Friday 10 August 2018

Maxi Skirts In Winter With Grey Knits and Blanket Scarves | Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC and MAB Tote

I love a maxi skirt, and I try to wear the majority of the ones I have year-round. They are much too pretty to be left hanging in the wardrobe all winter! I followed the same simple outfit formula to wear these two blue maxi skirts: with grey jumpers, colourful scarves and mini Rebecca Minkoff bags.

What I wore:

chambray maxi skirt in winter embellished grey knit bird print scarf | awayfromblue

Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC | awayfromtheblue

awayfromtheblue instagram embellished grey knit chambray maxi skirt navy scarf mini mac bag
Scarf: navy bird print scarf
JumperWarehouse grey bead front jumper
SkirtNoisy May long denim maxi skirt
Shoes: RMK Chester black ankle boots
Bracelets: the usual
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC

Why I wore it:

This was back in the winter school holidays, on quite a nice day. My mum and I had planned to take the boys out shopping to spend some of the $5 challenge money I'd saved. (You save every $5 note you get as change then every year or 6 months you look back and see what you've managed to save). We made a last minute change of plans and took the boys out for the day to the Ipswich Rail museum, where they have a 'Day Out With Thomas'. I've posted about it before. The boys love it, and the reaction when they discovered where we were going was so cute. I wish I'd recorded it.

I did think about taking a jacket, as the sleeves on this grey knit are only 3/4 length, but as we were in the museum most of the day I really didn't need it so I was glad I didn't take one.

It's not the first time I've layered up this chambray maxi skirt for winter. While the chambray is light enough for summer, it works nicely in winter too with cosier layers on top like this grey knit and the big scarf.


Last worn: embellished knit, bird print scarf, chambray maxi skirt, black ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag.

Other ways to wearembellished knit and pencil skirt, bird print scarf and skinny jeans, chambray maxi skirt and printed tee30 ways to wear black ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag and maxi dress.

Perfect for pregnancyembellished knit in first trimester, black ankle boots in second trimester, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag in third trimester.


Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC and Mini MAB Tote Comparison









What I wore:

purple blanket scarf striped maxi skirt foil grey jumper SAHM style | away from blue

Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in plum | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram witner maxi skirt blanket scarf foil print knit outfit
ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs mauve square scarf
KnitJeanswest Kara foil pullover in smoke marl and silver
Skirt: Target navy side split maxi skirt
ShoesAsos leather Chelsea boots in tan
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in plum

Why I wore it:

Once again, repeating the outfit formula I loved and trying it again with different pieces to make another outfit. This time did go shopping, we headed to Ikea with the boys. It was a productive trip. As usual, you come out of Ikea with more than you planned, but I got some nice wardrobe inspiration, the boys got some toys, I picked up a little kids table for them, and their lunch was free because it was school holidays 'kids eat free'.

This skirt hasn't been worn in winter before, it has slits up the side so it's not the best choice for a cold day. With the warm grey knit, cosy blanket scarf and ankle boots, I thought it would be okay for a day mostly in the car and indoors at Ikea. While it was a little chilly in the morning, I did like this outfit. It was comfortable for walking around all day, and I liked the touch of colour with the purple scarf and mini MAB tote bag.


Last worn: foil polka dot knit, Marc Jacobs purple scarf, navy stripe maxi skirt, Chelsea leather ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote.

Other ways to wearfoil polka dot knit and shorts, Marc Jacobs purple scarf and purple jeansnavy stripe maxi skirt and band tee, Chelsea leather ankle boots and printed dress, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote and maxi dress.

Perfect for pregnancyChelsea leather ankle boots in second trimester, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in third trimester.



Grey Knits Under $50:




How You Can Wear It:

Maxi skirts can easily be layered up for winter, just by adding cosy layers. A neutral knit, a big blanket scarf and ankle boots work on a warmer winter day. You can add a jacket and maybe tights or leggings underneath if you have to face cooler temperatures, but the outfits above are perfect for Brisbane winters.


Linking up with Friday Faves, Lizzie in Lace, Mix It Monday, Modest Monday, On Mondays We Link Up.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

63 comments:

  1. The heatwave has now broken in the UK and so I can get back fully on board with thinking of colder weather styling haha! I love your idea of wearing maxi skirts during the winter and especially as it means making the most of a wardrobe, all year round! :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got a break in the heatwave! :) I like wearing my maxis year round when I can :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Friday pretty lady! I own one maxi and I gravitate towards wearing it only during the summer months. However, I love your idea of layering it into the autumn season. In addition, your foil print sweater adds so much sparkle to all your wardrobe items. Beautiful looks!

    Thanks for the inspiration and I pray you and the fam have a fun and blessed weekend!


    Tiff
    Http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiff, glad I could give you an idea for how to rewear your maxi skirt in autumn :)

      Delete
  3. I like your scarves, you surely know how to make them complement your outfit. I'm not a big scarf wearer but these give me inspo to use it when it's really cold out there. Have a beautiful weekend with your boys.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mercy! I couldn't be without my scarves, haha! I love them.

      Delete
  4. I love a good maxi skirt as well and these are great ones (I love the stripe pattern) - they're definitely too good to keep locked up all winter.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  5. When an outfit formula works, I also repeat them, Mica:) You're the queen of maxi skirts, and it's always great to see how you style it. And yes! Every time we go to Ikea, I always end up wanting more stuff than what I originally wanted....sigh....
    Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes Ikea is dangerous for the wallet!

      Delete
  6. I love both of those sweaters, basic but with a bit of a punch from the subtle print! Such cute looks!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't argue with a formula that works especially if you have the components to style a number of different outfits. What a fun treat the Ipswich Rail museum must've been for your boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they love the museum so much! It was adorable seeing how excited they were!

