Monday 22 April 2019

Weekday Wear Linkup! Wearing Dresses As Tops With Pencil Skirts

Scroll down for another Weekday Wear linkup, and to see how I've layered up two printed shift dresses for the office by throwing a pencil skirt over them. (Plus the first photos of my new shorter haircut are on the blog at last! I donated 38 cm of it recently!)

What I wore:


navy shift dress worn as a top with pink balenciaga day bag pencil skirt | awayfromblue

navy and black with Balenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta | awayfromtheblue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | navy shift dress worn as a top layered under a black pencil skirt autumn office style
Earrings: gold pendant chandelier earrings
Necklace: Lovisa mixed texture beaded necklace
Dress: Zara printed bib front tunic dress
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in silver)
BagBalenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta

Why I wore it:

This navy printed shift dress was an impulse Zara buy when I was visiting Sydney a few years ago (before we got our own Zara in Brisbane!). This is not the first time I've worn it as a top, but it is the 30th time I've worn it. I'll need to do a 30 ways to wear post with it soon!

I wanted something professional enough to wear in the office but also easy enough to change up for a rare date night out with hubby to see a comedian at the powerhouse. I got him tickets as a Christmas present. It was super easy to make this outfit go from day to night just by taking off the pencil skirt, perfect for dinner and drinks after work before the show.

The magenta Balenciaga day bag was big enough to carry everything I needed and was a fun pop against the navy and black.


Last worn: gold earrings, navy printed shift dress, gold bead necklace, black pencil skirt, black ballet flats, Balenciaga magenta day bag.

Other ways to wearnavy printed shift dress and ankle boots, black pencil skirt in monochrome outfit, black ballet flats and wrap dress, Balenciaga magenta day bag for travel.

Perfect for pregnancynavy printed shift dress in second trimester, black pencil skirt in first trimester, black ballet flats in third trimester, Balenciaga magenta day bag in third trimester.



What's In My Bag: Balenciaga Magenta Day










What I wore:

geometric print shift dress worn as top with black pencil skirt magenta balenciaga day bag autumn office style | away from blue

classic RH Balenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta worn on shoulder | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram | shift dress layered under pencil skirt easy office outfit with pink Balenciaga bag
Necklace: Kmart rose gold and pink beaded necklace
DressJeanswest Nikki printed shirt dress
SkirtJeanswest black ponte pencil skirt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs logo plaque flats in camel
BagBalenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta

Why I wore it:

Making the most of my outfit formulas and wearing a similar outfit again! I really like this shift dress but it's been neglected in my wardrobe as I felt it was a little too short for life with kids. It made me smile through the day when I had to keep pulling the skirt down as I was worried the dress was too long and peeking out the bottom! The dipped hem at the back helped with that. I will definitely need to start wearing this dress more. Last time I wore it was back in 2017!

The geometric print on this dress has tiny little pastel pink shapes, a very different shade from the bright magenta Balenciaga day bag, but I think they worked well together and I really liked this combination, just as much as I did the previous times I've worn it!


Last worn: geometric print shirt dress, blush and rose gold necklace, black pencil skirt, camel ballet flats, Balenciaga magenta day bag (above).

Other ways to weargeometric print shirt dress and tights, black pencil skirt and summer tank, camel ballet flats and jeans, Balenciaga magenta day bag and denim shorts.

Perfect for pregnancyblack pencil skirt in second trimester, camel ballet flats in third trimester, Balenciaga magenta day bag in third trimester.


Printed Shirt Dresses Under $50:




How You Can Wear It:

A too short dress can still be worn to the office if you cover it up with a pencil skirt. Using this trick can turn any dress into a top! This works particularly well for longer sleeved shirt dresses, as they just look like pretty blouses, and you instantly have a more formal office outfit just by adding the skirt.




Weekday Wear Linkup #15


Welcome to the Weekday Wear linkup! A linkup for you to share your weekday outfits - whether that is office wear or stay at home mum wear - if you wore it on a weekday, you can link it up!

