Wednesday 18 July 2018

Wearing Summer Tanks In Winter With Colourful Scarves and Cosy Cardigans

One way to get the most from the pieces in your wardrobe is to wear them out of season. I've posted many times about how I keep the majority of my summer pieces in my wardrobe year round. When winter arrives, I still find ways to wear my summer tanks, just as like below with jeans and cardigans. There's no reason you can't wear florals in winter!

What I wore:

floral tank in witner with skinny jeans converse navy cardigan and purple scarf mini MAB bag | awayfromblue

Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in plum with faux fur pom pom | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram purple toned layered floral tank outfit with navy cardi
JacketJeanswest waterfall drape cardigan in navy night sky marle
ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs mauve square scarf
Tank: no label floral and lace top
JeansJeanswest 'shale' super skinny jeans
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in black
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in plum

Why I wore it:

Usually, I plan my outfits the night before. Sometimes I have a vague idea of what I want to wear, and fill in the gaps when I get up in the morning. I knew I wanted to wear this floral tank and jeans together with my cosy navy cardigan, I thought the neutral navy would look great with the purple toned jeans and the cream floral print tank. The scarf and handbag were completely last minute choices, but I think they really pulled the outfit together. I loved this outfit. This scarf always makes me happy when I wear it, a definite keeper.

This outfit was casual and comfortable for playgroup and then running a couple of errands with the boys. And since it wasn't as cold outside as it was last time, I felt suitably dressed to sit and chat with the other mums as I watched the kids run around and play outside.


Last worn: navy cardigan, purple scarf, floral tank, skinny jeans, Converse, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote.

Other ways to wearnavy cardigan in the office, purple scarf and chambray dress, floral tank and maxi skirt, skinny jeans and printed shirt, Converse for travel, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote and shorts.

Perfect for pregnancyfloral tank in second trimester, skinny jeans and hidden second trimester bump, Converse in second trimester, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote and maternity maxi dress.


Cosy scarves are a winter essential! Here's my complete scarf collection:




What I wore:

summer tank layered for winter with jeans tucked into boots maxi cardigan feather foil scarf | away from blue

Rebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram grey maxi cardigan summer tank layered with jeans boots scarf
JacketJeanswest Alice longline Australian wool cardigan
ScarfForever New skye foil feather scarf in berry / gold (on sale!)
TankJeanswest Elissa leaf print tank
JeansJeanswest prima denim super skinny jeans in absolute black
ShoesAsos Cleo leather boots in tan
BagRebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey

Why I wore it:

This is one of those outfits that didn't seem to photograph well. While I don't think it looks like much in the photos I loved this outfit - all of the loose slouchy layers were perfect for a quiet Saturday. We spent most of the day at home, and then went round to my friend's house in the evening to watch the Church Online service together. I was worried it was going to be a chilly night, so I layered up. I was so warm for most of the night though, it definitely wasn't as cold as I expected it to be. We had a chilly start to winter, but it's back to being more average temperatures now.

The same outfit formula as the one above - skinny jeans, a summer tank layered out with a cosy cardigan, and a big scarf. I wasn't sure what scarf to wear with this - the leaf print on the tank has pink, peach, red and blue in it. In the end, I went with this burgundy and gold scarf. While it doesn't match the colours in the tank at all, I thought the foil feathers were similar enough to the leaves on the tank that it all worked well together. I threw the scarf on like this to try it out and I liked it so much I didn't wrap it around my neck like I usually do. Seemed to look better this way with the long cardigan.


Last worn: wool maxi cardigan, feather foil scarf, leaf print tank, Jeanswest prima skinny jeans, tan boots, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag.

Other ways to wearwool maxi cardigan and printed jeans, feather foil scarf and little black dress, leaf print tank worn two ways, Jeanswest prima skinny jeans and kimono, tan boots and shift dress, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag and printed shorts.

Perfect for pregnancyJeanswest prima skinny jeans in second trimester, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag ins econd trimester.



Printed Tanks Under $50:



How You Can Wear It:

Summer pieces can easily be worn into winter with the right layers. Jeans, cardigans, scarves and even ankle boots are a nice way to make a lighter piece winter weather appropriate.


Linking up with Oh Hey Girl, Fashion Files, Weekend Wear, Weekend Linkup, Flashback Fashion.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

73 comments:

  1. I wear a lot of my summer pieces in the winter this very same way! Thank goodness for cardigan and sweaters!

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun way to continue to wear summer tanks year round!

