue long sleeve tee
Dress: Kmart Tropicana sleeveless tiered maxi dress
Shoes: RMK Chester black ankle boots
BagRebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger bag in peony (more affordable preowned!)

Why I wore it:

This was a big day for my eldest boy, as we all gathered to watch him compete for the first time. It was nice restrictions were relaxed so they were able to host a big sporting event, his first one after the restrictions had prevented any this year.

Wanted to be bright and colourful as I sat on the sidelines to support him, and so I wore my fave floral maxi dress, this tiered coral one from Kmart. Added the blue long sleeved tee over the top as I thought it looked better than underneath, and as it was still a little chilly I wore my cosy turquoise pashmina. I thought it matched nicely with the print on the dress and I loved how it popped with the blue tee.

The pastel pink Rebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger bag was picked as it was big enough for my camera and because I hadn't worn it with this coral dress before. It was a nice combo, I'm pleased I gave it a try!






What I wore:

layering a navy printed maxi dress with white ribbed knit jumper LV shawl and pink crossbody darren bag | away from blue

blue maxi dress with Rebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger bag in peony | away from the blue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | layering blue printed maxi dress with white ribbed skiny, cobalt louis vuitton scarf and pink crossbody bag

ScarfLouis Vuitton monogram shawl in bleu
Knit: white vintage knit jumper from my mum's wardrobe
Dress: Jeanswest 'Chantelle' crochet detail blue printed maxi dress
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in white
BagRebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger bag in peony (more affordable preowned!)

Why I wore it:

I didn't like this outfit as much, I felt a little overdressed in this, but also under-dressed for the cold! Unlike the first outfit this was a fairly normal day with the school run and a regular sports class in the evening. By the evening though I was so cold I'd added a coat over this - it was a really chilly day!

Even with the white jumper over this blue printed maxi dress it felt a little too dressed up for such a quiet day, especially as I spent as little time outside in the wind as possible and most of it at home 😂

I did like the colour combo here with the blush pink Darren messenger bag against the blue and white, and I think the white knit broke up the navy printed maxi dress enough that the cobalt Louis Vuitton shawl worked well with it. Just not one of my favourite outfits.


How You Can Wear It:

A maxi dress can work in cooler weather with some extra layers. Try adding a knit or long sleeve tee over the top, and don't forget a big cosy blanket scarf!


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

54 comments:

  1. Hello
    Mica I liked the second look the most even though you think you're overdressed !! The scarves always give that touch so feminine and the looks are more complete !!! Here the restrictions have been lifted but I am a little scared with the approach of autumn and winter, flu and covid seems like an explosive combination !!!

    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like both of these! But I know what you mean about feeling overdressed sometimes, haha! At least you still look great in both ;)
    https://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love so much your maxi skirts Mica. Have a beautiful day!
    https://chicchedimamma.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it typical to get a taste of Spring at the end of Winter, only to be plunged into cold weather again for a final Winter finale? I love how you layered up that tropical print maxi, it looks absolutely amazing with the blue jumper. The perfect outfit to cheer on your eldest on his big day. And it certainly is my favourite of the two. I'm hearing you with your issues on the second outfit, although it's still a great maxi. I'm sure you'll wear it better next time. These things just happen ... Hope you're looking forward to a wonderful weekend, Mica! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag is super cute and so versatile! Everyone is posting all these adorable layered looks and meanwhile it's still 90 degrees in NYC... sigh, I'm so ready for fall - pecan pie, Halloween, apple picking, and pumpkin spice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was firmly winter when I wore these in Brisbane - we have the opposite seasons :)

      Delete
  6. perfect color combination....love blue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cobalt blue is such a great color on you and that scarf picks up some of the color in that maxi dress so well!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that second outfit! Even though you felt overdressed you should wear it again for a dressier day! The shades of blue are so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think the second outfit is too dressy. I love how you layer over the maxis!!
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a good idea - what an easy and great way to switch up looks in your wardrobe! I want to try this out! I hope that you are doing well x

    https://findyourownhope.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think it's over dressed at all. But it's a good idea to layer a maxi dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the scarf and it matches your beautiful eyes!
    Have a lovely day, beautiful!

    Great hoodie sweater, looks perfect for home or running errands too. You look beautiful!

    Marie
    https://theflowerduet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love blue <3

    Federica
    www.federicadinardo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you like the first outfit more, but I really like both outfits, Mica:) And that bag went so well with both. Congrats to your son btw:) It's always great to see our kids participate in such events, especially nowadays when we can't take anything for granted.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy! It was so fun for him! :)

      Delete
  15. I'm really liking your layered looks. The coral/red skirt is especially cheery looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's a maxi dress :) I really like layering it so I can still wear all the colours in winter!

