Monday 25 June 2018

Accessorising Bags & Winter Office Wear With Printed Skirts

Embracing winter weather and getting my fleecy tights and my knits out for some colourful office outfits. I'm glad I have a business casual dress code at work that lets me be a little more creative with what I wear.

Both these outfits follow the same outfit formula, and despite the different colour schemes in each, I kept the same fun accessory on my bag. The silk 'scarf' tied in a bow on the Regan handle is actually a belt from the skirt in the first photo.

What I wore:

blue green adn yellow colourful winter business casual office outfit scarf on bag | awayfromblue

matching silk skirt and scarf tied in bow on Rebecca Minkoff Regan bag | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram green gold navy blue outfit winter colourful office wear accessorising bag
JacketJeanswest Monica Mac coat in Indigo
NecklaceStarfish Project Hannah turquoise bead necklace
Top: Valleygirl blue knit jumper
SkirtFrench Connection silk leaf print skirt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs black logo plaque ballet flats
BagRebecca Minkoff Regan Satchel Tote in moon

Why I wore it:

This skirt is silk, so it's quite light, but with a pair of fleece lined tights it was perfect for a cold morning. I wasn't sure what to do with the silk belt that comes with this skirt at first, then I realised I could just use it to accessorise my bag! (Video showing more ways you can accessorise your bags below.)

After trying it in pregnancy, I've been embracing green and blue together a lot more so I thought that this cobalt marle knit would work nicely with the green and yellow in this skirt. I wasn't too sure about the combo after first trying it on, but grabbing this green beaded necklace really tied it together for me and I loved this outfit combo. It did feel a bit matchy matchy, blue knit, coat and bag, with green skirt, bow on bag and necklace, but I do like a little matchy matchy!


Last worn: navy macintosh, blue marle knit, silk skirt, Marc Jacobs ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff Regan bag.

Other ways to wearnavy macintosh and wrap dress, blue marle knit with magenta bag, silk skirt and teal henley, Marc Jacobs ballet flats and printed shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Regan bag and navy top.

Perfect for pregnancyblue marle knit in first trimester, silk skirt in second trimester.


Six Easy Ways To Accessorise Your Bags:







What I wore:

trench coat monochrome mustard outfit thin knit jumper pleated printed skirt navy bag | away from blue

Rebecca Minkoff Regan satchel moon navy with silk scarf tied as bow on handle | away from the blue

awayfromtheblue instagram | trench coat monochrome mustard outfit with navy regan bag
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
Necklace: Kmart Gold and Navy beaded necklace (recent purchase)
Top: thrifted SES fashions mustard marle knit jumper (recent purchase)
Skirt: Garfunkle Australia pleated print skirt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in silver)
BagRebecca Minkoff Regan Satchel Tote in moon

Why I wore it:

As I usually do, copying the outfit formula I enjoyed so much from the first outfit to create this second one. I kept things a little more monochromatic this time around, with all of the yellow. I debated changing out the silk bow on the Regan bag but I think the yellow in the leaf print worked nicely with the yellow in this skirt.

Just like the outfit above, this marle knit is a thrift find too, only $1! It's actually a really orange-y thread with a few flecks of gold metallic, but with the marle it looks mustard - and if you've read my blog before you'll probably know I've been loving everything mustard. I smiled when I saw this, as I had just been admiring an email from Jeanswest with their new yellow heavy knit collection before I stopped by the opshop. Perfect thing to find! The sleeves are a bit long for my petite self, but at the moment I'm just rolling them up before I can get to the tailor.

The necklace is another new piece - $3 in the Kmart sale! I like statement necklaces like this, and I felt the green and blue went with the yellow in my outfit nicely.


Last worn: trench coat, pleated a-line skirt, Walnut Melbourne flats, Rebecca Minkoff Regan satchel (above). First time I've worn the mustard knit as it's a recent opshop find.

Other ways to wearcamel trench coat and burgundy pants, pleated a-line skirt and navy tank, Walnut Melbourne flats and shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Regan satchel and wrap dress.

Perfect for pregnancy: trench coat in first trimester, pleated a-line skirt in second trimester, Walnut Melbourne flats and wrap dress.


Marle Knits Under $50:




How You Can Wear It:


While thin open knits like these jumpers might be a spring or autumn staple in other parts of the world, they are perfect for Brisbane winters. A cosy knit isn't just a weekend option, you can easily dress them up a little for a business casual office with a pretty skirt. A statement necklace makes the look a little more formal as well, or you could always add heels, a blazer, and swap to a pencil skirt to dress it up even more.


