Monday 29 June 2015

June Dress Week: Corporate Style - Polka Dots and Floral Print - Monthly Purchases

Sharing my June purchases and the final two outfits for the June Dress Week Style challenge, two work outfits. I enjoyed playing along with Kiki during this challenge, but I do think it was extremely challenging for me wearing so many dresses in winter. It definitely pushed me out of my comfort zone though, which is a nice benefit from a style challenge.

June Purchases:





With all of these purchases this month it's easy to see why I've decided to do a #noBuyJuly15 challenge! I definitely don't need to be adding any more to my wardrobe. I still have completely unworn items from my May purchases, as well as things I bought and have only worn once! I didn't hit my goals of wearing things twice in a month after buying them...because of this I returned all of the tops from my Jeanswest order. I think I need a bit of space to wear and use what I own instead of buying more in July and compounding the problem.


What I wore:

corporate style: navy shirt dress worn as top with grey jersey pencil skirt winter

Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy
ScarfAlexander McQueen magenta skull scarf in roses print
DressAtmos&Here Polly navy polka dot shirt dress
SkirtAtmos&Here grey marle jersey pencil skirt (same in navy or in black)
ShoesWittner 'Bloomy' black heels
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale!)


Why I wore it:

The style challenge for the day was 'shirt dresses or wrap dresses' so I wanted to wear my newest shirt dress purchase. Wearing a dress as a top isn't a new thing for me (I've done it here and here before) but I actually really hated it this time! I don't know if it was the lack of a belt or just the mix of the materials with the dress, tights and skirt. It didn't stay in place and I kept tugging at it all day. The jersey pencil skirt wasn't very forgiving when the dress bunched up underneath it either.

I like the idea behind this outfit and all the pieces, but not how it all worked together. If I was to try this again I'd wear a different skirt, add a belt and pull the dress down. I think part of the problem was that I tried to let the dress drape a little over the top of the skirt to disguise that I didn't add a belt. See how Kiki had a better outfit for the challenge here.


Last wornmetallic jacket, roses skull scarf, polka dot shirt dress, grey marle pencil skirt, ankle strap heels, Rebecca Minkoff navy MAB tote.

Other ways to wear: metallic blazer with a sequin tank, skull scarf with spring dresses, polka dot shirt dress with Converse, grey marle pencil skirt with Converse in spring, ankle strap heels and bare legs, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote with printed pieces for work.









What I wore:

Purple and black layered winter office outfit foggy Brisbane day

Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote bag in moon navy for office
Jacket: Temt black trench coat 
ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs print scarf in croc-print
Cardigan: Jeanswest Peggie long sleeve line kimono in purple mulberry marle (new purchase)
DressJeanswest floral wrap dress
TankJeanswest Jenni basic singlet in Royal Lilac purple
ShoesAsos Aggie leather western ankle boots in black
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale!)


Why I wore it:

This was what I wore for the 'Floral Friday' challenge. I did think of wearing this wrap dress for the previous day's challenge, but as it was one of the few floral print dresses I own I wanted to save it for this day instead. I've worn it a few times in the blog, during pregnancy and post-baby too. I've never worn it layered up quite so much, even pre blog I kept it as mainly a warm-weather dress. Was good to try something different and wear it in winter. See how Kiki wore the floral Friday theme on her blog.

I really liked this outfit to wear, but I think the photo shows how rushed I was that morning - everything was kind of thrown on and I didn't even have time to try straighten anything out before I took the photo. Taking daily outfit photos will never be more than something I quickly do before I go out each day, I'm not trying to and never will be perfectly posed and styled. I figured a rushed photo was better than nothing, as I was doing the style challenge I felt I had to get a picture. Still pretty pleased I managed get ready and take photos and get to work on time though, I was really running late that morning.

Leaving My Wardrobe: Asos Aggie Black Ankle Boots


This is the last wearing of these ankle boots too. The heel just limits the amount of time I can wear them, and I've already bought a pair of flat ones to replace these as shown in the video. They were comfortable and did well in my wardrobe, I just need things that are a little more suited to life with baby. From the first wear to now, I've worn them 36 times. Not bad for a sale buy 3 years ago!





