Monday 9 January 2017

Fitted Tanks Post Baby And The Mum-Tum (With Denim Shorts and Printed Kimono)

I have a lot of fitted tanks in different colours. I liked wearing them while pregnant but haven't been loving them as much lately. Partly because I prefer lifting tops up rather than pulling them down for breastfeeding and it's not easy to do that in something so fitted. Being honest though it's mostly because they cling so much around the tummy area.


After two babies in two years I knew my stomach would never be perfectly flat. I'm still happily rocking my bikini post-baby - despite a visiting obstetrician telling me during my last pregnancy that my stomach would be "ruined" and that I'd never go to the beach or wear a bikini again! I am proud of my belly, however lumpy it is. I love every extra wrinkle and am truly happy with my "tiger stripes".

However, with tight clothing you don't see anything other than a bump. Which I worry looks suspiciously like a baby bump from some angles. Although trivial, the awkward "nope, not pregnant" conversation just felt a little too stressful to handle! I preferred to cover my belly up in clothing and avoid giving anyone the opportunity to notice and comment. While it's easy to hide a belly in photos it's trickier in real life.

Since wearing these outfits I have had someone mistakenly congratulate me on my "pregnancy" and have had to point out that nope, I'm not pregnant, just got a mum-tum! And you know what? It wasn't as horrific an experience as I thought it would be. I just laughed it off and didn't get upset or make the person asking upset. I wasn't even wearing a fitted tank when it happened, ha! It made me realise I was worrying unnecessarily.



What I wore:

colourful summer denim shorts outfit blue and purple Somedays Lovin kimono | AwayFromBlue

silver bracelet stack Tiffany Yondale designs, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in plum | AwayFromTheBlue
SunglassesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
JacketSomedays Lovin' Yakuza print kimono
Necklace: Ruby Olive Softies Charlotte teething necklace
TankJeanswest 'Jenni' basic singlet in Hawaii blue
ShortsJeanswest printed denim shorts
ShoesRebecca Minkoff Georgina studded gladiator sandals in blush (on sale!)
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAB tote in plum (on sale in navy!)

Why I wore it:

Wore this to run a few quick errands in the afternoon. I'd planned to go out in the morning but never managed to get organised quickly enough to leave before baby's nap, so an afternoon outing it was.

I really liked the colours in this outfit! I think the blue and purple are lovely together. The multi-coloured necklace tied everything together nicely.


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer, printed kimono, blue fitted tank, printed denim shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Georgina studded sandals, plum purple mini MAB tote bag.

Other ways to wearprinted kimono and purple jeans, blue fitted tank and a baby belly, printed denim shorts and a grey tee, Rebecca Minkoff Georgina studded sandals and maxi skirtpurple mini MAB tote bag and winter layers.




Don't forget to enter my 5 year blogaversary giveaway!




What I wore:

summer shorts print mixing tank and kimono outfit OneTeaspoon Hawks | Away From Blue

Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold | Away From The Blue
Jacket: Somedays Lovin' Yakuza print kimono
Necklace: Ruby Olive Softies Charlotte teething necklace
TankGlassons striped tank in black and white
ShortsOneTeaspoon Hawks shorts in Fox black (C/O, on sale!)
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
BagRebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

Same kimono, different shorts and tank. I wasn't enjoying this outfit as much as the one above. I felt the stripes really accentuated the mum-tum and was feeling a bit self-conscious about it at the time. I also couldn't help thinking that my grey and white striped tank probably would have looked better with the grey kimono.

An okay outfit, but one of those that seem better in theory when you're planning them than they do when you wear them.


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer (above), Somedays Lovin kimono (above), striped tank, OneTeaspoon Hawks shorts, Havaianas, Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan bag.

Other ways to wearkimono and a maxi skirt, striped tank layered up for winter, OneTeaspoon Hawks shorts worn two ways, Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan bag and chambray dress.



My clothes may fit differently but it's for the most amazing reason, one that I wouldn't change for the world. My body might change further when I've stopped breastfeeding but it might not and I'm perfectly okay with that. I DO have a rounder tummy and I am extremely grateful and amazed to have two beautiful boys as a result. I need to embrace it in every situation, even if it makes people wonder if I'm pregnant. So expect to see me wearing more of these fitted tanks over the remainder of summer. Lumpy post-baby belly and all!




