Friday 22 August 2014

Wearing Maxi Dresses in Winter: with Scarves and Cardis

Here's what I wore to have lunch and spend the day with family:
SunglassesRayban new Wayfarers
JacketJeanswest Dana drape knit cardi in Boysenberry
DressJeanswest 'Chantelle' crochet detail blue printed maxi dress
BeltAsos metal keeper skinny waist belt in bright blue
ShoesAcne pistol boots in "skin"


Strange to see this maxi dress without the baby bump! I bought it in my third trimester when I felt I was running out of pretty dresses to wear, knowing I'd be able to wear it post-pregnancy as well. It's got gorgeous lace detail on the back, but as it's winter I covered it up with a cardi and added some boots to keep warm.

I first tried the belted jacket and maxi dress combo during my pregnancy, and I really liked it. Thought it would be a good way to keep cosy and look nice for spending the day with the in-laws. We had lunch and Baby T got the chance to meet some more of his relatives from out of state, it was a lovely day. Picked this cardigan to wear over my other ones as I really like purple and blue together, and the way the little waterfall drape looks with the maxi dress.


Last wornwaterfall cardi, skinny beltprinted maxi dress, Acne Pistol boots.



Here's what I wore to go to my new parent group:
Jacket: Bubblegum denim jacket
ScarfSeed Heritage Paisley print snood
DressMEV Havana maxi dress C/O Zibibo
BeltAsos skinny pale yellow belt
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs two tone flats in blush and black
BagMarc by Marc Jacobs pretty nylon Eliz-A-Baby bag


I'm glad I can still wear this maternity maxi dress post-baby! It was one of my favourite maternity pieces, and is a nursing dress too, really practical. I did worry that it might be a little too long on my petite frame without the belly holding it up a bit, but belted it's still a nice floor-skimming length.

I've been wanting to wear the dress and denim jacket together for a while. It's also the perfect piece for the last day of the Style and Shenanigans texture challenge. Minus the snood, this was the outfit I had planned out to wear the evening before I unexpectedly went into labour. I woke up early in the morning, feeling funny. When DH got up I was sitting on the end of the bed breathing through a contraction and as soon as I could I said "I think I'm in labour!". Instead of the pretty dress I'd laid out, I put on my ninja baby tee (for its last wear!) and some trackie dacks to wait it out at home a bit longer until it was time to head to the hospital. Changed into a hospital gown soon after arriving there, and baby was born shortly after! It was so wonderful to meet him, he was so tiny and perfect!

This is the second wear of the snood since I bought it, so as I've done with all my July purchases, the final verdict:
I like it! I've never really liked the idea of a snood before, it seems less versatile than a scarf and I was always worried the style would overwhelm me, being short. Trying it on in store helped to make sure it was a purchase that looked good on me and one that I'd wear. An impulse buy I didn't need to make (I have a LOT of scarves) but one I'll get lots of use from. Especially now as I'm favouring soft scarves instead of necklaces baby could get tangled in.


Last worn: denim jacket, paisley print snoodskinny beltmaternity maxi dress, cap toe flats.



Lining up with Style and Shenanigans, Friday's Fab Favourites, Passion for Fashion, Fashion Item Friday, Casual Friday today.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : Youtube

42 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colour pink! Snoods have grown on me over the years, especially good for autumn/winter months, I stay wrapped up usually with a sarf. You look lovely in both outfits!
    /Madison xo
    Afternoon Tea Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that first look! Hope bub and mother's group is going well. Great winter gear but I am just hanging out for it to get warmer

    Pixelhazard | Bright Green Laces |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to warmer spring weather too! I do enjoy layering with baby though - means if one layer gets hit by baby, I still have something left to wear haha!

      Delete
  3. Love both outfits especially the first one. You look lovely in jewel tones like cobalt, magenta, fuchsia, royal blue and emerald. The baby stroller suits you, mamma.

    Enjoy the weekend Mica!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice look and you look great after having your baby.
    Love

    www.agirlinafrica.com

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maxis are great transitional pieces! Thanks so much for linking up for Passion For Fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seriously amaze me seeing you wear the same thing during and after pregnancy. I hope I can wear a regular dress in my third trimester!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps having lots of stretchy/maxi dresses in my wardrobe I think! Was so pleased I only had to buy a handful of maternity pieces!

      Delete
  7. You're giving me some great ideas how to transition my summer maxis - Thanks, Mica!

    Jennie
    http://www.apocketfulofpolkadots.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  8. Both maxi dresses are fabulous. The colors just pop out and I like how you paired the second one with a denim jacket. Great combo! :)
    Love,
    Rathana http://fabfashionaire.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, keeps you so much warmer huh? I have a high thermostat so I can't begin to wear top to bottom coverage. It is not your internet, it is my dunce-doing. I didn't download those pics. They are there now if you wouldn't mind returning and seeing 4 pics with a whole lot of pink in them. lol

    Thanks for your loyalty to Fashion item Friday!!!♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I thought it was my computer not loading your pictures, how funny!

      Delete
  10. I really like this idea of adding a jacket and a scarf to maxi dresses to make them more appropriate for colder weather! You look so pretty as usual Mica, glad to see you are doing well :)

    www.thejoyoffashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The maxi dress with the long pink cardi is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute way to style a summer maxi for cooler months! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huzzah for maxi dresses - even in the colder weather! I'm inspired to do the same now :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I have so many maxis it makes sense to wear them year round :)
      So glad I could give you some inspiration! :)

      Delete
  14. I have always love the high belting look. I think you are very smart buying pieces that can transition from pregnancy through post-pregnancy. Elastic for the win! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I don't think I really appreciated the benefits of the elasticated items in my wardrobe until pregnancy. They are wonderful! :)

      Delete
  15. I think that Chantelle model dress fits you just as beautiful now as it did with the baby bump.
    I like to see how you dress up to go to these meetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was odd wearing it for the first time without the baby belly! :)

      There are so many stylish ladies at the mothers group meetings, it's fun to see what everyone is wearing :)

      Delete
  16. Cute look! Love both combos!

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah it is great today that women are forced to wear "maternity" clothes. And can basically wear regular clothes. Love the colors that you chose.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I was lucky to have a lot of pieces in my wardrobe already that worked for pregnancy :)

      Delete
  18. I am loving this color combination Mica!!! Purple and blue looks so good together. Love the denim also! Beautiful texture mixing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely love both outfits. The color combination of the first outfit is stunning

    Made in Mauve

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both beautiful. The first picture is one of my favourite ever outfits of yours. It is a gorgeous combo with those colours together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love purple and blue together - it's a great colour combination! :)

      Delete
  21. I wish I could pull off maxi dresses as well as you! Both these outfits are lovely! :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you definitely could! If a shortie like me can, no reason you wouldn't be able to! :)

      Delete
  22. the blue dress is stunning! adore!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maxi dresses and denim jackets - a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you look so nice!
    http://zyciowa-salatka.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. These colors look so nice together. And I love the subtle print in your first dress!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how you layered to wear the maxi dresses in the winter! These outfits are styled so perfectly, I LOVE them :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're not the only one loving maxi dresses! I just picked up another one myself!

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
  28. loving the purple/fuschia color in both outfits!!! loving maxis on you too! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  29. the colour combo here is great, it's like a reverse outfit! i love the story about the pink dress and the baby ninja tee - and it might not be the last time if you save it for the next... :) x

    steph / absolutely-fuzzy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I didn't realise that at first, it is a complete reverse of the colours! :) I am saving the baby ninja tee, but one little baby is enough for me at the moment, we will see...haha!

      Delete
  30. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...