Monday 31 July 2017

Outfits for Expressing Breastmilk at Work: Pumping Friendly Dresses

It can be difficult finding affordable, stylish and professional breastfeeding friendly clothes! If you're returning to work while your baby is small you may need to find things you can wear that allow you to express breast milk through the day.

While I've expressed breastmilk for my babies at home and when out and about (like at a wedding!), I haven't had to express in the office or negotiate any pumping breaks during my day. I do know from my experiences outside the office that these outfits would work perfectly for expressing. They are ideal for attending and facilitating meetings too.


One more thing to note before I get to the outfits is that you have legal rights in Australia that allow you to continue to work and breastfeed - you can read more here to find out how to get the support you need to return to work while breastfeeding. "It is generally against the law to refuse to make arrangements to assist you to breastfeed at work, if these are reasonable". Your rights in more detail.

What I wore:

witner expressing friendly office outfits for pumping breastmilk wrap dress trench coat | AwayFromBlue

black white wrap dress, camel trench, Marc By Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran bag with gold hardware | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
Scarf: star print pashmina
DressAtmos&Here Arlette jersey wrap dress
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in silver)
BagMarc By Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran bag with gold hardware in carob brown

Why I wore it:

This dress is one of the handful of pieces I've bought that failed the 'wear twice in a month after buying it' rule. I bought it while on maternity leave, not wanting to pass on the sale bargain and knowing I'd get a lot of wear out of it when I returned to the office. I do like wrap dresses for easy breastfeeding, but this one seemed a little out of place in summer when I wore it and so it was put aside until my return to work. This is only it's second wear now, 7 months after I bought it!

Glad I bought it though, it is perfect for the office. I layered a colourful tank underneath but you can't really see it with all the layers on top! Really enjoyed wearing this, and I enjoyed getting out this Marc Jacobs Fran bag again too. It only really gets worn to the office so it's been a while since I've worn this too, over a year and a half!


Last worn: camel trench, star print scarfzig zag print wrap dress, Walnut Melbourne Ava ballet flats, Marc by Marc Jacobs Fran.

Other ways to wearcamel trench and pencil skirts, star print scarf and skinny jeans, zig zag print wrap dress worn outside the office, black ballet flats and printed jeans, Marc by Marc Jacobs Fran and skinny jeans.


Perfect for pregnancy: trench coat and hidden first trimester bump, star print scarf and second trimester bump, black ballet flats and maternity pencil skirt, Marc Jacobs Fran bag in second trimester.



Wrap Dresses Under $50:







What I wore:

easy outfit for expressing breastmilk in office winter printed wrap dress | Away From Blue

printed wrap dress, Marc By Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran bag with gold hardware in carob brown | AwayFromTheBlue
Tank: Kmart navy ribbed tank
DressAtmos&Here Betsy jersey wrap dress in watercolour print
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs black logo plaque ballet flats
BagMarc By Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran bag with gold hardware in carob brown

Why I wore it:

Unlike the wrap dress above, this one has been worn quite a few times since I bought it while pregnant. Even though I bought it a size larger than normal to accommodate a growing baby bump in my final trimester, being a wrap dress it still fits nicely without the bump.

Decided to go with the blue coat, scarf and tank underneath too. I like all the blue with the turquoise print of the dress. I didn't feel quite as confident in this dress as I did in the same one with a different print above. Only because I kept stopping to realise through the day that the last time I'd been in the office with this dress I was pregnant, and it made me miss my boys. Hopefully it will be easier next time I wear this dress, I'll spend less time caught in my own thoughts.


Returning to work is an emotional time, compounded by baby boy not adjusting to the change well and having disrupted sleep. Walking into a meeting room, or the lift, or the kitchen, or sitting at my desk and realising last time I did those things in this dress I was pregnant made it a bit of a tough day to get through as my boys were always at the forefront of my mind.


Last worn: navy mac, cobalt scarf, navy tank, printed wrap dress, black ballet flats, Marc by Marc Jacobs Fran bag (above).

Other ways to wearnavy mac and chambray dress, cobalt scarf with monochrome maxi skirt outfit, navy tank and printed shorts, printed wrap dress and ankle boots, black ballet flats, Marc by Marc Jacobs Fran bag and burgundy pants.

Perfect for pregnancy: wrap dress in the last trimesterFran bag at 40 weeks pregnant.



More Wrap Dresses Under $50:








How You Can Wear It:


A wrap dress is a classic wardrobe item that a lot of people have. They are timeless, suit so many different people and are usually pretty affordable. The wrap detail makes access for breastfeeding easy, and it's this feature that makes them a good dress choice for anyone who has to express too. You can easily layer a breastfeeding singlet underneath, or quickly slip them off to put on a pumping bra instead if you have one.

A wrap dress can make you look and feel good, meet corporate office dress codes and work for you if you're returning to work and breastfeeding or expressing.




Linking up with On Trend, Turning Heads, Confident Twosday, Style Sessions, Style File, Fashion Frenzy, Style On The Daily, Oh Hey Girl, Thursday Fashion Files, On Trend.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

40 comments:

  1. Glad to hear about legal rights in Australia that allow you to continue to work and breastfeed for my future reference. Hope the adjustment gets easier for you and your boys!

    www.jeannieinabottleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember well what it felt like returning to work. It was definitely emotional! I hope the transition gets a bit easier for all of you.