Linking up with Turning Heads, Trend Spin, Confident Twosday, Fashion Friday.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

80 comments:

  1. Everything looks amazing! Wonderful photos!

    https://elenabienvenido.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so nice outfit- I like so much your pattern skirt- so original xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looks.
    I love printed skirts too.
    Your first necklace is lovely.

    Ann
    http://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such cute looks! I really like your bag, it's so pretty! :-)

    https://barbiegirl06.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scarf/belt looks lovely on your bag! I'm always looking for new ways to do similar things with mine, so your video was super helpful :) Have a great week!
    http://www.lambassadrice.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marta, I'm so glad I could give you some helpful ideas! :)

      Delete
  6. You look great darling!

    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cutie love your first look so much!

    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: PERFECT DAYS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are really cute outfits! While I love dark colors I am drawn to the lighter colored sweater and coat a bit more! Love what you did with the skirt belt - that's so creative and it looks great on your handbag! Wishing you a fantastic week ahead! Happy Monday!

    Maureen | www.littlemisscasual.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! It was a last minute decision but I love it!

      Delete
  9. I like wearing my knits to work, just put a blazer on top and you are fine.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blazers work perfectly over so many things!

      Delete
  10. Hi Mica! I love the idea of a printed skirt and cute accessories. The scarf was a fun and creative idea! I love when I can maximize my wardrobe and re purpose my clothing items! Great deal on your knits. It compliments the outfit well!

    I pray everyone is in good health now. It's extremely hot so I plan to get a game or two of tennis in before the heat wave:) Have a great week pretty lady!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiff, we are all feeling much better! Hope you had a fun tennis game! :)

      Delete
  11. Such cute outfits! I love the colour combo in the second one! Printed skirts can make such a statement.

    KHVDIJA | http://www.khvdija.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both lovely work outfits, Mica:) I am digging both the printed skirts, but gosh...so want your Barkins trench coat. Very cool:)
    Hope you're having a lovely Monday so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a great sale buy, I've had it a few years! :)

      Delete
  13. I love how you used the self belt as a scarf on the purse, Mica!!
    And silk skirts are great with tights because they don't seem to cling as much!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both outfit are chic. I love your skirt. The scarf details on the bag compliment the whole look. Such a noce outfit.

    X Marlia
    www.marliafransiska.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute outfits and love that handbag!
    ~Samantha
    http://goldcoastgirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both of these skirts are so pretty! And I love it when I can copy an outfit formula! Saves so much time and mental effort.
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's such an easy way to simplify things!

      Delete
  17. I wish we had winters like you here in the states, haha! Seriously though. I mean, I love the snow once or twice, mostly around the holidays. After that, I need the sun and milder temps. I love your outfit, the black opaque tights look so good with the skirt in both outfits. Thanks for sharing and have a great week ahead, girl!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes, we are lucky it doesn't snow in winter here!

      Delete
  18. How nice that you thought of using a belt from a dress as a scarf. I do love that first outfit. I think the fact that this dress is silk makes it dressier...and it makes the belt look like a fancy silk scarf. Great thinking! Trench coat, a knit and a silk skirt is a great outfit formula. I need to take notes.

    The second outfit is also beautiful, I think I even prefer this colour scheme. I'm a big fan of all shades of yellow, and mustard is always a great choice. I feel like there is something a bit neutral about mustard but at the time it is also noticeable, it's like a sophisticated shade if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivana! It was a last minute idea but I love the way it looks! :) Mustard is definitely my favourite shade of yellow!

      Delete
  19. Such cute Winter looks! I love the scarf tied on the bag!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fleece tight and legging are the best. I don't know how I would survive the winter months without them. I hope you have an awesome week and that everyone is feeling better.

    We have a busy week this week with furniture getting delivered.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fleecy tights are a winter essential! :)

      Delete
  21. Having go to outfit formulas is such a foolproof way to get dressed effortlessly and efficiently. Both of these outfits look chic and professional. Have a great week Mica!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you used your belt with your bag! So cute! Both of your skirts are just darling too. :)

    ~Lindsey
    https://have-clothes-will-travel.com/1st-time-styling-overalls-for-summer/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both outfits are great. You have done both very well. I love both but second one is close to my heart. I love your printed skirt and top. <3
    Have a great day <3
    With Love
    http://www.rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love both the looks. The printed skirt make the outfits look so fun and awesome!
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. You did such an amazing job accessorizing! SO pretty, love!
    Happy Monday, babe!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the French Connection skirt, it's so cute. I think I have a similar print but in a dress, it's almost the same floral print. Hope you are having a lovely start of the week Mica!! x

    Yiota
    https://pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful print, it would look great in a dress!

