Monday 17 July 2017

Wearing Maxi Dresses In Winter With Scarves, Ankle Boots and Cardigans

My maxi dresses aren't packed away to wait for the warmer weather, I try to wear as much of my wardrobe year-round as possible. Adding a cosy scarf, cardigan and ankle boots makes them appropriate for a cooler day.

I did wear these outfits at the start of winter, when a thin cardi was all that was needed against the cold. If you follow me on Instagram you'll see I've upgraded to cosier jackets now it's the middle of winter.

What I wore:

tropical coral floral maxi dress in winter: yellow scarf, cardigan, ankle boots, LV speedy | AwayFromBlue

floral maxi dress, Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: Paper Scissors grey wrap cardigan
ScarfLove Quotes knotted tassel linen scarf in sunshine yellow
Dress: Kmart Tropicana sleeveless tiered maxi dress
ShoesAsos leather Chelsea boots in tan
BagLouis Vuitton Damier Ebene 30 speedy bandouliere
Nail PolishOPI Russian Navy

Why I wore it:

Wore this for a playdate at an indoor playground with the boys. It was a little tricky trying to split my time between the big kids area with toddler T and the baby area with Baby Boy, but they had a great time and there was even a few moments where I could sit down and chat with the other mums and enjoy my hot chocolate.


This dress is one I loved over summer so I'm eager to make it work in winter too. It was a little chilly when the wind picked up in this, as each tier has a little crochet detail the wind went right through. I think I'll try leggings underneath next time I wear it. Seeing this outfit and writing this post has given me another outfit idea to try with this dress as well. There is a benefit to being so behind with blogging, ha!

It's not the first time I've worn yellow accessories with this dress but since I liked the combination so much last time I tried it, decided to try it again with this yellow scarf. Worked well to keep my neck and chest covered and cosy too. A much brighter winter outfit that I'd normally wear, but one I loved.


Last worn: grey cardigan, Love Quotes scarf, floral print maxi dress, Chelsea ankle boots, Louis Vuitton Speedy Bandouliere.

Other ways to weargrey cardigan and flares, Love Quotes scarf and red dress, floral print maxi dress and mint accessories, Chelsea ankle boots and chambray dress, Louis Vuitton Speedy Bandouliere and colourful jeans.

Perfect for pregnancy: yellow scarf and shift dress in second trimester, ankle boots and second trimester bump, speedy bandouliere and maternity shorts.



More Floral Maxi Dresses Under $50:









What I wore:

purple cardigan, ankle boots, pashmina and feather print maxi dress in winter | Away From Blue

feather print maxi, Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC | Away From The Blue
JacketJeanswest Peggie kimono cardigan in purple mulberry marle
ScarfNali feather print pashmina scarf
DressJayJays feather print maxi dress
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC (on sale, 20% off!)
Nail PolishOPI Russian Navy

Why I wore it:

Another maxi skirt, cosy cardi and scarf combo. Just like the maxi skirt above, the low neckline isn't the best for winter so I bundled up with another cosy blanket scarf to keep my chest and neck warm. I thought I was being quite clever wearing the feather print scarf and dress together, but even with the Instagram close up you can't see the print on the scarf very well.

The darker print on this dress makes it perfect for winter so it was good to get it out again and layer it up in the cooler weather. The dress is more blue than purple but I still think the purple cardigan goes nicely with it.


Although previously I've worn this dress for a wedding, this time around it was just a casual outfit to go to playgroup. I really do think maxi dresses work for so many different events - I've never felt out of place wearing a maxi dress, in any season.


Last worn: purple cardigan, feather print pashmina, feather print maxi dress, ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC.

Other ways to wearpurple cardigan and graphic tee, feather print pashmina and office wear, feather print maxi dress in spring, skinny jeans and ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC and denim shorts.

Perfect for pregnancy: purple cardi and hidden first trimester bump, feather print maxi dress in second trimester, ankle boots and dress in second trimester, mini MAC worn as a clutch in third trimester.



More Feather Print Maxi Dresses Under $50:








How You Can Wear It:


Layering is one of the best things about winter. It keeps you cosy and allows you to wear clothes that you'd ordinarily set aside until the warm weather returns. Both of these maxi dresses are perfect summer pieces but with a scarf, cosy cardi and ankle boots they work perfectly in the cooler winter weather.

Don't leave your favourite summer pieces unworn, find the right layers you need to make them work year-round. Leather jackets and maxi dresses are another good winter weather outfit option!

Linking up with The Style File, Confident Twosday, Turning Heads, Fashion Frenzy, Style on the Daily, Thursday Fashion Files, Modest Monday.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

50 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of layering all year round as I get cold very easily even in the summer. And isn't it sometimes like you have to cut yourself in two halves when at the playground with two kids? It gets easier now though as they start to play together more.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun seeing them playing together! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the se maxi dresses especially the first one and I love the pop of yellow from the scarf.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yellow scarf in your first outfit. Yellow brightens up the gloomiest winter day! I love the second dress with the purple cardigan. Gorgeous colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both looks are beautiful Mica! I love to pair maxi dresses with scarves and boots in winter, but as soon as the temperature drops, I usually wear leggings and only leggings haha!! Have a lovely Monday xx

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wearing maxi dresses year round. I love the way you styled yours!

