Monday 31 October 2016

Two Ways to Wear: Navy Printed Kimono

October is 'Buy Nothing New Month' and although I blew that challenge when I shopped the latest Shopbop sale, it did make me head to the opshop (thrift store) first when I felt like getting another kimono. Now it's spring I've started to wear mine again and thought another would be a good addition to my wardrobe. I managed to pick up this pretty navy one below in the first store I looked in, so it was meant to be!

What I wore:

spring denim shorts print mixing outfit striped tank navy floral kimono | Away From Blue

Rebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC unclipped | Away From The Blue
SunniesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
Jacket: thrifted Edited floral and bird print kimono
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
TopJeanswest 'Josie' striped back strap tank
ShortsJeanswest denim cuff shorts
ShoesAsos 'five star' leather sandals
Bracelets: the usual plus Cora purpleheart and mother of pearl watch C/O JORD
BagRebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

Suddenly summer temperatures arrived in Brisbane and it was a good reason to get my shorts collection out again! It's been a long time since I last wore these, as I was pregnant last spring/summer. Couldn't resist a little bit of print mixing with the striped tank, and although the print on this kimono doesn't have any pink in it I thought the neon bag was nice with the navy.

The style challenge for the day was "reward yourself" so wearing my new-to-me purchase seemed fitting. I'd managed to get a rare amount of time to search through a couple of local opshops which was rewarding enough, but really wanted to have a productive trip. The great thing about kimonos is that you can pretty much ignore the size on the label. I was glad when I found this one, even though it's not my size, as it just looks oversized like a regular kimono.


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer, striped tank, denim shorts, rose quartz leather sandals, hot pink mini MAC. First time I've worn the kimono as it's a new purchase.

Other ways to wearstriped tank and leopard print, denim shorts and strawberry shirt, rose quartz leather sandals and a maxi dress, hot pink mini MAC and winter layers


Navy Kimonos Under $50:







What I wore:

spring colourful kimono and teething necklace black and grey jeans outfit | AwayFromBlue

tiffany bracelet stack, Cora JORD wood watch, Rebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: thrifted Edited floral and bird print kimono
Necklace: Ruby Olive Softies Charlotte teething necklace
TeeAtmos&Here rolled sleeve oversize tee in black (also in grey)
JeansSass and Bide pale grey skinny jeans
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
Bracelets: the usual plus Cora purpleheart and mother of pearl watch C/O JORD
BagRebecca Minkoff metallic silver mini MAC (on sale in metallic pink!)

Why I wore it:

After a couple days of more spring-like weather I decided to wear my jeans again. I realised this was a mistake when we got to playgroup though - it was such a hot day, really wish I'd gone with shorts! I did like the colourful kimono and teething necklace against the black and grey. The outfit was just a little too warm to sit outside with the boys comfortably. I changed as soon as we got back home.

The style challenge for the day was delicate - but I couldn't think of anything delicate to wear that would stand up to a morning at playgroup with an energetic bunch of toddlers and a drooly, grabby baby!


Two years ago I decided to look more critically at things I was adding to my wardrobe. After I've worn something twice I do a purchase review. It helps me identify when I'm buying the right things or the wrong things and will hopefully stop me accumulating items in my wardrobe that sit there with tags on months later. It's worked well so far, with the odd exception.

My purchase review of this kimono:
I know I didn't need another kimono. I already have two other blue ones, and a grey one with a similar floral and bird print. However I know from last spring/summer and our heatwave plagued autumn that kimonos are one of the pieces I wear consistently in the warmer weather, so I'm confident this will get used a lot. It was just $7 so I'm certain to get my money's worth. It's sure to be worn a lot.


Last worn: navy kimono (above), black tee, grey jeans, Havaianas, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC.

Other ways to wearnavy kimono (above), black tee and a maxi skirt, grey jeans and a trench coat, Rebecca Minkoff silver mini MAC and ombre dress.



Linking up with Turning Heads, Trend Spin, Style Sessions, Wardrobe Wednesday, Midweek Inspo, Fresh Fashion, Oh Hey Girl.




Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

59 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT KIMONO!! Such pretty colors and it looks great paired with the bright accessories. :) For $7 it was totally worth it!!

    Erica
    www.pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for thrifty finds! It's always the best feeling when you walk into a thrift store with something you want in mind and end up leaving with it! (: This looks great on you! I love the transition between the two looks with the casual, and more work ready, second photo. Last summer, I wore a lot of my kimonos to work. To my surprise, they are super easy to dress up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! Kimonos are such great pieces :)

      Delete
  3. I love the print of that kimono!! I love when I'm actually able to find a piece I'm looking for. Normally when I look for something specific it's the one thing I can't find, haha
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really pretty piece! I don't see that many kimonos here in the thrift shops, but I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jealous of you entering the summer months! Love your looks.

