Monday 7 May 2018

Blue Dresses and Black Accessories: Mimco Button Bag and Rebecca Minkoff Velvet Double Wrap Belt

Last month I picked up the cute Rebecca Minkoff Liv double wrap belt in the Shopbop sale. A complete impulse buy, I was just looking for something a little different to update my wardrobe as I am feeling pretty content with all the clothes I have. And I looked at accessories as the weather wasn't cooperating with all the dreams I had for buying cosy knits, it was a very warm start to autumn!

I wore the belt to the office two slightly different ways, with the same bag each time. My Mimco black button bag is a classic most Australians would recognise, and my very first 'expensive' (triple digit) handbag purchase.

What I wore:

black velvet belt over pink vest blue aztec print dress mimco button bag office outfit | awayfromblue

JORD Cora Wood Watch with Mimco Black monochrome button bag original size | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram velvet belt pink vest blue aztec print dress for office
JacketJeanswest Peri drape sleeveless jacket (on sale!)
Necklace: gifted Swarovski heart pendant
DressJeanswest Aztec print dress
BeltRebecca Minkoff Liv double wrap velvet belt (new purchase)
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs black logo plaque ballet flats
BagMimco black button bag
NailsOPI Koala Bear-y

Why I wore it:

With the cooler mornings and evenings, and a bit of rain, I was excited autumn may finally be arriving in Brisbane. I did want to get more wear from this vest before it got too cold though. I find vests better suited for warmer weather. When it's cold, I want my arms covered. If was the perfect day to wear this vest though. Cool, but not too cold. When I first bought this vest, I thought of belting it. I see bloggers belting vests all the time, so that's probably what gave me the idea. This is it's tenth wear though, and the first time I've belted it!

I really liked this outfit! The dusty pink of the vest worked perfectly with the blue Aztec print in the dress, with the black belt matching the black in the dress print as well as the Mimco button bag and black ballet flats. I'm surprised it took me so long to belt this vest as I love the look. I'm glad I eventually gave it a go! The outfit was practical too - had the flu shot at work in preparation for the upcoming winter and needed my arms uncovered.


Last worn: pink vest, Aztec print dress, black ballet flats, Mimco black button bag. First time I've worn the velvet double wrap belt as it's a new purchase.

Other ways to wearpink vest and graphic tee, Aztec print dress and purple bag, black ballet flats and wrap dress, Mimco black button bag and pencil skirt.

Perfect for pregnancyAztec print dress in third trimester.



Review and Contents of the Mimco Button Bag (original version)







What I wore:

office french connection paisley print sheath dress black accessories and mimco button bag | away from blue

paisley print dress and mimco black button bag original on shoulder | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram | black accessories and button bag with blue paisley print office sheath dress
NecklaceHouse of Harlow 5 station necklace in black and silver
DressFrench Connection blue Paisley print dress
BeltRebecca Minkoff Liv double wrap velvet belt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats (also available in silver)
Bracelets: the usual plus Cora purpleheart and mother of pearl watch C/O JORD
BagMimco black button bag
NailsOPI Koala Bear-y

Why I wore it:

I didn't like this outfit as much as the one above. The blue Paisley print of this dress is beautiful, but I felt the black accessories didn't look as good as they could have with it. I was really liking the outfit until I went to pick a black necklace. I don't have many, and this was the best one I could find. The velvet belt has gold hardware and this necklace has really prominent silver. I felt a little mismatched all day. I don't mind mixing gold and silver in bracelet stacks or when layering necklaces together, it just felt a little 'off' having the different metals on different accessories.

Just a minor thing, but next time I'd spend the time to hunt out a gold necklace and I'm sure I'd like the outfit better!


Last worn: Paisley print sheath dress, Walnut Melbourne flats, Mimco Button Bag (above).

Other ways to wearPaisley print sheath dress and tote bag, Walnut Melbourne flats and printed skirt, Mimco Button Bag and monochrome outfit.

Perfect for pregnancyPaisley print sheath dress in second trimester, Walnut Melbourne flats and maternity skirt.



More Velvet Belts Under $50:





How You Can Wear It:

A really easy way to change up the look of your favourite dress is to add a belt. It doesn't require buying anything new, as you probably already have a couple belts you could try it with. In these photos above I matched the black belt with black accessories, but you could also add a belt that contrasts with your outfit and other accessories for a pop of colour.



Linking up with Turning Heads, Fashion Frenzy, Style On The Daily, Oh Hey Girl, Modest Monday.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

55 comments:

  1. This black botton bag looks so pretty and spacious and perfect with your blue print dress.

    Nina's Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the contrast of the coral against the blue in the first outfit - and I can see how the vest would look great both belted and not, it's a really nice piece!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful vest, I really should wear it more often! :)

      Delete
  3. I think it's a wonderful addition to the outfits. Even though you didn't like the second one as much, I think it adds a nice and different look. I always forget to add a belt like this, and it's a great detail!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A belt is a nice touch to change up an outfit. I need to remember to add them too.

      Delete
  4. You have such a great selection of dresses (and bags, of course!). I like the second outfit and think the black bag gives it a more professional vibe. But I understand that feeling of things not quite coming together the way we think/want in our head!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's annoying when the outfit you have in your head never turns out as you imagined!

