Friday 4 August 2017

Maxi Dresses In Winter: Leather Jackets, Scarves and Ankle Boots

When I did my 30 wears post with one of my leather jackets, I mentioned that I'd been looking forward to wearing the maxi dress and leather jacket outfit combination more over winter. Add some ankle boots, a big scarf and a leather jacket to a summer maxi dress and you have an easy and cosy winter outfit - and you get more wear from your summer dresses.

What I wore:

black halter maxi dress winter layers leather jacket, leopard print scarf, ankle boots | Away From Blue

black leather jacket, Balenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta | Away From The Blue
JacketAsos Black by Markus Lupfer printed leather jacket
Scarf: Sportsgirl animal scarf in violet
TankJeanswest 'Jenni' basic singlet in festival fuchsia
Dress: black Jeanswest halterneck maxi dress
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagBalenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta (20% off with code 'REAL')

Why I wore it:

Wore this for a day out with my boys, my last official day of maternity leave. (I've already blogged my return to work outfits but haven't shared this pic yet!). We spent the morning running a few quick errands and attending rhyme time at the library.

After liking the maxi dress and leather jacket combo I was eager to try it again. I thought that printed leather jacket would be nice with the black maxi dress but it all just looked a little too dull and black - so bright accessories were perfect for adding some colour! I really liked the purple scarf with the magenta Balenciaga day bag and pink tank.


Last worn: printed leather jacket, leopard print scarfpink tank, black halter neck maxi dress, black ankle boots, Balenciaga magenta day bag.

Other ways to wearprinted leather jacket worn 30 ways, purple leopard print scarf with blue outfitpink tank and striped skirt, black halter neck maxi dress and kimono, black ankle boots worn 30 ways, Balenciaga magenta day bag in the office.


Perfect for pregnancy: leopard print scarf and stripes in third trimesterpink tank in second trimestermaxi dress in the third trimester, ankle boots for baby bump reveal, magenta day bag and graphic tee in third trimester.


More Leather Jackets Under $100:







What I wore:

cobalt blue leather jacket, printed scarf, tie dye maxi dress red bag Colourful winter outfit | AwayFromBlue

Rebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red | AwayFromTheBlue
JacketWittner 'Santa Fe' cobalt blue leather jacket
ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs scarf in Island pine-print
DressJeanswest 'Elodie' tie dye grey jersey maxi dress
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagRebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red (on sale in pink!)

Why I wore it:

I went much more colourful for the next time I wore the maxi dress and leather jacket outfit. Had a crazy busy day. After being back at work, I'd found all the little errands I'd usually do during the week had to be crammed in on my days off, and so set an optimistic target of stopping in multiple places before lunchtime. Of course the boys were increasingly cranky and fed up being driven around all morning, so it wasn't the easiest of days!


Although we ran out of snacks buy the time we reached the final stop at Priceline, I was thankfully able to keep the boys amused long enough to have a wonderful chat and makeup trial session with Kaitlyn. We picked out all of the below makeup for my return to work.




I'm sharing this as I know a few bloggers gave me advice when I mentioned I needed new makeup that didn't make me breakout. My old stuff was over a year old and not entirely perfect. With the information I'd picked up from beauty blogs and a very patient and knowledgeable Kaitlyn, I managed to pick out things I'm really happy with.

I'm not a beauty blogger but I am impressed with all of this so far! I wear it twice a week to the office and have zero issues. The L'Oreal foundation in particular was expensive but worth every penny!

What I bought:



Just as well beauty products were exempt from my #6MonthsWithoutShopping challenge, as this was quite a big haul for me! Not sponsored, but I have been visiting the ladies at my local Priceline often (as it has a pharmacy) and I trust their recommendations! :)



Last worn: cobalt leather jacket, Marc Jacobs scarf, tie dye maxi dress, black ankle boots (above), Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag.

Other ways to wearcobalt leather jacket and printed dress, Marc Jacobs scarf and pencil skirt, tie dye maxi dress and boho fringe bag, black ankle boots and skinny jeans, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag and printed jeans.

Perfect for pregnancy: print mixing with scarf at 37 weeks, tie dye maxi dress at 38 weeksankle boots and baby bump.


Maxi Dresses Under $50 You Can Wear All Year









How You Can Wear It:


Don't pack your summer maxi dresses away when the cold weather arrives! You can layer them up for even the coldest winter day with the right layers. they might not be ideal in the snow if the maxi length trails on the ground, but if you have a snow-free day it's a good time to give this outfit idea a try! You can even hide some leggings underneath if it's really cold.