Last worn: trench coatcroc print scarfpurple tankfloral wrap dress, black ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote (above). First time I've worn the cardigan as it is a new purchase.

Other ways to wear: black trench coat with a different printed wrap dressprinted scarf with striped maxi skirt in third trimesterpurple tank with a pencil skirt in summerfloral wrap dress in summer with a baby bump, ankle boots in spring with a floral dress.




Linking up with Let It Shine, Modest Monday, Styled Up, Budgeting Bloggers, Bless Your Heart, Mix It Mondays, Manic Monday, Daily ExpressOn Trend Tuesday, Confident Twosday, Style Sessions, Reasons To Dress, Wardrobe Wednesday, The Wednesday Pants, What I Wore today.




Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

52 comments:

  1. Im obsessed with that rebecca mink off bag!
    CinderellaStandard.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a haul! I love those ankle boots you got. Had you not mentioned that the polka dot 'top' was actually a dress, I would have never guessed it and I think this pairing makes a fabulous office wear. The floral dress is cute too. I am not a fan of floral but black and white is subtle enough even for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did buy quite a lot...I needed some new ankle boots though! :)

      Delete
  3. It looks like you purchased a lot of great items this month! I love the printed shift and your new Rebecca Minkoff bag!

    Fizz and Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love that you are so practical with your purchases and your intentions for wearing them 2x in the month after purchasing. That's a really great strategy for knowing whether it's really going to have a strong, functional place in your wardrobe or just end up being a one-time wonder. Also love seeing all the ways you wore your ankle boots even though they are going to be leaving your wardrobe. Glad you found a good replacement for them!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it! I am trying to make sure I'm buying pieces I can wear a lot of ways and want to wear a lot of ways, instead of things I think are pretty but don't know when I would actually wear them, haha!

      Delete
  5. Loving your new buys, especially the color of that blue cardigan! :D
    (and bye bye ASOS boots, they had a pretty great run!)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So in love with your comfy Asos boots too, Mica! Perfect with dresses and blazer as a contrast! Wonderful dress (and skirt) combos for the office - you look incredible chic! Though you was on the run... hehe!! You have such a great jacket collection! I'm really into your blazers and leather jackets - the looks with them are outstanding!!! <3 <3

      xoxo Ira
      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
  6. I like this green floral dress on you . xx

    Nina
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't put a lot of time into my photos either, but you still look great! I love the foggy background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a foggy morning! I wished I had more time to get a better composed shot with the fog - but oh well! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh I just love the dress dear, that print is so nice and looks amazing on you :) Looking so chic during fall :D

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great and got a lot of awesome pieces!!


    Amber
    All the Cute
    Today’s Post: Cold-Shoulder Floral Romper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mica, you purchased some great clothes. I love that jumper and those ankle boots. So sharp. I think you do an amazing job capturing your ootd! I don't know how you do it all with the baby, husband and work. Whenever I'm feeling sluggish, I just think of all of your responsibilities. You do a fabulous job mixing prints with solids. So beautiful. Great outfits.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Kim! It takes a minute or two to do photos each morning, got it down pat now, so it's easier that way! :)

      Delete
  11. I swear, every time I come to you blog, I get purse fever!!! :D

    -Jan
    janmloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you structure your budgeting post. It's really cool to see what you got and then what you wore all in one post. I love the bag you featured too. What a gorgeous blue!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww.. fabulous purchases this month, hun!
    Looks good on you!

    Btw, I just followed you on Bloglovin :)

    xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty looks, I love the polka dot and red combination.
    xoxo
    Christy

    http://www.am2pmchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new silk dress and of course that gorgeous R Minkoff bag… and I could hear the baby in the back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes he was waking up from his nap!

      Delete
  16. I love all the bright colors and patterns you wore this month! Those asos chelsea boots you picked up are too cute. Good luck with no buy July ;)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thank you! I think I need all the luck, so many sales on right now!