You can hide a baby bump in pictures, you can dress in ways that disguise any leftover baby weight. Or you can keep it real and show it all off in a bikini. Your body, your business. Remember a photo never tells the full story, never compare your behind the scenes to someone else's highlight reel! Don't feel bad about how you look post-baby, every pregnancy and post-pregnancy journey is different.


Linking up with Mix It Monday, Mums That Slay, Hello Monday, On Trend, Turning Heads, Style Sessions, Confident Twosday, Midweek Inspo, What I Wore, Oh Hey Girl, Fashion FilesFlashback Friday, The Ultimate Rabbit Hole.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

70 comments:

  1. Every time I read one of your posts, all I think about is how envy I am that it's hot there and you can wear summer clothes. I love summer and I cannot handle the cold very well, it makes me so unhappy.

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe I absolutely love how empowering this post is! I think it's beautiful that you can show off and be proud of your mommy tummy! After all you carried that beautiful being for 9 mos and birthed him and that's nothing to be ashamed about!

    Have a great week babe!

    xoxo Rina Samantha
    http://www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - definitely don't need to be ashamed!

      Delete
  3. I always love you in your kimonos!
    And so true, people need to stop paying attention to the celebrities who lose it all that day (HAH!) and know that it takes time to get back to "normal," if normal is even a thing
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! 'normal' is going to look different after every pregnancy I think! I'm sure if I had a team of personal trainers, chefs, etc I could bounce back post-baby, btu I don't and I'm not stressing over it, hehe.

      Delete
  4. Really enjoyed reading this and found it really empowering! I also find some tops awkward with still breast feeding and I love how you combo the tank and Kimono - great style

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I prefer tops that are easier or I feel more covered in for breastfeeding!

      Delete
  5. This post is so empowering! Who cares about lumpy bellies? You pushed out two babies and that's quite a feat! You go girl!

    annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com | Bloglovin' | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found it empowering :)

      Delete
  6. You look great in all photos dear!

    Xx,

    || FLOORTJELOVES ||

    www.floortjeloves.com
    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/floortjeloves-12198253

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for embracing yourself, Mica and I wish more women would speak up instead of the non stop 'hey, look at me looking so perfect two days after birth'. It's not realistic and it puts unnecessary pressure to everyone else. And you look AMAZING!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks Shireen :) Its definitely not the majority of people who can bounce back, everyone is different and we shouldn't put any more pressure on ourselves, you're right.

      Delete
  8. You look amazing!
    Great post!

    Vanessa x | www.springlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you shared your perfectly imperfect photos! You look fabulous. :) I love the comfy summer outfits too!

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much beauty in imperfection! :)

      Delete
  10. I am with you on the fitted tanks post baby just clinging to the bump. I think you look amazing and good for you for rocking the bikini!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy to see you are not ashamed of your post-baby body, and you shouldn't be - you brought two beings into this world with it. Also, who are these people that would congratulate someone on a pregnancy if they didn't know for certain? I would be mortified as the congratulator!
    http://www.iamchiconthecheap.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes some people just get over excited at the thought of babies I think! No harm done, I was scared I'd get upset when it happened but it was an honest mistake and easy to laugh off :)

      Delete
  12. You created life... twice! I can't believe that an obstetrician of all people would tell you what you could or couldn't wear! That's so insane to me. I think you look fantastic in a bikini anyway.
    I also admire the way you handle questions about your"baby bump." I was upset last weekend over something someone said regarding my relationship status and while I didn't say anything to upset them, I was secretly quite hurt. Learning to laugh things off should be something I work on this year haha.
    Love your outfits, as usual. I always love your kimono outfits! :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it takes a while to become comfortable with something to the point you can laugh it off, I'm not sure if someone had said anything to me earlier if I'd have handled it the same way, haha! So sorry to hear you were hurt :(

      And I think he was trying to convey the importance of what he was saying - my smiles and laughter wasn't he reaction he was expecting when he said my stomach was being "ruined". I think he worried I wasn't paying attention!

