Monday 10 June 2019

Black Maxi Skirt Worn 2 Ways In Winter & Weekday Wear Linkup

I packed light for our Europe trip, trying to take things I knew I'd wear. A maxi skirt is a staple for me even in winter in Australia so I thought it would work well in Scottish spring - around 10-12 degrees Celsius, so a Brisbane winter!

This black maxi skirt is a breeze to travel with, and I kept it rolled up in my hand luggage as my spare change of clothes just in case! I wore it a few times on our travels, and today I'm sharing two of those ways I wore it.

What I wore:

Maxi skirt in winter with leather jacket berry blouse and ankle boots | away from blue

awayfromblue Instagram black leather jacket maxi skirt berry blouse in scotland
JacketJeanswest black leather moto jacket
NecklaceTiffany diamonds by the yard necklace
TopJeanswest Frankie soft blouse in berry (new purchase)
Skirt: thrifted Crossroads black ruffle hem maxi skirt
Shoes: RMK Chester black ankle boots
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere

Why I wore it:

Wore this outfit to be a little more dressed up, we weren't the only ones flying to Scotland for the wedding so we all headed to the airport to pickup someone, who sadly arrived without their luggage! A quick detour to some nearby shops later for the essentials to tide them over until their luggage arrived the next day and then we all went for diner. It was a day of a lot of excitement and good food. And I was thrilled to get an opportunity to snap a photo overlooking Edinburgh town - although I am completely blocking the view of the castle! 😂 You can see Calton hill and Arthur Seat just to the side of me.

This berry toned blouse was a last minute addition to my suitcase when it arrived just before we left. With a tank underneath, leggings and ankle boots under my maxi skirt and a leather jacket, I felt this was cosy enough for the day.

You can see more on my thoughts about what I packed and what I actually wore in my video below.


Last worn: leather jacket, necklace, black maxi skirt, ankle boots, Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere. First time I've worn the blouse on the blog.

Other ways to wearleather jacket and dress, black maxi skirt and foil print teeblack ankle boots worn 30 ways, Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere for travel.

Perfect for pregnancyankle boots in second trimester, Louis Vuitton speedy bandouliere in third trimester.


What I Packed: Capsule Wardrobe For My Europe Trip




Sharing what I brought with me and how much everything was worn - the winning pieces and pieces I didn't really wear!




What I wore:

maxi skirt in winter with leather jacket ankle boots purple scarf | away from blue

awayfromtheblue instagram | wrap top, maxi skirt scarf leather jacket ankle boots and mini MAc bag layered up for winter
ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs mauve square scarf
TopDorothy Perkins 3/4 sleeve wrap top
Skirt: thrifted Crossroads black ruffle hem maxi skirt
Shoes: RMK Chester black ankle boots
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC

Why I wore it:

Another slightly dressier occasion meant pulling out my maxi skirt again. We drove into the Scottish borders for lunch to an adorable little town, that sadly like most little towns hundreds of years old was not designed to have cars driving through it! It was a bit of a hair-raising experience for someone like me who isn't a fan of driving most of the time and hates parking, navigating a hire car down these little single lane roads with cars and houses either side. I was glad I'd snapped this pic before we left, I was not looking as composed when we did find a place to park in the end! 😂

Thankfully lunch was wonderful and the location beautiful - we were happy to sit and eat and watch the rain fall, it started to dry up before we left.

Again I layered this maxi skirt up for the cooler weather, with my blue wrap top, purple scarf, cosy leather jacket and hiding some tights underneath the skirt along with the ankle boots.


Last worn: black leather jacket (above), blue wrap top, purple scarf, black maxi skirt (above), ankle boots (above), Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC.

Other ways to wearblack leather jacket and jeans, blue wrap and bright pants, purple scarf and printed dress, black maxi skirt in summer, ankle boots and printed dressRebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC and green jeans.

Perfect for pregnancyankle boots in second trimesterRebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC in third trimester.


Black Maxi Skirts Under $50:






How You Can Wear It:

A maxi skirt can work just as well in winter as it does in summer! Instead of light floaty layers, think cosy heavier layers like scarves, boots, leather jackets, and even tights of leggings underneath the skirt! Works well when there's no snow around, and the ankle boots keep your feet dry and warm if it rains.





Weekday Wear Linkup #22


Welcome to the Weekday Wear linkup! A linkup for you to share your weekday outfits - whether that is office wear or stay at home mum wear - if you wore it on a weekday, you can link it up!

