Friday 25 May 2018

Layering a Tee Over A Maxi Dress: Autumn Style (And Brisbane Kite Festival Family Day Out Vlog)

Slightly cooler Autumn weather, after what seemed like a never-ending summer heat, brought me the opportunity to layer a little! I decided to try wearing some of my fave slouchy tees over my jersey maxi dresses. I've only worn a tee over a maxi dress once before, but I loved this combination and you can expect to see it pop up more frequently!

What I wore:

grey tie dye maxi dress with burgundy knotted tee layered over SAHM autumn style | awayfromblue

bracelet stack, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram layering a burgundy v neck tee over a grey jersey tie dye maxi dress
Necklace: silver heart long pendant necklace
TeeeAtmos&Here rolled sleeve oversized tee in wine (similar in black)
DressJeanswest 'Elodie' tie dye grey jersey maxi dress (worn as skirt)
Shoes:  black slim Havaianas thongs
Bracelets: the usual plus Roie Designs black leather Swarovski beaded wrap bracelet
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather

Why I wore it:

We had a pretty quiet day planned when I wore this. Taking advantage of hubby having the day off, we took the boys to the doctors for their flu vaccination. It was helpful having another set of hands as injections are never pleasant! After the stressful morning, we took the boys out for lunch as a treat, then it was back home for massive naps from them both.

It's not the first time I've worn the aqua mini MAC bag with burgundy (seen before here with burgundy pants), I really like the combination. The mini MAC bag is worn frequently with this tie dye dress too. Loving all of these pieces separately and combined, I of course loved this outfit. So much that I repeated the formula again a few days later with different pieces as you can see below.


Last worn: burgundy tee, tie dye maxi dress, Havaianas, Rebecca Minkoff aquamarine mini MAC bag.

Other ways to wearburgundy tee and skinny jeans, tie dye maxi dress worn knotted, Rebecca Minkoff aquamarine mini MAC bag and purple jeans.

Perfect for pregnancyburgundy tee for second trimester travel, tie dye maxi dress in third trimester, Rebecca Minkoff aquamarine mini MAC bag at 39 weeks.


Family Day Out Vlog: Brisbane Kite Festival







What I wore:

grey tee knotted over a blue printed jersey maxi dress RM MAM Bag | away from the blue

Rebecca Minkoff MAB mini in soft grey | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram grey tee knotted over a blue printed maxi dress with rebecca minkoff MAM bag
Necklace: Uniquely Made with Love Sea Change necklace
TeeAtmos&Here grey v-neck tee with rolled sleeves (also in black)
DressJeanswest 'Chantelle' crochet detail blue printed maxi dress (worn as skirt)
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
BagRebecca Minkoff MAB mini in soft grey

Why I wore it:

We took the boys out to the Brisbane Kite Festival for something a little different! It was a lot of fun, as you can see from the video above. There were so many kites for the boys to watch, and we ended up buying and flying our own kite for a little bit too. It was the first time they'd flown a kite, and I don't even know how many years it's been since I flew one.

It was a really windy but sunny day, so I wore the knotted tee over a maxi dress outfit again. It was the perfect layer to act as a physical sunblock on my shoulders too, as I forgot a hat. I think my big sun hat would have flown off a few times if I'd worn it though.

As mentioned in the video, I felt it was time to get my MAM bag out again. Someone had asked a question about it on YouTube so I'd filmed a video for it and didn't want to put it back in its dust bag without giving it a wear!


Last worn: grey v-neck tee, blue printed maxi dress, Rebecca Minkoff MAM.

Other ways to weargrey v-neck tee and printed jeans, blue printed maxi dress and matching bag, Rebecca Minkoff MAM worn 30 ways.

Perfect for pregnancygrey v-neck tee in second trimester, blue printed maxi dress at 39 weeks pregnant, Rebecca Minkoff MAM in third trimester.



