Monday 24 July 2017

Winter Outfits for Returning to Work After Maternity Leave - Fit and Flare Dresses

After an extended maternity leave, I'm back in the office and sharing my business casual office style again. It's been a while! Thanks for all your sweet comments when I hinted at my return earlier, and for the encouragement on Instagram as I've been sharing my office wear and return to work struggles.

Just like last time I returned to work, I'll clear up a few things first.

  • In Australia you are legally allowed a minimum of a year's maternity leave. You have the option to extend it to 2 years if it suits the company you work for, or go back sooner if you wish. My team, boss and workplace is flexible, understanding and supportive.
  • Yes I took a longer maternity leave this time around than last time. (If you followed me in December you'll know why).
  • I am back in the office part time again, so I'll continue to have SAHM outfits and corporate style outfits on the blog.

And although it's completely repetitive as I said it last time: "Everyone does the right thing for them and their child (or children) at that point in time. Mums always know best. And that means for me, that I've returned to work. "

Now that's out the way, the simple fuss-free outfits I wore for my first days back:

What I wore:

Scarf: navy bird print scarf
Necklace: Eye Candy LA 'Sasha' statement necklace
DressJeanswest 'Rita' stripe jersey dress
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale in pinkor in white)

Why I wore it:

No surprise, I went with my comfort colour and wore blue for my first day back. I also took advantage of being child free and wore the biggest most non-baby friendly statement necklace I have. I missed wearing it, last time I wore it I was very, very pregnant! The scarf kept me cosy for my early morning commute and I ended up keeping it on in the office too. A big blanket scarf is the closest you'll get to cosying up to a blanket at your desk!


My first day back was much like my return to work two and a half years ago - lots of emails to sort through and trying not to cry when I thought about being away from my boys. It took me a lot longer to go through my emails - I could delete all the meeting requests and event related emails, but there were a lot of changes while I was away so it was helpful to read the emails covering the changes, and there are so many colleagues that moved around the organisation or even left so it was good to try wrap my head around what it all looks like now.


As much as I missed the office and enjoyed being able to do things in peace and quiet for a change, I was so pleased to come back to my boys and my mum in the evening.


Last worn: navy mac, bird print scarf, striped fit and flare dress, black ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote.

Other ways to wearnavy mac and chambray dress, bird print scarf with jeans and blazer, striped fit and flare dress for a baby shower, black ankle boots and monochrome jeans outfit, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote with the same dress 2 years ago!


Perfect for pregnancy: stripe fit and flare dress hiding a second trimester bump, ankle boots in second trimester, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote in third trimester.


Fit and Flare Dresses For The Office Under $50:








What I wore:

camel trench black dress burgundy scarf navy tote bag, winter office wear | Away From Blue

camel trench, Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy | Away From The Blue
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
ScarfForever New Skye Foil Feather scarf in berry / gold (on sale!)
DressJeanswest tucked ponte black dress
Belt: Kmart thin gold glitter belt
ShoesAsos leather Chelsea boots in tan
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale in pinkor in white)

Why I wore it:

Another day in the office, another fit and flare dress. I have this dress in the stripes above and in black here and I have no plans to get rid of either of them - they are perfect for work. Easy to wear in summer with less layers too.


The only thing these dresses aren't suitable for is expressing breastmilk at work. I don't have to do that as Baby Boy's older, but would that be something you'd want to see me call out with my office outfits, which ones would work for expressing/pumping? While I've not had to do it at work I have had to do it at home and occasionally on the go for both my boys so I have a little experience there. Shea has a wonderful guide on how she makes exclusive expressing work for her that could be helpful too.


Last worn: burgundy feather foil scarf, camel trench, black fit and flare dress, gold glitter belt, Chelsea ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote (above).

Other ways to wearburgundy feather foil scarf and flared jeans, camel trench and print mixing, black fit and flare dress in spring, gold glitter belt and maxi dress, Chelsea ankle boots and skinny jeanspencil skirts and Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote.

Perfect for pregnancy: trench coat in first trimester, fit and flare dress hiding an early baby bumpgold belt over a baby bump, Chelsea boots and belted dress in second trimesterMAB tote and plaid shirts in first trimester.




More Fit and Flare Dresses Under $50:








How You Can Wear It:


Returning to work after maternity leave is an emotional time - no matter what length of maternity leave you had! Pick easy, fuss-free outfits for your first few days back. Plan them out beforehand and have them hanging in your wardrobe ready for you to grab and go.

