Monday 30 January 2017

Empire Waist Maxi Dresses and Cross Body Bags | 6 Months Without Shopping Month 1

First month of the 6 months without shopping challenge completed already and I found it pretty easy for once! Didn't buy anything, despite tagging along for a trip to the outlets. Hoping I continue to do so well for the next 5 months.

I spent a lot of January catching up with friends and family and since they knew I was trying not to spend, we avoided the shops. The summer weather makes shops a less attractive option as well. The boys are keeping me busy too so I have less computer time which means less online shopping time.

Even though I'm not shopping there have been a few changes to my wardrobe since I last shared an update post in December. I got a cosy knit dress from my grandma and two scarves as belated Christmas gifts. I'm looking forward to wearing and enjoying them when autumn arrives. I also returned a couple of pieces from my December purchases as I didn't love them when I tried them on at home.



For what I've been wearing, some simple outfits with empire waist maxi dresses. I have always liked that style for maxi dresses, it accommodates pregnant belly nicely and it's wonderful post-baby when you have leftover mum-tum!

What I wore:

Gypsy 05 ombre orange maxi dress for Christmas celebrations red glitter bag | Away From Blue

Mulberry Lily in maroon metallic suede leopard matching manicure OPI polish | Away From The Blue
EarringsA Little Bit of North blue mandala earrings (giveaway prize, close up photo)
DressGypsy 05 orange ombre maxi dress
ShoesRebecca Minkoff Georgina studded gladiator sandals in blush (on sale!)
Bracelets: the usual plus vintage charm bracelet
BagMulberry Lily in maroon metallic suede leopard (get it in pink! Extra 20% off with code 'WINTER')
NailsOPI Breakfast at Tiffany collection 'I got the mean reds' and 'Sunrise...bedtime'

Why I wore it:

Wore this pretty maxi dress to attend a late Christmas celebration with family who were overseas in December. I really wanted to wear this pretty metallic and suede bag as it matched my red and silver manicure (OPI Breakfast at Tiffany collection), and I knew I wanted to wear the dress. Wasn't sure if the orange and red would work together until I remembered something Sheila said - if the colours occur together in nature you know they will look good together in an outfit. Red and orange remind me of sunsets. So pleased I wore both pieces I think they look lovely together and I really liked this outfit!

Despite it not being one of my most popular outfits on Instagram this is one of my favourite outfits, wouldn't change a thing. It's such a simple outfit too. Every time I wear this dress I think of my lovely friend who gave it to me, I always feel good when I wear it.

The earrings are a beautiful prize I won on Instagram - handmade by A Little Bit of North. Highly recommend checking them out, they are based in Canberra. I did add a teething necklace to this but was in a rush so it was still in the baby bag when I took pics that morning.


Last worn: ombre maxi dress, Mulberry red suede Lily bag, Rebecca Minkoff studded sandals.

Other ways to wearombre maxi dress and kimono, Mulberry red suede Lily bag and graphic tee, Rebecca Minkoff studded sandals and chambray.


More orange and pink empire waist maxi dresses under $50:








What I wore:

Mothers En Vogue Havana maxi dress post baby for breastfeeding mustard yellow bag | AwayFromBlue

Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold mustard yellow | AwayFromTheBlue
ShoesRebecca Minkoff Georgina studded gladiator sandals in blush (on sale!)
BagRebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

This is an old photo - from November! I'm not sure why this outfit hasn't been shared before now. I was trying to organise my photos to post and realised I hadn't used this one yet. While I take photos every day (as you can see on Instagram), I try to group them together into things that make sense for a post, like breastfeeding dresses or studded sandals and denim shorts.

It's what I wore to a playgroup Christmas picnic before the summer break. I've worn this dress with yellow before and really liked the combination so it was good to recreate it again with this mustard yellow bag. Nice and simple outfit, perfect for a picnic on a hot day and playing with the boys.


Last worn: Mothers En Vogue maxi dress, studded gladiator sandals (above), Rebecca Minkoff Micro Regan bag.

Other ways to wearMothers En Vogue maxi dress at 39 weeks pregnant, studded gladiator sandals and denim shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Micro Regan bag and printed kimono.


Linking up with Budgeting Bloggers, Mix It Monday, Monday Mode, On Trend, Turning Heads, Style Sessions, Confident Twosday, Wardrobe Wednesday, Midweek Inspo, Oh Hey Girl, WIW Wednesday, What I Wore.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

46 comments:

  1. Congrats on doing so well for the first month. You have got this!

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! The maxi dresses are all lovely!
    https://zunera-serena.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I could do six months without shopping! Making it through one month is already a huge accomplishment given how much temptation lurks around every corner!