Slouchy V-Neck Tees Under $50:




How You Can Wear It:


On a slightly cooler day a tee over a maxi dress is a great layering option, as it doesn't make you too warm. If your tee is long and slouchy, knotting it at the side is a great option to make it sit just right. Perfect for late spring or early autumn, it one way you can get more wear from your favourite summer maxi dresses.


Linking up with Flashback Fashion, Lizzie In Lace, Shoe & Tell, Mix It Monday, On Mondays We Link Up, Modest Monday.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

75 comments:

  1. I love the idea of tying knot on your top
    Looks so chic

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty dear!! Love both looks

    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: LOOKBOOK PRIMAVERA / 3 OUTFITS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this outfit formula, it looks perfect in both versions. The purple shades in the first version are so wonderful, but I like the second version with blue and grey just as much. Wonderful styling!

    Good to have gotten the injections done, I know that can be stressful as kids never like needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah luckily it didn't go too badly with the injections!

      Delete
  4. Happy Friday Mica! I absolutely adore both looks. Layering with a tee was a great idea and the knot added a special touch to the look! I purchased another maxi so I now have two..yaay:)..and I really love both:) Thanks always for the inspiration and I pray you and your family have a blessed weekend.

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so nice to see you in your maxi dress on your blog recently, you look great in it!

      Delete
  5. Great styling and outfits! I really like the green bag in the first pictures!
    Have a lovely weekend :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cozy look! I should try doing this as well. Thanks for the tip dear.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  7. My kids do like their vaccinations. It is a little strange, but I think they are so fascinated by the toys they can pick one from afterwards that they brave the needles without fear.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this styling idea for summer! I adore the tie dye maxi dress!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea...I think about layering a top over a regular dress, but I haven't done it over a maxi dress!! Brilliant!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try it over a regular dress next! :)

      Delete
  10. Layering a tee over a maxi dress is such an easy easy to change up the look of any dress and the added warmth and coverage can be welcome too especially as the temperature starts to drop. Happy weekend Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got to love it when the hubby is off work. I haven't try a tee shirt over a maxi dress before. So going to have a to give it a try. Also the kite fest sound like a lot of fun. Have a great weekend.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  12. How adorable are these outfits. Looking lovely as ever x

    Tiffany Tales | Lifestyle & Beauty 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little Tyke screams like we're torturing him whenever he goes for vaccination or at least he did in the past. It's always an embarrassing experience. Ugh!

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that would be so tough! I think the doctors are used to it though!

      Delete
  14. maxi dresses really are perfect for transitional weather, and the kite festival sounds like a really fun event for the boys!
    https://www.iamchiconthecheap.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did have so much fun! It was great to be able to capture it on video :)

      Delete
  15. So cute! Love this look, sweetie!
    Have a wonderful weekend, love!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a cute outfit. I love timeless pieces you can wear around the year.I love the skirt with this tee. It is great combination .
    https://www.chez-rama.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute and casual look. I love the layering x

    Sheena
    http://afashionstudentsdiary.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the turquoise popping off the burgundy - well done on that stellar combination. I like the idea of a top over a maxi dress, although tees are too casual for my taste. The kite fest sounds like a blast! We have a really windy point on the water here that a lot of kite-flyers use - it's so fun to watch them!

    Have a wonderful weekend, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It was nice to think of a different way to wear my tees, and I do like the colours together!

      Delete
  19. I love both looks! So cute
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mica
    I've never tried to wear a tee over a maxi dress, it's an idea to think !!! I liked the second look most. Oh I don't like to see small children take the vaccines, poor little ones their little arms are so delicate, it's still good that you took them off!

    Have a great weekend !!
    xoxo


    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you a new outfit idea! :)

      Delete
  21. That's a great idea! You get two different looks that way! Your cooling off and we're heating up here. It's gonna be in the 90s this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's nice to think of a different way to wear my dresses! :) Enjoy your warmer weather!