I like fit and flare dresses as they nip in at the waist without being too tight and flow flatteringly over the stomach if you have a leftover mum tum like I do. Plus a dress is an instant outfit, you didn't need to think about how pieces will look together.

If something makes you feel happy, comfortable and confident, it's the perfect outfit for your return to work.


Linking up with On Trend, Confident Twosday, Turning Heads, Fashion Frenzy, Style on the Daily, Fashion Files.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

60 comments:

  1. Do you have KIT days (Keeping in Touch) in Aus? We can take a year off in the UK although companies are only required to offer full pay for 6 months then it's statutory maternity pay for the next 6 months (I think I'm remembering that correctly). I took 7 months with Elodie and 9 months with Felix but did quite a few KIT days to cover holiday / earn some extra dosh and literally, keep up to date with what was going on. I think you can do 10 maximum during your mat leave and I found them really useful so that I didn't go back having no idea what had been happening during my absence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome, we don't get paid that long here! We do have keeping in touch days but due to the nature of my work I wouldn't be very useful on those days. Baby Boy's health issues meant I wasn't even thinking about work for a while too.

      Delete
  2. I reach for dresses most of the time as well, they are easy but dressed up. Perfect for the early mornings. I am looking forward to get some inspiration for work wear from you, I think I am in a bit of a rut recently.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to sharing more office wear looks and giving you some inspo!

      Delete
  3. Whoo, congrats on returning to work! I'm sure you did what was best for you and your family! I love your coats, and they look fantastic paired with your big navy bag! Xx

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this outfits!! So cool!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY - LA LA LAND

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see you on my blog this weekend! Love the outfits and welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I haven't been in a while, I'm trying to get better at responding to comments sooner!

      Delete
  6. Love this chic work look! Your accessories polish it off beautifully!

    http://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so amazing that you had the opportunity to have an extended stay home with your little ones! I love both of these looks. That bag is gorg!

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, dear, your blog is amazing! I love it! <3
    Would you like to follow each other?
    If yes, please follow me on the my blog. I would be glad. ^_^
    I following you #574<3
    Have a nice day!
    www.cleopatrassecret.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the best to you, dear Mica, back in your job! I think it is always a challeging being a working mom and the quote you share here hits the nail on the head.

    I really like your relaxed working looks and I absolutely understand that you are especially happy to wear again these big statement necklaces (was is not possible with little children ...).

    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both lovely outfits. You look great:) And great to hear that the going back to work went well. It's a hard adjustment, isn't it? But I totally agree that only a mum knows when is the right time to do, and you seemed to be ready:)
    Here in Canada, we also get a year maternity leave, but I don't know if we have the extended option thing. That's good to hear that you work for a company that is very understanding about this kind of stuff:)
    Have a lovely Monday.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so grateful for the company I work with!

      Delete
  11. Aw it is so hard to go back to work no matter how long. Glad you made it through. Like you said, moms always know best so I am glad you are doing what it right for you and your family. I also went back part time and love the balance. I like being able to wear my non-mom clothes some days like you said. It's nice to wear a totally non-mom friendly outfit sometimes. Then I love the days I get to stay at home with Ivy too. These work outfits look great on you!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for me right now part time is the perfect balance and I'm glad it's working so well.

      Delete
  12. Love both of these looks! You're easing back into workwear so nicely :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on going back to work Mica. So true that this a personal decision for each individual. You look professional and chic in both outfits! Have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that bag!!! It seems to go with everything. I kinda know what you mean about the switch back to office clothes; whenever I start a new internship after a semester of college (mostly spent in jeans of course), it's fun to rediscover my wardrobe!

    🍉 Pia
    http://gymbagsandjetlags.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats at being back and doing it when you thought it was best ;)
    I like both looks and confess that I had missed your work looks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wrote my last comment too quickly, my apologies. I love your outfits for returning to work, and it's good to hear you are adjusting well to being back at work despite missing your boys. I think planning your wardrobe ahead of time is a great way to relieve some stress as you're making a transition.

    -Helen
    Sweet Helen Grace

    ReplyDelete
  17. U look so gorgeous in both the outfits babe...kisses, Neha

    http://www.theinstylejournal.com/w

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome back to work! I hope you were successful at keeping your eyes dry on those first days back *hug*.

    I'm loving your scarf/coat pairings in these outfits. I know it's still a while before we hit autumn, but you have me itching for my burgundy items again. Your scarf collection is even more enviable than your bag collection in my eyes.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard not to cry, haha! A very emotional time. Luckily the few times I was close to tears I was with colleagues I knew well, and a few hugs and I was back to work mode!

