Monday 18 September 2017

Printed Blouses and Black Pencil Skirts: Cold Weather Office Wear

I try to get the most out of my wardrobe by wearing summer pieces year-round and making things work as both office wear and stay at home mum style. There are a few pieces I keep strictly for work wear though.

Both printed tops I'm wearing below were packed away when I outgrew them in pregnancy and left aside while I was on maternity leave. It's been good to unbox them again now I'm back in the office! Printed tops pair so nicely with black pencil skirts.

What I wore:

navy ruffled printed blouse with black pencil skirt colourful accessories winter office outfit | AwayFromBlue

navy trench, Balenciaga raisin purple 2009 giant silver G21 hardware work bag | AwayFromTheBlue

awayfromblue colourful witner office otufit polka dot ruffle blouse purple bag yellow necklace
JacketJeanswest Monica Mac coat in Indigo
NecklaceStarfish Project Veronica short yellow multi strand necklace
BlouseJeanswest 'Ricky' ruffle front top in midnight
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagBalenciaga raisin purple 2009 giant silver G21 hardware work bag

Why I wore it:

While I'd been going without tights in the mornings, the not quite spring weather didn't hang around long so it was a bit chilly this morning, back to tights and ankle boots. Despite it being a very cold morning, I still wanted a cheerful and colourful outfit.

With the navy polka dot top and the purple bag, the outfit was already colourful, but I thought I'd add the yellow statement necklace for a finishing touch. I really liked this outfit combination. Nothing like a bit of colour to cheer you up on a cold morning!


Last worn: navy macintosh, polka dot ruffle top, black zip detail pencil skirt, black ankle boots, purple Balenciaga work bag.

Other ways to wearnavy macintosh and chambray dress, polka dot ruffle top and red jeans, black zip detail pencil skirt over a dress, ankle boots and little black dress, purple Balenciaga work bag and textured pencil skirt.

Perfect for pregnancy: ruffle top hiding an early baby bump, pencil skirt in first trimester, ankle boots in second trimester.



Printed Blouses Under $50:







What I wore:

trench coat, printed blouse black pencil skirt purple balenciaga work bag | Away From Blue

Trench coat, pencil skirt, Balenciaga raisin purple 2009 giant silver G21 hardware work bag | Away From The Blue

awayfromblue instagram trench coat printed blouse black ponte pencil skirt purple bag
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
NecklaceRoie Designs pearl and antique gold long necklace
Top: Target ruffle sleeve dog print blouse
SkirtJeanswest black ponte pencil skirt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs logo plaque flats in camel
BagBalenciaga raisin purple 2009 giant silver G21 hardware work bag

Why I wore it:

I always have a hard time remembering the differences between these two black pencil skirts when I write blog posts! The one above has an exposed zipper detail on the back, and this one here has elastic panels displayed at the waist but it's hidden under the trench coat. Despite these minor differences they do look identical - but with so many printed tops in my wardrobe a couple of black pencil skirts are a necessity for easy office outfits.

This dachshund print top was an impulse Target buy a few years ago. It didn't get worn an awful lot when I first got it as I found the stitched on waist belt a bit limiting with how I could wear it. A comment from Sheila on her blog about how she removed a similar belt gave me the idea to take the belt off. Removing the stitching and the belt was my first ever DIY attempt with a top, and I love how it makes this top a lot more wearable.

The purple in the print made this purple Balenciaga work bag an easy accessory to pair with it!


Last worn: camel trench, dachshund print top, ponte pencil skirt, camel ballet flats, Balenciaga purple work bag (above).

Other ways to wearcamel trench and skinny jeans, dachshund print top and red jeans, ponte pencil skirt in summer, camel ballet flats and skinny jeans, Balenciaga purple work bag and blue dress.

Perfect for pregnancy: camel trench in the first trimester, dachshund print top hiding a second trimester bump, ballet flats in third trimester.



Black Pencil Skirts Under $50:







How You Can Wear It:



A black pencil skirt is an easy base for an office outfit. You can add some colour and fun with a printed top, and go a step further with colourful statement accessories too like in the first outfit. Not all printed outfits need to be overly colourful, sometimes keeping things simple and picking one colour from the print to wear in your accessories too works as well like in the second outfit. A black pencil skirt is one of those must-have pieces in your office wardrobe.


