Wednesday 4 October 2017

Maxi Dresses in Spring and Steam Train Sunday

Maxi dresses are such an easy outfit - extremely comfortable, very little thought required, but they still look like you put some effort into what you're wearing.

After having lost my voice a few weeks back and feeling a bit under the weather, but with a busy weekend ahead, I pulled out more maxi dresses. I really wanted to stay in bed in my pyjamas, but this was the next best thing!

What I wore:

black maxi dress with denim jacket spring SHAM style birthday party outfit | AwayFromBlue

Roie Design and Yondale and Tiffany Bracelet Stack with black maxi dress, Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: Bubblegum denim jacket
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
Dressblack Jeanswest halterneck maxi dress
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs silver tuxedo flats
Bracelets: the usual plus Roie Designs pearl, howlite and hematite beaded bracelets
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC

Why I wore it:

After a tough day the day before which involved only being able to whisper despite having two energetic and mischievous toddlers, I contemplated cancelling our plans on Saturday. With a first birthday party and leaving party to attend though I knew I couldn't let the boys miss out. Knowing I wasn't contagious, it didn't feel right not letting the boys spend time with their friends. It was quite a sad farewell, one of my friends is moving away and our children have grown up together, her two girls are similar ages to my two boys.

I like maxi dresses and denim jackets together, especially for spring, so I repeated the outfit formula again. The colorful silicone teething necklace broke up the monochrome outfit a bit and was just enough of a pop with the black maxi dress and silver bag and ballet flats.


Last worn: denim jacket, black maxi dress, bow detail flats, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC.

Other ways to wear: denim jacket worn 30 waysblack maxi dress and kimono, bow detail flats and wrap dress, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC.

Perfect for pregnancy: denim jacket and third trimester bump, maxi dress in second trimester, mini MAC in third trimester.



Rebecca Minkoff Metallic Mini MAC Bags:







What I wore:

pink maxi dress for spring steam train sunday silver mini MAC grey cardi scarf as belt | Away From Blue

pink maxi dress, Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC | Away From THe Blue
Jacket: Paper Scissors grey wrap cardigan
Necklace: Nibbly Bits BB plum silicone teething necklace (C/O)
DressMEV Havana maxi dress C/O Zibibo
Beltblue Coach twilly scarf
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in silver)
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC

Why I wore it:

I was upset to be feeling unwell on this day as we had been looking forward to it for months! Toddler T loves trains but has never actually been on one. We decided to take him along to Steam Train Sunday as a surprise. I've included a little video below. The train does a loop around the city for about an hour, and he loved every bit of it!

We got there early to the station to watch the train come in and he was so excited, especially when we said he could go for a ride on it. It's definitely worth it if you're in Brisbane! You get to walk around the train carriage, between the carriages, and to talk to some of the staff who can tell you more about the train and the history. Fun way to spend a morning, and toddler T spent quite a few days afterwards telling everyone about his trip!





Again I wanted something easy, but also to get a little dressed up as it was a big family day out. This trusty pink maxi dress was a good solution. I tend to wear it pretty similarly every time now, so I tried something a little different with the blue Coach silk scarf as a belt instead of my usual Louis Vuitton bandeau. While I liked the colour combination of this, I did find this scarf slid around a lot more than my bandeau and I don't think I'll pair these pieces together again.

One thing to note with steam train Sunday is the soot. We were nearer the middle of the train and had the window open all the time. With trips out onto the walkway between the carriages as well, we did get a little sooty. Nothing a quick bath couldn't clear up afterwards though.


Last worn: grey cardigan, Coach silk scarf, Mothers En Vogue maxi dress, black ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC (above).

Other ways to weargrey cardigan and skinny jeans, Coach silk scarf tied on a bag, Mothers En Vogue maxi dress for dinner with friends, black ballet flats and wrap dress, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC and printed jeans.

Perfect for pregnancy: maxi dress at 39 weeksblack ballet flats and maternity pencil skirtmini MAC disguising an early second trimester bump.



Maxi Dresses Under $50:








How You Can Wear It:


Maxi dresses are instant outfits. If it's a little cooler, add a simple layer like a denim jacket or a neutral cardigan. While it takes very little effort, a maxi dress looks pulled together enough for a party and casual enough for a trip on the train.



Linking up with Fashion Files, Fun Fashion, Fabulous Friday, Flashback Fashion, Weekend Wear, Friday Favourites, Passion for Fashion.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

52 comments:

  1. Loving the bag with this look! Love your style x

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a lovely family day out together, and that steam train must have been so much fun. :) Really loving your outfits as always, hun, they are so stylish but also look very comfortable which is a great combo especially when you're out and about! Thanks for sharing, lovely. xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're feeling better Mica!!
    You always looks so nice, and I love that you wear your maxis so much!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore a maxi on you...super cute with a jean jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew a bug was going around, but apparently it's going on around the world :( I lost my voice a little while back as well, and I'm only just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you're feeling better. Have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard when you lose your voice! I'm glad you got it back! :)

      Delete
  6. Losing your voice is the worse! Been there. Glad you're doing better Mica. Your family always goes on the best outings. Love maxi dresses on you. I love maxi dresses and skirts.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, I try think of fun things for the kids to do! :)

