Friday 2 March 2018

30 Ways to Wear a Grey Maxi Skirt: #30Wears Challenge Outfits

A 30 wears post with this classic grey marle jersey maxi skirt is so overdue. It's been worn nearly 50 times (48 exactly!) since I bought it in my third trimester four years ago.

The #30wears challenge is committing to wearing things you buy at least 30 times. As I take daily outfit photos, I have over 6 years of outfits to look back on and see all the different times I've worn things. Blog labels and searches in the archives come in helpful for pulling these posts together, and it's fun to see how many things I've hit 30 wears on.

#30Wears: Grey Marle Jersey Maxi Skirt


30 ways to wear a grey jersey maxi skirt | away from the blue blog #30wears

It's no secret that I love maxi skirts, and I've posted a few #30 wears posts featuring some of my maxi skirt collection (see them at the end of the post).

Maxi skirts are for petites too! I got lucky with this Target one, the perfect petite friendly length with no hemming required. It was $25, so that's 52 cents a wear so far on it. It's got a lot of life left in it still, and it's not going anywhere from my wardrobe. Not bad for an impulsive pregnancy buy four years ago!


Maxi Skirt and Graphic Tees (and a Tank)


outfit ideas grey jersey maxi skirt and graphic tees | away from the blue

A plain grey maxi skirt makes it easy to wear fun printed graphic tees, as it's a great neutral base. Even though one of these is a graphic tank instead of a tee, you can see it's still just as simple to wear. A nice easy outfit to pull together, the graphic top adds interest that the plain skirt lacks.


Maxi Skirt and Long Sleeve Tops


3 ways to wear grey maxi skirt and long sleeve tops | awayfromtheblue


Maxi skirts work well in cooler weather with long sleeve tops. The long skirt protects your legs from the cold and keeps you cosy, and a longer sleeved top is an extra layer for a cooler day. If it's really cold, a scarf makes you even warmer. Again, you can see in these three outfits that the plain maxi skirt base means you can add fun printed scarves, bright colours, or even a top with embroidery detail, without your outfit feeling too overpowering.


Maxi Skirt and Layers


6 different ways to layer a maxi skirt for cooler weather | awayfromblue

Sometimes you need a little more than a long sleeve top with a maxi skirt. As I wear my maxi skirts year-round, I've worn them with all kinds of layers. You can see the variety in these outfits, with a denim jacket, cardigans, a blazer, and a kimono. I've also worn this skirt in the middle of winter with a leather jacket when it's been really cold. These layering options are great pieces to add in spring or autumn when it's too cool to wear a skirt and top on it's own.


Grey Maxi Skirt And Summer Outfits


3 easy ways to wear a grey maxi skirt in summer | away from blue

A maxi skirt is really made for summer though, it makes summer dressing easy. And if you have babies or toddlers, the long maxi length means you can run around with them and not worry about things being too short or showing more than you intended when you bend over to pickup the kids, or something they've dropped for the tenth time that day, ha!


Grey Maxi Skirt and Monochromatic Outfits


3 monochromatic outfit ideas with grey jersey maxi skirt | awayfromtheblue

Lots of colourful outfits so far, but you can go completely neutral with a grey skirt and create a monochrome or monochromatic outfit. I like the two shades of grey together on the end there, but with the black v-neck tee is my favourite. I'm still sad that tee didn't survive through too many incorrect wash cycles on the washing machine and had to leave my wardrobe.


Jersey Maxi Skirt In Pregnancy


jersey maxi skirt in third trimester | away from the blue blog

third trimester outfits with jersey stretchy maxi skirt | away from the blue

Since I bought this maxi skirt while I was pregnant, it makes sense that the most frequent way to wear it has been with a baby bump. It's been so nice having this piece that I could wear through my third trimesters with both my boys - and still be wearing and loving it afterwards. I'm impressed the elastic has held up too, they were pretty big baby bumps near the end!


Jersey Maxi Skirt Postpartum


postpartum outfit ideas with a grey maxi skirt | away from the blue blog

Forgiving jersey material, a soft stretchy elastic waistband, all the things I loved about this skirt in pregnancy make it a great postpartum choice too. Much nicer pulling this on in the newborn days than attempting to squeeze into something with buttons, a zipper, or zero stretch! Having something you know will still fit and make you feel great makes getting dressed easy after being up all night with a newborn, and anything to make parenting easier is a winner!


