Friday 11 August 2017

Winter Maxi Skirts, Knits and Red Saddle Bag

I love my maxi skirts, even in winter. An easy way to make them winter-appropriate is by adding a cosy knit jumper. My bright handbags are another thing I wear often in winter too, I don't think you need to reserve brighter bags for summer wear.

What I wore:

monochrome blue maxi skirt knit winter outfit with red accessories saddle bag | Away From Blue

blue knit and chambray with red Rebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag | Away From The Blue
Jumper: Valleygirl blue knit jumper
SkirtNoisy May long denim maxi skirt
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in white
BagRebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red (on sale in blue!)

Why I wore it:

I decided to wear this knit because as I said in my previous post, I'm trying to wear through more of my winter things before the cold weather disappears. I thought this jumper would look nice in a monochrome outfit with my chambray maxi skirt.

It was a very cold day when I wore this to playgroup though. As we'd have to be outside, I added a few extra layers. A long sleeve top under my jumper, and some leggings under my maxi skirt. The chambray isn't the thickest material to keep me cosy in winter, but the leggings underneath worked perfectly for our time spent at the playground outside.

I've worn red and blue together before and liked the combo, so the red skull scarf and saddle bag seemed like a nice touch with all of the blue.


Last worn: cobalt marle knit, red skull scarf, chambray maxi skirt, white Converse, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag.

Other ways to wearcobalt marle knit and pencil skirt, red skull scarf and striped dress, chambray maxi skirt in summer, Converse and printed dress, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag and printed kimono.

Perfect for pregnancy: red skull scarf in second trimester, Converse and maternity denim shorts.


Colourful Knits Under $50:








What I wore:

Wildfox Couture rainbow dreamer Lennon distressed knit, striped maxi skirt | AwayFromBlue

striped skirt, Rebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red | AwayFromTheBlue
JumperWildfox Couture rainbow dreamer Lennon distressed knit (from my bestie's wardrobe)
Skirt: Target black and white striped maxi skirt
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in black
Bracelets: the usual
BagRebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red (on sale in pink!)

Why I wore it:

First time I wore this knit I didn't manage to get a blog photo, although I did share a pic on my insta stories. My friend very generously let me have this Wildfox Couture jumper when she had a wardrobe clearout last year. It took a while for the weather to be cool enough to wear it again.

It's a very comfy knit, and it's got a lot of distressing on it. So much so that when I shared it on Insta stories people asked if Cooper had gotten to it, ha! The first time around I found that the rips were a little inconvenient with a toddler, he kept grabbing at them.

This time around I rolled up the sleeves and tucked the jumper in a little to keep the distressing out of the way, and found it a lot more kid-friendly. I wore this to work from home and do the daycare drop off/pickup so it limited the amount of time the boys could tug on it too 😂

Will try pick a fairly kid free day for the next time I wear this jumper too. It's too cosy and pretty to leave in a box until next winter when the boys are bigger and less grabby.


Last worn: striped maxi skirt, Converse, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag (above). First time I've worn this rainbow knit on the blog.

Other ways to wearstriped maxi skirt worn 30 ways, Converse and printed shirt dress, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag and denim shorts.

Perfect for pregnancy: stripe maxi skirt and graphic tee in third trimester, Converse for a weekend away in second trimester.



Maxi Skirts Under $50:










How You Can Wear It:


Maxi skirts can be layered up and worn year round. You can add a colourful and cosy knit to be weather appropriate. If it's a really cold day or you plan on being outside a lot, you can add hidden layers with a long sleeve tee or even leggings underneath. I'm wearing Converse in these outfits but ankle boots are another option to keep your feet cosy.

Make these outfits work for breastfeeding by layering a breastfeeding singlet under and just lifting the jumper to feed.


