Monday 26 March 2018

2 Ways To Wear A Dress As A Top: Work And Weekend With Colourful Balenciaga Bags

I love the dresses I have in my wardrobe, but sometimes I like to try different things with them. This dress below is the perfect casual dress, I've worn it to Bondi beach and I love it as a beach cover-up. It's so easy to make the dress work in other ways too though. Below I'm wearing it as a top in two different ways, one for the office and the other for a day of errands.

What I wore:

making a casual dress office appropriate skirt suit pink balenciaga magenta day bag | away from blue

Balenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram office suit separates pencil skirt and dress worn as a top pink bag
Jacketthrifted Zara black blazer
Necklace: silver ball multi chain long necklace
Dress: Zara printed bib front tunic dress (worn as top)
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in silver)
BagBalenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta

Why I wore it:

After a few days signed off sick from work, my voice still wasn't fully back, but I could kind of hold a conversation, so I headed into the office. This was a mistake and I should have stayed home. I ended up getting told to go home by two different bosses. By lunch time I took their advice, called it quits and went home.

While I felt horrible, my outfit was designed to make me feel better, with the colourful and cheerful magenta Balenciaga day bag as a pop of colour with all of the black. The jersey blazer and skirt look a bit 'suit-like' in an attempt to project an air of professionalism with all my coughs and wheezes! Despite having a horrible day and feeling too exhausted to do anything other than order takeaway for dinner, I did like this outfit. It's a shame I wasn't well enough to enjoy it, ha!


Last worn: jersey blazer, printed dress, pencil skirt, Walnut Melbourne ballet flats, Balenciaga magenta day bag.

Other ways to wearjersey blazer and pencil skirt, printed dress and denim jacket, pencil skirt in winter, Walnut Melbourne ballet flats and skinny jeans, Balenciaga magenta day bag and maxi dress.

Perfect for pregnancyjersey blazer and maternity pencil skirt, printed dress in second trimester, pencil skirt in first trimester, Walnut Melbourne ballet flats in second trimester, Balenciaga magenta day bag in third trimester.



How To Pick The Balenciaga Bag That's Right For You:







What I wore:

casual dress worn as top tucked into bermuda denim shorts SAHM errand outfit | awayfromblue

Balenciaga regular Pompon bag in Murier | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram Balenciaga regular Pompon bag in Murier, dress worn as top with bermuda denim shorts
Necklace: silver heart long pendant necklace
Dress: Zara printed bib front tunic dress (worn as top)
ShortsJeanswest Trinity Bermuda denim shorts
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in white
Bracelets: the usual plus Cora purpleheart and mother of pearl watch C/O JORD
Bag: Balenciaga regular Pompon bag in Murier

Why I wore it:

Feeling much better, I wore the dress again as a top a few days afterwards. Instead of layering a pencil skirt over the top, I just bundled it up and partially tucked it into my denim shorts, which have been on heavy repeat lately. As the weather is getting cooler here in Brisbane, the longer sleeves from the dress worked nicely with the slightly longer length of the bermuda shorts.

Just like the pink Balenciaga day bag above, I picked this Balenciaga Pompon bag for an extra touch of colour with the otherwise monochromatic blue outfit. I have been enjoying using this Balenciaga bag lately, as you may have seen on Instagram.

Added the Converse as it was a bit of a showery day and as much as I love my trusty Havaianas that you'll see in most of my outfit photos, I don't like them in the rain much! The Converse were much easier for running around chasing after the boys as we attempted to achieve multiple things in one morning.


Last worn: printed dress (above), bermuda denim shorts, Converse. First time I've shown the bag on the blog as it's a recent addition to my wardrobe.

Other ways to wearprinted dress in winter, bermuda denim shorts and kimono, Converse and pencil skirt.

Perfect for pregnancyprinted dress in third trimester, Converse for second trimester travel.



Navy Printed Dresses Under $50:







How You Can Wear It:


Try rewear your favourite dress differently by layering and wearing it as a top. For shorter dresses, you can add a pencil skirt over the top to instantly make them a work-appropriate length. If the dress is a light soft fabric like this viscose one, scrunch it up and tuck it into a pair of shorts for a different casual summer look.