Guidelines:
1. Please link to a specific outfit post, not your blog homepage.
2. Link back to this post so others can find the link up.
3. Follow your host Away From The Blue on BloglovinInstagramTwitterFacebook or YouTube.
4. Add up to two posts and be sure to visit and comment on as many other posts as possible to get some weekday outfit inspiration!
Optional: tweet the post you linked up with the hashtag #weekdayWearLinkUp so I can retweet!





Subscribe for The Weekday Wear Linkup reminder emails




Linking up with Modest Monday, On Mondays We Link Up, Trend Spin, Turning Heads, Style Sessions, Confident Twosday, On The Daily Express.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

56 comments:

  1. Cute look, love the bag
    https://sepatuholig.blogspot.com/
    ig @grace_njio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks fantastic Mica! Love the cut!
    I think it's a great idea to wear a dress you find to short as a blouse - wonderful work look! Great way to salvage a piece of clothing!
    Have a wonderful week!
    xo,
    Kellyann
    www.thisblondesshoppingbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great idea to wear the dress as a top! The item becomes even more versatile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the new haircut, super cute!

    xx, Chanda
    www.mschanda.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of wearing dresses as tops! These outfits look so polished and professional. I would never have known the 'tops' were actually dresses! ;) What a great way to get more wears out of dresses. So versatile! I love your shorter hair, Mica! I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! it's a fun way to try something a little different with my dresses! :)

      Delete
  6. I love your new haircut! It's so chic and sophisticated. These blouses are perfect with this skirt. Thanks so much for the link up!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! I always forget that option for shorter dresses...that you can wear them as tops with skirts. I wear them over jeans often, but never as a top. I will have to give that a try! You look fantastic as always!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your haircut! I cannot wait to cut mine but I am waiting till it is closer to our vacation so I am trying to be patient! What a great idea to use a dress as a shirt! It looks great with your skirt!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to wait two years until it was long enough to donate, haha!

      Delete
  9. I never think to wear my dresses as skirts and you styled both of these beautifully! I really love your hair! You look gorgeous!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look extremely sexy in bob. Its getting extremely hot and humid here
    www.stylebasket.in

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute look! Love the bag!
    ~Samantha
    http://goldcoastgirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love this idea, Mica of wearing a skirt over a dress. And you'd just never know!!
    I have a shirtdress that I think is sometimes too short, and I love wearing it as a duster too!!
    Your hair looks fabulous!!
    XOOX
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've done that too, so many ways to wear a dress differently! :)

      Delete
  13. Loving both of these! I especially like the print of the second top!
    https://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wearing your dresses is so smart and an idea I have not used, yet. How do you keep track of how many times you've worn something? I'm loving your new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I have my blog archives I can look through to see when I last wore things and I can search to see how many times I've posted about them, so I know how many times I've worn them :)

      Delete
  15. I just can't get over how cute your hair looks now! Hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving this look for work, and of course the pop of color with that bag <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look adorable with shorter hair. I really like this haircut. So great you donated your hair. I saw it on YouTube a while back but it is nice to see the new haircut here as well.

    I really like both outfits. Pencil skirts always look chic. I like how you styled them with dresses, I do that myself. I wear dresses as tops. It's very practical, isn't it? That bag is so pretty btw.



    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you not find the dress under the skirt to be too bulky? I have tried a few times, but I'm just not good at layering over a dress. Looks super cute on you though!
    xo Tea
    www.whatmamawear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are both light viscose dresses so not to bulky at all - and the shift dress style doesn't have a lot of voluminous fabric :)

      Delete
  19. I love this idea for too-short dresses, Mica! I have worn them as tunics over a pencil skirt, but this is also a great idea, especially with dresses that are thinner fabric.