Linking up with Friday Faves, Friday Favourites, Passion for Fashion, Shoe & Tell, Mix It Monday, On Monday We Link Up, Hello Monday, Modest Monday, Mummy Monday.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

43 comments:

  1. I do love blue and red together - it just looks so good. Nice to link up Mica, have a great weekend Hun. x Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of maxi skirts! The second one is so cute! I like how you styled it with that sweater <3

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rainbow sweater and the blue and red look! Very pretty!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice outfits, love the rainbow top 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this red saddle bag is matched to another red accessory, such a lovely way of carrying the colour through your outfit :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do like playing matchy-matchy with my accessories! :)

      Delete
  6. I always love how you make maxi skirts work in all weather. Both looks are really fun--that sweater is really pretty! I can see how little grabby hands would want to pull on it though. I feel like I definitely have clothes that I don't wear as much with the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I know it won't be forever, but it's sad some pieces aren't that kid-friendly!

      Delete
  7. I like the first look... the second one I am not too sold on. I really like the rainbow sweater though, it has a vintage feel you know i love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looks. That bag really looks great! Have a nice weekend.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first outfit is my favourite; the second one just doesn't appeal to me (I'm not usually a fan of distressed sweaters). But that red and blue combo - perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I have a maxi skirt I've been wearing this summer and now I'm thinking of ways to transition it into the fall..so thanks again for the inspiration. I agree bright handbags are definitely season to season items! Pray you have a wonderful weekend!

    Tiff
    Http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty Mica! Love the red bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pops from the bag and scarf. I'm a fan of maxi skirts as well even though I haven't worn one lately. Both very lovely looks!

    http://www.fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. That red bag is soooo adorable. Love the stud details on it <3
    xo, Eda
    http://luxeandlinen.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! I've been meaning to add a maxi skirt to my wardrobe. I don't have one and am feeling the hole needs to be filled. I am LOVING that Wildfox sweater, it's so fab!

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the outfit! Maxi skirts are so good for winter! x

    TOUCHOFGS // BLOGLOVIN 

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your tip about wearing leggings underneath your maxi skirts to make them work in colder weather. It gets very cold where I live so my maxi dresses only get worn during summer. I could really make them work with leggings though! Thanks for sharing that! I love the red and blue combination in the top photo! And tucking your sweater in the bottom outfit was smart thinking so it doesn't get tugged on by your boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some ideas! :) They really are much cosier with leggings :)

      Delete
  17. very comfy and cute style choices <3 the colors look good together :)

    http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you combine blue and red into one style. it look gorgeous :)

    have a nice day!

    http://www.luchluchcraft.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello,

    Beautiful bag !

    Sarah, https://sarahmodeeee.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oddly enough I always find myself reaching for my red handbag far more in the winter than in the summer! Perhaps in my mind I just associate red with winter? Regardless, it's a gorgeous bag no matter what season you carry it.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same, I think it's because it looks so good with neutrals which I tend to wear a lot of for easy layering when it's cold :)

      Delete
  21. Oh I love that red saddle bag! Such a great idea to wear leggings underneath maxis! Great little tip there!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  22. I usually don't think about wearing sweaters with maxi skirts like this. I love the idea. You look so cute in both outfits and the second sweater is really fun.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, maxi skirts are great year round. I love the sweater with the top one.

    xoxo...Beth
    www.settlingsouthern.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This bag is adorable! I love the color pop! You look so adorable!

    xoxo,
    Vanessa
    www.whatwouldvwear.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't own one maxi skirt but looking at these two outfits I'm thinking I need at least one! That red bag is gorgeous! I want it!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love these two maxis! I'm all for maxis, they make my life so happy! I could definitely get that white on black maxi, that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm not a big maxi skirt lover, they feel frumpy on me. You make it looks so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhhh that red purse is so pretty, Mica!!! You look so cozy and chic in this look!

    Sarah
    Trendy & Tidy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love red and blue together, that scarf is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm all about wearing my maxi all year round! Love it with a denim shirt or jacket too! I've never worn it with a sweater, you're making me think about what I could get out of my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those jumpers look great with your maxi skirts Mica! Very nice of her! Wildfox is expensive.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. You never go wrong with a maxi skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am really short so avoid maxi skirts and dresses as they are too long :( looks great on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm petite too! I had to have the chambray one massively shortened! But the striped one is supposed to be a shorter ankle length so it's perfect for me! :)

      Delete
  34. Love love the red bag...it's calling out my name

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you all for your kind comments - glad I could give some maxi skirt inspiration to some of you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...