Wednesday 29 March 2017

Black Maxi Dresses, Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC Bags

I've shared my love of bright maxi dresses recently, but you can't beat a classic black maxi dress. It lets you wear colourful accessories without worrying about colours clashing.

When I bought the embellished maxi dress below I got rid of an older black maxi dress I had, but then a few months later picked up a second halter neck one in an opshop sale. While I'm not sure I need two black maxi dresses, I have been enjoying having both in my wardrobe. A black maxi dress is a neutral base that lets you wear any other colours you like.

What I wore

embellished black maxi dress, colourful silicone necklace and Rebecca Minkoff crossbody mini MAC Bag | AwayFromBlue

black maxi dress, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather | AwayFromTheBlue
SunglassesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
DressJeanswest 'Sierra' embellished black maxi dress (on sale!)
ShoesBalenciaga studded sandals in sorbet RGGH (on sale, 58% off!)
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather (on sale!)


Why I wore it:

This maxi dress always feels a little special with the embellishments on the neckline. I'm aware that if I try to 'save' it in my wardrobe for a perfect occasion it will never get worn. While it's nice to feel dressed up for something like a family photoshoot, it's also good to add a little sparkle to everyday and so I wore this out to playgroup in the morning. It was definitely overdue a wear, last being worn almost a year ago while I was pregnant! It was worn to playgroup then too as I felt it was overdue a wear, ha!

I then foolishly attempted to go out in the afternoon again, where both the boys greatly amused the people waiting in line at the post office as I tried to mail some parcels of things I'd sold on ebay. Luckily they didn't get up to too much mischief!


Last worn: Ray-Ban Wayfarer, embellished maxi dress, Balenciaga gladiator sandals, aquamarine mini MAC.

Other ways to wearembellished maxi dress for Christmas day, pink Balenciaga gladiator sandals and shorts, aquamarine mini MAC and pink vest.



More Colourful Rebecca Minkoff Mini MAC Bags:







What I wore:

black jersey halterneck maxi dress, colourful stripe printed cross body bag | AwayFromBlue

Black Maxi, Rebecca Minkoff striped coated canvas mini MAC in berry stripe | Away From The Blue
SunglassesRay-Ban new Wayfarers
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Wilma teething necklace in pale daffodil
Dress: black Jeanswest halterneck maxi dress
ShoesWittner 'Jasmarie' studded sandals
BagRebecca Minkoff striped coated canvas mini MAC in berry stripe

Why I wore it:

We had a playdate in the city so I knew a maxi dress would keep me cool and comfortable. The Queensland State Library has an area called 'The Corner' for kids which had a construction theme, perfect for Toddler T. Cooper didn't seem to like this outfit much, not wanting to be pictured near it, but I loved it. The plain black maxi dress is perfect with the printed Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag.

I find the little Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bags great for a day out with the boys - I can keep all the essentials on me while having my hands free (and the baby bag on the stroller) or even slip the bag into the baby bag if needed.

This striped mini MAC bag hasn't been worn as much as my other ones (like the aqua one above) as sometimes I find it tricky to pair with an outfit, but a plain black dress like this is perfect.


Last wornRay-Ban Wayfarer (above), black halterneck maxi dress, studded sandals, striped Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag.

Other ways to wearblack halterneck maxi dress and denim jacket, studded sandals and printed skirt, striped Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC bag.



Embellished or Halterneck Black Maxi Dresses Under $50:






How You Can Wear It:

Black maxi dresses provide an awesome backdrop for a colourful or printed bag - it really makes colours pop. A bright bag is a easy way to change up any neutral outfit, not just a LBD.



Linking up with What I Wore, Oh Hey Girl, Fashion Files, Fabulous Friday, Fun Fashion, Weekend Wear, Flashback Fashion, Friday Faves.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

31 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right about black being easy to pair with, but I never would have thought of buying a black maxi dress. In my mind they are either light or colorful.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a classic for little dresses, but it's nice to have it in a maxi length too :)

      Delete
  2. You can never o wrong with black maxi dress! It is easy to style and perfect for day and night. I have a few black maxis and one of them is similar to the second one. I really like the embellishment neckline details of the first dress, it makes it look more dressy.
    I hope you're having a great week :)

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to say I've purchased my first maxi dress of the year AND it's an all black one! I did have to have the bottom hemmed a bit (really short legs) but I do think it's going to be a huge staple for my pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yey! It will be perfect over pregnancy for you - these two were for me!

      Delete
  4. Ooh yes! I love the way you've styled both of these! The slit on the first one is such a great touch (and a nice added breeze, haha
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is a lovely dress up top. Is the embellishment beading or embroidery?

    I hope you're having a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit of both! Has some embroidery and some beads in it :)

      Delete
  6. Fun to see two different takes on a similar outfit. I love them both! I always liked your striped bag because I haven't seen another like it.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't often see printed bags, so I like this one! :)

      Delete
  7. I agree, colourful accessories can definitely make a black maxi dress pop even more with style. I like how you styled it here. Great details. <3 /Madison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Black maxi dresses are "it" pieces, which has me wondering why I don't own one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely a classic for me :) I think you'd look great in one! :)

      Delete
  9. You look lovely in your black maxis. It's always a guessing game how my boys will act when I need to run errands, haha!

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a black maxi dress and i always forget to wear it, then I'll put it on and go, why don't I wear this more often??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be easy to skip over if you think they aren't special enough!

      Delete
  11. I LOVE a classic black maxi! I bought one myself recently so this post gave me some styling tips for it! I adore your bag collection (as per usual) :]

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing! Glad I could give you some ideas :)

      Delete
  12. Mica, both of them look so good on you! I love the grecian style of both. I need to get one :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful dress! Lovely..

    Have a great day,
    -Kati
    Almost Stylish

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute, I love that striped bag!
    xo Annie
    New England Romance

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love maxi dresses... I have a maxi skirt but I am going to be purchasing a black and a purple maxi dress... I would wear it anywhere, they are comfy and pretty... you look great as always, I like the second look the best xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes maxi dresses can be worn so many places! :)

      Delete
  16. That black maxi dress is so stunning! You look so pretty! =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for joining the Fabulous Friday Link Up. I agree - a classic black maxi dress can be styled so many different ways.

    Lisa
    Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  18. A black maxi is such a great staple! Love both of these on you! That striped bag is adorable!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  19. You always wear maxi dresses effortlessly Mica. And you have made those big wooden bead necklaces your own style, always. These look great on you and the necklaces are the perfect accessories.

    P.S. Congrats on going strong with the shopping ban!

    Enjoy the weekend!

    http://eleganceandmommyhood.blogspot.com/2017/03/thursday-moda-57-blush-pink-and-spring.html


    Ada =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are awesome silicone teething necklaces :)

      Delete
  20. Loving the dresses! You can never go wrong with a black maxi dress. Thank you for linking up with Weekend Wear

    xo
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you all for your sweet comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...