Monday 19 February 2018

Balenciaga City Compared To Rebecca Minkoff Regan (with Sheath Dresses For The Office)

I love my Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan bag, but held off buying the bigger Regan satchel as I wasn't sure if it was too similar to the Balenciaga city bag. After extra reductions in the Rebecca Minkoff sale, I snapped it up. It's interesting seeing the similarities and differences between the city and the Regan bags. Both look great for work with some printed sheath dresses!

What I wore:

jersey blazer, scarf, orange print sheath dress, navy rebecca Minkoff regan satchel | awayfromblue

Rebecca Minkoff Regan Satchel Tote in moon with orange dress | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram orange sheath dress layered scarf jersey blazer office wear
Jacketthrifted Zara black blazer
Scarf: gifted blush metallic rose gold shimmer scarf
Necklace: Lovisa gold filigree heart pendant
DressFrench Connection 'Woodblock wonder' panache dress in white/geranium rose
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs black logo plaque ballet flats
Bracelets: the usual plus Lovisa rose gold beaded bracelet stack
BagRebecca Minkoff Regan Satchel Tote in moon (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

No, it isn't scarf weather yet in Brisbane! This scarf I got from my mum is so pretty though, a lovely blush shade with rose gold thread running through it. I added it in the morning as I'd lost my voice the afternoon before, and thought it best to keep wrapped up in the office air con. Thankfully my voice (mostly) made it through to the end of the day.

I forgot that this necklace hangs at an awkward length and bangs noisily on my work pass when I wear it, but the scarf did help muffle it a litte.

I usually pick neutral bags to wear with this colourful orange sheath dress. Although there was one time I paired it with an orange bag. I like blue and orange together, so the navy Regan satchel was a nice addition and a change from my usual grey. With the blazer and ballet flats, it's a classic office outfit combo, and one that I relly on a lot. Especially when life gets hectic, as happens often with two little ones. I wonder how full time office workers with kids do it all sometimes!

This dress is on it's eighth wear, even though this year marks 5 years since I bought it. I do tend to keep it to spring/summer as I prefer to wear it without tights. Other than not getting worn a lot (which is even harder to do now I'm only in the office a couple of days a week), there's nothing wrong with it. I feel bad keeping pieces like this that are so rarely worn in my wardrobe, but given the choice again today I'd still buy it if I saw it in a store so it's staying, even if it will be a while before it gets worn again!


Last worn: jersey blazer, orange sheath dress, ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff Regan satchel.

Other ways to wearjersey blazer and a-line skirt, orange sheath dress layered for winter, ballet flats and printed shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Regan satchel and shorts.

Perfect for pregnancyjersey blazer in third trimester, orange sheath dress hiding a baby bump.




Balenciaga City and Rebecca Minkoff Regan Side By Side Comparison:





What I wore:

French Connection paisley print sheath dress, jersey blazer pink Balenciaga city bag | away from blue

Balenciaga RH classic city in 2010 sorbet | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram paisley print dress jersey blazer pink Balenciaga city bag summer office wear
Necklace: freshwater pearl necklace and long freshwater pearl strand necklace
DressFrench Connection blue Paisley print dress
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs metallic mouse flats (on sale in black!)
Bracelets: the usual plus Cora purpleheart and mother of pearl watch C/O JORD
BagBalenciaga RH classic city in 2010 sorbet (more affordable preloved)

Why I wore it:

Unlike the orange sheath dress above, this blue paisley print one has been worn a lot more often. One of my favourite work pieces, it just makes me feel pulled together and confident. I've worn blue bags with this dress in the past, but this is the first time I've worn the dress and Balenciaga city bag together. I've worn it with a pink blazer in the past, but never a pink bag. I really liked the combination - I'm sure it will come up again in my quest to get to 30 wears with this dress this year!

While I love the Rebecca Minkoff Regan above and think it's a great classic option for work, there's something so cheerful about the pink Balenciaga city bag that makes me smile when I wear it. Paired with my favourite blue sheath dress, it's a great mood booster for a tough week.

The pearl necklaces were a last minute choice, I'd planned to wear another necklace but changed my mind that morning. I'm not completely happy with them. I did try knot the longer chain of pearls but when I couldn't get the knot to sit right and I was in a rush I just left it. I think knotting it would have looked better though, like this time I knotted the necklace.


Last worn: cream jersey blazer, Paisley print sheath dress, gold mouse flats, Balenciaga sorbet city bag.

Other ways to wearcream jersey blazer and pencil skirt, Paisley print sheath dress and purple bag, gold mouse flats and flares, Balenciaga sorbet city bag and denim shorts.

Perfect for pregnancyPaisley print sheath dress in second trimester, gold mouse flats and maternity wrap dress, Balenciaga sorbet city bag at 37 weeks.