      Delete
  13. Yay! Love this and you look fab in your bikini. Two babies in two years? I'm on number one and need to know how you look so fresh! #mumsthatslay

    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! When you have 2 they can entertain each other and give you time to brush your teeth/hair and feel put together!

      Delete
  14. The color combination of the first outfit is really nice! Good on you for having such a healthy body image after having two kids. Being a mum is a badge of honor and you look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A round of high fives for you...rock the body.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe what that obstetrician said to you! What nerve! Mica, I love your attitude! You delivered two beautiful boys and you are the best mom. As regards to tops, wear what is beneficial to you & your babies (breastfeeding).
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of an odd thing for him to say but I think he was worried I wasn't taking him seriously. I just really couldn't care what my belly looks like post-baby, haha!

      Delete
  17. That printed kimono is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you look great, lady! Your perspective is so on point: "My clothes may fit differently but it's for the most amazing reason, one that I wouldn't change for the world". Also, loving that printed kimono!

    Kathryn • simplykk.com

    Kathryn • simplykk.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a little more time between babies, but still my tummy is not and probably will never be completely flat. And my boobs, which used to be very firm and perky, are definitely showing pregnancy weight gain and loss as well as breastfeeding. But just like you, I would not want it any other way. Not if the price would be not having my kids. Sometimes I get angry at my husband, who has two amazing kids without any changes to his body, but then I think: He never carried them inside, never felt them kick him at night. I would never want to miss that experience. Although I may turn to plastic surgery one day if I grow really unhappy, who knows. But rigt now I am embracing the journey.


    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's great we can make changes if we are unhappy! But like you I'm embracing what I have at the moment and the journey it's taken to get me here. You're right, I'd never want to miss the experience!

      Delete
  20. I love that you keep it real girl! And can I say for having two babies in two years you look amazing! And, you rock a kimono better than anyone I know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, you look fabulous post babeis! I am loving these two outfits - so perfect and breezy for summertime!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look terrific! Love your sandals in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's incredibly inspiring that you're proud and showing the real you! So many women feel ashamed after something that's so natural and beautiful (and that a LOT of women go through). Kudos to keeping things real and being radiant while doing so!

    xo
    N
    Style Tomes ||ST on IG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nataliya - definitely not something to be ashamed about! :)

      Delete
  24. Well I think you look great! I'm rocking the mum-tum for sure over here, and I'm still not comfortable in fitted tops. They're still a little too fitted for me, but maybe eventually I'll get there :) Love both of these looks and I actually love the 2nd look the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it takes a while to get there - no need to rush it, flowy tops work wonders until you decide you're ready to try a different silhouette! :)

      Delete
  25. I love seeing you so proud of your mum tum. I definitely need to just get over it. I did get some high-waisted two-pieces that I feel somewhat comfy in out and about. That's a huge step for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you look amazing in your two-pieces! :) Everyone is different, so wear and do what makes you feel comfortable and confident :) More important than anything is how you feel, but sometimes it's nice to see things being celebrated :)

      Delete
  26. I aaaabsolutely love the Rebecca Minkoff bag!!
    you're looking stunning!

    I'll read through the rest of your posts now!

    have a wonderful evening & maybe you'd like to stop by my blog too!
    ❥ Vicky | The Golden Bun - Instagram TGB-

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love that you love and appreciate your body! It's done something miraculous twice! I think you look fabulous no matter what you wear!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You look fabulous with your mum tum! Love the bikini and the tank top, also love purple and turquoise combo, and love the bag with the pom pom charm!
    Real life, it is good!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post, Mica! I tend to steer away from any fitted tops as my mum tum is still very much in existence nearly 4 years later and there's only so much you can suck in, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I'm hoping one day I'll be able to suck it in, right now it's still too soft and squishy for that! Flowy tops are wonderful, no rush to jump into fitted ones before you want to!

      Delete
  30. I really like your purple rebecca minkoff you're right those two colors look great together. You look great in your bikini two!!!
    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
  31. You barely have any belly! You look fabulous!
    I also like the fitted tanks on you. The first one is bright and fun, while the second is timeless and chic. Who knew a kimono could be so versatile as well?

