Wednesday 28 August 2019

Layering Up Sundresses With Knotted Knits In Winter

These adorable Kmart strappy tiered sundresses from the past two summers are so perfect for the summer heat and humidity in Brisbane. I've layered them up a little for autumn and spring before, but decided to take advantage of some warmer winter days to wear them with more layers! Using my go-to petite style hack of knotting a jumper over a dress to create these outfits.

What I wore:

grey marle knit knotted over kmart strappy tiered aztec print sundress in winter tall boots red bag | awayfromblue

Rebecca Minkoff red micro Avery cross body bag | awayfromtheblue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | red rebecca minkoff micro avery bag grey marle knit knotted over tiered sundress
Knit: thrifted Spirit grey marle jumper
Necklace: Kmart gold and navy beaded necklace
Dress: Kmart Aztec print tiered little black dress
ShoesAsos Cleo leather boots in tan
BagRebecca Minkoff red micro Avery cross body bag

Why I wore it:

This cute grey knit, a $1 opshop buy at the start of the year, is a longer length with an uneven hem. It means there is a lot of it to tie up when I want to knot it over a dress, but I think it makes the knot more of a feature. Just like last time I knotted this knit, I really liked this outfit! I think the grey knit paired so nicely with the black tiered sundress, and the tan boots were a cosy and comfortable option.

The outfit felt a little too neutral so I added the fun red Rebecca Minkoff micro Avery tote bag for a touch of colour. I think it was the perfect finishing touch!

It was great to be wearing something I felt happy and comfortable in because I stopped to take these photos on the way to church, at a spot I'd been driving by for a few weeks and thinking how good it would be to take photos there. I hopped out the car, setup the tripod and then a car drove by...and another, and another. Turns out the "little side road" I'd seen actually had a very busy gym in the middle of it and it must have been near the time classes started or finished. I'm awkward enough in public when someone else is taking my photo, it felt even weirder just being there with my tripod! I couldn't pack everything back in the car quick enough, haha!


Last worn: grey knit, beaded necklace, Aztec print sundress, slouchy tan boots, Rebecca Minkoff micro Avery bag.

Other ways to weargrey knit and olive jeans, Aztec print sundress in summer, slouchy tan boots and skinny jeans, Rebecca Minkoff micro Avery bag and pencil skirt.



My Favourite Rebecca Minkoff Bag:






What I wore:

cobalt knit knotted over watercolour print tiered sundress with leggings glitter sneakers rebecca minkoff small darren bag | away from blue

Rebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger bag in peony | away from the blue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | layering knotted knit over printed tiered kmart sundress
Necklace: blush pink and gold beaded tassel necklace
Knit: thrifted Valleygirl blue knit jumper
Dress: Kmart strappy tiered sundress in watercolour blue and blush print
Shoes: Kmart sparkly silver glitter sneakers
BagRebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger bag in peony

Why I wore it:

Although this outfit follows the same formula as the one above, just a more colourful version, I didn't like this one as much. I think possibly because this knit wasn't knotted as tightly and looks a bit more relaxed and slouchy. Being petite, it helps to tie it in a fixed line and have a more defined waist. It looks okay, just not as good as I imagined in my head when I thought up the outfit!

As it was a warmer day, I skipped the fleece-lined tights I'd worn above and just wore leggings and my fun sparkly Kmart glitter sneakers. I even considered going without the leggings and having bare legs, but in the shade at the playground I was glad I'd picked the leggings!

Added a little more colour to this already colourful dress by matching the blush floral print to the pink tassel necklace and Rebecca Minkoff Darren messenger bag. The bag is one I've worn with this dress in the past, I just love the combination.


Last worn: cobalt knit, pink tassel necklace, printed tiered sundress, glitter sneakers, Rebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger.

Other ways to wearcobalt knit and purple jeans, printed tiered sundress in summer, glitter sneakers and shorts, Rebecca Minkoff small Darren messenger in the office.




Tiered Sundresses Under $50:




How You Can Wear It:

A pretty tiered sundress isn't just for summer! You can add more warmth to a spaghetti strap dress with a cosy knit on top, tied at the waist to give your outfit a little more definition. It's a great option for a warmer winter day when you don't need a lot of extra layers.


Linking up with Fashion Files, Thursday Moda, Chic and Stylish, Friday Faves, Red Carpet Style, Fabulous Friday, Weekend Wear.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

63 comments:

  1. This such a cute idea for using a summer dress in cool weather! I'm totally stealing this idea from you, haha. I really in love with the colors of your first outfit - that red bag is pulling at my heartstrings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the outfit 1. I agree with the top knot, but over all both outfit are gorg! just love the vibrant touch of red (bag) in the 1st outfit. :)

    Lovelots | https://bit.ly/2U9TCb8

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do such a great job knotting those knits! I haven't done that successfully yet. Also, LOVE that RM bag in peony - so beautiful!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it took a bit of practice - especially that top knit! :)

      Delete
  4. I love the way you've knotted those knits over your pretty dresses, Mica! It's such a great idea! I really love the second outfit and how the pink in your dress matches your necklace and bag! Hope you're having a great week so far, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha :) You know I love a bit of matchy-matchy!

