Monday 10 September 2018

Monochrome Pencil Skirt Outfits With Long Sleeve Tees And Colourful Scarves

Wearing a few of my recent purchases to the office! I managed to pick up a couple of long sleeved tops at the opshop sale last month. While it was nearing the end of winter in Brisbane and getting warmer, it's still quite chilly when I have my commute to work so I knew the long sleeves would be perfect to wear to the office. I'm lucky my dress code is on the casual side of business casual too so a tee is perfectly acceptable, especially when paired with a pencil skirt as I have here.

Keeping things simple, I stuck with monochrome outfits and added a pop of colour with my scarves, topping off my outfits with the fun tassel statement earrings I also bought last month.

What I wore:


monochrome black winter pencil skirt outfit with cobalt louis vuitton shawl mulberry bays | away from blue

Mulberry oak NVT bayswater heritage bag | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram | cobalt blue louis vuitton monogram shawl scarf with black pencil skirt trench coat

monochrome black tee pencil skirt ankle boots office outfit with cobalt scarf pop of colour | away from blue
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
Earrings: Kmart blue fringe crescent statement earrings (new purchase)
ScarfLouis Vuitton monogram shawl in bleu
Tee: thrifted Maison Scotch black paint splatter print long sleeved tee
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
Shoes: RMK Chester black ankle boots
BagMulberry Bayswater in Oak NVT leather

Why I wore it:

Keeping things really simple and going completely monochrome with the black long sleeve tee and black pencil skirt. I usually plan my outfits the night before, and figured the print on the top would stop the outfit looking too boring. When I put it all on in the morning though, I realised the print on the top wasn't doing enough to add a bit of lightness, especially paired with the black pencil skirt, black tights and ankle boots. Even the navy earrings weren't lifting this enough, it looked a bit drab.

The bright blue Louis Vuitton shawl was the perfect solution - a great pop of colour against the black. It also kept me nice and cosy in the morning. I like that spring like weather is arriving again here in Brisbane, but it's still extremely wintery in the early hours!


Last worn: camel trench, Louis Vuitton shawl, black pencil skirt, black ankle boots, Mulberry Bayswater tote bag. It's the first time I've worn the tee on the blog as it's a recent purchase.

Other ways to wearcamel trench and sheath dress, Louis Vuitton shawl and floral dress, black pencil skirt in autumn, black ankle boots worn 30 ways, Mulberry Bayswater tote bag in summer.

Perfect for pregnancycamel trench in first trimester, black pencil skirt in first trimesterblack ankle boots in second trimester, Mulberry Bayswater tote bag in third trimester.


Mulberry Bayswater After 7 Years:






What I wore:

colorful winter office wear lace pencil skirt with bright orange scarf | away from blue

Mulberry heritage bayswater bag in oak NVT leather | away from the blue

awayfromtheblue instagram | bright winter pencil skirt outfit with orange crinkle scarf
JacketJeanswest Monica Mac coat in Indigo
Earrings: Kmart blue fringe crescent statement earrings (new purchase)
ScarfFashion Scarf Girl plain crinkle scarf in orange (c/o)
Top: thrifted cobalt blue long sleeve tee
SkirtAsos blue textured lace pencil skirt
ShoesAsos leather Chelsea boots in tan
BagMulberry Bayswater in Oak NVT leather

Why I wore it:

Still a monochrome outfit, but sticking with my favourite colour and going blue with the cobalt tee and the lace pencil skirt. I added even more colour to this with the orange scarf, it really pops against blue and I've worn it that way before with a navy dress.


I love how well the navy earrings coordinated with the blues on my outfit and they got a few compliments! I've admired the statement tassel earring trend on the ladies I follow on Instagram for a while, but with particularly curious and grabby toddlers I was sure it was going to be a trend I'd have to let pass me by. Suddenly realised I could do what I do with all other non-kid friendly pieces in my wardrobe and just wear them to work. Even if I do have to take them off as soon as I get home in the afternoon! They were fun to wear and try out for something different from my usual accessories!

