Friday 14 April 2017

Maxi Dresses and Autumn Layers

Hope you all enjoy the Easter long weekend! If you're unable to make it to your regular church, you can always celebrate easter at Church Online no matter where you are in the world!


Although Autumn took a little longer to arrive in Brisbane than I'd hoped, it is nice to take advantage of the slightly cooler mornings and evenings and layer up my maxi dresses a little. Denim jackets and kimonos are ideal layering pieces for those in-between seasons when temperatures fluctuate through the day and you need things you can easily take off and on.

What I wore:

Autumn Denim jacket, JayJays feather print maxi dress, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag | AwayFromBlue

printed maxi dress, Rebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey | AwayFromTheBlue
Jacket: Bubblegum denim jacket
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Wilma teething necklace in pale daffodil
DressJayJays feather print maxi dress
ShoesWittner 'Jasmarie' studded sandals
BagRebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey

Why I wore it:

Had a little bit of a busy morning rushing around trying to run errands and get organised for a playdate. Decided to wear this printed maxi dress as it was an easy, instant outfit and it's been a while since I wore this dress. Halfway through #6monthsWithoutShopping, I'm trying to make my wardrobe more interesting by picking things I haven't worn in a while.

I had a quick look through my blog archives and was surprised to find I hadn't actually worn this jacket and dress together before. I'm sure I have before I even had a blog, as these are really old pieces of my wardrobe. A printed maxi dress and denim jacket is such a great outfit idea when you need a little extra warmth.



Last worn: denim jacket, feather print maxi dress, studded sandals, Rebecca Minkoff quilted Love bag.

Other ways to weardenim jacket with double denim, feather print maxi dress and a baby bump, studded sandals and shorts, Rebecca Minkoff quilted Love bag and chambray.



More Denim Jackets Under $50:








What I wore:

Jeanswest 'Sierra' embellished black maxi dress, lace kimono, bright accessories | Away From Blue

Rebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC, black maxi dress | Away From The Blue
JacketShein cream lace kimono (C/O)
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
DressJeanswest 'Sierra' embellished black maxi dress (on sale!)
Shoes: Wittner 'Jasmarie' studded sandals
BagRebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC (on sale!)

Why I wore it:

After a few showery days I wanted to add another layer to this maxi dress as it was cooler, but couldn't decide which piece to wear. I considered the denim jacket I wore above, but wanted something soft as I was babywearing most of the day. I worried this lace kimono would be too 'busy' with the embroidery and bead embellishments on this maxi dress, but tried it on anyway and really liked the combination, I don't think it was too much in the end.

Some colourful accessories with the teething necklace and neon pink mini MAC bag to brighten up my outfit a little. We headed into the city to see some turtles hatching at the museum for part of Science Week in Brisbane.

It was really fascinating, especially for toddler T, who got to see turtles hatching up close after getting excited by a picture of it in one of his books. He got to pat a few turtles too. While we got there at the worst time and the line to get in was huge, the staff were good at providing updates and keeping everyone amused as we waited. It was an incredible experience and I'm so glad we did it.


Last worn: lace kimono, embellished maxi dress, studded sandals (above), Rebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC bag.

Other ways to wearlace kimono and denim shorts, embellished maxi dress at 39 weeks pregnant, studded sandals and button up dresses, Rebecca Minkoff neon pink mini MAC bag and flares.



More Lace Kimonos Under $50:








How You can Wear It:



Autumn is the perfect time to get some use out of all of those light layering pieces like denim jackets and kimonos. A classic denim jacket and dress combination works well for spring too! It's a nice way to continue to wear your summer pieces for another season, just by adding an extra layer.


Linking up with Friday Faves, The Ultimate Rabbit Hole, Shoe & Tell, Hello Monday, On Mondays We Link Up, Mix It Monday, Modest Monday.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

55 comments:

  1. Both looks are great! I love to wear a maxi dress in autumn. My go-to second piece is usually my denim jacket, but I really like the kimono, too.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Andrea
    Andrea’s Wellness Notes

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post :)

    http://itsmetijana.blogspot.rs/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving these maxi dresses on you! They both look great with the layers, and are perfect autumn looks.
    Rachael
    www.threadsforthomasblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These maxi dresses look so pretty on you!


    http://www.thequinoxfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. As it's Autumn in Australia, it's Spring in the US and these are the best seasons for light layering. I was able to wear my denim jacket earlier this week and I'm looking forward to dress weather soon. Happy Easter to you and your family Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rowena! You're right, I think our spring and autumn seasons are similar, perfect for light layers! :)

      Delete
  6. The lace kimono is gorgeous! I like the vibe from the denim jacket and maxi dress now. I still have to hunt a little more for a fab maxi skirt like some of the ones you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the best maxi dresses! Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do that too! I look through my blog when I get out of inspiration and I remember the pieces I have! Love the first look! Great accessorizing!
    Dora www.BangsBang.com
    https://www.instagram.com/doratoubanaki/?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a blog archive of outfits to hunt through for inspiration! :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely ideas!
    The denim jacket adds a very cool effect to the look :D