Linking up with Confident Twosday, Turning Heads, On Trend, Style Sessions, What I Wore.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

44 comments:

  1. Love the purple colour of your bag, Mica! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have one pencil skirt, an it is pretty colorful, I guess I need a black version as well.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are a classic for my work wardrobe as I have a lot of printed tops! :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE the pop of yellow with the blue! Soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These blouses look so lovely and perfect for work. You look lovely!

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being able to get out my tops I cannot wear with Ivy when I head to the office. There is just something about it that makes you feel put together right? You look lovely!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, it really is, you feel more pulled together in work clothes!

      Delete
  6. It's nice to have some things that are reserved specifically for the office isn't it, makes you feel that little more polished when you wear them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, makes you feel more dressed up!

      Delete
  7. They're both so cute! And I love the pop of purple with the bag. Woohoo for DIY-ing that second top too! Love when one little change makes me wear something more.
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the blue tones and then the pop of yellow, looking so chic!

    Camila,
    My Vogue Style | www.myvoguestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! Beautiful as always! The bag compliment your looks perfectly!I also like wearing my items season to season. Have a great week!

    Tiff
    Http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful pairings! I love the way the grape purse looks with the navy in the first outfit and the camel colored coat in the second, so pretty! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have the best week ahead!

    XO,
    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looks, I love both coat and I'm obsessed with the Balenciaga color!

    http://violettedaily.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember I had a purple bag a few years back that I absolutely adored. And I love yours just as much. It adds such a nice touch of color to your outfits!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both blouses are super cute especially the dog print one! I also try to max out my wardrobe by wearing summer pieces year round. It can be done with creative layering :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This are really some lovely Outfits to wear for a day at the office. You look great in it. :3

    xx Monia ♡
    www.moniacagnazzo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like both looks ! In my case with the exception of long gowns I have no rules for wearing garments: they 're worn whenever needed.
    Looks like it got chilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have a wardrobe like that I can wear for any occasion! I'm working towards it!

      Delete
  16. I love how you styled the blouse.
    Perfect for autumn.
    Have a nice week.

    Love, Esther
    https://lifestyle-tale.com/en/random-facts-lets-get-personal/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these professional looks! A pencil skirt is the perfect piece to bridge work and fashion!

    Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is just so cute.
    i love your outfits...they are all so darling!

    be blessed! <3
    ashley

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that you were able to remove the belt from the dog print top to make it more wearable, because it's so cute and deserves to be shown off!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the pairing of the first top with the bag. Looks great. Your camel coat reminds me that I need to snag one in preparation for Winter.

    http://www.fashionablyidu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohmygosh your puppy is soooooooo cute :D

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice look, enjoying your bag colour a real statement. x Jacqui
    www.mummabstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute! I love your bag!! Looks stunning ;)

    You have an awesomely blog -- I'm following ;) and I would love if you could follow me too!!

    TheNotSoGirlyGirl // Instagram // Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like how you paired everything together! Quite smart looks too! x

    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete
  25. That second look is so great! Such a classic with the trench coat!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  26. So chic here, lady! Love this look!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the dachshund print top much more without the belt! It makes it a more versatile piece! I have done that before with tops to extend the life of them. It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I did it so I can wear this more often!

      Delete
  28. Ohh both of these tops are SO fun! I love how you put these outfits together! Hope you're having a great week :)


    XOXO,
    Amanda
    misslulupearlblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh how smart to take off the belt to make that top more wearable! I never really think to modify my clothes like that, but I should. Also, how pretty is that ruffled top in your first look? I absolutely love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I gave it a go, it made the top so much more wearable!

      Delete
  30. What a great look for work! You look so classy and polished! I love that you made a pencil skirt work for fall by wearing tights. What a great idea! Have a great week!

    Tina
    www.justatinabit.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love both the looks sweety!
    Vaishali
    www.vivaciouswish.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. We are still in cold weather here, these are the kind of outfits I go for but I need to work in colour more like you do! Its so nice :)

    findyourownhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always feel super crafty if I can alter something without having to go to Mum or mum in law, hahaha, needless to say it extends to snipping off belt ties and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mica, that daschund top was an excellent purchase. I love black & camel together. Always looks so good. I love the dots and ruffles in the other top! Very pretty. Love both outfits.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you all for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...