Linking up with Mix It Monday, On Monday We Link Up, Hello Monday, Oh Hey Girl.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

40 comments:

  1. Your blog always makes me so ready for the next season. I'm all like bring on the maxi dresses and leather jackets! I love the bright combo in the second look.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha benefits of being in opposite hemispheres! :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely a great combo!! I love the color of that lighter blue leather! :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you layered perfectly in both looks! The moto compliments the maxi very well! Very beautiful looks! Pray you have a wonderful weekend

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the second look, I have always admired how lavender/purple work with blue, yet I don't think I have ever done the combination myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It feels good to get new make-up, doesn't it? And especially with post-pregnancy hormonal changes, it's a good idea to try out something a little gentler on your skin. I am a fan of NYX lipsticks, balms and glosses - they're a drugstore brand here.

    You really have this "uniform" outfit nailed - great looks, both. Have a wonderful weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think I need more NYX, the one I had was quite nice! :) I've misplaced it now, ha!

      Delete
  6. I really should take a page out of your styling book this winter - maxi dresses are so fun in the winter!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post and outfit!!
    www.mssparkleandglow.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you made some great makeup choices there, I can see it looking natural, but still last though the work day. And it is great that it works for you without breaking you out!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ane! :) I really love the products - still happy with them! :)

      Delete
  9. I love the way you've styled your maxi dresses! I've never paired any of mine with a leather jacket before, you've definitely inspired me to give it a try when fall roles around for us next month! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  10. a black maxi is a must have for sure. It can be worn all year long!
    x,abril
    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've probably said this before, but I love that scarf in the first pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never heard of Nude by Nature before, so I gave it a click to see. I had to grin a little realizing that the first ingredient on the list was "Mica", lol. It looks like it was meant to be for you! Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! There's a makeup brand here called Mica too - makes me giggle when I see it! :)

      Delete
  13. Congrats for back-to-work outfits and being over with maternity leave! That's awesome how you're getting more out of your summer clothing by making them wearable for the winter! This outfit is definitely great for running errands and the library. I am also a huge fan of the leather jacket x maxi skirt pairing. I'll probably have to pull those tricks when I go to Australia next year on exchange ^^"

    Simplee Nikkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so exciting you'll be spending some time in Australia! You'll love it :)

      Delete
  14. That purple & black always looks so good together Mica. Also love the blue and what a pretty scarf. I love that you go to the library with your children. My parents did that with me. It was so much fun. Nice makeup haul! L'Oreal has really good makeup.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hopefully it will be a fun memory for the boys! :)

      I'm really impressed with the L'Oreal foundation, perfect for a work day for me! :)

      Delete
  15. Looks like some great goodies with Priceline. I love shopping for beauty and skincare sometimes more than dresses, haha.
    I love your second look with the red RM bag. Great one!
    Have a wonderful weekend, Mica. x
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you make your maxi dresses work even when it's cold out. I sometimes mentally compartmentalize them into spring/summer wear. Also, that's such a good idea to get yourself new makeup for going back to work--it's the perfect time to give your beauty regimen a little refresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was good to get new products, as I only ever really wear makeup to work anyway! :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Mica! Love the way you used Pink/Purple to make the first maxi dress pop! I also love nude by nature lipsticks/pencils. They have such great natural colours!

    Talyssa xx
    The Hidden Thimble

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the first outfit a lot, but the colours in the second one is something else. It's so bright and beautiful, it all works so well together and you look flawless!

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always look so happy! I love your colorful combos, but your smile really is the best accessory :)
    www.laveinechronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The colors are tied together so well in both outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love nude by nature make up - I've used it for years and find it provides great coverage and I can feel really good about wearing it! I love the maxi dress with a jacket look!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the layering lady. And that last maxi is perfect for summer!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love being able to wear something throughout the entire year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great suggestions! I tend to forget about my maxi's and summer dressers in winter. Though I definitely do love a good short dress, tights and knee high boots combo too! Definitely going to give this a shot this season.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never thought of wearing a maxi dress in winter, but what a great idea! I usually never break out the maxi dress until it starts getting warm, and then when it gets cold I just put them away. I'm definitely going to start doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love maxi dresses! They're so versatile, even in colder temperatures they work well :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just bought a maxidress and can't wait to style if for winter

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love maxi dresses but I've never thought of wearing one in winter. Thanks for the tips, I can't wait to try one with boots!
    You look lovely and I really like that second outfit - bright colors suit you so well :). Oh and the L'oreal foundation is something I'd recommend, great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love maxi dresses but always find they are way too long for me :/ The fushia bag is gorgeous too, great way to brighten up an outfit! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am always looking for ways to wear all of my dresses year round. Not just maxis, but my shorter dresses too. I love adding a pair of tights, a scarf, and a fun jacket to make them cold weather appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love layering. It makes almost your whole wardrobe work year round!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you all for your kind comments! it's great to read your feedback on the makeup as I'm such a newbie to makeup and don't know a lot about it, I'm pleased I picked well :)

    Glad I could inspire some of you to wear your maxi dresses more often too.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...