      Delete
  16. I love both of your outfits! You layer your dresses so well!

    It's so much fun to layer dresses in the winter. I do tend to go more for shorter dresses though since the hems of my maxi dresses end up caked in salt which is not a great look :)

    Ekaterina | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm lucky I don't have to deal with snow or salt!

      Delete
  17. I have to agree with you: the first outfit is just stellar, Mica! I literally gasped when I saw it! The rich cobalt and turquoise just pop with that dress-that-looks-like-a-skirt here (no one would know better if you didn't tell us!). I think you need some cobalt Cons! :)

    The second outfit pales in comparison, but it's still a good outfit. I think that the white jumper is just a little...snore, and almost wish for some more pattern here to play with the scarf's subtle print.

    My advice: Be overdressed. If you feel good, then go for it. Screw what other people think! Be inspiring to them!

    Have a wonderful weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such great advice Sheila! I think I need to dress up a bit more to wear more of my wardrobe despite being home so often!

      Delete
  18. Both beautiful outfits, Mica! The very first dress is my favorite.

    Hope you're doing well and I'm wishing you the very best weekend ahead, friend! :)

    Make Life Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  19. That red dress is so pretty!

    Hope all is well with you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both outfits are so great, and I really love those colors!
    I just watched that lovely pink bag on your YouTube!

    akiko
    www.akikohiramatsu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for watching! It's a great bag :)

      Delete
  21. The peach color of your bag gives a nuance of attractive colors to your blue outfit and the scarf color. A cool mix of clothes.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  22. So great you got to see your oldest kid compete for the first time now that the restrictions are a bit relaxed. Nice to hear you had a nice time.
    The first outfit is so pretty and I like the second one just as much. I love the contrast between the red maxi and the blue sweater in the first one. Great idea to layer.your maxi.dresses with sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so nice. I like your scarves collection as always
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2020/08/should-i-still-be-friends-with-her.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the outfits! The contrast between the red maxi and the blue sweater in the first one is perfect! -www.nicolesanmiguel.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, what sports is your eldest competing in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been posting them on the blog for privacy reasons - trying to be as vague as I can! Although sports are mostly restricted to one parent supporting when things relax more people will be allowed to spectate so I want to keep him safe.

      Delete
  26. Love these maxi dress layered looks! I am inspired to try this when fall gets here.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those days where the weather is in between and neither here nor there can be a challenge to dress for but going with layers is always a good bet especially when you've also got some great patterns and fun colors going in your outfits. It is really nice restrictions were relaxed so your eldest was able to compete in a sporting event with you in attendance.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think both looks are great but I will admit the first is a bit more eye catching and love the red floral prairie skirt. And how nice to that your son could compete in less restrictive environment. And yes being underdressed LOL. I remember the first time I went to Paris I was so under dressed it was still so hot and humid in NY and I got to Paris and many days it was cold!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. You did a great job Mica, I love both your outfits!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself


    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am so glad you are staying warm in that chilly weather! That first maxi dress is especially beautiful. I just love that colour and print. SO glad you were able to see your oldest compete. With the world so up and down lately, those are the moments that mean the most <3
    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true! We took so much for granted before!

      Delete
  31. Eu sempre faço isso e amo! Muito! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice to hear you were able to go out and see your son compete. You pull off maxi skirts so well!

    x,
    S | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your bag, it's such a nice colour and seems like the perfect size for a casual everyday runaround. I really like the second outfit especially. It can be so tricky trying to figure out what to wear as the seasons are changing x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your new pink crossover bag, it's perfect! Also, great idea on how to style a maxi dress by doing the layering . Have a great week ahead!

    bosbodaciousblog.blogsot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how you always dress up your outfits with scarves, they're such a great accessory! And speaking of accessories, I'm loving your Rebecca Minkoff bag too!

    Eileen | yesmissy.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stunningly stylish outfits for early autumn! These combinations look incredible!
    http://www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  37. Loving these layered looks Mica, have a wonderful week darling.


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameilovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I hope your son did well and had fun! I miss watching kids games, I hope ours can start back up eventually! I love how you made that dress work for colder weather, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's safe enough for them to start back soon for you too!

      Delete
  39. I love your layered over maxi looks! I especially like the first coral maxi dress
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I totally can't wait to layer sweater over dresses.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a lovely color your new Darren RM bag is, I love it worn with blue.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks all for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...