    Happy easter!


    http://www.desiringsme.com/diy-ruffle-sleeves/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am loving both bags and your outfits look great also
    www.mssparkleandglow.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love layering in Autumn! It's like the perfect season to make any outfit more interesting with layers, and it can be quite a creative process too! Your layered outfits are fabulous, when I saw you in that denim jacket it reminded me that I need the perfect denim jacket for these months, one like yours! :)
    Have a lovely Easter weekend, dear!

    www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could inspire you to find a denim jacket! :)

      Delete
  12. That first maxi dress is gorgeous!!!! <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both looks! It's spring here but those looks word totally work now for us!

    xx Jennifer
    Effortlessly Sophisticated

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I'm going to have to dig mine out for spring and summer. I'm usually pretty picky with them because unless the cut is just right, I end up looking like I"m wearing a sack (the perils of being flat chested...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if they weren't the easiest to find, I think maxi dresses are easy to wear so I hope you enjoy wearing yours :)

      Delete
  15. I have been really into maxi dresses lately, so I am so happy to see you do a couple outfits with them, hun! :) Both look stunning, I love the colourful pattern on the first dress and I love how you styled the second one - I think the black maxi with a hot pink handbag is just such an amazing combo! :) Hope you are having a wonderful Easter weekend, love! xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the denim jacket look. I need to find my denim jacket. It seems to have disappeared ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find your denim jacket! It's definitely not needed over summer but helpful in autumn!

      Delete
  17. That printed maxi dress is so cute! Love it with the denim jacket :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh I love that pretty lace kimono! It's such a gorgeous layer over that dress. And the print of your first maxi dress is so pretty--such a great combo with the denim jacket (which is one of my favorite wardrobe items ever). Have a wonderful Easter Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to wear my denim jacket more, it is a great piece! :)

      Delete
  19. The pattern of the first dress is so pretty! I'm a sucker for feathers these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your autumn layering outfits are what I would wear in the height of summer. Even then it can get a little chilly over here.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes much too hot for layering with denim in summer here!

      Delete
  21. Happy Easter. The start of autumn is so lovely especially the chance to start wearing some warmer clothes. I love printed dress.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait for summer to be able to wear all of those summery maxi dresses!
    You look gorgeous by the way!
    Kisses,
    Karolina xx
    http://www.itsbronde.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are perfect in spring and autumn too ;)

      Delete
  23. The outfits are both super cute and perfect for spring!
    LA VEINE

    ReplyDelete
  24. Maxi dresses are just great, and you wear them so well, Mica. Have always been a fan of denim jackets with dresses, so really love the first outfit. And that kimono is just fab:)
    Happy Easter to you as well! God bless:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love both outfits you posted! Perfect for easter like you said! I think the black dress with the pop of pink from your purse is my favorite. Congrats on making it half way through the no shopping! I'm not sure I'd make it that long. I'm always picking something up!

    A Beauty and The Business

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm surprised I'm doing so well with the challenge!

      Delete
  26. Both outfits are lovely! The second is my favorite though because of the lace kimono and pink bag!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love both those dresses but the black one with the lace kimono is my fave. It looks so smart! Your day out with the turtles sounds like so much fun. Now I want to pat a turtle too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a great experience, especially for the boys! :)

      Delete
  28. that maxi dress is to die for! love it!

    marisa
    summerinmarch

    ReplyDelete
  29. So pretty Mica!! Even in Autumn, you dress so colorful! I love it!

    Also love that Toddler T got to see turtles hatching!! That's amazing!! Hope you have a lovely Easter Mica!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredible, it's a great thing they do incubating them and bringing them to the museum for everyone to enjoy! :)

      Delete
  30. These are such cute looks! I love a good maxi. Happy weekend!

    Liz
    Www.lizzieinlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look so stunning in these maxi dresses! Nice accessories too! =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your feather print maxi! I also love to add a denim jacket, it is always the right choice for layering! You look amazing in the black maxi too!
    Happy Easter!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that feather print maxi dress.The colors are gorgeous and it's perfect with that denim jacket. You look amazing!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the lace kimono, it really dresses up the black maxi.
    Hope you had a happy easter!
    http://www.iamchiconthecheap.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooh love the lace kimono with the black. Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wore a new maternity maxi on Easter to show off the bump. Next time I wear it I'm going to try it with a denim jacket. I'm having one of those "duh, why didnt I think of that" moments. lol I hope you and your family had a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey, that floral maxi would be perfect with a denim jacket! :)

      Delete
  37. Oh I really like the peacock print dress paired with the jean jacket.
    And I still have my one and only peplum top and I love it. Sometimes I wear it tucked in, others belted, at the end I'm the one that has to like it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lorena - we need to be happy with it in the end, no matter what others think of what we are wearing.

      Delete
  38. Thank you all for your lovely comments - we had a very relaxing Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I really need to get a form fitting denim jacket. Looks so good with that dress.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...