Friday 12 June 2020

Printed Dresses Layered With Cardigans, Leggings and Converse For Winter

With the colder weather in Brisbane now it's winter I noticed I'd been reaching for my jeans a lot. In an effort to change things up a little I winterised some printed dresses for the cooler temps with colourful cardigans and black leggings. I also tried a different shoe other than my ugly sneakers. These Converse don't have as much support for my injured knee as my running shoes but I needed something different to wear!

What I wore:

mustard cardigan with green floral tee dress, leggings Converse mini mac bag | away from blue

mustard and green outfit with Rebecca Minkoff 2012 sky grey mini MAC bag | away from the blue

awayfromtheblue Instagram mustard cardigan green floral tee dress with leggings converse winter
Jacket: thrifted SES Fashions mustard yellow cardigan
Necklace: Lovisa gold filigree heart pendant
DressAtmos & Here Willow printed tee dress with black leggings underneath
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in black
BagRebecca Minkoff 2012 sky grey mini MAC bag

Why I wore it:

This mustard cardigan was a a bargain opshop find and has been a favourite every year since! I thought the colour combo might be nice with the green in this tee dress. I did really like the colours together, and that the cardigan was just the right length with the dress.

Wasn't too happy with the leggings though! It was a windy and very cold day so they were a bit chilly as they are just plain black leggings, not fleece lined or anything. I also think this outfit would have looked better with ankle boots than Converse to balance out the proportions a bit. While my ankle boots are flats they do have a tiny heel so I wasn't up to trying them with my knee injury. Especially as I had a couple errands to run after the school drop off, I needed comfortable shoes.


Last worn: mustard cardigan, gold filigree heart necklace, floral print tee dress, leggings, Converse, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag.

Other ways to wearmustard cardigan and maxi skirt, floral print tee dress worn as a top, Converse and jeans, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag and maxi skirt.

Perfect for pregnancyfloral print tee dress in second trimester, Converse in third trimester.


Favourite Rebecca Minkoff Bag:








What I wore:

red waterfall cardigan with aztec print tee dress leggings and converse school run style | awayfromblue

red cardigan with Rebecca Minkoff 2012 sky grey mini MAC bag | awayfromtheblue

Jacket: Jeanswest waterfall drape cardigan in scarlett marle
Necklace: Jeanswest Taryn turquoise tassel bead necklace
Dress: Rivers Aztec print dress
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in black
BagRebecca Minkoff 2012 sky grey mini MAC bag

Why I wore it:

I liked the proportions of this outfit better, maybe because the waterfall drape of this cardigan was longer than the dress and it looked more balanced. This cardigan is also slightly thicker than the mustard one and I felt very cosy in this! It helped that it was a warmer day too, at least in the afternoon. It was still a bit chilly for the school drop off in the morning.

This dress was definitely overdue a wear and it was good to winterise it. It had popped up in my Facebook memories and I knew it would work well with leggings. I wasn't sure how the orange in the print would work with the red cardigan and blue mini MAC bag but I think it all came together nicely. Colourful and cosy for the school run and working from home.


Last worn: red waterfall cardigan, turquoise tassel necklace, Aztec print dress, leggings (above), Converse (above), Rebecca Minkoff sky grey mini MAC bag (above).

Other ways to wearred waterfall cardigan and pencil skirt, Aztec print dress belted, Converse and flared jeans, Rebecca Minkoff sky grey mini MAC bag in monochrome outfit.

Perfect for pregnancyAztec print dress in first trimester, Converse in second trimester.


Colourful Cardigans Under $50:



How You Can Wear It:

Colourful cardigans are a great choice when the weather cools and a plain block colour one can work really well over a simple printed dress to make it warm enough to wear in winter. Especially when paired with leggings. Maybe just pick thicker ones for a really cold day!


Linking up with Fabulous Friday.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

59 comments:

  1. Fab layering Mica, loving your printed dress. Hope you have a wonderful weekend darling. Our plan is to just chill by the pool.


