Monday 14 February 2022

Dusters, Denim Skirts And Sneakers: Weekday Wear Link Up

Two more playground outfits for days out with the kids! School was postponed back in January due to high Covid cases, giving the kids an extra 2 weeks of summer school holidays to enjoy. And for us it means more fun playground trips! Sticking with a tried and true outfit formula for these days, with block colour tees, denim skirts, sneakers and printed dusters.


What I wore:

tropical floral print dusters with pink tee and denim skirt sneakers mini 5 zip bag | awayfromtheblue

Rebecca Minkoff Mini 5 zip in pink iris with gold hardware | awayfromtheblue

awayfromtheblue Instagram | floral duster with denim skirt and pink tee

Jacket: Jeanswest Melanie floral kimono
Necklace: terrazzo and wood rose gold bead necklace
TeeCotton On deep v tee in washed desert rose
Skirt: thrifted Target black stretch denim skirt 
ShoesNew Balance Coast women's running shoe in black 
BagRebecca Minkoff Mini 5 zip in pink iris with gold hardware (Christmas gift)


Why I wore it:

I wasn't too sure how this outfit would all work together. There is some pink in this tropical floral print duster, but the pink mini 5 zip bag and the dusty pink tee are different shades of it, and all are different each other. I decided to give it a go though, I hadn't worn this tee and duster together before and I do think this duster does with everything. With all the shades of pink I kept the rest neutral with the black New Balance sneakers and the black denim skirt, which was an awesome opshop find. Even the wooden and terrazzo necklace was a neutral touch. I ended up really liking this outfit and I'm glad I gave it a go!

We had a little trip to the library for the kids to get their prize for completing the summer reading challenge, and then it was off to the bike track. I only carried this little mini 5 zip bag for the essentials as I had our big reusable tote for the library with our water bottles. We ended up coming across a little baby bird on the ground at the bike track, so the kids spent more time looking at it than riding on their bikes really! Poor little thing was hopping around looking lost, but it had a very fierce mummy bird coming in to protect it every time the magpies got too close, so we knew it was being watched and left it alone. Even if I did have to call the RSPCA animal ambulance to confirm that was the right thing to do, to convince my son I was right to leave it and that he shouldn't try pick it up 😅 He's an animal lover and just wanted to help!


Last worn: floral maxi kimono, rose tee, terrazzo and wood rose gold bead necklace, black denim skirt, New Balance sneakers. First time I've worn the pink 5 zip bag as it was a Christmas present.

Other ways to wearfloral kimono and jeans, rose tee and culottes, black denim skirt and orange tee.


Handbag For Every Occasion: Bag Tag Video




What I wore:

black striped duster with nobody denim distressed skirt clay tee adidas superstar sneakers | awayfromblue

black striped duster denim skirt with Rebecca Minkoff medium unlined tote in black with shellac studded dome hardware | awayfromtheblue


JacketKmart striped maxi cardigan
Necklace: Kmart silver long circle pendant necklace
TeeCotton On The One fitted v tee in washed red clay
SkirtNobody Denim Piper vacation skirt in black distressed denim
Shoesthrifted Adidas Superstar sneakers
BagRebecca Minkoff medium unlined tote in black with shellac studded dome hardware


Why I wore it:

This was another eventful playground trip - but for all the wrong reasons! We headed to a playground that we hadn't been to for a few years, last time we went was for a toddler birthday party! I managed to get lost and nearly drive into a building site, but managed to figure out the right way in the end. The kids loved the playground but after we'd been playing for a while I went to clean my hands and realised I'd left my hand sanitiser behind at home. Luckily the park had some toilets and a little sink with soap, but it was a bit frustrating constantly walking across the playground to wash my hands after pushing the kids on the swings and equipment! While I was away from my bag on one of those hand washing trips a bird managed to poop on my bag too...still, that's meant to be good luck right? 😂

Despite everything going wrong and it turning out to be a very hot and humid day, the kids had a great time at the park. They really do see the best in things! I did wish I'd picked a shorter sleeved duster to cover up with as it was so humid, but this one turned out to be an okay choice as it was hard to find good spots in the shade to sit and watch the kids when they didn't need me to play with them. I was thankful for the physical sun block this provided, even if it was unbreathable polyester. With the sleeves rolled up it wasn't too hot, as you can see the sleeves roll up nicely.

Went with my big Rebecca Minkoff unlined tote to carry snacks and water bottles - and as soon as we got home I put hand sanitiser back in it, and made sure I had properly cleaned off the bird poop!


How You Can Wear It:

A bright tee and a black denim skirt is an easy summer outfit with sneakers - perfect for a morning at the playground with the kids. For a little extra colour or even just some physical sun coverage, you can add a printed duster. The outfit formula works really well with a plain block colour tee as you don't have to worry about the print clashing.



Weekday Wear Linkup #158


Welcome to the Weekday Wear linkup! A linkup for you to share your weekday outfits - whether that is office wear or stay at home mum wear - if you wore it on a weekday, you can link it up!


