Wednesday 26 July 2017

2 Ways to Add Colourful Accessories to Dresses in Winter

When I have a rare child-free day to myself I like to wear a dress. While I've worn dresses in the past with the boys, they aren't always a practical choice when chasing after two toddlers. It was good to have a reason to get these dresses out again. It's been a long time (almost 2 years!) since I've worn both of them as they aren't breastfeeding friendly.

Winter weather doesn't put me off of wearing dresses - fleece lined tights, ankle boots and a cosy cardigan or leather jacket keep me warm. While winter outfits can look a little monochromatic with all the neutral layers together, I've added a different colourful accessory to each outfit.

What I wore:


ScarfMarc by Marc Jacobs bright blue stole
DressAsos grey skater dress
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagBalenciaga part time in black 2010 with SGH

Why I wore it:

I loved this outfit. The cobalt blue scarf was the perfect pop of colour with the monochrome outfit. Kept me warm on the cold morning too.

I had a physio appointment, and I find wearing a dress with leggings under it works best for all the exercises. (I just swapped the fleecy tights for leggings when I got there). I wasn't sure how I was going to meet the 'tied at waist' style challenge on Instagram and figured I could wear this dress with a belt. After almost 2 years since it was last worn, it was time to get it out my wardrobe! Changed my mind when I remembered I had this cosy cardigan with a belt, perfect for the challenge. It kept me warm as I rushed around between appointments while my mother in law stayed home with the boys.

I had to have a procedure at the dentist so was feeling a bit sore in the afternoon, it was nice to stay snuggled up in this cardigan.


Last worn: black belted cardigan, cobalt blue scarf, grey skater dress, black ankle boots, Balenciaga Part Time bag.

Other ways to wearblack belted cardigan and skinny jeans, cobalt blue scarf and stripes, grey skater dress in summer, black ankle boots and jeans, Balenciaga Part Time bag with pink tank.

Perfect for pregnancy: cardigan in first trimester, skater dress in second trimester, ankle boots for pregnancy reveal, part time bag and maternity pencil skirt.



More Blue Blanket Scarves Under $50:









What I wore:


NecklaceUniquely Made with Love Sea Change necklace
DressAtmos&Here navy stripe tee dress
ShoesAsos Cleo leather boots in tan
BagBalenciaga Day bag in 2005 magenta (20% off with code 'REAL')

Why I wore it:

Although I was feeling under the weather, I still had to get up and get dressed for an appointment so I pulled on one of my old favourite dresses. I wore this so much the year I got it, but pregnancies and breastfeeding has stopped it being worn recently. Like I mentioned on Instagram, I was so happy to unbox this when I got all my winter clothes out of storage.

Even though I wasn't feeling the best, I did love wearing this dress again. Always good to get old favourites out! The magenta Balenciaga day bag was a great cheerful and colourful pop against the navy and black too.


Last worn: printed leather jacket, striped tee dress, tan boots, Balenciaga magenta day bag.

Other ways to wearprinted leather jacket worn 30 ways, striped tee dress and Converse, tan boots and skinny jeans, Balenciaga magenta day bag and denim shorts.

Perfect for pregnancy: striped dress and small second trimester bump, magenta Balenciaga bag and maternity shorts.




More Pink Bags Under $50:







How You Can Wear It:

You can add a little colour to a monochromatic outfit with a bright accessory. Winter is a good time to experiment with this - you can swap out any one of your neutral layers for a pop of colour. In the first outfit I added colour to a monochrome outfit with a bright cobalt scarf. In the second outfit, I was scarf-less but the bright magenta bag was the perfect pop against all of the black and navy.

Layer up your dresses and wear them all year! A cosy cardigan, scarf or leather jacket with boots and tights makes dresses work even in winter.



Linking up with Fun Fashion, Fabulous Friday, Passion For Fashion, Weekend Wear, Friday Favourites.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

28 comments:

  1. I love grey dresses, grey pairs nicely with all colours, my favourite combo is grey with pink and grey with yellow!!

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving these, Mica! That pink bag is so cute and I LOVE Balenciaga!!!!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pops of color, especially the blue scarf. http://www.mrsqbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you can add in bright colors this way, Mici!!
    The pink bag is my fave!!
    XOXO
    Jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bright accessories are my favourites!

      Delete
  5. Love both of these dresses! Always nice to bring out pieces you haven't worn in a while :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that skater dress on you - it's so cute and such a versatile piece. Sorry to hear of your dental woes - still going through mine, sigh. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful looks - both of them! I'm a big fan of layering dresses with long cardies and boots.
    Christina ♥ https://caliope-couture.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love infusing color into my look through accessories. It's so easy!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't great to have your dresses back in rotation ?
    I think that both examples are perfect to show case how to add colour to our looks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The accessory pop is perfect with your monochromatic looks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pop of colour really makes a difference! Love your pink bag.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that cobalt scarf, it's the perfect pop of colour! Xx

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand why you are happy that now you are able to wear dresses again and why you love both of the looks! The blue scarf as add for the first look was a fantastic choice and I like also your dress in the second outfit what has been your favourite!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you're feeling better now Mica! These dresses are great and I love how you styled both of them. I'm really missing my dresses! I only have a couple that are breastfeeding/pumping-friendly so I rarely wear them. I can't wait to get them back in the rotation!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so good to have them back again! A nice way to celebrate the end of the breastfeeding journey!

      Delete
  15. I wear dresses all year round too. The key is layering properly like you showcased in both of your outfits. Great job with styling.
    LaToya
    www.toyastales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love wearing dresses and skirts with leggings in the Fall/Winter Mica. Both of you're outfits look so good. Those boots and booties look great with both outfits.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everytime you have new post, I always anticipate the bag you're wearing. I love your collection! :)

    Angelie // Gem in Nueva Ecija: Minalungao National Park

    ReplyDelete
  18. both ideas are great and totally handy! I love both bright contacting bag and scarves1

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for getting to wear some of your favorite dresses again! I love how you layered them. Your bright accessories are perfect! Sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  20. love scarfs for the winter! super cute outfits!

    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great ideas ;)

    https://marchhappythoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like both outfits but the first one caught me! I like the color blue, gray and black in one outfit! So classy :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your blue scarf, the color easily pops off of your black outfit.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving the layering techniques here Mica. I especially love the outfit with the leather jacket, you just pull that off so well. That pop of colour with the bag is perfect!

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love both dresses, I could see your excitement when you found them again. A love the way you look with a motorcycle jacket... so sassy!!
    Thanks for linking up with Weekend Wear

    xo
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks all for your lovely comments - I do adore bright accessories! Especially bags ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...