      Delete
  27. Love the printed skirts. Glad to hear that you are over your first winter bug.
    LaToya
    www.toyastales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Answering the question here http://myeverydaywear.blogspot.com/2018/06/best-find-2018.html
    I paid just 27.00 USD for the bag !
    Oh and the use of the belt on the bag is genius. Nicely done Mica.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the neutrals in the second outfit! I bet the fleece lined tights are nice and warm.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So warm! Definitely a winter must-have for me.

      Delete
  30. I don't think I've ever owned a silk skirt before, but I love the color and print of yours. How clever to use the belt as a tie for your bag!!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out so great for a last minute idea! :)

      Delete
  31. You look awesome in blue girl! Great accessorizing!

    xx, mel
    http://melinspired.com/living-room-transformation-part-3-final-reveal/

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wearable bag, I really like the scarf tied round it!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely outfits! I love green and blue together!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The scarf/belt on the bag is a great idea. I don't think anyone can go too matchy, so I'm in for all the colours working together. I'm not 100% with the cobalt blue in the first outfit (since there's no cobalt) in the skirt pattern, and it feels a little jarring to me, but that's just ME.

    I'm totally grooving on mustard as well - I'm constantly on the hunt for the perfect mustard top (blouse, cardi, sweater). Happy week to you, Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I loved the contrast with the cobalt.

      Delete
  35. Olá, tudo bom?

    O look ficou adorável! Amei os acessórios e estampa de sua saia.

    Um beijo,

    My Pure Style x My Instagram x My Facebook 

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the colour on that bag, so pretty :D
    With love,
    xx

    Patricia & Miguel
    www.freeoversea.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the colours and prints in both of these outfits, Mica! Both of the skirts are so pretty and how you've styled them looks great. I love that you used the belt from the first skirt as a scarf to accessorise your bag. It looks great with both skirts. I love a bit of matchy-matchy too! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sasha! Matchy-matchy is so fun!

      Delete
  38. Your printed skirts are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm definitely in fleecy tights and skirts or dresses all winter long here. (It keeps me warmer than most outfits I can think of with pants, at least for work.) I think I commented on this at some point a while ago, but the Regan satchel is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's such a cosy option for the commute!

      Delete
  40. I love the scarf on bag look - I really need to do it more often! Love the second look best I think, but two fab looks! xx Maria

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Mica
    I like printed skirts, but I prefer the second look, I like the colors more, I'm not a big fan of the blue ... I liked the idea of putting the belt in the bag gave a touch of originality to the look. Winter coming to Australia and we here to receive the summer that is very embarrassed the weather has been a crap ohhhh

    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your summer weather improves soon!

      Delete
  42. So many great finds in this post! I do love the silk belt tied around your bag, what a great idea!

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
  43. How fun are those skirts! You reminded me how much I love printed skirts. It's been awhile since I've purchased one. I love that you wore fleece tights with them. A great way to enjoy wearing them throughout the year!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to get more wear from pieces year round!

      Delete
  44. Love both of these printed skirts! That's such a great styling trick with the belt on the bag.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Both of these skirts are so cute and I love the necklaces as well!

    http://whatmakesmesmileblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a great idea to use the skirt belt as a bag accessory! The first look is so versatile and could work for warmer weather - what a fun print!

    ReplyDelete
  47. A good printed skirt just gives an outfit some serious life! I love this styling trick!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  48. Your layered looks are so cute! I hardly wore any skirts last winter - it was just so cold!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  49. Knowing this skirt is made of silk I just love it! I'm sure it's very light and I love the airy look!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love how silk flows - it's always so pretty, and this skirt is so cute on you:)

    Laura
    Black Coffee Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  51. Yes having the silk knits with the heavier knits is great for casual but professional look and the pints on both of these skirts are quite lovely. And you have a great bag as usual.

    Allie of ALLIENYC
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love green and blue too.
    The outfits are pretty chic.

    Much Love,
    Jane | The Bandwagon Chic

    ReplyDelete
  53. Mica, that skirt is really cute! I like how you put the matching scarf on your bag too, what a great idea!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  54. Both outfits looks really cute dear. Loving the scarf on your bag.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  55. How creative to use the sash from your skirt to accessorize your bag, I love that! Both of these looks really show how the right pieces can make things that you would normally associate with one season work for multiple seasons. I love how you made those skirts work for cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shea! I like making summer pieces last a little longer!

      Delete
  56. THank you all for your lovely comments - glad I could give you some new ways to accessorise your bags! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...