      Delete
  17. i spent too much in June too and need to cut back on my july spending too... love that navy Minkoff bag!

    cute & little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you manage to keep your spending in check this month! :)

      Delete
  18. What great bargain buys! I love the Jeanswest purple kimono and silk dress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how Baby T wails in the background as you mention you bought another handbag :D Here we go with #NoBuyJuly15 !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really pick their moments don't they? haha! I haven't been shooting many videos lately as his nap times are just too unpredictable.

      Delete
  20. That Zalora maroon t-shirt!! *_* So happy to see you did a video, I forgot how cute your voice is :D
    Good luck with No Buy July! I know, that'd be difficult..aha.

    The Dragonfruit Diaries
    Check out my YouTube channel too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thank you Linda! :) It will be difficult, but I'm hoping I can stick to it! :)

      Delete
  21. Oh what a choice of great items ! I love all work-combos and off course your new Rebecca Minkoff bag!
    Kiss, Sily

    ReplyDelete
  22. That Rebecca Minkoff mini affair bag is a wonderful purchase. I bought the white one a few months ago and I use it all the time!

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay new purchases! I may have been really bad and went on a little (big) shopping spree myself this past Sunday. With our Independence day coming up, I knew we'd have a ton of things to go to. Plus, vacation. (; I'm so happy with my purchases, I can't wait to share them!

    I totally admire your ability to rock dresses in the winter. I wish it were more doable here in Ohio winters. Sadly the snow got to be about 2- 3 ft high at some times and I could barely walk from my car to the office building. (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what you wore on vacation! I hope you have a great time :)

      We are lucky not to have any snow - although sometimes I wish we could have it as it would be fun to play in! Would limit the wardrobe options though :)

      Delete
  24. 2 great outfits. I am a sucker for polka dots so I love the first one and I am always happy about wearing new things. =) Enjoy your new purchases, Mica.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great video and looks like you scored some deals with the sales. I will need to do an edit of a few things that I want to toss out soon. :)
    Kitchen Tales

    ReplyDelete
  26. polka dots and florals and stripes are my fave patterns to mix!!

    xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  27. That thrifted blue Mossman knit jumper is fabulous, I do love it! Just like you I like that it has longer back, it looks stylish! I enjoyed the video:)
    'shirt dresses or wrap dresses' challenge sounds interesting as well. You coped with the task perfectly well:) The first outfit is so special and feminine, the second one is not a halfpenny the worse)
    p.s. Glad you like my new hairstyle, I'm really pleased:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra! it was a great opshop find, fits well and it's such a nice detail :)

      Your hair is lovely! :)

      Delete
  28. I've never seen a video budget report- how cool! Also, you have such a fabulous handbag collection :) -- stopping by from Fran's link-up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like my handbags :) I find a video post is a bit easier for showing everything if I haven't gotten around to wearing it yet, so I'm pleased you liked it :)

      Delete
  29. Cute post! I really love your review on the things that you purchased this month. I need to start doing it too! Perhaps, it will help me to stop buying too much stuff ;))

    http://stylesprinter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been really helpful for me to look at what I buy instead of just hiding it all away in the wardrobe as I buy it, haha!

      Delete
  30. A moto jacket is definitely a staple in my closet! Lovely looks!

    Paulina

    shenanigan-ska.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I read shirt dress and jersey pencil skirt and had to go back to look for it. I was imagining the shirt dress worn over the pencil skirt (I find they're often a bit short on me) and belted.

    Drooling over the Minkoff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great look! This one is a bit too long for that, but with a curved hem I worried it might be too short for the office, so layered under the skirt was the way to go :)

      Delete
  32. You picked up some fantastic new pieces! I love seeing your layered looks with all of your pretty scarves. You are so great about staying on top of your wardrobe and eliminating pieces. I need to consider this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get better at letting things go when they just don't work any more, but it's a slow process! :) As you can see more things come into the wardrobe than leave it ;)

      Delete
  33. wow! you look amazing in each of the outfit combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you all for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the first outfit at the top. That RM bag was a great buy, I love how it works with your outfits. Best of luck with the No Buy July!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...