Linking up with Style Sessions, Turning Heads, Trend Spin, Confident Twosday, Style On The Daily, Oh Hey Girl.




Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

69 comments:

  1. I wear dresses as tops all the time, I have some pieces that are too short to wear on their own so I always pair them with my jeans or shorts. You look amazing in both outfits Mica. Hope you are having a great Monday and a lovely start of the week! x

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea for too short dresses too! :)

      Delete
  2. I never really wore a dress as top, only one that my husband gifted me. To be hinest, I wouldn't dare to wear that one as a dress, it is SO short, I'd be constantly flashing people...

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, it's easy to add an extra layer when dresses are so short!

      Delete
  3. I never realised how versatile dresses could be, Mica! Both outfits are fabulous and show how one item can be successfully styled for the office and the weekend. I am always amazed at how you can come up with so many different ways to style a single item of clothing! I tend to wear the same item in the same way over and over, so I should start mixing things up a bit! Hope you have a great week, Mica! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! It's fun thinking up new ways to wear things!

      Delete
  4. Very sleek office outfit! I love that you wore the dress as a top to the office! The print and colour is so easy to style too, for the office or casually.

    The Balenciaga bags are such classics. Being boring old me I'd probably just stick to black or gunmetal, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balenciaga do the best bright bags! I can't resist the fun colours, haha!

      Delete
  5. I looove both of your Balenciaga bags! They are such fun colors! And that dress as a top is perfect!

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that you've been ill, I hope you feel better now. <3 That first outfit is so gorgeous, it's so smart and stylish and I really like the pop of colour you've added to it with the bag. Such a lovely shade! The second outfit looks so casual, comfy and definitely something I can see myself wearing and enjoying. Thanks for sharing, dear, and thank you for the kind comment on my blog. <3 It means a lot! x

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I'm feeling much better now! :)

      Delete
  7. Love the pink pop of color with that first bag! I tend to always buy neutral bags, but I think I should start branching out more! Thanks for sharing, Mica!

    -Emily | www.East91Blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute looks.
    xx
    https://theonethattravels.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this so creative Mica. You look great in both outfits.

    amakamedia.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Mica !!!
    You show very well the versatility of the pieces of clothing. How a classic piece looks good on a weekend outift !!

    Next weekend is Easter, a religious feast for Catholics, and I am very busy with the preparations. Good week for you and family.
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mica! I pray you are feeling better. I really love both looks. ...very creative and cute. I really would not know it was a dress if you didn't express it. Thanks for sharing!

    I pray your sweet baby had a blessed birthday celebration! It's a little chilly here but I'm headed to play tennis anyways:) Have a blessed week!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiff! He had a wonderful birthday, and I am feeling much better.

      Delete
  12. Love your bags so much
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: SPRING STYLE: DRESS + SNEAKERS



    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, I'm sorry about your throat! I lost my voice during a work conference recently and it was awful! I hope you feel better now.
    I seriously love both outfits - that's totally something I would wear to work too! The pop of color with your bag is perfect!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you know my pain, haha! I'm all better now though :)

      Delete
  14. I hope you feel better now :) The pink bag changes the outfit a lot, it makes it casual but more fashionable like you are going to work but not a typical office work, more like a work at fashion magazine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling much better! I love brining my bright bags to the office too, so cheerful to have them sit on my desk! :)

      Delete
  15. I love doing this! It really allows for you to get the most out of a favorite dress. I've only ever done this with one dress, but I never tried it with denim, I'll have to see how that works for me! Thanks for sharing and I hope you're having a Happy Monday!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you can give it a go! I need to try this with more of my dresses, it's a fun way to wear them!

      Delete
  16. Wearing dresses as tops is always a fun way to get more use out of them! I've never tried it with shorts but I've definitely done it with skirts.
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to try it more often with shorts, I like the combo :)

      Delete
  17. Wow! Love it and the pop of pink color.

