Wednesday 8 March 2017

Button Up Shirts and Denim Shorts

Happy International Women's Day! If you were able to, I hope you supported #DayWithoutAWoman in some way.

Onto my regular outfit post. While I really liked the way both of these outfits looked, I didn't enjoy wearing them so much. Shorts and a long sleeved top is a combination I really like wearing, and button up (or button down) shirts are perfect for breastfeeding. A Queensland summer heatwave is probably not a good time to wear such warm pieces though! Poor judgement on my part!

What I wore:

Jeanswest 'Ruby' mixed print shirt, denim short shorts, red saddle bag | Away From Blue

Rebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red  | Away From The Blue
ShortsJeanswest denim cuff shorts
ShoesRebecca Minkoff Georgina studded gladiator sandals in blush (on sale!)
BagRebecca Minkoff unlined saddle bag in cherry red (on sale in pink!)

Why I wore it:

I deliberately picked out this warmer top to wear on a hot day as the morning was spent with appointments and more tests for baby boy. Needed something I could easily breastfeed in that would keep me warm in the freezing aircon. It was a good idea to cope with all the airconditioned buildings we were in, but it was so insanely hot getting out the car to walk into a building that I was regretting my outfit choice a little! I also forgot to add a teething necklace on the way out the door.

It's not the first time I've worn this printed shirt this red bag, I really like the pop of colour it gives. Despite overheating a little when I stepped outside in this, I really did love this outfit and I'm keeping it in mind for whenever the cooler autumn weather decides to arrive.


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer, mixed print shirt, denim shorts, Rebecca Minkoff gladiator sandals, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag.

Other ways to wearmixed print shirt layered for the office, denim shorts and print mixing, 30 ways to wear Rebecca Minkoff gladiator sandals, Rebecca Minkoff saddle bag in winter.


Printed Button Up Shirts Under $50:







What I wore:

navy textured shirt and denim Bermuda Jeanswest shorts monochrome outfit | AwayFromBlue

Balenciaga giant hardware Day bag in 2009 tempete | AwayFromTheBlue
SunglassesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
Necklace: Ruby Olive Softies Ava elephant pendant teething necklace
TopJeanswest Tory textured shirt (on sale!)
ShortsJeanswest Trinity Bermuda denim shorts (on sale!)
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
BagBalenciaga giant hardware Day bag in 2009 tempete

Why I wore it:

You can see how old these pics are as Cooper's still all fluffy! 😂 I liked this shirt worn untucked with shorts here better than I did when I wore it last time tucked in. While it was a warm day I was eager to wear this shirt again. When the power cut at home and there wasn't any more aircon I was again regretting my decision to wear such a warm top on such a hot day. Luckily we didn't spend much time at home as we were going to stay down the cost with my parents for a few days. They had fully functional air conditioning thankfully, just what you need for a heatwave.


As it's the second time I've worn this shirt, my purchase review:

I bought this shirt back in the Jeanswest sale in November, but didn't get to wear it much over December with baby boy's hospital stay. I figured it would be one of those pieces I could wear for both office wear and SAHM life. It really hasn't been worn often though.

I do think it's a nice shirt, and I'm glad I bought it, but it really won't get worn much until the weather cools off. I did order a trench coat in that Cyber Monday sale that I've kept and still haven't worn though, so managing to wear this shirt twice isn't too bad! I am looking forward to wearing this again, when it's not so hot.


Last worn:Ray-Ban Wayfarer (above), navy textured shirt, Bermuda denim shorts, Havaianas, Balenciaga tempete day bag.

Other ways to wearnavy textured shirt tucked in, Bermuda denim shorts and embroidered tank, Balenciaga tempete day bag and printed dress.




Blue Button Down Shirts Under $50:









Button up shirts don't have to be reserved for office wear. They look great worn casually with denim and work nicely with denim shorts - if the weather's right!


Linking up with What I Wore, Fashion Files, Fabulous Friday, Weekend Wear, Flashback Fashion, Friday Faves, The Ultimate Rabbit Hole.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

65 comments:

  1. It is rarely so hot here that a shirt like this would be too much, but I can imagine that the aircon vs heatwave scenario makes dressing difficult. In Germany that usually means that I throw on a cardigan for being indoors.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I usually have a cardigan in my bag for the office aircon! :)

      Delete
  2. Button up shirts and denim shorts paired with cute flats or heels used to be my uniform. That is what I would always wear whenever I go out of the house. And I agree with your last statement that button up shirts should not be restricted to the office. They can look cute casually too! :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl
    YouTube
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Women's Day, I am hopeful we can come together to deliver a message that is full of empowerment and highlighting issues facing women. Love the post, have a lovely day.

    xo,
    I AM YASMIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a good day to highlight the issues when it seems more people are paying attention!

      Delete
  4. Oh heat is making us insane here too Mica ! in fact we've had several days without a/c (damaged) and had to leave work early as it was unbearable.
    BTW I too have cartoon character pjs, usually HK too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you work without the AC. Would be impossible for me!

      Delete
  5. I hate when air conditioning and the outside temps are so different it makes dressing really hard. I think the longer sleeved tops and shorts look really good on you! I hope baby boy is doing well. Did you do a post with a full update on what is going on somewhere that I missed?

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes going between such different temperatures is tricky! Hope my comment on your post helped share a little more about what we are going through :)

      Delete
  6. Love the print mixing in that first look!!
    Sadly I have to work today, but I'm not going to be buying anything or doing anything else like that
    www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good you could still support the movement! :)

      Delete
  7. Such cute looks!! That red bag is amazing!