    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislvoely.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color of the second cardigan, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both the cardis are great, Mica:) You look wonderful in both colours. And yay for the Converse:) You can never go wrong with them, but am sorry to hear the knees are still giving you trouble:(
    Have a lovely weekend:) Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's been hard not seeing my regular physio, I'm having to be very careful not to do anything to overwork my knee :(

      Delete
  4. Love both of these printed dresses! The first one is my fave because of the gorgeous colors.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both cardigans! It really helps with layering and switching up the outfit!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all these prints and cardigans - the top dress is particularly gorgeous, I just love those colours.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice outfits i like to wear leggings too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love layering black leggings under dresses. It's a nice way to feel all glammed up without having to feel cold or under dressed. Both looks are gorgeous. I especially love that first dress. The colour is beautiful!
    the creation of beauty is art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the waterfall cardigan with the Aztec print dress. The colours in the dress really complement your converse too. It's a shame that your knee affects what sort of shoes you can wear, will it heal with time?

    xo Sarah | Oomph London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I keep doing the exercises it certainly will heal - the physio was confident I could get it back to even better than before I injured it years ago, but the virus and restrictions have made physio tricky :(

      Delete
  10. Your cardigans are so fun! Love how you styled them with your outfit!

    Lizzie
    www.lizzieinlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the first dress :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look like a little teenager with those shoes - Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, I've probably had them since I was a teen too!

      Delete
  13. The yellow cardigan with the dress looks so good together. I see what you mean on the proportions of the 2nd outfit. I hope you stay warm! I agree ankle boots would be cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can heal my knee and get to wear my ankle boots more this winter! I have tried a few times ;)

      Delete
  14. Ooh, I love both of these outfits, Mica! That yellow looks amazing with the turquoise blue, and the red is so vivid. I admire your commitment to FASHION with your Converse (which look great with the outfit), but don't sacrifice your knees!

    You will be very proud of me - I hit 40 wears on a pair of shoes today. I'll have the post up tonight - I have linked up to you for your "30 Wears" inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I think they are a good change and might help me build up a little more strength in my knees, but if they hurt I will definitely switch back to the ugly shoes! I have been loving your flashback series, it's so good to see as you get so much wear from your wardrobe!

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, I just LOVE that waterfall cardigan, I wish it were in my closet! The red is so fantastic on you. I think it's definitely your color!! Have a great weekend!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally love your printed dress! Perhaps it's time for me to wear them again now

    ReplyDelete
  17. That first look is really nice, the yellow and floral print looks good. Tho I would have preferred the look without the leggings but it was chilly and living in a cold region it is needed. I also feel this way sometimes when I have to carry jacket or wear something under my outfit.

    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2020/06/beautiful-birthday-to-queen-melody.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dress works so well in summer without leggings too! :)

      Delete
  18. Looking great as always! You always have the best colour cardigans.
    Wishing you the best!
    xxx

    https://ooomaye.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The print motif of these two clothes is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love both of these looks! I have a few pairs of leggings but just forget to wear them with dresses :/ And I think the Converse look really cute with both dresses. I have my Adidas Superstars that I wear with skirts a lot but not really with dresses. Gotta try them with some dresses. That mustard cardi is gorgeous and it's perfect with the dress. And I think the dress pulls out the teals in your gray bag, too. I think maybe the second look is my favorite and I think your little helper approves, too <3 And I don't think the orange in the dress looks too orangey....more like a rust. At any rate, it's not a strong enough color to compete with the red cardigan. It's really nice to be able to dress up a little again, isn't it? I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Ruth
    VogueFauxReal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's so nice to get out the house and dress up, even if it's just for the school run! :)

      Delete
  21. Both of these looks are such a resourceful way to have a multi-seasonal wardrobe. I do this too. And yes for the cooler weather ankle boots or even to the knee boots would be better then converse. You look great in both!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to find flat ankle boots for my knee!

