Wednesday 27 January 2021

Dresses Worn Outside The Box: Magnificent 8

It's another Magnificent 8 post! Every quarter a group of us from multiple different age groups pick a theme and all style it in our own unique ways, showing you can be stylish at any age! This time we are sharing ways to wear clothes outside of the box. With it being a hot summer I wasn't going to layer up or wear anything drastically different, so I ended up falling back on my usual go-to way of mixing things up - taking a dress and wearing it a little differently!

Today I'm showing you how I wear a shirt dress as a kimono, and also how I wear a dress as a top. Such simple outfits but it really changes up the look of the dresses! I did wear these outfits a while ago, as I only take and share photos of outfits I actually wear on the blog and for some reason I had the wrong date in my head and this post was supposed to be last week, so I wore the outfits in advance of that!


What I wore:

collarless shirt dress worn unbuttoned over shorts and tee for different way to wear burgundy and black outfit | awayfromblue

Rebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey with silver bracelet stack | awayfromtheblue



JacketAtmos&Here Nigella collarless shirt dress (worn as kimono)
Necklace: Lovisa silver love knitted heart pendant necklace
TeeZalora Basics maroon stepped t-shirt
Shorts: Jeanswest Heather Bermuda short in black
ShoesNew Balance Coast women's running shoe in black 
Bracelets: the usual plus Hermes Kelly double tour bracelet in rubis
BagRebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey


Why I wore it:

I wore this on the day our 3 day lockdown was announced in Brisbane. Unfortunately when I heard the news I'd been wondering when the best time that day would be to go out and get another loaf of bread as we were about to run out. I wasn't the only one suddenly needing groceries that day...had to join the longest line and wait over 35 minutes just to get into the grocery store. Thankfully I still had my pick of bread, they were restocking lots over the store and everyone was polite - I saw most people like myself only needing a few things, no overflowing trolleys. 

Did like my outfit for the day though even if it was a bit of a confusing day that definitely didn't go as planned. Having to tell my kids that our weekend plans and much looked forward to party were cancelled was pretty tough but truly 3 days was nothing! It was a nice long weekend at home before the lockdown was lifted as expected when there were no more cases.

I've worn this dress as a kimono before, and have worn it with this tee before too! Sometimes I worry this shirt dress can be a little short with the curved hems, so wearing it as a kimono over shorts instead is a great alternative. And it does work so well with this burgundy tee! The black Bermuda shorts matched the black in the print of the dress, as well as my sneakers. I wore my New Balance sneakers as my intention was to go for a walk around my favourite trail after quickly stopping at the grocery store but I decided it was probably best to get home and have an early start to lockdown after that hectic and time consuming experience! 😂


Last wornprinted shirt dress, burgundy tee, heart necklace, Hermes braceletblack denim shorts, New Balance sneakers, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag.

Other ways to wearprinted shirt dress worn two ways, burgundy tee in a capsule wardrobe, black denim shorts and print mix, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag worn 30 ways.

Perfect for pregnancyburgundy tee and hidden second trimester bump, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag in third trimester.


Other Ways I've Worn These Dresses:


5 ways to think outside the box and wear a dress differently ways to wear and remix | awayfromblue





What I wore:


Chloe periwinkle small Paraty with distressed denim shorts | away from the blue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | floral print tee dress worn as a top with denim shorts converse chloe paraty bag

Dress
Atmos & Here Willow printed tee dress (worn as a top)
Shorts: thrifted Jeanswest distressed denim shorts
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star coast blue
BagChloe periwinkle small Paraty


Why I wore it:

This was another rare kid-free time! Again the boys were with their grandparents and I had a massive to do list to tackle so I dressed simply with my comfortable Converse and another pair of denim shorts. With the blue Chloe small Paraty bag this would be a bit monochromatic so I thought this tee dress would be a fun way to add a bit more colour, with the bright floral print!

Again this isn't a new combination for me, this tee dress felt a bit short when the kids were little and crawling around everywhere, so I'd wear it as a top then. It also looks great worn under a pencil skirt for the office, where it would definitely be too short to wear on its own! It did seem to bunch up a bit when I was taking a photo but I didn't mind as I wore this through the day - it was so comfortable and the bright print so cheerful!

Unlike the day above, I managed to get a lot done in the precious few kid free hours I had on this day!



How You Can Wear It:

You don't have to wear a dress simply as a dress! Shirt dresses can be unbuttoned and worn like a kimono or duster depending on the length of your dress. A cute printed dress can be tucked into a pair of shorts and worn like a top too - great for a busy day of running around where you don't want to be tugging at the hem of a dress all day, or just for a way to change up how you style a favourite dress.


The Magnificent 8

The Magnificent 8 is a collaboration of 8 stylish women, ranging in age from early 20’s to early 80’s. The mission of this collaboration is to showcase how ageless style is. There are no age restrictions on style. So wear what you want, when you want, add a smile, and strut your style with confidence. And be sure to check out all 7 of these other amazing ladies!