Guidelines:
1. Please link to a specific outfit post, not your blog homepage.
2. Link back to this post so others can find the link up.
3. Follow your host Away From The Blue on BloglovinInstagramTwitterFacebook or YouTube.
4. Add up to two posts and be sure to visit and comment on as many other posts as possible to get some weekday outfit inspiration!
Optional: tweet the post you linked up with the hashtag #weekdayWearLinkUp so I can retweet!


Subscribe for The Weekday Wear Linkup reminder emails






Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

76 comments:

  1. Both of these outfits are so cute! I love the jacket on the second one, I think stripes so classic. Bless your son for wanting to help the bird, that is lovely of him xx

    Hannah | https://luxuryblush.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such an animal lover! He's very kind!

      Delete
  2. Mica, both of these outfits are so cute! I always love pairing a longer topper over a shorter skirt, dress, or shorts. I hope the kids have a great back to school and that you get some momma time to yourself!

    Shelbee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good fail-safe outfit formula! And I'm back at work now the kids are in school so not aa lot of time to myself, but stops me missing them too much, haha!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, the bird stories! Bless your son's heart, I am sure it would be hard to leave the bird be when all you want to do is help. Thank goodness you were able to make that call. And then the bird pooping on your bag - holy cow!
    Hope you have a great week Mica!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are lucky to have great resources here - and it was nice for my son to get another person backing me up that he had to resist the urge to give the bird cuddles and leave it alone, haha!

      Delete
  4. That kimono jacket is so lovely!
    have a wonderful week,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the top and handbag cute ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to enroll my kids in the summer reading program and at the end there was an ice cream social and prize ribbons. Love the outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love the ice cream! They didn't get that this time, haha! They got a library tote to use as a book bag this year.

      Delete
  7. Such cute dusters and outfits. You sure dress nice for the playground!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both looks. I find myself wearing sneakers so much on the daily, Have a lovely day!
    -Nina
    http://www.stylingwithnina.com/2022/02/valentines-day-look.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very practical choice, especially for my knee injury!

      Delete
  9. I love how you take the boys to the playground so often and that bike track you shared is really cool. I am going to be wearing my denim skirts when spring comes: all your cute outfits with them is inspiring me!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been going to playgrounds so much more often - nice to spend time outdoors when omicron cases are raging!

      Delete
  10. I like the kimono on the first pic it goes really well with the pink bag. Its great that the kids have a bit more summer holidays to enjoy and let the high cases settle down first.

    https://bit.ly/3uF8sLb
    Steph- G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they really enjoyed the extra 2 weeks and it was lovely to have that time together :)

      Delete
  11. Oh no, bird poop on the bag! But hey, anything for good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha true! Haven't seen much of that good luck yet, maybe it takes a while ;)

      Delete
  12. Denim mini skirts are my go-to for all the year around!
    Love the combo with kimonos, them gives to the outfits those boho and carefree vibes that make them so effortlessly stylish!
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Long duster + a shorter denim skirt = brilliant idea! Both looks are fabulous, Mica.

    Rena
    www.finewhateverblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's nice to have go-to outfit formulas like this!

      Delete
  14. You look great. I love your duster.
    My kids love the library summer reading program as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice how you get out to the playground a lot. Are the kiddos happy to be back in school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have been visiting different ones every week over the school holidays - safest things with omicron cases raging! My eldest is definitely loving being with all their classmates again, and my youngest is adjusting to his first time at school well!

      Delete
  16. I can't believe the number of outfits you've been able to create with those denim skirts! My favourite is the first one, the combination of colours looks just right to me, and that kimono is such a treasure!
    I'm glad to hear the baby bird was alright - it would have worried me too - but your day at the playground sounds quite stressful. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the bird poop incident indeed brings good luck. Long before Covid, I had a seagull poop on my jacket, which I managed to clean up with ... hand sanitizer! Have a great week Mica! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so practical, I am having a lot of fun creating so many outfits from these skirts!

      Hand sanitizer is really handy to have, we always had it before covid too, haha!

      Delete
  17. Happy Monday, Mica! I love your first outfit, and my initial thoughts were that I really liked how all the tones of pink (which all seem to have a coral undertone to them) work so nicely together!

    In the second outfit, I also like the touch of pink with the stripes, but I think this is a duster that you should be looking to upgrade (always be upgrading). Look for: stripes (of course!), 100% cotton, a good print that isn't white on the back (that's one of my tell-tales for a poor-quality fabric). It's fine for now, but I think you deserve a better striped cardi/jacket/topper.

    Hand sanitizing is important, but it's more about masks and distance with Omicron. Still, very stressful to have to keep washing your hands! I'm glad you finally found that park (and some shade).

    Wishing you a wonderful week ahead, and many thanks (as always) for the link party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the striped duster a lot in spring and autumn when the polyester is more of a good thing for the extra warmth, haha! It's perfect in all other respects - the print fully covers it, it's a nice length...I always jump on kimonos when I find them in opshops though so maybe I will upgrade it one day!

      Delete
  18. Both of these are so pretty, Mica. I really love your striped cardigan! And your son is so sweet to want to save the baby bird. <3

    Wishing you a wonderful week!