Sheath Dresses For The Office Under $50:







How You Can Wear It


Sheath dresses are a classic cut and style for the office. They work in many different office dress codes. Fun printed ones like these two are perfect for business casual offices, but if you have a more formal dress code you could go with a plain version.




Linking up with Creative Mondays, Trend Spin, Turning Heads, Confident Twosday.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

71 comments:

  1. I love both dresses and the accessories you've chosen to go with them, especially the contrasting colour of the handbags!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. These dresses are so cute, I love the bags you used too!
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always put together such pretty outfits for the office, Mica! Both dresses are really pretty and you've accessorised so well. I love both bags too! I especially love the colour of the Balenciaga bag! So pretty! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both dresses are so beautiful. I love their prints. I adore how you styled them. Both shades remind me the upcoming spring.
    You look beautiful in both Styles.
    Have a wonderful day 😘😘
    Kisses 😘😘
    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfits and I love both bags. Such a great review video. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Balenciaga bag but I had no idea that Rebecca Minkoff Regan has one similar. The dress is really pretty and going strong after 8 years.

    https://mihabalan.com/2018/02/17/likes-dislikes-living-scandinavia-foreigner/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you realise how similar the bags are when you wear them side by side! :)

      Delete
  7. I prefer the pink bag... Great ideas for the office...
    Here is flu time, oh my i miss so much summer...
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The two dresses are lovely, Mica, and you accessorized them well! And I agree....that RM bag is great but there's something about the colour of the pink Balenciaga that gives it that extra oomph:)
    Hope you're having a lovely Monday:) Family Day here where I am so no school today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mica, the bag you finally snapped is beautiful! As usual I like both of your looks although I understand that the first necklace isn't the bet friend of your batch-lenyard :) How good you wore this scarf. And I'm not surprised that the second dress belongs to your favs as it is extremely beautiful and suits you very well!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have dresses I prefer to wear without tights too so that does limit their wear a bit. I love the bigger Reagan bag! It looks like a great size and I like the options of straps! It's a nice neutral color that will be very versatile for you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've worn it a lot - navy goes with so much! :)

      Delete
  11. Both dresses are so cute, I love both patterns. I tend to keep clothes I rarely wear, it seems impossible to throw them away, I once threw a grey leopard dress I rarely wore and I regret it, it was a huge mistake and since then I keep them at the back of my closet just in case! x

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! I regret letting some things go so it makes it hard to let anything go from my wardrobe!

      Delete
  12. Amazing bags dear!!!!
    kiss
    Chiara - http://shesinfashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of these outfits are fabulous! I so love the pink color of your Balenciaga bag - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both addresses very much MIca!
    I really love the rose printed dress from French connection, the abstract wood block print is super cool. I always love your Rebecca Minkoff bags, and am crushing on the Balenciaga one as well.
    This soft, almost sheer scarf in your first outfit is a lovely touch. I know you were having some uncomfortable weather with it being so warm. I hope you stay cool and have a wonderful week ahead .
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! I'm hoping it cools down soon.

      Delete
  15. I love the dresses but the accessories are beautiful! I think the Balenciaga bag is so cute too! <3

    Stacey, thebambieyes.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of those look like great bags, but I think I'm more drawn to the Rebecca Minkoff one, I'm not sure why. Both dresses are so pretty too! I think the first with the print and color seems to be better for warm weather, while the second looks easier to layer up even when it's cooler out. Maybe that's why it's gotten more wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love layering it up for cooler weather, I do wear it in a lot more months than the orange one.

      Delete
  17. I only have one sheet dress and it is grey. Very versatile, as you can style it with different jumpers or blazers on top.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've worn these with jumpers over the top in the cooler weather :)

      Delete
  18. You have some lovely dresses. Love both dresses :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays, hope to see you on Wednesday for our next blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The dress looks gorgeous Mica and has lasted you well! I love rediscovering old items and styling with timeless accessories. Love the hot pink colour of the Balenciaga bag!
    Jaz
    xoxo
    http://www.thelifeofasocialbutterfly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pink shoulder bag is really pretty
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well a girl can never have too many bags and Rebecca Minkoff is the queen of bags or designer bags that are affordable. Both dresses are great and I have had that problem too of noisy jewelry clothes. I always think of George on Seinfeld and his noisy pants during a job interview.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes! :) You can never have too many bags ;)

      Delete
  22. Hi Mica! I love both dresses! As always you accessorized beautifully! I pray you are having a great start to your week!

    Tiff
    Http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm, I can see why you held off until there was a sale - it really is quite similar looking to the Balenciaga! I loved watching your video comparison!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked the video! :) They are so similar when you put them side by side.

      Delete
  24. Both bags are beautiful! I really like my Regan satchel :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such cute looks! I love both of these bags and how the Balenciaga gives a pretty pop of color!