Grey Maxi Skirt for Travel


travel style with a grey jersey maxi skirt: outfit ideas | awayfromtheblue


I've gone on about how great this jersey maxi skirt is to wear, but the material is perfect to travel with too! It's comfortable for a long day of sightseeing, it can be crumpled up in a carry on bag and doesn't need ironing at your destination. For pregnancy travel (the middle pic) it was wonderful, and for running around Sydney with two toddlers (the left and right photos) it works just as well.



It makes me happy to have a piece in my wardrobe that's wrapped around my baby bump for both boys that's still going strong. It's nice to put together a post like this and see the bumps at different stages. So many fun memories attached to the times I've worn this skirt. I'm enjoying continuing the 30 wears challenge this year as it's great putting these posts together.



Grey Jersey Maxi Skirts Under $50:





This Target skirt is no longer available, but above are some great alternatives, all under $50!




30 Ways to Wear a Grey Maxi Skirt (In Video Format):





More Posts in the #30Wears Series:


Perfect if you're looking for more ways to wear outfit inspiration! Alternative, see all the 48+ ways I've worn this skirt in my blog archives.


Linking up with Passion for Fashion, Lizzie In Lace, Shoe & Tell, Mix It Monday, Hello Monday, On Monday We Link Up, Modest Monday, Wardrobe Wednesday.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

66 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for elasticated material. That was a very good buy as you wore it throughout your pregnancy also. You showed some really nice ways of wearing the skirt paired with those beautiful bags, which elevated the looks to another level. Love the skirts for under $50 too.
    Greetings from cold Switzerland
    xo Yvonne
    www.aproposh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, elasticated waists are the best, haha!

      Delete
  2. Jersey skirts are sooo versatile and I find I wear things with elasticated waistbands much more than anything else haha! This is such a great way to look back and see how much you've work something and also a great way of getting some outfit inspo! Hope you have a lovely weekend!
    Amy xx
    callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love a good elasticated waist! :)

      Delete
  3. I love the ways you styled it! It looks so cute.
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post, it was good to see how you styled your jersey skirt in different ways. I like them all! Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies - fashion and beauty blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's so versatile! I need to get shopping!!
    Have a lovely weekend :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's definitely a closet hero! Not sure I have anything that's been worn over 50 times (other than a purse or jeans)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been interesting seeing how many times I've worn things as I tally them up on the blog - some surprises!

      Delete
  7. I have loved seeing how you style your maxi skirt. This one seems so versatile as you have worn it so many ways both pregnant and not!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many cute ideas! This grey skirt is super versatile!

    Scent of Summer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you calculate the cost per wear, that really puts clothing item prices into perspective.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting to do and shows how much value I get from some of my pieces! :)

      Delete
  10. I love how many different ways/tops you've worn the maxi skirt!! The style looks great with pregnancy too! x

    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic, darling! So lovely!
    Enjoy in weekend! New post is on my blog! ♥
    Visit me, Malefica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! So awesome to see all the ways you styled this maxi skirt, Mica. This is truly such a versatile piece in your wardrobe. I need to find or make something like this! I think my only items that get worn this much are my UNIQLO leggings. I definitely need a maxi skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a maxi skirt is a staple! I definitely wear them a lot :)

      Delete
  13. Hello Biki from MyFashionSlashLife here! You've certainly shown that a maxi grey skirt with an elastic waist is the gift that keeps on giving- I'm all about it!Love how you've found so many different ways to wear it- with prints, accessories, shirts tucked in, blouses left loose- brava!
    Have a lovely wkend hon and thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing your interview garage story (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Mica😎
    Wowww you wear your clothe a lot😉
    I love maxi skirts too because i m short this kind of skirts made me look longer i guess😁
    Hope you had a great weekend. . Here its rainning a lot😑
    Xoxo from Portugal

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, fellow petite lady who loves a maxi skirt here! :)

      Delete
  15. I wish I can lower down the cost per wear of my clothes too, this is always helpful, fun and creative kind of post. I like where you paired the maxi skirt with yellow top and yellow bag and also with summer tops. Still very sunny here in Sydney, looks like it's summer forever here which is not really a bad thing. Wishing you a great week ahead dear!

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer always tends to hang around a little longer here in Brisbane too! Glad you find the post fun :)

      Delete
  16. So many great styles. I love how you give so many ideas and photos on how to style one piece on here! I need to look in my closet to see if I still have my gray maxi. I think I do, but I haven't worn it in forever. With the Spring coming up, I need to get it back out and borrow some of these ideas! :)

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some ideas! Hope you do still have it!

      Delete
  17. What a versatile item! Love that you wore it though your pregnancy too. You have such a great way for styling the same items differently.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will give maxi skirt a go again this Summer and this serves as a great inspiration!