      Delete
  5. Such a cute dress!
    ~Samantha
    http://goldcoastgirlblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look gorgeous! I just love that bag. The buttons on the bag make it look so unique! I hope you are having a wonderful week.
    http://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thanks, the bag is such a common sight here! The button has become the brand's signature! :)

      Delete
  7. Such a cute look. I'm loving the print of your dress!

    xox Kirsten // http://kirstenwendlandt.com/must-see-the-canadian-opera-companys-anna-bolena/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you belted the vest in that first look--it really changes up the look of the vest, which normally has such a flowy, feminine feel. The belt is the perfect thing to toughen up both looks a little. I can see what you mean about the mixed metals in the second look, but to me I still like how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shea :) I didn't think it was too bad, but I definitely would have prefered a different necklace!

      Delete
  9. Belts are really nice accessories to add to an outfit Mica. I've added to my belt collection.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The belt is so cute. I love Rebecca Minkoff's cool and edgy designs.
    LaToya
    www.toyastales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The coral vest is really pretty, and I'm sure you could always layer it over a long sleeve shirt or dress when it gets cooler.
    https://www.iamchiconthecheap.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give that a try, thank you! :)

      Delete
  12. I actually like the second outfit better, I guess I am just not a fan of vests. But well done for getting your flu shot!

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely an essential here - I had the flu in summer, at the start of the year, and it was terrible - anything to protect the little ones!

      Delete
  13. Both of these looks are fabulous! I especially love how you styled the first outfit. And how beautiful is your bag! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun bag, I should wear it more!

      Delete
  14. Love your button bag ! So cool and original! I also love your new double wrap belt, so chic and versatile! Great styling, especially love the peach sleeveless vest !
    Hope your week is going well!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Elle
    https://theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thanks! It's super common here in AUstralia, the button is a detail the brand uses often!

      Delete
  15. Okay I love the first look. The belt is perfect with the vest!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the big buttons on that bag :)

    xx Alyssa | STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
  17. The jacket and dress combo in the first outfit is very fun! I also like the print of the second dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay I absolutely adore the double wrap velvet belt! What a perfect design and so flattering too; I can imagine you could pair that with a multitude of different outfits! :)

    aglassofice.com x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really will go with so much, I'm looking forward to wearing it more often!

      Delete
  19. I have to say, I'm very impressed how you manage to style one bag so many different ways! Now that, is true talent. It shows you have an eye and can see things multiple ways and not be limited to one thing!

    www.beingisabella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I find bags easy to do that with as you just add them to whatever you're wearing :)

      Delete
  20. Belts are so much fun to add to an outfit. I hope you had a wonderful weekend. My was spent grocery shopping for the week.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do the bulk of grocery shopping on the weekend too :)

      Delete
  21. I love these two styles so much. That dress is beautiful colour. And I love that bag. For some reason, besides the outside of a bag I love the interior as well. I just feel like it sets a bag off in a good way. Hope your having a fabulous week x
    http://www.bauchlefashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's such a gorgeous belt, Mica! It looks great the way you've styled it in both outfits. It looks fab with the Mimco bag too. Very versatile and stylish! Hope you had a relaxing long weekend. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh very cute the first dress
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking gorgeous doll! Thank you so much for sharing xx

    http://www.thatnewdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I ABSOLUTELY love the Mimco bug button bag, its such a fun piece yet classic.
    The double belt is also a superb piece and I am looking forward to seeing you wear it on your natural waistline-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena - it's designed to be worn high waisted, not enough material for me to wear it around my hips!

      Delete
  26. I've never seen this bag before! I love the blue dress with it though, so pretty! Happy Tuesday, Mica!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a unique bag! I've actually never seen one like that before. I love the outfits you've worn with it. Thanks for sharing, girl, and I hope you have a great rest of the week!

    XO,


    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thank you! They are a pretty common sight here in Australia, it's a popular brand!

      Delete
  28. I love the way the belt changes the fit and look of the dress! It's such a wonderful way to change things up! I'm loving that shade of pink paired with blue! I hope you are having a great week! We've been enjoying the warm weather and spending time outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a belt can really change up an outfit! :)

      Delete
  29. You have an amazing collection of bags, totally digging this button bag, it's just so cute and unique in design! Love your outfit looks you created to go with this bag! The first one is my fave though!
    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!
    xx
    Ankita | Real Girl Talks
    http://realgirltalks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love that French Connection dress on you, Mica! How cold does it get during winter in Australia?

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in Brisbane it doesn't snow or anything, nothing like your winters, haha!

      Delete
  31. Love both looks but especially that French Connection dress is lovely on you!

    x,
    S | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a cute casual look dear. I love the sleeveless jacket, such a chic color on you!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great idea to wrap your belt around both the dress and the vest! It really looks chic!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so excited to wear my belts again! Although they actually don't fit right now... post-partum belly :P

    Ah Mimco! I've always ever had hand me down Mimco, but I did buy a crossbody from Vinnies the other week for $7, bargain! The brand always reminds me of my early 20s :D

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes it takes a while before you're back in your normal wardrobe - took 9 months to grow out of it!

      Mimco will always be that brand for me too - what a lucky score at the op shop!

      Delete
  35. Thanks all for your lovely and thoughtful comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Mica!
    Happy Mother's Day!
    I do like your blue paisley dress, the print is pretty on you! I especially love the contrast of the coral vest with your blue dress!
    Hope you had a great day!
    Thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...