      Delete
  8. I loveee that first outfit! Such a gorgeous color combo!! And I love the purple handbag too!

    Lizzie
    www.lizzieinlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The striped maxi is so flattering on you! Great styling in both cases. Unfortunately our winters are way too cold for maxis here on the Black Sea, but I am definitely going to make use of them this autumn. Lise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can make these outfits work for autumn! :)

      Delete
  10. I love how you have outfit formulas. You outfit always look so amazing and prefect mom style. The museum sounds like a lot of fun. Have a great weekend.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think outfit formulas make getting dressed so easy!

      Delete
  11. Love maxi skirts! They can be worn during any season. With a tee/cami in summer and sweater/long blouse in fall/winter. Definitely a great piece to have!
    Happy weekend!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like both of these outfits, and hooray for formulas! When they work, they are awesome. You're making me want to wear boots and sweaters and long wooly skirts and scarves! Too soon for us Northern Hemisphere types!

    Happy weekend, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love my outfit formulas! It's so hot for you right now Sheila! Won't be long until you are back to layers!

      Delete
  13. What a great way to save! Love the cute purple bag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The metallic bag is so cute. I also just love your scarves! You always manage to pair them effortlessly with your outfits!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I have a big collection of scarves to choose from, which helps!

      Delete
  15. I love both of these outfits, Mica! Maxi skirts look great year round and I love how you've styled them with pretty jumpers and scarves. The second outfit is my favourite: I love the purple scarf and bag together. Hope you have a great weekend, Mica! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! I love maxi skirts year-round for sure!

      Delete
  16. I'm going to have to steal this idea, Mica!! I think you are the best at making your pieces so versatile for each and every season, and most women don't wear maxis in the winter!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodie, glad I could give you an outfit idea! :)

      Delete
  17. I alwqys wear skirt in most of my activity. Maxi skirt is one of the comfort skirt for me. Love your style! Casual and comfy. And you look gorgeous too :)

    -Calledasia
    http://bunnyawn.blogspot.com/2018/08/story-from-past-drawing-graphic-arts-62.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if I could do skirt in winter. Maxi though I suppose could be possible, with some boots underneath hahaha! I love that last combo, stripes with spots. Fabulous.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely agree that maxi skirts are too lovely not to wear all year. I love the way you styled both skirts. The last one is my favorite though. I like the mix of prints.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mica
    I also love maxi skirts, I find them so feminine. I like your second look more, I think you risked more by mixing different patterns and especially liked the scarf and the bag with the same color. I think it was perfect. Oh and how I would like to spend a day at IKEA !!


    And I hope you have a wonderful weekend.


    Lots of love
    Marisa

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa! I do like matching my accessories sometimes!

      Delete
  21. You really never leave Ikea with just what you had planned to buy! Especially not when you have kids that accompany you. I love visiting for some interior inspiration though. And for the hot dogs at the end of the visit.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so much awesome inspiration at Ikea!

      Delete
  22. I have fond memories of "A Day Out With Thomas"! My younger son was obsessed with all things Thomas so not only did we have all the trains but all the movies. So many fun days out with Thomas - back then we had a point and shoot camera so it was harder to get pictures while I was chasing two little boys around. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun day out, it's great you have so many happy memories of it!

      Delete
  23. I love the purple scarf! Goes lovely with the outfit!

    Darriyan ♡
    www.darriyancateland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  24. I adore maxi dresses! btw the second sweater and first RM bag so beautiful

    http://villemo20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are always so cute!! I love your blue scarf

    Lesley Kim

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute outfits, and I really like those mini MACs :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look great with the maxi skirt! I can't pull off the look because most are too long for me (short girl probz). Love how you styled your outfits. The Rebecca Minkoff totes are cute! I love that you have different colored bags to match your outfit.

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Nancy! I'm petite too! :) I still love my maxis (although yes the first one had to be shortened considerably first, haha!)

      Delete
  28. I love blanket scarves! So cosy and they can be styled in so many different ways. Fabulous styling xx

    Much love,
    Elegant Duchess xx
    https://www.elegantduchess.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute looks dear. That scarf is such a lovely contrast on grey.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the scarf in the first outfit. you always look fab in blue!

    Corinne
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. these outfits are lovely!

    http://www.claresloves.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't actually own a maxi skirt! I wear maxi dresses underneath tops/jumpers quite a lot though so they multi task haha! Hope you've had a lovely weekend,
    Amy xx
    callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to wear maxi dresses! :)

      Delete
  33. I love the deep purple scarf and bag Mica! I always love this colour as it draws into autumn so I will definitely be taking inspiration from this post! I love a maxi skirt too! So versatile as it transcends the seasons!
    Jaz
    https://www.thelifeofasocialbutterfly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was thinking of you last week because I attempted to wear my one maxi dress, but it didn't pan out for that day! Maybe another day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you do get a chance to wear your maxi dress! :)

      Delete
  35. Mica,
    I really love both of these styles on you. The gray and blue combination is beautiful with the silver metallic handbag. I also adore the navy blue stripes with the rich purple. I’m so glad you enjoyed your outing with your boys.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. What pretty outfits! I love the second one especially, the sweater is so pretty against the pops of purple.

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely skirts! The colors are so nice

    Narhee | Made in Mauve

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love both looks, Mica. The scarfs are gorgeous, they really keep the chill at bay. Hope you are having a good week
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. Such a lovely look - love the colour combinations! :) Hope you're having a great start to the week!

    Layla x

    https://www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  40. You always have the best maxi ideas. Whether it comes to maxi skirts or maxi dresses, you always come up with awesome styling solutions.

    Wearing maxi skirts in winter can be tricky, but you have proven that it is definitely possible. I love both of these outfits. Well done!

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the metallic MAC! How cute is that? I love our matching purple MAB too!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you all for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...