Guidelines:
1. Please link to a specific outfit post, not your blog homepage.
2. Link back to this post so others can find the link up.
3. Follow your host Away From The Blue on BloglovinInstagramTwitterFacebook or YouTube.
4. Add up to two posts and be sure to visit and comment on as many other posts as possible to get some weekday outfit inspiration!
Optional: tweet the post you linked up with the hashtag #weekdayWearLinkUp so I can retweet!




Subscribe for The Weekday Wear Linkup reminder emails




Linking up with Confident Twosday, Trend Spin, Turning Heads, Style Sessions, Style On The Daily, Fashion Frenzy, Thursday Moda, Fashion Files, Chic and Stylish.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

67 comments:

  1. Both outfits look effortlessly stylish, Mica! I'd never really thought about wearing a maxi skirt in cooler temps, but it looks great on you, especially with being able to wear leggings or tights underneath to stay warm! I really love the leather jacket you've paired with it in both outfits too. You managed to look so stylish on your trip, Mica! I always look so dishevelled when I travel in cooler temps! ;) Hope your week is off to a good start. We've all been sick with colds the past few days! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! I think the extra lyering was key to not freezing, haha!

      Delete
  2. Great idea to pack the skirt in your carry on luggage. It is a great and versatile piece. Not having my luggage arrive when I do is a fear of mine - hearing it happened to your friend makes me realize even more how often it does happen. I must remember to pack smartly with my carry on!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it happened to someone else who flew in for the wedding too, eek! Luckily they got their luggage 2 days later.

      Delete
  3. A wardrobe staple. Will look great for evening wear too. Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need to try this capsule wardrobe thing! Thanks for sharing x

    Maria @ clumsyagenda.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mica, I adore both of these outfits! The black maxi skirt looks so great with the moto jacket. I also am really liking the all black with the little splashes of color. You are so cute!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moto jacket and maxi skirt combo is a great travel look! Thanks for the link up.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your summer is off to a great start...though it looks more like winter! Going to Brisbane sounds amazing and I think the max if perfect. Losing luggage strikes chords of fear in every gal! It helps me try and remember to get a few good changes into my carry on! Hope you're having a wonderful time and happy belated birthday to your boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes spring in Scotland felt so much like winter to us Aussies!

      Delete
  8. Your maxi skirt is adorable and I love both of these looks! Such a good idea to pack your skirt in your carry on. My luggage has been lost a few times and the first time I wasn't prepared!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so love the idea of the maxi skirt with the leather jacket! So cool, Mica:) And love your capsule wardrobe. It was definitely a versatile collection, and it was great to see you wearing these items on your blog posts.
    Hope you're having a lovely day/night:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving both of these looks!! And I know what you mean, I hate driving to places where I don't know what the parking situation is or if it's parking on the street. I get too nervous and freak out, haha. I like a nice, easy parking lot
    https://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, parking is definitely the most stressful part of driving!

      Delete
  11. Your maxi skirt looks perfect for travel- versatile, functional and comfortable. I totally agree with you on driving in new places (a different country no less in your situation!). It is stressful!! Glad you made it around safely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always layer like a pro Mica!! And I would't want to be driving in another country with those tiny roads either!!
    XOXO
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful skirt, and loving that jacket too <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking fashionably warm Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the 2nd look with the moto jacket and layered scarf, very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love both ways in which you styled a black maxi skirt. You're always so stylish. I'm getting rock vibes from both of these looks, maybe because of the aviator jacket. Both outfits are fab. I like the contrast with the red top in the first one and the purple scarf in the second one is lovely!

    P.S. I'm happy to hear your son's birthday party went well. Happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, he had such a fun birthday!

      Delete
  17. You know I never thought of wearing a maxi dress in winter. But this is a good idea. Both of these outfits look great on you and they look super comfy as well!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look great.. you have styled them perfectly.

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Packing light is always a good bet when it comes to traveling. And versatile pieces like that black maxi skirt are definitely the to go. Both outfits look so chic and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I so need to make myself a capsules closet. I hope you have a great week. My week is a busy one. I'm working 7 days straight this week.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both of these look so stylish and comfy! Love your video too!

    Lizzie
    www.lizzieinlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your maxi dress! You did a wonderful job styling it :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That black maxi skirt, with its cute little ruffle, will be a true Winter staple. I especially love it worn with the berry top. Such a gorgeously rich Winter colour! Have a great week, Mica! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This skirt is so cute on you and I love how you styled it x

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love how you toned it down with the black, and then had the pop of red. My kind of outfit!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look wonderful in your maxi skirt! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love wearing maxi skirts for traveling—you look pulled together, but you're comfy too. Love how you styled yours with a moto jacket too!
    Cheryl Shops | www.cherylshops.net

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd have a hard time driving in any European city! The roads and parking are so much more narrow than what we are used to! I remember some parking garages when we were traveling in Spain that my husband needed me to get out of the car and check corners for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I was not used to the small roads!