While I loved the blue and orange together I really wasn't happy with the ankle boots I chose for this. I am noticing every time I wear these tan boots with black tights it just emphasises how petite I am and makes my legs look a bit stumpy. The longer length pencil skirt doesn't really help! I thought that with the oak Mulberry Bayswater bag it would tie in nicely, but a few times through the day I wished I'd worn my black ankle boots instead.


Last worn: navy macintosh, orange crinkle scarf, blue lace pencil skirt, Chelsea leather boots, Mulberry Bayswater (above). First time I've worn the tee on the blog as it's a recent purchase.

Other ways to wearnavy macintosh and wrap dress, orange crinkle scarf and shift dress, blue lace pencil skirt and blazer, Chelsea leather boots and maxi skirt, Mulberry Bayswater and chambray dress.

Perfect for pregnancyblue lace pencil skirt in third trimester, Chelsea leather boots in second trimester, Mulberry Bayswater in second trimester.



Bright Scarves Under $50:





How You Can Wear It:

A monochrome office outfit makes getting dressed for work easy - even if you haven't planned out your outfit the night before! For an extra touch, you can add a bright contrasting scarf on top. It makes a simple monochrome outfit seem more interesting, keeps you warm on a cold commute and it's a fun way to accessorise.


Linking up with Confident Twosday, Turning Heads, Style Sessions.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

60 comments:

  1. Happy new week Mica! The colder months are all about staying warm and looking cute at the same time:) You nailed that theme perfectly with warm yet bold accessories. I adore the tassels earrings as well. It seems to make the most simple outfit pop beautifully. I can relate to what you said about the booties in the second look:) We petite women need all the illusion of height we can possibly get..haha:)

    Well, I am about to get a good workout in and spend the day with hubby:) Have a wonderful week!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiff! I do love bold accessories :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Mica
    This suitcase is great for an executive who is what you are !!
    You look very professional!
    I love the orange color of your scarf has good vibes.
    You have a successful dress code.
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thank you, the bayswater is a very professional looking bag!

      Delete
  3. I love the second outfit, orange and blue look so good together!
    http://www.lambassadrice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the monochrome look with a pop of colour! The bright orange scarf especially is so lovely, and really makes me think of autumn. Also, I know you said you didn't like those brown boots, but I think they look really nice on you. <3 xoxo

    Kay
    https://www.shoesandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I think I just prefer them without tights!

      Delete
  5. I love how you always use contrasting colours! the bright red and blue somehow give me Christmassy vibes? I'm probably just excited for December lol, you look lovely!

    Amy x Wandering Everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tassel earrings are such a fun addition to both of these outfits. I'm glad you figured out a way to make them work in your lifestyle without having to worry about grabby hands!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so pleased I can try the trend! :)

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love the pop of colour with the scarfs - especially the blue one!!

    Hope you're having an awesome start to the week :)

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your bag; the design is great of course, but the size is also idea for everyday essentials without having to still carry a ton of items in your hands haha! Oh and YES to the cobalt blue scarf; very flattering :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby :) I love the way it pops against the black!

      Delete
  9. I am such a fan of monochromatic looks, Mica, and you pulled these off really well. I love how accented both outfits with the pop of colour from the scarves.
    PS I don't think those ankle boots made you look shorter! They look great:)
    PPS I've always been a fan of the Bayswater and I may be slightly jealous:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pop of color with the scarves! My daughter surprisingly leaves my statement earrings alone. I tell her "one finger touch" and she will touch them and then forget them. She pays less attention to them than necklaces or bracelets. Love the ones you got.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boys are obsessed with them, they love my accessories! I also had a family member's earlobe destroyed when someone grabbed their earring so I'm very cautious!

      Delete
  11. I love the monochrome with a pop of color look. I think you pulled it off wonderfully in both cases, but the black is my favorite. Hope you have a great week.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can never go wrong with a monochrome outfit. You so have me wanting to add an orange scarf to my collection. Have a great week.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! It's a really fun colour to have!

      Delete
  13. Love the first look, all black with the bright blue scarf.
    I am not too sold on the second look, the colors look great but the blue top here does not do the magic for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena :) I always appreciate your honest opinion :)

      Delete
  14. I really love the monochromatic look, and I always appreciate your beautiful bags.