      Delete
  2. I love both of these outfits and I am a fan of getting most out of your wardrobe so I am on board! I too think florals are year round and layering is key when it comes to wearing tanks during cooler months. I love your RM bags! That port mini is my kind of style.

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone in thinking that florals can be worn year round! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Mica
    Here in Portugal it's so cold in the winter that it was impossible to wear a tank with a cardigan and a scarf, we would freeze just with that !!!
    I liked more the first look. I found the tank top more discreet and combined better with the remaining items. Here we continue with a very shy summer nor can I wear my summer dresses !!!


    xoxo


    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, I'm lucky our winter is not so cold that it snows!

      Delete
  4. I do like the second outfit, the way it is layered is beautiful. The color of the tank doesn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the clothes if I had to pinpoint something I didn’t like, but coming from me with zero fashion sense I wouldn’t take that seriously.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always nice when you can use a wardrobe piece across multiple seasons. You've layered your summer tanks perfectly for cooler weather. Hope you are having a good week!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exactly why I don't really change out my clothing in the different seasons....I do want everything to work for both. Of course that's not always the case, but it's nice that some things do!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some pieces don't translate well, but the majority of my summer pieces can be worn in winter too!

      Delete
  7. So true! I love the color palette of that first look, nice and autumn/wintery!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a great idea to wear pieces year-round too, Mica:) Love how you wore the tanks during the colder season. Love both outfits and can see why you like them both. The leaves on the tank and the feathers on the scarf definitely go well together:)
    Hope you're having a lovely day so far:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy! I did like the combination of the feathers and the leves together!

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful outfits! Thanks for sharing!

    http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving how you've styled both your scarves with the long line cardigans, so cozy and stylish! That shade of purple also looks beautiful on you! Thanks for sharing and have a great rest of the week!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really nice way of bringing some pieces from your summer wardrobe into the cooler months of the year. Scarves are always a good bet as well! You look lovely and I hope you're having a wonderful week so far babe :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  12. An excellent tip on getting more mileage out of your wardrobe. What a great idea wearing your summer tanks and scarves in the winter!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb :) I love getting more wear from my wardrobe year-round! :)

      Delete
  13. Since winter here has been warm, I'm wearing a lot of summer clothes You have an amazing collection of scarves! ❤

    xoxo,
    Jessica
    New post on What To Style | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love layering cardigan over tank top for the winter time. Another way I wear tank tops in the winter months in layer them over a long sleeve top. Hope you are having a great week so far. My week has been going good. Just getting ready for my birthday weekend.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a great tip, I should give that a go, thank you! :)

      Delete
  15. I'm thinking your winter is more like our spring! Where are your coats and parkas?? ha ha!

    I like the first outfit very much - the purples of the scarf and bag really add a nice colour element. I'm not so big on the second outfit - I really like everything but the top in this one, though. The pattern of the top doesn't seem to tie in with the browns and greys. However, just a minor quibble - you always look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I'm lucky winter is pretty mild here in Brisbane. Thanks Sheila - Anne said a similar thing above about the colours.

      Delete
  16. I am just like you! I don't ever put my summer clothes away because I find that I can always get use out of them, where my winter clothes are kept in a different room (well just outside by bedroom but still). It's so easy in the winter to wear a short sleeve top with a cardigan over it, or a skirt with over-the-knee boots. Or a personal favorite of mine, dresses with sweaters over them. The key is to layer. I am also a huge scarf person so they are a great way to spruce up any outfit!

    www.beingisabella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my winter pieces are packed away for the warmer months too, but it's good to wear summer pieces through the year!

      Delete
  17. These two looks are adorable. I love the scarfs styled with both of the looks.
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bags are lovely. I like a cosy cardigan because you can layer it and get so much use out of it. I would say it is almost basically a classic you can wear for years with just about anything :) http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2018/07/spotlight-on-coachs-new-look.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this idea! I love throwing cardis over summer tanks or dresses to make them last all year <3
    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love being able to extend the life of my camis and tanks by pairing them with cardigans or blazers! Adding a pretty scarf is a great idea to add some extra warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hahahah you are like me! I never put my summer clothes away. I just wear them all throughout the year!! I was never a layering fan.. but i'm getting used to it! I love the bag as always!

    Ev

    www.petitevie.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you'd definitely need a few more layers than me though, haha!