    Mary
    www.marymurnane.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm jealous of your shorts! I love fall clothes but I know I'm going to miss shorts so very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the kimono is perfect and well worth the investment. Especially if there are certain types of clothes you just know you'll wear a lot, it's definitely going to be worth the purchase. Especially for 7 whole dollars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will definitely get my money's worth! :)

      Delete
  8. Very pretty always. I absolutely love the bags! Have a wonderful week!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buy nothing month - I like the sound of that and should try it. That kimono top sure was meant to be. Looks beautiful on you.

    http://fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy nothing sounds good, but it's "buy nothing new" hehe! :)

      Delete
  10. I am seriously impressed by your kimono collection - you always seem to manage to find them in the most amazing prints! Love the way you styled them in both outfits!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to get a little collection, haha!

      Delete
  11. Pretty Kimono, love the double duty with shorts and pants. Jealous of your weather ;)
    Happy Halloween!
    xo Annie,
    New England Romance

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe time to head to the thrift store! :) Love your print kimono and how you've styled it Mica

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Visit my YouTube channel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely adore the way the neon pink bag looks against the navy, I think that was a great call to add it to the look! The kimono is so pretty and definitely one that can be versatile and plus it's blue, which looks SO good on you! Thanks for sharing, beauty, and I hope you have a great week ahead!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wearing shorts? So jealous!
    I love the kimono!
    Dora www.BangsBang.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really love that kimono! And I love the two ways you styled it.
    You're so lucky to be experiencing warmer weather. The weather isn't to bad where I live yet but It's only going to get colder and we are suppose to get A LOT of snow this winter apparently. Not looking forward to that.

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it doesn't get too cold for you! It's spring here in Australia.

      Delete
  16. I really need to spend some time going through the thrift stores because I've read about so many great finds like you with this kimono. My problem is I rarely have the patience to go through racks of clothing.

    Reflection of Sanity | b·liv Skincare Set Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are the kimono queen! I love this one and with as much as you wear your others no doubt it will prove to be a good purchase. Both looks are fun but I especially like the print mix in the first look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving how you were able to transition the kimono for weekend wear with the shorts and for a more dressy look with the beige pants! So versatile!

    xoxo Rina
    http://www.andshedressed.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well at $7 it sure is a steal and something not to feel too guilty about. Especially since this is something you already know you're going to get much wear from. The temps were on the warmer side down here too, thankfully it hasn't lasted too long and we're back to 14 degree weather! Boom!

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's a big drop! Hopefully you're getting more regular spring temps now :)

      Delete
  20. The pink bag is just glorious, I love how it added a lovely pop of colour. Have a lovely day ;)

    tipscapsule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your style and always enjoy your looks. This kimono is cute and your dog just makes me meltttt! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.. :-) Have a lovely day! Visit me whenever you have time www.its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk kisses Dominica! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cute kimono! Aren't they perfect for warm weather? They add such a nice cool layer.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the kimono and both ways you styled it. The stripes are a great way to print mix, especially with that fun pink bag!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the navy kimono both ways- kimonos are a fave of mine right now!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have an amazing collection of bags, Mica. Love this cardigan on you. xx
    Nina
    Nina's Style Blog Giveaway __ Enter to win $100

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love kimonos! And that pop of pink with the bag. = )

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love kimonos, I was obsessed with kimonos 2 years ago and I purchased a ridiculous amount! I love how versatile they are and you can wear them with everything!!!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm buying a ridiculous amount too! haha! I wear them a lot though so it seems to be a good purchase...

      Delete
  28. I bet it gets hot in Australia Mica! Shorts will be your salvation through the heat. The kimono looks great with both outfits and how awesome is your RM bag. That pink looks great against you! :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow I can never find cute kimonos in the thrift store; how lucky! At only $7, it's such a steal and you'll definitely get your money's worth ;)

    Sam | My Beauty Cloud

    ReplyDelete
  30. The kimono is so pretty and love how you styled it both ways.

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. An excellent and thrifty purchase. Jealous of your warm weather. Still very much jeans appropes here today.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your styles!

    http://chicglamstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Shorts are my favorite thing to style a kimono with. It especially works well when they are a bit too short at the back and provides extra coverage. The first look of yours is definitely my favorite. Hope you had a great weekend!

    http://www.thebeautybeau.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes longer kimonos are perfect for that! :)

      Delete
  34. That pink bag is so eye catching. I could never pull it off myself, but you make it work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So envious of you wearing shorts! Both look cute, love the kimono - it brings both outfits alive! Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have to make a note, like real paper and pen to get my kimonos out of the closet.
    I see you wear them and wear them SO well... they dress any outfit !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'd love to see you in your kimonos! :)

      Delete
  37. That kimono was meant to be because the colors and florals on it are gorgeous and you found for a steal at the opshop. You are so good at thrifting, Mica. =)

    Welcome by tonight or tomorrow night and linkup with my Thursday Moda linkup. Thanks.

    Happy Hump Day! <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got lucky finding it I think, doesn't happen often! :)

      Delete
  38. I love thrifted finds! This is a great one! You totally will get use out of it!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great idea on the purchase review! Thanks for joining Wardrobe Wednesday at Kimba Likes

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the kimono, great find. I think it is smart to evaluate what you buy and what is needed in the closet. Love the bright bag against your outfit. Perfect for playdate!
    thanks for linking up with turning heads tuesday
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you all for your kind comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...