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
  15. the first look is so stylish! LOVE how the color blue pops out amazingly. it's so interesting how you match bold colors together x
    have a wonderful day, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the brighter colors of the scarves with these looks! I could have used a scarf today, it got super cold (well, cold for September) and rainy all of a sudden...GRR
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be layering up soon! Hope you get a few more days of summer though!

      Delete
  17. What a gorgeous selection of scarfs! It's funny you have literally picked out the same vibrant colours I chose for some new Tank Tops to go with Jeans, the same blue and vivid orange.

    Gorgeous colours and they suit you SO nicely!

    Hope you're doing well my beautiful friend :)

    Lots of love,

    Laura xo
    www.shehearts.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! They are such nice colours to wear! :)

      Delete
  18. How fun is that orange scarf! Spring is here in Adelaide too, except for the cold winds that blow here and there. But love that we can now enjoy some sunshine!

    www.jeannieinabottleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same in Brisbane - lots of sunshine but a little windy still!

      Delete
  19. Both monochrome outfits really make your lovely accessories pop, Mica! The blue scarf is absolutely gorgeous and brings out your eyes. Those new earrings are fab too and match so nicely. The orange scarf looks so pretty against the blue in the second outfit. Orange and blue is such a pretty combo. Hope you're having a great week so far. ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great outfit . Love the bag

    torichux3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. the fall is kicking in sooner than I expect.

    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2018/09/taking-perfect-selfie-wearing-nike-air.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, it was winter when I wore these outfits in Australia! :)

      Delete
  22. Great looks, but I LOVE the all black with that gorgeous pop of blue!!
    So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Mica,
    blue is your colour, look at the first picture how perfect the scarf is matching with your eyes! I love both looks and I can imagine you are happy with the long sleeves that keep you warm. And I'm not surprised what you get that compliments!
    Enjoy this week!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rena :) I do love wearing blue.

      Delete
  24. Monochrome for the win! I love the bright pops of color, too- adds some oomph and keeps things fresh!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how your scarves pack such a lovely pop of color! I need to wear mine more (though they are mostly silk ones!) I have similar tassel earrings too and they are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silk scarves would be great for wearing the whole year! :)

      Delete
  26. I need to come steal theses scarves from your house. I'm really loving how vibrant they are. Such happy colours!! You look great Mica. :-)
    Hope your week is going well.

    https://www.missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thank you! The orange one is just $10, so affordable!

      Delete
  27. I love both scarves, but I especially love that first one! Cobalt looks so good on you, girl! Thanks for sharing and I hope you're having a great start to your week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
  28. The tassel earrings are so much fun! I love buying things like that, but rarely wear them.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am really making the most of my work days to wear the pretty but not so kid friendly pieces! :)

      Delete
  29. I love the pop of blue in the first outfit! You always use the best accessories with your outfits and it's kind of cool that your dress code at work is more on the casual side! You look lovely! Have a great week!

    -PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com
    instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the business casual dress code gives me a lot more options with what I wear! :)

      Delete
  30. Ooh I do love those fun tassel earrings but I get how fascinating they can be for little grabby hands too. I usually reserve all my fun jewelry for work too :) I love the pop of blue in that first look, it works so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky to have that opportunity to wear pretty pieces, hehe! I'm sure I'll embrace wearing them more when the boys are bigger :)

      Delete
  31. You always have the coziest layers dear. Love scarf, such a chic pop of color from your outfit!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. The navy and orange play so well together! I also love that bright blue scarf you wore with the first monochrome outfit. It's so bright and pretty on you!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  33. You've really done well with your scarves lately, Mica! Both of these really make both outfits sing. Love the tassel earrings - they are so pretty with your hair back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I feel you don't get to see them well with my hair down!

      Delete
  34. oooo, that bag is luscious! love the shape and classic style!
    Love the cobalt blue scarf against your outfits. looks wonderful. I am trying to be patient about Fall weather :-)
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, you'll have cooler weather soon I'm sure! :)

      Delete
  35. I would absolutely wear both of these outfits! Your earrings are so pretty and I love how the bright scarves really pop against the darker clothes! I have total bag envy over here too!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really love your printed pencil skirt - your office attire is always so cute and comfy!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks all for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...