    Andrea
    Andrea’s Wellness Notes

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I always associate maxi dresses with Summer but as you point out, they are perfectly suitable for winter with a few adjustments! Your feather print dress is absolutely gorgeous, such stunning colours!

    www.musingsandmore.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mica, that is a great way to layer and wear them year round. Looks great.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you are making your maxi dresses work for the winter - sometimes they can be a great solution with that extra length, but like you mentioned, often they have details built in for lots of air flow, great in the summer but not so much in the winter!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  9. You layered these perfectly for the cooler months. It's amazing how changing up your accessories will allow you to use your wardrobe seasonally. That's one of the reasons I love dresses so much.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you are ROCKING those maxi dresses! I haven't been bold enough to try one yet but will definitely add these to my list for when I do muster up the courage!

    xx Pia
    http://gymbagsandjetlags.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's definitely great to wear traditionally summer pieces in Winter! If I had maxi's I would definitely take advantage of them all year too!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the red floral dress! I didn't realize the pretty crochet details so I'm glad you pointed that out!

    Thanks so much for linking up, babe!
    --Roxanne
    http://glassofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mica!I love how you accessorized both looks so cute and stylishly! Great way to reframe your summer pieces. Thank you as always for the inspiration!

    Tiff
    Http://www.dashoffashandfinance

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love the idea of making the dress work for the occasion and maximise cpw. A dress that can be worn to a wedding and then to the playground is genius and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Maxi dresses are perfect for that - never look over or under dressed! :)

      Delete
  15. You can wear maxi dresses at anytime, they're not just for Summer. Scarves are a great way to warm them up.

    Laura xo
    www.shehearts.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such lovely looks and perfect for summer! You look great!

    xx Auna | http://simplyauna.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do tend to skew more to dark colours in the winter - the second outfit is a winner for me! Lovely! If only I could wear just layered summer dresses in winter here - not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's summer where I am but this post really reminds me that I shouldn't pack away my maxi dresses just because it's winter. You are so good at really maximizing your wardrobe! Love both looks, but I especially love the print of that first maxi dress!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that second scarf so much! Looks warm and cozy. I remember those days of two kiddos not being able to play at the same playground. We had to take turns....now that they're older the little one can keep up with her big sissie! Definitely makes it easier for me!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it gets easier as they get older! :)

      Delete
  20. Love the added brightness from the colors and flowers with these dresses! It's great that you can wear them in winter and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pretty pattern of your maxi dresses and the scarf and booties are perfect with them! I don't often wear my maxi dresses in the winter so thanks for the inspiration! Hope you are having a great week so far!
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the yellow scarf so much!

    www.modernflourish.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohh I just bought a maxidress for the 1st time so I'm super excited for this

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how you added scarves to your maxi outfits. They really elevate these looks!

    Tina
    www.justatinabit.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love a maxi dress, but never really worn one in the winter months, maybe because of the wet weather we normally have here! Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's such gorgeous dresses - I love how you dressed them up with scarves.

    www.pink-purpledots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so happy I stumbled across this post - I want to get a maxi dress as part of my capsule wardrobe, but I wasn't sure if it would work in all seasons - now I see that I can layer it up, just need to find the perfect one for my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love maxi dresses ! you looks so pretty in those! You have such a great style adding some great accessories! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love to see you wear your things all year long, Mica!!
    These outfits are great!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the outfits and you make it work! That maxidress is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Both looks are lovely! Love your style!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I never thought about maxi during winter. I love the cardigan and scarf together. Very comfy....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the scarfs with the different styles. This is the perfect way to transform an outfit. Love your bags as well :)
    http://www.bauchlefashion.com/2017/07/a-sun-kissed-guide-to-summer-style.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous dresses. Love how you layered them. Thanks for joining in on the Style File Link up today!

    -Karen
    http://LadyinViolet.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the maxis, the colors are gorgeous, and I love that you bundled up with a simple scarf and cardigan . Your bag adds such a nice, rich element too. Very chic !
    Xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that you're able to transition your summer maxi dresses for winter! Love the pop of color that the scarf adds too!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is a great idea to extend the life of your maxi dress. So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love seeing you style maxi dresses for cooler weather. I was just thinking about how I could transition my maxi dresses (which I have been living in lately) to fall. Adding a cardigan, scarves, and booties are great ideas! I really like the idea of wearing leggings for those cooler days underneath too. This is wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I liked the yellow scarf so much. It went so well with your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love this! It would work well here in Florida as well, where we get sudden cold snaps and generally cool weather through the winter months. I'll take any chance I can get to wear a scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love layering, it is a clever device that helps you to make your summer wardrobe work in cooler months. I have a similar looking yellow scarf and like to wearing it for a colour pop
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  42. love the colors! I always find wearing a maxi dress so comfy
    irene
    www.thedailylace.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great pop of yellow with the pretty pink maxi and I love the purple on you with the second outfit! I have several maxis and I hope to transition them to winter.
    Thanks for linking
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love the idea of Maxi Dresses in the fall and winter! You look so cute! Thanks for joining the linkup and Happy Monday!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you all for your lovely comments - glad I could give you some inspiration and outfit ideas for wearing maxi dresses outside of summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...