      Delete
  19. These fuss free outfits are great, Mica. I think it's good to trust yourself and a year maternity leave is good for new mums. My bestie lived in Denmark and ended up taking a bit longer. The navy bag is stunning with your outfit. <3 :)
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's amazing that maternity leaves are so long in Australia, I wish it were the same here in the States, we're only given 3 months maximum, at least by most companies! I love both your outfits, you look so stylish and I love the color combinations in the second outfit especially! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great week ahead!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so glad we get such long maternity leave here!

      Delete
  21. I love the blue bag and the outfit. Good luck going back to work! Http://www.mrsqbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your back to work outfits look lovely! Glad you are adjusting well.

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey thanks for sharing my post on pumping!! I will be very relieved to be done with that so that I can break out my dresses again!
    I look forward to seeing your back-to-work looks--these are both perfect, I would wear both of these looks to work in the fall or winter. Have you ever shared about your job? I'd love to know what you do for work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great post so I was happy to share it! :)

      I work in IT, so office-based stuff :)

      Delete
  24. Love these office looks! That striped dress is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Welcome back to work and hope you have a great start! Both outfits are very nice and you look lovely in blue! That bag is lovely!
    xo Yvonne
    www.aproposh.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats at being back! Love your entire outfit and the bag!


    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are both such lovely outfits for work! Hope you are doing well and having a great week.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on returning to work! I love fit and flare dresses, they along with maxi dresses are the most comfortable dresses. Loved the outfits you created, so work appropriate, well put together and most importantly, comfortable! :)

    xx
    http://realgirltalks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mica, you looked beautiful both days! Both are beautiful outfits. I'm really smitten with the blue one. I bet it's an adjustment. I know you miss them. Glad you're working part time. I think it is so awesome that one can take 1-2 years. Only 3 mos in the United States which is crazy!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine going back at 3 months! It's crazy how different the leave periods are around the world!

      Delete
  30. Fit and flares are so flattering! I love 'em!


    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  31. So many cute dresses!! Love what you paired your dress with :)

    xo,

    H

    http://firsttimethings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the navy bag, it's such a nice size and color!

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the scarves you added with both of these dresses! This post actually made me realize I have quite a few dresses I probably won't be wearing for a while as I do plan to nurse/pump for a year. I am sure it is nice to wear some of those clothes you've had tucked away for work, even if it is bittersweet to be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a different world when you need to pick pieces you can work and pump in!

      Delete
  34. Loving both of these looks!! I really love the colors on the 2nd one!
    Adi xx
    fancycorrectitude.com
    instagram.com/fancycorrectitude

    ReplyDelete
  35. I couldn't believe how many emails you had on your return! Phew. Glad your return is going ok, I hope people are being kind to you. Comfortable outfits that make you feel happy and confident are definitely the way forwards in these occasions, I always have a few favourites I go to on my first few days on a new client. Not the same thing but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean :) I am lucky to work with an awesome time so (aside from all the emails they sent me, ha!) I had a smooth return to work.

      Delete
  36. Congratulations on returning to work and I love both those outfits naturally, as a massive fan of fit and flare!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love how you wore your comfort colour on your fist day back. Both dresses are really nice! The second one is so professional office worker! You made the blanket scarf sound really cosy! I need to get some more now haha

    TFM Life & Style blog

    ReplyDelete
  38. your work outfits are really cute. I love the oversized jacket in your last outfit. Good luck at work lady!
    x,abril
    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mica, your Balenciaga bag here is stunning! And wow, you're allowed a year maternity leave minimum?? That's insane!! Here it's a lot different. You get a minimum of 26 weeks and the maximum you're allowed is 52 weeks, which is additional maternity leave. So yeah the most you're allowed is up to 52 weeks, with 26 being the minimum. Crazy!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how different it is around the world! I'm glad I could take a year and a half.

      Delete
  40. great scarfs and oh that bag is fabulous. Don't forget to come link up on A Labour of Fashion. Would love to have you join us

    ReplyDelete
  41. You look great and I adore the outfit choices!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Mica! Very smart and cute office attire!You layered and accessorized each look beautifully! Have a blessed new week!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the bag! I also love how you layered the outfits. Sharing with a friend who is currently on maternity leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I hope your friend finds the post useful :)

      Delete
  44. Great tips here, returning to work after maternity certainly is an emotional time. Wearing fuss free comfortable outfits is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  45. You look adorable! I live in summer dresses year round; just add leggings!:)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love the bag it is so simple but yet it has so much style. Love the way you paired it with both outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement with my return to work, it's an adjustment still but it's going well!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...