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a helpful post--I know plenty of moms who would appreciate this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! Hope you can share it with them :)

      Delete
  4. gorgeous look! I like the add of scarf in both looks - it totally makes a twist!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look amazing in these wrap dresses Mica, love your bag too.

    Nina's Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have been allowed to bf at work or take pumping breaks, but as I stayed home for a long time and did not feed for very long it was never an issue.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving both of these! And I love how more and more companies are adjusting to women's needs these days. Back in the day stuff like this was so taboo. Super dumb!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so lucky I have the opportunities I do now, I'm very grateful!

      Delete
  8. I think it should be a legal right in every country to allow mother's who are still breastfeeding to pump when they are back to work. You look amazing in both dresses and I love that you can still wear both after pregnancy.

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I wish that the benefits we have in Australia were available in more places!

      Delete
  9. This is great. Thanks for sharing.
    Vaishali
    http://www.vivaciouswish.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this Mica, especially since I do have to pump at work! I'm very fortunate that my job makes it pretty easy on me to take pump breaks. I have an office with a door that closes and locks, so it's not too big of a hassle. I think that here in the US companies are legally obligated to work with breastfeeding mothers too (although many companies don't make it very easy).
    I feel for you though, going back to work is never easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's awesome you have your own office! I agree I've heard some companies make it difficult. Lucky mine is supportive!

      Delete
  11. Aw, that must be hard, thinking of your boys, but remember what an awesome example you are giving them by being a working mum! Both dresses are lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have pumped at work in the past and plan to do so when I return to work after my maternity leave with this one. I am hoping I can schedule it so it's only once a day because it can be difficult. Wrap dresses are a great solution to many life situations like pregnancy, breastfeeding, and pumping! I really like these 2 dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they really are wardrobe classics for so many situations!

      Delete
  13. Both are cute outfits!! Thanks for joining in on the Style File Link Up today!!

    -Karen
    http://LadyinViolet.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a tough time, Mica. But at least you have a good attitude. And both dresses really look so fabulous on you.
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the details of the both looks!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can only imagine how difficult it must be getting back to work after maternity... The transition can't be easy after such a long time, but don't worry hun, you will settle down soon. The outfits are so lovely and very practical! I love how you layered them and the blue scarf is just too pretty. <3 Hope you're well! xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Returning to work is hard and definitely harder when you know one of your kiddos is having a hard time too. It gives mom guilt. I'm sorry. I hope it gets better with time and the knowledge that you feel this is ultimately the right thing for you and your family as you all adjust. I always appreciate you being supportive of women and breastfeeding and bringing up the topic. These are both such great dresses!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wrap dresses are so nice! Love the tulip hem of both of these. I also love how you layer clothes Mica. Both outfits look really good.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dress is so cute and you look super chic!

    Camila,
    My Vogue Style | www.myvoguestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally agree with breastfeeding and a wrap dress or top. It totally works and looks great on everyone! I can't imagine going back to work. I know it's an adjustment and everything will eventually fall into place.

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wrap dresses are the absolute best for breast feeding! I love these looks and how you styled them!

    xx,Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love both dresses Mica and I love how you styled them. It is so important for moms to be able to do that after they return to work, I don't know for sure but here our legislation is a bit confusing about this subject and not all jobs are moms friendly (unfortunately). I had a friend that was fired because she was pregnant, of course she claimed her legal rights and got a large amount for compensation. It is sad if you think about it.

    Yiota

    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how horrible for your friend! I am glad that she got some compensation. it's shocking more places aren't supportive!

      Delete
  23. Interesting to read. I didn't know about this. Love both looks, the layering you do is lovely! I love the rich plum leather bag with both looks and the gold scarf with your jacket looks great too.
    Thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great read - lots of cool fashion ideas! I know it's not easy breastfeeding

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are super cute! My sister is currently pumping and has mentioned how hard it is to find clothes that make it easy. I'm going to show her this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that this post is helpful for your sister! :)

      Delete
  26. I remember how hard it was going back to work. Everything will fall into place soon. I love your wrap dresses! Both of these layered looks are so pretty!

    Jill
    Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never thought about how complicated it could be to deal with wardrobe issues and breastfeeding/pumping at work, but I love how the wrap dress solves those issues! It's perfect, and those dresses look so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those outfits are beautiful! I don't breastfeeding yet but the dresses are very nice! Thats great woman can find an outfit this days to help them with it !

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do love a good wrap dress! So flattering and practical; these outfits are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I never had to worry about pumping at work because I work from home, but it was still important to have clothing that could easily work at home too. Wrap dresses are definitely perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's so good that there are breastfeeding-friendly dresses out there. So helpful for new or lactating moms!! I didn't look at wrap dresses that way, which makes it a bonus because I love this style already :)

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks all for your kind comments, and encouragement with the return to work. It's definitely a big adjustment whenever you do it.

    I'm glad I could show some other benefits of wrap dresses to so many of you too, and I hope this post is helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...