    ReplyDelete
  32. I seriously cannot believe a doctor told you that.... They need smacked. You look fantastic! I have never been a bikini person. Even before kiddos, I always felt naked. lol More power to you that you still rock one two little boys later! Though I don't wear a bikini, I felt great in my suit last year. Better than I ever had before. I think there's a powerful feeling in having a mom body and once you can wear that with pride, it shows. This is such an inspiring post to other mamas who haven't quite found it yet. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I think he was just trying to make me understand what he meant by "ruined". Wasn't that I didn't understand, just that I didn't care, ha!
      So true - no matter what you look like or wear, the important thing is that you should be happy and proud. And sometimes you just have to celebrate it so others don't feel so alone :)

      Delete
  33. When its so cold here I always seeing your cheerful summer looks Mica.
    I especially love what you wrote in that last paragraph about each post partum story being different and loving your post baby body because it is for a amazing reason. I can totally relate. My body was different after each of my pregnancies, and even the time it took my body to bounce back has been different each time as well. Enjoying this wonderful time, and never comparing is such great advice. XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elif. It's so true we should never compare, although easier said than done sometimes!

      Delete
  34. The heck with the obstetrician! ( was it a guy) Yes, wear that bikini cause you feel and look great in it. You look amazing as I love the bright colors you are wearing. When I need some sunshine I can count on your posts. Love seeing the little furbear too!
    jess xx
    Thanks for linking with Turning heads tuesday!
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes it was a guy! Poor thing was confused when I laughed at his "ruined stomach" remark and wanted to convey the "gravity" of my stomach. Just really doesn't bother me!

      Delete
  35. Mica
    Thank you as always for your outfit posts and ideas that people like me can try and incorporate into our own personal style.

    Thanks also for being so genuine and frank and brave about sharing your body image journey. It's so true that comparing stuff like this is pointless.

    Also think you always look fabulous!! Beauty is as much about who we are as people and how we treat others as it is about the external and I think you've got it all!!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words SSG! <3

      I'm glad I give you some ideas and I think you're so right, beauty is not all just external!

      Delete
  36. You look great! You shouldn't hide your body because of what it's done....give two babies a home for 9 months each. You look happy and lovely!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look great as always. I'm only seeing a pretty flat stomach there - but I know what you mean about photos. The magic of a great pose! Good on you for taking that comment in your stride.

    ReplyDelete
  38. How rude of that obstetrician and I do wish people would learn that they should never assume pregnancy until explicitly told! I think you look fantastic, but regardless, looks are such an insignificant thing in comparison to all the rest of life. It all goes to pot for all of us one day anyway, so you may as well enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can be too excited and quick with their congratulations sometimes! I like the way you think - we best just enjoy the time and the health we have! :)

      Delete
  39. A baby lived in there! That's awesome! All power to you getting out there and not missing out on cooling off. I think about all the times when I was younger when I didn't do things because I didn't want to get around in my togs. Crazy!! Now, two kids down I will happily get out there is my bikini because otherwise I'm missing out. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - that's it exactly Karin! :) I'm not going to miss out just because my stomach looks different! :)

      Delete
  40. You look fab in your bikini and your tank (cannot see that mum belly that you speak of!) I watched the "Embrace" movie today? Have you seen it? The film and your post have the same message - embrace your body and love who you are. High five to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sammie! I'm going to have to check out that movie, I haven't seen it! :)

      Delete
  41. You look great. You may have diastasis recti. That's what I have after birthing three kids in 4 years. Basically my abs split with each pregnancy and now my innards and guts spill through my six-finger-width gap! But like you, I wouldn't change it for the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 3 in 4 years is impressive! Good on you! :)

      I do have diastasis recti :) I don't think it's as wide as 6 fingers although they couldn't tell exactly in hospital as there was all that extra skin getting in the way, hehe. I'm supposed to see a physio for follow up to see if it's healing more with the exercise they gave me but haven't made the appointment yet, been so caught up with baby boy's health.

      Delete
  42. Thank you all for your lovely and encouraging comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...