      Delete
  22. I love the colour schemes of both of these outfits, Mica! The blues and purples in the first outfit are so pretty. The leaf print tank looks great with the berry feather print scarf too. Hope you're having a great week, Mica! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the second outfit because grey is my favourite color and I have a scarf just like that! Definitely like the idea of getting more use out of summer clothes.

    http://jihyun-unni.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful scarf isn't it? Mine was a gift from my sister :)

      Delete
  24. I love both of your bags! We have a style link and would love to have you join! We share our faves on our instastories. Check it out here: The Fashionista Momma xo ~ Megan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the play on purples! Casual yet so fashionable.

    Sheena | www.sheenalovessunsets.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've styled nice your scarves!
    Kisses

    http://www.atrendylifestyle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have some pieces that I consider seasonal and some which are season less. While it would probably be smarter to have a closet that works year round, I can think back to when I'd wear summer skirts in the winter and just felt like it wasn't working. I do think both of your tanks transition well, and I love the addition of the fur pom to the bag - something I'd consider a winter only accessory!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some pieces just don't work that well outside of their proper season, but I find tanks like this are the best for that.

      Delete
  28. I like to try to get the most out of my wardrobe by wearing items year round as well. I find that definitely works better with lightweight pieces which can be layered because there's no way I'll be wearing my cashmere sweaters or wool pants in the summer LOL. I love the pattern mixing you worked with your top and scarf in the second outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yep, the winter woolies stay boxed away outside of winter here!

      Delete
  29. It's always great to have items you know you can style in different ways and make them work for different seasons. Your styling tips are a clever way to maximise your wardrobe, Micah :) By the way, love your new navy card, the color is gorgeous and the fabric seems so cozy!
    xx

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! It really is, was such a good buy!

      Delete
  30. Such a good styling tip- so many summer pieces can be transitioned to colder weather with a little help from the cardigan + scarf section!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  31. You really are a genius at getting the most wear out of the items in your closet. I love that lace top with the oversized purple scarf. You have a great collection of cardis! I need to get more before the fall!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! I've really been working on my cardi collection, I'm so happy with where it's at now.

      Delete
  32. Such a great idea! Love the layers!

    www.jessicabroyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lately I am absolutely crazy about gray bags! Looking fantastic on you!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog and Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are right about wearing piece out of season creatively! While we don't have the four seasons here in Malaysia, I think it's a waste to just wear certain things for certain seasons when you can spice them all up the way you did with the summer tanks here and then accessorize for the winter! Since I get really cold even during the pour, it's safe to say that If I get somewhere as cold as it was there, I'd be clad in my winter's best top to toe. Hahah. Warm wishes to you and your family, Mica! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, I don't like being cold either!

      Delete
  35. Personally I also like some of my summery clothes during the winter, in my opinion some of light dresses could look amazing when you pair it with thick tights, boots and elegant cozy coat :) What's more, I really like your berry scarf ;)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the scarf, a gift from my sister! :)

      Delete
  36. I love that purple scarf and how it is matching with your bag!

    http://whatmakesmesmileblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. You do such a great job of making your wardrobe work for all seasons--I like how you made those tanks work for colder weather. Cardigans and scarves are essentials for fall and winter, and you have such pretty ones!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a comfy and cozy look Mica. I love that you can layer so many colors so easily. Love your video on your scarf collection too!

    x,
    S | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you loved the video!

      Delete
  39. I like keeping my summery pieces out for fall. They really are so easy to layer under cardis and with scarves. I love the second look actually and think the maroon is a perfect shade!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  40. Winter is all about layering and you do it so well, Mica. Love the addition of a purple scarf and handbag.
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Did i mention that violet looks great on you?
    Love it Mica, you look so chic wit those scarves

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
  42. The second look is my favorite. I think the feathers and leaves look great together. I also like to wear florals in the winter and often wear many of the same clothes I wore in the summer.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it, I was a bit unsure about it looking at the photos, but I felt great wearing it.

      Delete
  43. Love your pops of colour. Summer can be so hit and miss with the weather. We are for some reason having really hot weather and I am hoping it stays like this for the school holiday :)Thanks for sharing at Welcome To The Weekend Blog Hop have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Mica, I love to layer my summer tops with my blazers in the winter as well. I am enjoying your display of scarves and how you style them in a cozy and cute way. Thanks for the inspiration always pretty lady!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I sooo love the layers dear! Such a cute way to play with colors.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. wow i love your outfits :)

    great post

    jadieegosh

    ReplyDelete
  47. You are so good at rewearing pieces, Mica, especially out of season! You know I love that purple scarf! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purple is the best colour for accessorising with!

      Delete
  48. I love all of your bags, I love all of the colours
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks all for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I think you can also get away with wearing tanks in the winter because your winter is not as cold as other countries. Aren't we lucky to have such an amazing weather?

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...