      Delete
  29. I love black maxi skirts too, especially for travel like you mentioned! They really are so easy to roll up and pack in a suitcase. Love how you styled yours!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. A black maxi skirt is a serious wardrobe and travel staple. It's so versatile and not to mention comfy! I love the two ways you wore it for your travels and it looks perfect with your motto jacket. I hope your week is off to a great start and happy Tuesday!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. That maxi skirt is such a versatile piece! I love the ruffle at the bottom!

    http://www.ruthyannie.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. You look so cool in that leather jacket Mica! Aren t they the best jackets! Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You really give your skirt a good workout, Mica. Skirts like this one are travels essentials as you can create so many different looks with it. Love the second look for its purple scarf over blue top. Hope you had great time in Scotland
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am fan of maxi dresses- you look so stylish dear- Happy b-day to your son. Europe trip? - it sounds great. It's very warm here now - in Poland today is 36oC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame it was not that warm when we visited, haha!

      Delete
  35. So true a black maxi skirt is such a handy item to take travelling as its so easy to dress up or down. I know what you mean about the historical towns and their narrow streets, tricky driving for sure. Many thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the why I wore it part of the post. Amazing outfits!
    https://miss-uncover.blogspot.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjqx5GwSIU23cLC7fLuso2A

    ReplyDelete
  37. I know you were terrified driving on those narrow roads. I bet you were glad you to get to your destination. I think a black maxi skirt is great for travel because you can style it for day or night.

    ReplyDelete
  38. The skirt looks great! Love how you styled it!

    Have a lovely week.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the pop of red in the first outfit and then the purple in the second! Love a pop of colour with black :)
    Amy xx
    callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  40. That maxi skirt is super cool. Yes you can wear it in winter and summer
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. A black maxi travels so well, you're right! I love how small you can roll it up in your suitcase!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  42. wow i love how you made one skirt so versatile for the multiple seasons! makes the investment in clothes worth it!
    xx jen
    http://lilthoughtswithjen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love a maxi skirt and you are so right, they are perfect for traveling!!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I learnt the hard way long ago when luggage was delayed. I always carryon for travelling. I like the skirt, I think it's always lovely to add a maxi skirt or dress for travel.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Mica
    So you're in Europe? Very different from Australia ah !!
    Here everything has history with centuries of antiquity like this little village !!
    I love maxi skirts and you look wonderful in both looks !!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes very different from Australia!

      Delete
  46. A black maxi skirt is a must-have piece, so versatile and stylish... I love your outfits!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  47. I absolutely love maxi skirts. Nothing freeing and airy than them. I like the comfort of your outfits. Beautifully styled Mica! :-)
    Have a blessed week.

    https://www.missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  48. That skirt looks perfect for winter, I love how you styled it too
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the flounced hem on this skirt - can you pull it up and make it into a strapless dress (belt it)? I've had maxis that do that - it makes them good travel pieces.

    Oh, I miss Scotland. I was there once, in 1996.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that with maxis back in the day - I've not tried it with this though, I can't do strapless after kids, haha!

      Delete
  50. A skirt like this is so versatile and perfect for travel! I love both ways that you styled it for your trip. =)

    I hope you are having a great week so far!

    Amber

    https://www.avecamber.com
    https://www.bloglovin.com/avecamber

    ReplyDelete
  51. It certainly does sound like it was quite cold, but you came prepared. I also wear leggings under skirts and dresses all the time in cooler weather.

    I love the outfits you created with the maxi skirt. It really does look so dressy, but still cozy with the warmer elements you added.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
  52. Such a good idea to bring black skirt that can be easily mixed and matched, I actually like this when you wore it to Disneyland. It looks comfy at the same time it's warm to protect you from the cold.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  53. I'm always a fan of a leather jacket and a maxi skirt, even though I haven't worn the combination in years myself. You styled both looks well!
    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  54. I forgot my black maxi skirt in the Republic of Georgia last summer and have yet to replace it: need to do that soon! They are so versatile!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. Sooo effortlessly chic and comfy! Love it dear, and wow, what a beautiful place to visit indeed.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. Oh my gosh, I am so impressed that you drove at all in a different country, let alone through one of those little towns! That sounds terrifying--and that's without factoring in the parking situation! Yikes! You are so brave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha had I known what was waiting at the end of the drive I may not have been so eager to drive there, ha!

      Delete
  57. Thanks all for your kind comments and for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...