    YOUR HAIR!! It's amazing! I love the cut - it totally suits you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It's taken some getting used to but I'm liking the shorter length :)

      Delete
  20. Wearing a dress as a top with a pencil skirt is a great idea! I love both outfits, but my favourite is the first one, as I absolutely love the print of your dress/top :-) The magenta bag is stunning and provides a playful splash of colour. Oh, and your "new" hair is absolutely gorgeous! Have a lovely week, Mica! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg this post was amazing! you are so pretty and i love your handbag <3

    Jadieegosh   Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your shorter hair looks so good Mica!! I love the look of the dresses with the pencil skirt too! That's a really smart idea to wear a dress that's a bit too short. I'm going to have to give that a try with some of my dresses. I hope you had a great weekend!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. A pencil skirt is really such a versatile piece, eh? And I really love how you wear your dresses as tops, Mica:)
    PS I've said this before but really love your new hair length!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love this shorter hair on you. Seriously, it looks so chic and you have such a perfectly shaped face for it.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love pencil skirts, they are so flattering and your first outfit if my favourite. The haircut suits you well.
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your new haircut looks so cute! I love that you donated your hair, too!
    Cheryl Shops | www.cherylshops.net

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your hair looks amazing, Mica. Loved these outfits, what a great way to wear a dress as a top. I hope, you are having a great start of the week. xx

    Nina's Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  28. OOHH, LOVE your hair!! I am trying really hard to grow my hair out right now (just because), but my favorite way to have my hair is short like yours. Looks great!

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your haircut looks fantastic! Love this outfit, including the pop of pink from your bag!

    -Katie
    http://www.hellokatiegirlblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love the look of the style and feel that it is super smart in order to get maximum wear from each piece. I love the pop of color that your handbag lens to these outfits. Your hair..omg.. gorgeous!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. I never thought to layer a skirt over a dress to change it up. I have tuck dress in to pants to change it up. Your haircut look amazing on you. Have a great week.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  32. So beautiful! Your outfit is amazing, but the fact that you donated your hair makes you look even more beautiful, what a nice thing!

    Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an easy thing to do and great way to honour my friend!

      Delete
  33. Well you look very professional! I think I love your hair better this lenght! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your hair really suits you at this length but regardless it is such a worthy cause. Clever idea to wear your dresses with the skirts. Glorious Balencegia bag too. Hope you had a lovely Easter. Many thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ohhh I love your hair! It looks so healthy and smart!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your hair is adorable!! I love it. and of course the outfits look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your new haircut! I recently cut mine too but it's not up on my blog yet. I also love how you wore a dress as a top! Great idea!
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  38. I absolutely love the new haircut! It's so chic and stylish on you! I'm sure it is much easier to style too! Your bright bag looks so pretty with these darker looks!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is why I love dresses. They are so versatile. You look great in both outfits Mica. Perfect outfits for the office.
    Hope you guys had a lovely Easter. Have a blessed week.

    https://www.missymayification.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  40. Firstly, I love your new hair length - it really suits you and look so sophisticated babe! Secondly, loving your idea of styling dresses as tops; such a great way of getting more out of an item of clothing :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love your new haircut! You look wonderful!
    Beautiful outfits and the first one is my favorite!

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great look Mica, thanks for sharing. Thanks for the #linkup too. Jacqui Mummabstylish

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your hair looks great, I love the new look on you! I also love that pink bag, it's such a pretty accent and gives these professional looks a fun vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the repurposing of a dress into a top. Would never had guessed, not to mention a genius move for date night too. I seldom do this with dresses I have in my own wardrobe, most are maxi length and have too much fabric so I always rule it out. Think I just need to be a little more creative.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the balenciaga bag. I have just one, but like how light they are! Yours is a great color! Love it with the black and white and how smart of you to make that dress a top. I love your haircut , it suits your face and is so pretty!
    thanks for linking
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks, it's the first time I've posted it on the blog. Sounds like a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you all for your sweet comments on my shorter hair after donating it! And thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...