      Delete
  7. I hope you are feeling better Mica! Maxi dresses are always a good idea! They are easy and so stylish. Love both of these looks!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute, I love pairing maxi dresses with denim. Great look!

    xoxo Falasha
    Bite My Fashion


    Instagram| Bloglovin'| Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how easy and comfy maxi dresses are--they really do feel like PJs! I hope you're feeling better now. It's definitely not easy to lose your voice when you have little ones to take care of! The steam train adventure sounds like it was a blast--Jona would love something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The next best thing is always to be comfortable and I think maxi dresses are definitely great for that. How fun to go on a steam train! I hope you feel a lot better soon. /Madison
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you're feeling better soon, Mica! Still glad you got to have fun despite not feeling the greatest, though. Sounds like toddler T had a blast too, haha. I think it's the cutest how excited kids are when they tell people about what they did!

    Sam / My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that steam train is awesome! I bet your little one was so excited! I love trains too.

    You're so right - maxi dresses are the next best thing to pajamas! I don't know why more women don't wear them! You look fabulous, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are the stylish socially acceptable alternative to PJs, haha!

      Delete
  13. Ugh! Totally feel for you, Mica. One thing we can't do as a mama is call in a sick day, you know? But you look great nonetheless on both outfits:) And thanks for the vid! I love trains. I wish we have something like that here in Toronto. So not the same as the subway:P
    PS Thank you so much for you lovely message about my sister's condition:) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maxi dresses look perfect on you Mica. Hope, your voice will be back soon.

    Nina's Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agreed! Maxis are like a one and done outfit lol. Awww that's so sweet that you guys had a lovely trip on the train! Hope your sons had a great time :) And hope you're feeling better!

    Mili | sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
  16. My boys would love to see a train like that! We have a train somewhat near here like Thomas the train, I've always wanted to take them to. I'm with you on maxi dresses, so comfy and perfect for when you're not feeling well.

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look beautiful in both dresses! The bold necklaces are the perfect addition.

    My son loves trains too. I think it's a typical boy obsession!

    Carly at A Modern Mom Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. The both looks are lovely! Beautiful!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That maxi looks stunning on you :)

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mica! You look fabulous and your maxi dresses are my fav and inspiring! Your metallic bag is very versatile and I adore how you accessorize with it.
    I'm so grateful you are feeling better! I pray good health for you. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I bet he loved it! My son is into huge building machines at the moment, everyday we need to stop by a construction site near our house to watch them roll around and do whatever they are supposed to do. It is way too cold for a maxi dress though!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your bobble necklaces! Maxi dresses are so comfortable. I hope you feel better soon!

    simplylovebirds.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bet your boys had a brilliant time! My boy was so into Paw Patrols but now he's all about Transformers thanks to my husband. LOL!

    Shireen⎜Reflection of SanityBurberry Beauty Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do tend to change frequently! My little ones have constantly been obsessed with trains though - maybe I'll have some train drivers, I'll need to get my cousin to tell them what it's like doing that!

      Delete
  24. Dear Mica,
    it is definitely a great idea to wear a maxi dress if one doesn't feel well like you did - nearly as good as the desired pyjama! Love both maxi dress looks and this was such a cute surprise that you had this drive with the train. But so sorry you suffered through the soot ...
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the soot washed off in the end!

      Delete
  25. My son used to be so into trains! I miss that stage! I love both of these dresses on you! I love the look a denim jacket adds to a maxi dress. I also love that necklace in the first outfit!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel like I may be coming down with something, I am exhausted from my trip to Paris, it was fun but I am wiped out. Glad you went to the party for your boys sake and yes that is a bit sad.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loooove how maxi dresses look when paired with denim jackets - it's such a perfect pairing! Hope you're having a lovely week babe :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love a great maxi dress, it's such a simple clothing item to wear and look great in it.. I like both on you.. the black with the jean jacket, is very pretty and the pink is a great color on you xox

    ReplyDelete
  29. Always love the maxi dress and denim jacket on you!!!

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Maxi dresses have been my go-to all spring and summer long! I like your layering because that would help them transition into fall for me. Your accessories are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fun! What is it about kids and forms of public transport, they all seem to love it. I always wonder if Miss L will love the bus so much when she has to catch it twice a day for work, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, it's the novelty factor I think!

      Delete
  32. You look lovely in maxi dresses. I especially love the first one. The train ride looks amazing. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love maxi dresses because they are so easy to style. They can also be worn year round and that is just a yes in my book!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love a simple black maxi dress with a little denim jacket, such a classic and simple style! Xx

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your black maxi dress looks super pulled-together! You'd never know you weren't feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love maxi dresses for fall! They are so comfortable and can be styled many different ways. It was a good idea to select both a colorful one and a black one, because they both create such unique looks. I hope you're feeling better.
    Thank you for linking up this week!

    ~xo Sheree
    PoshClassyMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh i lost my voice too on Friday, it was awful, specially considering that on saturday i had to dictate a 4hour workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you did it, but I'm pleased it went well in the end! :)

      Delete
  38. Thanks all for your lovely comments - it was a great day out on the train and I was glad to get my voice back properly not long after! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...