    Annessa
    www.seekingsunshine.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denim shorts are always a great idea! I can't wait until it gets warmer here so I can wear mine!
    xo
    Siffat
    http://icingandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy women's day to you too! Loving your first outfit, the shirt and that bag are so pretty!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute tops!

    http://www.myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was all about button down tops when I was nursing. Cute outfit!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the outfits! so casual and so nice :)

    she-loves-clothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy IWD! I'm wearing red to support my sisters, and happy to see you with your red bag. I will send you some cold if you send us some heat - bargain?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to see the shorts vs. pants ratio in your closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, more pants than shorts! I share more in my wardrobe inventory post :)

      Delete
  15. I love your gladiator sandals! Such awesome comfy outfits! =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the top in your first outfit. Dressing for the heatwave and airconditioned buildings at the same time can be quite confusing.

    www.jeannieinabottleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy IWD! I actually didn't know about a day without women strike! I learned something new.

    yes, shorts and long sleeved tops or shirts is a combo I like a lot too...but as far as I remember, I only wore it for summer evenings. I imagine that it must have made you feel rather hot with that heatwave and all. Right now, it is still not very warm here, but I know that in Summer I sometimes get a cold because of the temperature difference between air conditioned rooms and the outside- where it can get pretty hot. It is hard to dress for two climates. Some places really take it too far with their freezing air-conditioning ways....but you look lovely in both outfits!

    How did the tests and check outs go? Is baby boy doing alright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - glad I could share more about the strike for you! :) Baby Boy is doing better, thanks.

      Delete
  18. Loveee the bag! Gorgeous :D

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amazing post, dear! Looks wonderful :)
    Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the look of long sleeves with shorts but if it's super-hot, it can definitely be uncomfortable! I love that red saddle bag!

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I always find a pretty Rebecca Minkoff bag every time I visit your blog and this red saddle bag didn't disappoint, it's really cute.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Currently covering for another wonderful woman at work while she is out on medical leave, so I was unable to join in on the basis of the movement. I did however, wear one of my favorite mommy graphic tees to work, though "dressed it up" a bit. It felt great and a lot of people asked about the shirt. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey, glad you could still get behind it! :)

      Delete
  23. I love the print and style of your top in the first look! I hate dressing for extreme temperatures--if it's hot outside it's always super cold inside, or vice versa. Thank goodness for layers I guess :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, layers are what I should have done!

      Delete
  24. Really love this outfit!! The bag is so cute. I really love the details :)

    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: PFW STREET STYLE BEST OUTFITS II

    ReplyDelete
  25. It doesn't get quite as hot here as it does near you, so I love lightweight longsleeve tops with shorts for chilly AC! It's a great solution for summer days when you are in and out of AC. Love the way your grey top looks with your red bag!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love both of these looks! Casual and chic! Your red bag is beautiful!!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Both outfits are really cute, I love the look of button up shirts paired with shorts, it helps to dress up the shorts a bit so effortlessly. I really love the sandals in the first outfit especially, they're so stylish and remind me of the Valentino rock studs; I need to get these! Thanks for sharing and I hope you're having a great week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are much more affordable than Rockstuds too!

      Delete
  28. Such a pretty grey blouse
    -Kate
    http://www.katekoutures.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. very nice looks! and happy past International women's day!
    I like your bags here a lot, both look very girly and seeing it alongside shorts taking the whole outfit to different lvl. very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Blouses like this are ideal for having in your wardrobe come transitional seasons! I love your bight red cross body bag, by the way - so lovely!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are perfect for cooler weather!

      Delete
  31. I just love that elephant necklace. But hot is hot. Lesson learned here too. LauriePOP Ideas That POP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still so hot! ANd thanks, it's a teething necklace :)

      Delete
  32. I have serious bag envy everytime I look at your blog posts. That Balenciaga would match everything and that red saddle bag is the perfect pop of color! I hope you're having an amazing week so far!

    xoxo
    Rina
    http://www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Both super cute looks, I can't wait for warmer temps here so I can finally start wearing my spring clothes!
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. These outfits look so comfy and easy to wear. I love the first top. Looks a little boho-ish :) I've heard you're having some serious heat down there. Hope you stay cool!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we made it through the heatwaves!

      Delete
  35. Wow...Mica...You look so beautiful babe as always!..I love ur both the looks....I love ur red handbag, its so stylishly cool :)!Kisses, Neha

    http://www.theinstylejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love both outfits, I love to wear shirts with shorts in spring and a plain t-shirt. The red bag is a dream :)

    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Its always so hard to dress in the summer when you will be in and out with air conditioning blasting. Love the look of long sleeve tops with shorts! Both of these are so cute!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's such a cute feeding necklace. Thanks for linking up with the Ultimate Rabbit Hole xox

    ReplyDelete
  39. You sure can rock a button up shirt. I don't know how you do those Queensland summers, especially without air con. I take my hat off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I didn't buy a thing! Aren't you proud of me? LOL I love both tops with your denim shorts. They look great.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. I hate having to dress for sweltering heat outside and freezing air conditioning inside, which is basically impossible. I really like the pattern of the first shirt, and is there a subtle pattern in the second shirt too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more of a texture than a pattern - I really need to try get a better picture next time I wear it!

      Delete
  42. Both of your outfits are really cute! When it gets hot here in Ohio I'll have to check out your blog for inspiration!
    Sara
    http://www.theperfectstormbffs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks all for your lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...