      Delete
  22. I love layering a tee over a maxi dress too! It's such a cool way to wear your same old dresses :) Super cute! Happy weekend!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that Rebecca Minkoff bag!

    Chloe x
    www.softoctobernight.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca Minkoff makes some great bags!

      Delete
  24. Girl I love the first purple outfit.. well done!

    x Lisa | lisaautumn.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a fun trick to add a tee over your dress. I like it! This way you can wear the dress two days in a row :)
    Have a happy weekend!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the blue and grey! They work so well together and the tee over the maxi makes the outfit look so casual and perfect for everyday wear! I love it!

    KHVDIJA | http://www.khvdija.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like blue and grey together too!

      Delete
  27. Such a cool idea to put tee over a maxi. I like it that you can still wear it on Autumn which is actually better than summer where you get really hot in maxi. I hope your boys are doing better this weekend. I took my toddler yesterday for his 4 year old immunisation and had a bad night prior to sleep. Wishing you a relaxing weekend.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a nice way to be a little warmer in autumn! Luckily the boys weren't too cranky after their immunisations!

      Delete
  28. Adorei o look e as fotos:)

    Beijokas da Camila e Carol

    já estamos de volta e já tem novidades

    Vamos Papear 

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Mica, such a great outfit formula! I think I have never worn a maxi dress with a shirt over it but the idea is cool and I see you feel well in those combinations. How good your husband had his day off when you had this challenging morning - no wonder your boys felt asleep at home! Happy weekend!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena! I'm glad you liked the outfit formula! :)

      Delete
  30. The tee over the maxi dress is such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know why I never thought of layering a t-shirt over a maxi dress before - it feels like such an obvious thing to do and how handy to get a few more combinations out of the pieces too!

    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to come up with new ways to wear things! Glad to introduce you to it.

      Delete
  32. what a fun event to attend! cute outfits!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great idea to extend the maxi dress into autumn and beyond! The aqua mini MAC is actually pretty versatile - it looks fab with those colours!

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really goes with so much, it's such a great bag!

      Delete
  34. I love that blue skirt. Hope the injections went well, must be awful taking them!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so tough for them, poor babies! But they were over it quickly.

      Delete
  35. I never would have thought that first tee was layered over a dress! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great way to make a dress look like a skirt!

      Delete
  36. I like the purple and gray! Maybe that's because your adorable dog photobombed that one though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your use of colour in your style. It is perfect for summer :) http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2018/05/i-see-through-you-transparent-bag-trend.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, you know this is something I've never actually tried before - what a lovely idea! It's also ideal for if it's a little too cool to wear a maxi dress on its alone, or alternatively, if you've burnt your shoulders the day before haha ;) Have a fabulous week ahead!

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes it would be good for sunburn! I'm glad I could introduce you to the idea!

      Delete
  39. I would never have thought to pop a t-shirt over a maxi dress but it really looks great on you! Thanks for the inspiration! x

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  40. Love your idea of a t-shirt over a dress, you've got totally new outfit out of nothing. Love the look
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a great way to make a new outfit from old favourites!

      Delete
  41. A tee with a maxi dress is good! And I like your maxi dress tho!


    http://www.thequinoxfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. You've picked the perfect cut of tee to have over a maxi dress. Great looks xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Layering over a maxi dress is such a nice way to get more use out of the dress and depending on activity really helps tone it down. I love that the dress peaks through on the top as if you are wearing a bralette or sports bra. I get weary about flashing people with lower necklines and I like how the dress prevents this from happening. Of course, I have to give a shout out to your bags! Love love love them both!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! It's definitely a fun way to layer!

      Delete
  44. I have actually never done a tee over a maxi dress before, so that's a new combo to me! It looks great though, really easy going!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could introduce the combo to you!

      Delete
  45. The layered look is so cute! Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I really love the tee over the maxi. A great way to get more use out of your closet. So nice when Dad's can come along and help out with shots!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm so glad he was there to help!

      Delete
  47. Thank you all for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...