Every quarter, the group chooses a theme and each create an outfit that suits our own personal tastes and fashion choices and we post them on the last Wednesday of every third month. So be sure to go check out everyone’s posts with the links above for style inspiration at any age as they show you their take on ways to wear things outside the box!


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

38 comments:

  1. I have been seeing shirtdresses worn as kimonos lately and I am loving it! What a great idea!
    Hope your week is going well, I am so happy it's already Wednesday!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun way to wear them, I think I've worn this dress more as a duster than a dress, haha!

      Delete
  2. You are so pretty and this dress is very amazing. All these outfits are so beautiful.
    https://chicchedimamma.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you wore these dresses, I love how versatile garments can be when you think outside of the box! <3


    http://www.couture-case.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a shirt dress worn open like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mica, I love the way you have styled your dresses! I am a big fan of wearing shirt dresses as kimonos or jackets. Especially because I struggle with the buttons over my chest! They pull and gap and so wearing the dress open as a jacket just works better for my frame. I also love wearing dresses as tunics over shorts or trousers. I really loved this theme so much as I am forever finding new ways to style old things. You did a fabulous job!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a fun theme Shelbee, thanks for picking it! :)

      Delete
  6. Love it cute! <3

    www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute look! Wonderful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mika,

    I like both of outfits and the story that you told us below them and connected with them. This kimono is so lovely.

    You wrote me that you have been with your kids in forest rain- so so cool- it's one of my dreams to be in this kind of forest at least once in life xx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky we have the rainforest so close!

      Delete
  9. Love how you styled both these pieces in new ways! Wearing dresses as tops is always a good way to get more wear out of dresses! I don't have any long shirt dresses to wear as kimonos but I love that idea too!
    https://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a great idea I love this! The shirt dress looks great as kimono and the second dress is so versatile you got so many looks out of it. And we are in a semi lock down here. But WOW a 35 min wait to get in to the super market? I will be so glad when this is over.

    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was crazy as we only needed bread! But everyone wanted to stock up for lockdown - quite a few smaller stores were sold out by the afternoon so I'm glad we grabbed it when we did, just bad timing on my part to need bread the same day everyone panic bought, haha!

      Delete
  11. This is exactly how we need to get creative with what we have Mica!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you've done with both dresses!!!
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent ways to think outside of the fashion box!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wearing dresses outside of the box can really spice up your wardrobe! Wearing the shirt dress as a kimono was a great idea and I'm loving the colour mix in this outfit. The maroon tee is such a nice colour.
    It would never have occurred to me to wear a dress as a top, but then again I do not own any dresses short enough for that purpose! I did, however, once turn a tunic into a blouse! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tee dress is a bit on the short side so perfect for turning into a top when I tuck it in! :)

      Delete
  14. These are great looks, I love the second :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mica,
    Hi! I do like to idea of getting extra mileage out of a dress as a kimono or long jacket or even a coat. I love your effortless chic and you have a fabulous bag collection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a fun way to get more use out of a dress.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  17. That green floral dress works so well as a top or dress! It's such a pretty print too! What a fun collaboration idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing. Love the way you can take one dress and really wear it so many different ways.
    Have a great day!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you got creative with the dresses! You're right, the second floral tee dress is super short, it's a bit weird to call it a dress, haha. I love that you wore sneakers in the first outfit and made the dress your kimono. You look amazing in both looks and that was an interesting story about you nabbing your loaf of bread during the start of the lockdown :D Style for every age collab sounds fantastic! I'll be sure to check it out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too short when worn untucked but is one of the shorter dresses I have! Hope you enjoy checking out the posts from the other ladies! :)

      Delete
  20. Mica, I think I actually prefer both garments worn in their alternate ways! That top dress would be too short for me as a dress, but I love it worn open, like a kimono. I definitely feel like the patterned dress needs to be a top permanently. It's such a great pattern.

    Well done on the challenge - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I fell in love with the print when I saw it and it was in tee and dress form - I decided to get the dress as I knew I could always wear it as a top! :)

      Delete
  21. That heart necklace is so cute with that kimono! I am sorry it took so long to get the bread. I am so over Covid and now we have these new variants. Bleh!! I love the pastel colors in that second top with the pale blue chucks.

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary it's spreading so fast in some places we have new variants, but I'm glad we are still safe here too.

      Delete
  22. Such gorgeous photos, Mica! I love how versatile these pieces are and how you've worn them so many different ways. That's awesome!

    Make Life Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how you wore your shirt dress. I my shirt dresses open sometimes as well and it's a nice way to get more wear out of them :)

    I hope you're having a good week :)

    Ekaterina | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love how you wore the shirt dress as a kimono. Have a fun weekend!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love you are wearing the shirt dress as a kimono!
    Your fashion team is great, and they are motivating!!
    Have a lovely weekend, Mica :)

    akiko

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such great ways to re-style these pieces! I love the idea of wearing a dress as a kimono. I don't think I have any dresses that button all the way down though, so I guess I won't be trying that soon. Glad you were able to snag the bread you wanted!

    Miles of smiles,
    Grace

    gracefulrags.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks all for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks all for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...