      Delete
  5. You have always such a beautiful and colorful way to face the world, and we love it :)
    btw you look even more elegant girl!

    xx

    www.freeoversea.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever to use a sundress as a skirt in cooler months! Love the pop of red with your bag in the first pic. And I love the pink bag too...but I guess I like pretty much all the bags RM makes! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such great ways to style sundresses when it's cooler out! Thank you for sharing!

    https://colorandgrace.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving both of these! Especially the first one, such a great combo! I always forget about layering sundresses with sweaters when it gets cooler! I'll have to remember this year
    https://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you're wearing here

    new post
    https://www.alyssabustilloofficial.com/2019/08/universal-studios-singapore-tour.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love layering knits over summer outfits, great looks! x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great idea and these dresses look so gorgeous!

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever idea to winterize a sundress, Mica! I love both of your outfits, but for some reason the first one appeals to me the most. Must be the splash of red provided by your handbag, perhaps? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Putting a shirt over a dress is something I'm wanting to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always find it so interesting reading your blog as we're just transitioning into different seasons! I love a knotted top, I think they're great all year round!
    Amy xx
    callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cool idea, you're always so glam Mica!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for layering dresses. These sundresses are so cute. I like how you knotted a sweater over them. That red bag is the perfect pop of colour for that first neutral outfit. I also like the blue and the purple colour combo of the second outfit. You look very fresh and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your jumper-knotting skills are excellent, Mica! I also prefer the top outfit - I think the finer knit works better knotted, and I also think that the higher contrast between the top and dress skirt work better. That red bag is perfect! I laughed at your tripod/car issue - sorry! Ah, the things we do for blogging! ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both are super cute, Mica. I love the idea of doing the knot. I don't think the second outfit was sloppy at all! And I love the pop of red on the first outfit:) LOL on taking the pic. I am totally the same which is why I try to do all my photos in our backyard:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backyard is a lot less stressful, ha!

      Delete
  19. These are both so cute! It's a nice way to wear sundresses in cold weather and a good way to get the look of a crop top without exposing any skin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the first outfit. I so can't wait to layer sweaters over dresses. Thank you so much for all your kinds words on my blog.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving this layering style. The red bag is so gorgeous.
    www.sophieatieno.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea to knot a sweater like that! And to wear a sweater over a dress! I should be thinking about that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your outfits look nice and cozy...love the bag
    www.comfycozyup.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Layering is such a great idea - thanks for stopping by the #linkup Mica. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really love this idea! Think it looks great!

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute, the knot adds such a interesting detail to the outfits, so cool :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how you effortlessly layered both outfits. What a great idea for cooler time of a year, thanks!
    Lots of love ♥ January Girl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, that's a great idea to keep sun dresses 'till winter and the knots look cute and nice :)
    Love you bags, Mica.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the first outfit. It's so cute on you x

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice looks!!
    I liked your bags ♥

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous bags, you look wonderful as always and your pretty bags suit your pretty persona.

    Laura xo
    www.shehearts.net

    ReplyDelete
  32. Super cute look honey! I love the red bag, gives an amazing look to the outfit


    Cats in the City

    ReplyDelete
  33. The knotted hem is such a brilliant idea! I always like your style. Love your sling bags. Have a great weekend, beautiful!

    Marie
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love knotted knits; it's such a fun way of adding a little something extra to an otherwise plain knitted top! At the moment, I'm lusting after huge chunky and oversized knits - they look sooooo cosy!! :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
  35. this is such a lovely idea to still wear summer Dresses, even when it's Cold(er) outside. Btw. I love your orange bag.

    take a look at my BLOG and my INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is so beautiful! Definitely a great option to keep using the same clothes from one season to the next and therefore consume less. I love it!

    Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
  37. My favorite outfit color was the first one but I love them both

    check this post

    http://www.alyinwanderland.com/2019/08/cheap-homecoming-dress-from-27dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. My favorite is look #1.
    Kisses!

    galerafashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. That's is so cool and a good Idea for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Todo es precioso ! Gracias por tu visita , espero tu opinión en mi última selección de vestidos , espero que te gusten ! 👗👗👗 Feliz día ! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  41. That looks like a really cool and stylish way to wear a jumper.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great layering - perfect transition look into fall :)

    xxx
    Tina

    https://styleappetite.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love wearing sweater over dresses, it's so cute! :)

    http://purflefox.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ah those pesky gym goers! It's awkward enough having the post in front of a tripod without gawkers as well... those Kmart shoes are soooo cute! I love how sparkly they are!

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I do better without an audience!

      Delete
  45. I absolutely love the knotted tee look on you!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is something I definitely plan on doing once it gets colder here! The sweaters look great knotted up over the dresses. I really love the first outfit with the boots and red bag!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
  47. Love what you’ve done with this very cute dress!! Great look on you - thank you for sharing!!
    Donna 🧚🏻‍♀️❤️🙏
    https donnadoesdresses.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Omg I love this idea!! I seriously need to try knotting my tops, it always looks so cute on everyone! And I am super awkward about taking pictures when other people are around, so I would have had exactly the same reaction! Good for you for even trying a new location with just your tripod! (If I'm out in public, that's usually when I enlist my dad to play photographer, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try ask my kids but they don't always want to take photos and my phone camera isn't the best, haha!

      Delete
  49. Lovely bags dear, especially the red one!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is very clever Mica. The knotted detail not only transforms but adds interest to the look. Very well played.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks all for your comments - glad I could give you some ideas and inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...