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love both of these looks so much--you are always so creative with your wardrobe Mica! The first one is so polished and professional. I do the same thing and try to dress up a little when I feel bad to try to trick myself into feeling better. I'm sorry that didn't work for you that time! I love the casual second look too, that dress really works well as a top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shea - it's a good trick to try make yourself feel better, but doesn't always work, haha! I'm feeling much better :)

      Delete
  19. Oh, hon, I hope you are feeling better! I love the first outfit - look at you, all corporate! That dress works so good as a top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better, thank you! It is such an awesome corporate outfit from such a casual dress :)

      Delete
  20. this is very creative! I never thought about wearing a dress as a top!! I love your Balenciaga bag. great styling xx

    |Elegant Duchess|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can give it a try! It's a nice way to wear a dress :)

      Delete
  21. Wow! It looks great as a top! I love how you think outside the fashion box Mica. Great to get more wear out of your wardrobe.
    Very nice.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It's fun to come up with different ways to wear things!

      Delete
  22. Good gob with this, I would never know this was a dress. I often wear dresses as tops as most dresses are too short on me. But generally with pants, never thought to do it this way. Both looks are super fun.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to wear a too-short dress!

      Delete
  23. Wearing it as a top is so creative! You can't even tell it was a dress!
    --Roxanne
    http://glassofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That dress makes a really cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The way you re-use this tunic dress is so clever!! It almost feels like you have 3 different pieces in one. Actually, if I hadn't read it was a dress I would've been convinced it was a blouse. Love it in both looks! You can totally style it in formal or casual ways <3
    xx

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work so well as a top! It's a really versatile dress! :)

      Delete
  26. I love the versatilities of these bags how perfect they work with your style :)
    http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2018/03/balmain-springs-guilty-pleasure-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never would've guessed the 2 "tops" in your looks were actually dresses! What a brilliant way to wear the piece differently, I will definitely try that next time when I have a "I have nothing to wear!" moment!

    Jenny // Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's good to have new ways to wear an old favourite! :)

      Delete
  28. What a cute and versatile top! I like how you made both a running around town and work outfit from it. i don't rework dresses that much, but really should!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You always have the cutest balenciaga bag.
    Love both bags!

    Much Love, Jane | The Bandwagon Chic
    New Vlog Entry!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks great as a top! It goes really well with the black skirt and kind of looks like it's one of those dresses that has different skirt material.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's incredible how completely different the top looks with each outfit. A really versatile top! x

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look absolutely charming in the pix! Such an elegant pieces! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. You look simple yet cool... Fashion is all about mixing and wearing your cloths with confidence.

    Glowyshoes's blog

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the way you styled the bags. Both looks are so cute for a causal day out.
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Balenciaga is seriously one of my favorites- and your collection is legendary, babe!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I do have a few Balenciaga bags!

      Delete
  36. What a versatile tunic! I love how you styled it both ways!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your top looks really cute both ways! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. First of all I totally thought that was a tunic blouse. I have and own many similar tops and like you I style and re-style them in many different ways. I particularly love the office look, Mica.

    Hope you are feeling much better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look so much like a blouse! And I'm feeling much better, thank you!

      Delete
  39. I'd never guess this was a dress in either outfit! It works as a top so well! I really need to try this trick with some of my lightweight dresses. It can expand your wardrobe choices so much, especially if it's a print you love! Thanks for the inspiration! Glad to see you are feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad I could give you some inspiration!

      Delete
  40. Thank you all for your lovely comments! :) I'm feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That's such a cute bag you got there dear! Love the chic color. And yes, black outfit is perfect with pink!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mica those pink Balenciagas always had me dreaming about them! I remember when they came out, I fell in love! Yours is gorgeous!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  43. I must say that dress is gorgeous! I love the print style and the neckline. You look so chic in the the first outfit even though you mentioned that you were sick. I also love the casual vibe of the second outfit. I wish I can tuck in the dress hem into pants but the humidity here is so strong that the extra fabric layered underneath will drive me mad hahaha. Have a rejuvenating weekend my dear :) x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I should definitely give this a go with some of my plain skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  45. That first outfit is so elegant and sophisticated! I absolutely love it. The bag adds a fun pop of colour to it. I love the second outfit as well. Great ways to style dresses as tops.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...