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love the maxi skirt when you try it! :)

      Delete
  19. Dear Mica, obviously the quality of your maxi skirt is really good as you wore it even during 2 pregnancies! I love the ways you styled this skirt and I see such a skirt is very versatile. It is even recognisable how much you love this skirt due to the bright smile you show when wearing this skirt! Enjoy your weekend!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,it's such great quality, even though the price was quite low! :)

      Delete
  20. Who would say that a grey maxi skirt could be so versatile? Great looks!
    xx
    http://www.lambassadrice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowie zowie you really got your money's worth on this skirt. Excellent! I have black blazer that I have probably worn 30 times but never documented it haha.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! I have so many pieces I've worn a lot pre-blog that I'm sure I must have worn more than 30 times, but I only have the last 6 years of regular outfit photos!

      Delete
  22. That gray maxi skirt is such a versatile piece! I love all the ways you styled it--especially your travel looks. I just love the colors you have going on in those looks. I'm always so impressed by your dedication to getting 30 wears with your clothes--it makes me want to keep better track of how often I wear pieces too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is eye-opening when you start counting up how often (or infrequently!) some pieces are worn! :) I'm enjoying the challenge!

      Delete
  23. You have so many chic ways to style this maxi skirt! I love wearing them during travel...they are so comfy and chic!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  24. That grey maxi skirt is really cute, and I love that it can be styled in so many ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you took this grey maxi and added so many great pop of colors with your shirts.

    Anngelik M
    anngelikmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow this is such a good buy and its amazing to see it worn so many times in different ways and seasons :)

    http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous and versatile skirt, Mica! It looks great all of the ways you've styled it. I especially like the winter and travel outfits. It's great to see how you can style the same item of clothing in so many ways over time. I love these retrospective posts, Mica! Hope you've had a great weekend. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! I'm always so happy to hear people enjoy the posts! They are a little different from the usual for me so are fun to pull together!

      Delete
  28. Your skirt is really cute! I love all of the different ways you styled it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. love these looks hon.. you look amazing in all
    https://zunera-serena.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, 30 wears out of this is amazing! Well done, you! It's a really great middle grey, and the cut is very simple, so it does its job of making your tops shine.

    Just getting caught up on your posts since I've been gone - I can't comment on every one, but some good looks, and lots of colour. I really like your grey cardi/skinny jeans/purple look from a week or so back - very chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! it is a great neutral basic :) And thanks so much for your sweet comment, I know you have been so busy so appreciate you taking the time!

      Delete
  31. This skirt is so versatile! I love all the ways you styled it!

    <3 Shannon 
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, it's such a versatile piece! You're really getting your money's worth out of the one skirt lol!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that skirt, it goes with everything
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. That great skirt has done so well! It has been a great buy for you.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are definitely getting your money's worth of this skirt - anything that can transition through two pregnancies is pretty impressive.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Elastic waistbands are the best! haha!

      Delete
  36. I don't have a grey maxi, but I do have grey jeans and I am getting loads of style inspiration from this! I love the bright pink scarf you paired with your skirt! What a great combination! This skirt has definitely served you well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could give you some outfit inspiration, I think all of these outfits would work with jeans instead of the skirt! :)

      Delete
  37. Probably one of the easiest way to get that many wears out of it. Such a great neutral with so many ways to wear it!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is what I love about grey, it's so versatile, and really easy to style. You're rocking it effortlessly dear! Love your summer outfits with the maxi skirt.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I think it looks so good with colors, solids and prints. Plus, monochromatic with other shades of grey. Nice outfits Mica!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. 0.52 cents per wear !!! YAY ! that's fabulous Mica :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a versatile skirt! I'm not much of a maxi skirt wearer, but you always rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your maxi skirt is so versatile! Loving all these ideas. Really convinces me to buy one of my own since I can envision what to wear with it now! :)

    Kim
    Simply Lovebirds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey, glad I could give you some ideas for ways to wear a maxi skirt :)

      Delete
  43. That must be THE most versatile skirt ever! I love your "30 ways to wear" series! And I love that you worked out the cost per wear!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid! It has been such a useful skirt to have :)

      Delete
  44. It's way more than just a jersey maxi skirt. It's a tale of family and love! Gorgeous! Can't beat that cost per wear either!

    Thank you for joining Wardrobe Wednesday at Kimba Likes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! So interesting seeing the progression over the years!

      Delete
  45. Thank you all for your comments - glad you enjoyed the post and that it could give you some outfit ideas and inspiration for your own wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...