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for making it through the first month! I love these maxis. The peach one is the prettiest shade!

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
  5. These maxi dresses look amazing on you, I wish I was tall enough to wear them!

    Camila,
    My Vogue Style | www.myvoguestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed. I don't think I could go 6 months. Glad the first month wasn't too bad. I love that ombre maxi on you. Thanks for your sweet comment about Ivy and my Insta stories. :)

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly don't think I could do 6 months! That is soooo long!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on making it through your first month!! Also, I'm so jealous that you're currently in summer. Winter up here has felt like it's lasted forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on not shopping this month, especially while going to the outlets! That takes some serious willpower! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to need to do a post at the end of the challenge saying how I managed it, as it is so difficult not to spend there!

      Delete
  10. Great to hear about a successful start to 6 months without shopping. Think I've done a little better lately even though I don't have a specific plan. I love the coloured maxis on you and I adore how the first one is darker at the bottom. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go with your shopping ban! I love that gorgeous ombre dress. It's stunning on you and the bag and sandals are perfect paired with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maxidresses! You're making me dream of summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great and that dress fits you very well!

    Edwige | http://www.hypnozglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Six months! I'd probably die haha. Very nice of your friends to support you and avoid the shops. I love the color of the dress. Very summery and beautiful. Lucky you, the earrings are pretty!

    http://www.fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Congrats on conquering month 1 with ease :) I don't know if I would be able to resist if I hit the outlet malls lol. Love both maxis! They look so breezy and comfy to wear. Plus the colors are so bright and summery!

    Mili | Sharmtoaster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outlets and all the sales are tempting places when you're trying to not spend, definitely!

      Delete
  16. Well done, and good luck with the next few months! Pretty dresses that look cute on too. Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pretty pink dress! What a stunning color on you!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing you made it a month without shopping! Good for you! Absolutely loving your blush maxi!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow 6 months is a lot of time but congrats on getting through the first month!
    Also, I really love maxi dress outfits so keep them coming! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  20. 6 months. That is an amazing goal! You're going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on making it 1 month without shopping so far. Glad to hear it was so easy. You look amazing in your maxi dresses! The colors are really beautiful and perfect for the warm weather!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca/blog

    ReplyDelete
  22. That peach colored maxi is seriously stunning on you!!! I'm in shock it wasn't one of your most popular IG posts, actually. The color is lovely with your skin tone and it has such a great flow to it. Hope the weather is great over there in AU! Your 6 month no shop is so inspiring! Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my favourite outfits of the year, just so pretty! I'm glad my friend passed it on!

      Delete
  23. I think I've seen this maxi before and totally fell in love with it. The color is just gorgeous on you! I love the purse you chose because it makes the dress and your purse pop!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mica, the color of that first dress looks so good on you! Like a Grecian Goddess :D I know that purple dress is your favorite! It always looks beautiful on you. I did a no buy of makeup for January.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. The bright colors pair together beautifully. It does make sense that if colors can work together in nature, why not otherwise?
    Congrats on not shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great advice, I never thought of it like that before! :)

      Delete
  26. Yay for a successful month of not shopping! Getting belated christmas gifts is always nice, hehe. And I love the peach ombre dress on you, the color is so pretty and delicate.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes gifts are nice any time of year! haha!

      Delete
  27. That ombré dress looks super with the red bag. I think this is my favourite outfit you've worn! Looking gorgeous Mika!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good job on a successful first month of you shopping ban! I was totally supposed to not shop (and only had a one month goal), but that was not to be.

    The maxi dresses look nice and comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the ales are just too tempting! You can always try another month :)

      Delete
  29. I love this ombre dress in peach, that's so pretty! Especially with the Mulberry, that's my favourite of these two!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look fantastic Mica in maxi dresses. Love both espcecially the peach! Fun print on your first bag and I love the mix of yellow and pink as well. 6 months would be quite a feat! I am not shoppin for 2 and it can be challenging. heeh
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. you look so beautiful especially in the first outfit! you should wear earrings more often :) great work on 6 months without shopping- I don't think I would've survived!

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wear earrings every day, just small diamond studs so they don't show in the photos. Big dangly ones like this are tricky to wear around baby!

      Delete
  32. Dear Mica congrats on the 6 months ! I have to ask if you have simultaneously been editing... is there anything you feel regret for not purchasing ? Anything you missed out on ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been letting go of as much as I should, I need to do better at it. I haven't felt I've missed out on too much shopping either so far.

      Delete
  33. Thank you all for your lovely comments, and celebrating my first successful month without shopping!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...