    Make Life Marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you wear a denim skirt to the playground. You probably are the most fashionable mom out there??
    XOOX
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha definitely not the only one at the playground in a denim skirt! It's so hot here skirts and dresses are a go-to by most mums!

      Delete
  20. You are always so stylish Mica!
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself


    My Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope that bird poop incident does bring you good luck! It sound like you had quite an adventurous day out! Love both outfits, especially the long striped topper with the repeating stripes on your sneakers. You have made so many inspiring outfits with your new short skirts. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I really wish the bird poop had brought me some luck!

      Delete
  22. You sure know how to rock a kimono and a skirt.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an outfit combo I keep coming back to!

      Delete
  23. Totally cute outfits as always,Mica! The kimono and cardigan you got on are such great staple pieces. And I think it's so awesome how you always take the time to take the kiddos to the library and to parks. Nowadays, with everyone being on the computer/gadgets all the time, it's really important that they're able to get out and be more active:) Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my kids would get bored on the computer or ipad if we did it every day, haha! They much prefer getting outdoors - I think it changes as they get older though!

      Delete
  24. I love the proportions of a longer kimono over a shorter skirt—it's such a great idea, I'll have to try it when the weather warms up here ;)
    Cheryl Shops | www.cherylshops.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could inspire you to give it a try! :)

      Delete
  25. Love your outfits. They’re so cute and flexible — fine for running errands with the kids and by yourself. And, seriously, you have the best taste in bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Both of these were Christmas gifts but I do love my handbags!

      Delete
  26. Ambos looks estan geniales. Te mando un beso y te deseo un lindo dia de san valentin.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved the looks. comfort is everything
    xo
    https://www.dearlytay.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like how you team your sneakers with your clothes. I just can't do it with style. Whenever I wear sneakers, it has to be for sports or walking. A kimono like yours is so versatile, it seems light and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair I did a lot of walking and running at the playground in these, haha! I have a knee injury so comfy sneakers are my go-to!

      Delete
  29. Oh yes this cookies are really delicious =)
    My weekend was really great. I was relaxing a lot and it was Super Bowl time <3 :D Your weekend sounds nice too.

    Great outfits again =) I like the combination of skirts and sneakers.
    The first outfit would be my favourite, I like the cardigan, it looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love love the kimono jacket. Always looking beautiful, dear! I think the 40s hair style is so nice on you!
    And hooray for lots of playground trips!

    Marie
    https://theflowerduet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gotta shop for a smaller bag like the red one you are styling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! it's actually pink but it would be super cute in red too!

      Delete
  32. Very beautiful!
    I love your denim skirt :)

    https://www.heyimwiththeband.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  33. 2 extra week of summer holidays for the kiddos? I'm sure they didn't complain especially when the weather is nice and one can enjoy being outdoors. I love your outfits. Your floral kimono is fabulous and it looks great with that outfit...the outfit with the striped kimono is fabulous as well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they loved having that extra time at home!

      Delete
  34. Hi
    It seems that the changes that COVID has caused in schools are all over the world. Here we are improving but the numbers are still very high! I liked your two looks and I think they are perfect to accompany your children in their games!
    Thanks for the invite to the link up!
    xoxo

    marisasclosetblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cases are still high here sadly, but about half of what they were in January so that's good!

      Delete
  35. This is great clothes on the playground with the kids.
    You all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love these outfits so much! They’re so stylish yet practical and comfortable enough to move around, especially for a trip to the playground! Your son is so sweet and I’m glad the little bird was under a watchful eye. I hope you’re having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! He kept a very close eye on it, such a sweet boy!

      Delete
  37. A duster is such a great spring and summer piece- it add coverage and some major style points without adding any bulk!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Dusters and kimonos are staples for me!

      Delete
  38. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can pull out some similar pieces! I love the duster in your first outfit especially!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I especially love that first outfit! The denim skirt is so cute with the kimono. I recently got my first denim skirt and am excited to wear it more once summer rolls around.

    Miles of smiles,
    Grace

    gracefulrags.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm glad you tried this outfit too because it turned out so cute! Taking a fashion risk always pays off! :) Hope you're having a great week!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love this denim skirt and duster combo. The striped cardigan is beautiful!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. First of all reading challenge sounds amazing! you must be so proud!
    Also can I have your cardigan collection, Amy? I'd steal it all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes they love doing the reading challenges in the school holidays - it's great our library puts them together! I do have such a kimono collection, haha! They are the best!

      Delete
  43. Both outfits are terrific❣️What a dear sweetheart your son is!

    Rosemary
    www.DistinctlySouthernStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. OH I really love that second outfit; I am a sucker for anything navy and white.

    ReplyDelete
  45. That's too bad about the spike in Covid cases there, but I bet the kids enjoyed their extended holidays. I hope you're staying healthy this summer. I do love both of your outfits and can't wait for our warm weather to be here again so I can dress like this again too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they loved the extra time at home, it's good we could have a little more time together before school started! :)

      Delete
  46. Love the peachy top with denim skirt. I have been eyeing my denim skirt lately, as it signals spring! Sounds like some active days with your kids!
    I really like the long kimono over the skirt too.
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...