    <3 Shannon 
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  26. I need more work dresses so I might have a look and see what French Connection have. I love both patterns on those dresses, especially the orange one. It's different without being loud and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French Connection used to be a go-to for me for work dresses, I love this sheath style they do :)

      Delete
  27. Hi Mica! You look so lovely in both outfits ♥ As for your bags, I usually go for black as I can wear it with almost anything. Thus, your pink bag looks absolutely cute too! :)

    God bless and stay gorgeous! Hear from you soon!

    Love, Airish
    Gorgeous Glance
    www.airishabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have black bags, I just love and wear my colourful ones more! :)

      Delete
  28. I love the dress.. it looks lovely. YOu have a very pretty smile
    https://zunera-serena.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love the prints of these sheath dresses, so cool and pleasing to the eyes. Yes, these 2 bags are almost alike aside from the extra studs of the Balenciaga. I like them since they ca be a good work horse bag and can store all the essentials. So busy last weekend as it's my second son's birthday but it was really fun though. Hope you have a good start of the week.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your son had a lovely birthday! :) And yes, I love Balenciaga bags, they fit everything! :)

      Delete
  30. I like both looks but am drawn to that pretty printed dress on the second look worn with the pearls, very pretty Mica.
    Here the weather is sunny, breezy... just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look great in both outfits but if I had to vote. Here is my choice: I vote for your blue paisley dress and the pink Bal bag. It's such a nice combo together! Aside from the pink color I also like the studs on the bag. It gives it a bit more personality and sass unlike the RM bag were it seems plain.

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a pretty outfit! And I LOVE the color of your purse - such a nice combo!

    -Emily | www.East91Blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Loving these looks, sister! So cute + professional!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  34. Both of these looks are fabulous and I don't konw...anymore, I think you can wear a lightweight scarf anytime of the year (I do anyways, lol), but especially when they are as pretty as this one is!

    Laura
    Black Coffee Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it's definitely good to wear a light scarf like this year round! :)

      Delete
  35. If if you don't wear a piece all the time, if you still love it when you do wear it, it's worth holding on to!
    iamchiconthecheap.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I never noticed how similar these bags are until they were next to each other! I actually love the RM bag because it's a little simpler! (& more affordable!)

    michellespaige.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the orange and blue together. They compliment each other so well. I also just adore that hot pink purse!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ooh, I love the contrasting colors between the outfit and the bag! The Regan satchel calls out to me more - I don't know what it is but when it comes to bigger bags, I prefer a bit more structure to them. Both are great though, like someone else said I didn't know they were so similar until you put them next to each other!

    Sam / My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they look so similar side my side! it will be interesting to see if the Regan holds its structure when it's as old as the Balenciaga but I think it might.

      Delete
  39. Gorgeous from head to toe! The first dress is so cute! I can't believe you have it for 5 years, it looks impeccable! Your second outfit is amazing as well, love the contrast between the flats and the bag, they look so well! <3
    Hope you're having a lovely week, dear!

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Both dresses have worn so well over the years!

      Delete
  40. Great dresses, and, of course, you have The Best Bags!!! I love them both!

    Andrea

    Andrea’s Wellness Notes

    ReplyDelete
  41. Always love your outfits! I usually pair my blazers with jeans, but I should try them with dresses more. The addition of the pearl necklace in the second outfit is just perfect! Hope your week is going well!

    Jenny | Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great option if it's just not cool enough for blazer and jeans like it is now here haha!

      Delete
  42. That outfit with sheath looks so classy.
    I love the satin material.
    You really nailed office look.

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the city bag. One of my first big purchases was this. My cousin actually had to buy it for me in Paris (where he lives) and mail it back to me. This was over 10 years ago too. Ahhh those were the days. No one here knew who or what Balenciaga was too. I remember going into a Guess store and one of the girls ran up to me and grabbed it in awe hahahaha! It was the first time she'd seen one in real life hahaha. Oh man. Such a different world and time. Online shopping was nothing like it is today.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember trying to order from the Balenciaga store in Paris - in my broken French, haha! I was relieved when they put on an English speaking sales assistant for me! It's a classic bag I think! :)

      Delete
  44. I adore both bags and they each look lovely paired with the outfits. You have an amazing sense of fashion, Mica and I love that your outfits are chic and realistic for most of us. Nothing crazy, nothing over the top just beautiful and functional.

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shireen! Not much opportunity to be too crazy with fashion when you have two little ones, haha!

      Delete
  45. Mica you look gorgeous! I love the pink bag and the orange dress, so pretty! You're killing it lately with all the outfits you're putting together! I hope you're well and the weather cools down!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna! It means a lot coming from someone as stylish as you! :)

      Delete
  46. You got a great deal on that bag Mica and it will compliment so many things in your wardrobe. It's a gorgeous bag! Great styling with both outfits.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! It really does go with so much :)

      Delete
  47. Thank you all for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...