      Delete
  22. This goes to show that it pays to winterize a summer dress, thereby prolonging its lease of life, and avoiding the jeans rut at the same time. While the colours of your first outfit make my heart sing, I agree with you that the proportions in the second outfit are better. Orange and red do work well together in my book and I think the black leggings work better with this outfit too. So sorry to hear your knee injury is still playing up. It must be a nightmare to have your choice of shoes restricted because of it. Hope you're having a great weekend, Mica! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's nice to wear my summer dresses in winter, and I'm hoping I can improve my knee this winter and wear my ankle boots more!

      Delete
  23. Both dresses look beautiful but I especially like the colours of the first one. Pairing them with leggings and converse sneakers is a great idea. I like to wear dresses with leggings and converse like sneakers too. I don't have real converse but similar times of sneakers- they can be so comfortable.

    Here the weather is the opposite. It is starting to get really warm, summer is in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You're making me want to invest in more printed dresses - so cute!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look amazing! Pretty!

    https://redamancyy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice outfits 😊 thanks for your sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  27. I also like both leggings, but especially the second one because of the pattern. Combined with that tomato-red cardigan - wow. I think the idea of leggings is great, and it looks really nice. I also combine leggings when the temeratures are getting low. Here sommer starts slowly, but the last 2 days we could finally wear dresses, skirts... without tights and leggings.
    Hope you're having a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Mica, I like your cardigans, especially the red one :)

    Your dog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooh! I love the layered look. This is my favorite style when the weather is a bit cooler. The colors go well with each other too. Glad to see mustard yellow still being a fashion trend!! Black leggings go great with pretty much every outfit. I love the red cardigan especially!! Hope you had a great weekend, sis!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love that mustard is still around, such a fun shade of yellow to wear! :)

      Delete
  30. The first dress is absolutely gorgeous. I love the patterns, but both outfits are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look fantastic. I like converse so much and i need buy new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I know what you mean about the Converse sneakers not have support. That's why I wear my orthodics with them instead. Otherwise my feet and legs hurt.
    Cute outfits Mica,
    OXOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm determined to keep up with the physio exercises and heal my knee so I don't need orthodics and can get back to my normal shoes, but time will tell!

      Delete
  33. Your outfits are perfect for cooler weather Mica. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the colourful cardigans added to your outfits, the pops of colour makes them look really summery even if you are starting to feel the chill a little bit. I love the dress from look 1 too! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. Both so cute! When I have leg injuries I get sick of supportive tennis shoes too! The converse was a nice way to switch it up. Your red cardigan gives just the right casual feel and looks great with the converse!

    ReplyDelete
  36. love your video! i have just subscribed to your channel

    ReplyDelete
  37. loving the prints of both outfits! Also loving the Rebecca Minkoff bags! I've never actually owned one yet!

    Life is a Shoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own far too many of her bags, haha!

      Delete
  38. I love this... a dress with leggings especially when it's a bit cold outside but you still want to wear a dress.
    Hope you're having a great day!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love both these looks Mica! The print dresses are gorgeous
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. I also like the second look better--maybe it's the colors? I do love that dress + cardigan combo in your first look though, the mustard + turquoise are so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to try orange and red more often! :)

      Delete
  41. Love your cardigans. I'm a sucker for a mustard cardigan in the cooler months.


    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love how you winterized your dresses. Such a fun thing to do when you really need the layers. The last time I layered up was when it got so cold from a pour that kept on going for days. And it was night time then. In the day here, unless I'm headed into a mall or air-conditioned buildings, I don't get to layer up much at all. Today, I'm finally wearing a long sleeve sweater after ages! Already can't wait for the rainy days to ease up. Don't know how I can survive a proper winter LOL:D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  43. Four mini Macs?! Wow you're a serial bag owner ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yep when I love a bag I can't stop buying it in multiple colours!

      Delete
  44. Thanks all for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...