Monday 23 October 2017

Two Ways to Wear Grey Marle Jersey Pencil Skirt: Corporate and SAHM Style

While I was on maternity leave with toddler T, I bought this grey jersey pencil skirt. Reasoning I'd be glad I did when I returned to work months later. It's never been the perfect piece I've thought it would be when I bought it though.
It's pieces like this that make me stick to my 'wear it twice in the month I buy it rule' to stop buying things I think will be perfect for later, and just buy pieces that are perfect for my life right now.

With my return to work, it was an opportunity to see this pencil skirt again when I unboxed all my workwear and make the decision if it was a keeper or a mistake to buy. I wore it two different ways to really test it out.

What I wore: 

@awayfromblue instagram spring office outfit jersey pencil skirt blazer button up tank blue MAB tote

cream blazer, jersey marle pencil skirt and floral button up tank for the office navy tote bag | AwayFromBlue

Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy | AwayFromTheBlue
Necklace: Diva red stone necklace
TopRiver Island floral print sleeveless shirt
SkirtAtmos&Here grey marle jersey pencil skirt (also available in black or stripes)
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs suede flats in red
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy (on sale in pinkor in white)
NailsOPI This Cost Me a Mint

Why I wore it:

First time I wore this skirt to the office I worried at one point that the jersey fabric was too casual. Since then, I've tried to make it a little formal each time I've worn it. The style challenge for the day was 'Starts With B' so a big blue bag, a button up tank and a blazer made this jersey pencil skirt perfectly formal enough for my business casual office. I didn't worry at all about this looking too casual. Not sure if it was the collared top and blazer or the fact that I'm in a new area after returning from leave where my customers are located off-site and I no longer interact with them in person, so I can be more casual.

I added the red necklace at the last moment. I'd tried on a longer blue one that morning too but I think the red necklace just makes the outfit. The red suede shoes were fun to wear too. I find bright shoes harder to wear than bright bags so these don't get worn often. They are so cute though, I keep them around.

I really liked this outfit. I did have hard time getting a photo that morning without the sun in my eye, that was the only mild annoyance!


Last worn: cream blazer, floral button up tankgrey pencil skirt, red suede ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote.

Other ways to wearcream blazer and printed dress, floral button up tank and maxi skirtgrey pencil skirt over a dressred suede ballet flats and a little black dress, Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote and fit and flare dress.

Perfect for pregnancy: cream blazer in the first trimester, skirt in third trimester, red ballet flats and hidden second trimester bump, MAB Tote and wrap dress in third trimester.



Jersey Pencil Skirts Under $50:







What I wore:

navy kimono, striped tank, grey marle jersey pencil skirt and Converse, casual SAHM Style | Away From Blue

Roie Designs waxed leather cream howlite beaded wrap bracelet, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine | Away From The Blue

@awayfromblue instagram casual pencil skirt, stripe tank and kimono with Converse Chucks
JacketNew Look Petite print kimono
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
TopJeanswest 'Josie' striped back strap tank
Skirt: Atmos&Here grey marle jersey pencil skirt (also available in black or stripes)
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in white
Bracelets: the usual plus Roie Designs waxed leather cream howlite beaded wrap bracelet
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAC in aquamarine with python embossed leather (on sale!)
NailsOPI This Cost Me a Mint

Why I wore it:

The very first time I wore this skirt I attempted to wear it casually and I didn't really feel comfortable with the resulting outfit. This time around, I wore it again for a style challenge but I actually really loved the resulting outfit. It was just perfect for my day off. I spent it taking Baby Boy to a few appointments that sadly didn't go as well as I expected but at least I liked my outfit.

The style challenge for the day was 'Starts With D', so I tried to dress down this skirt. By leaving the tank untucked, wearing Converse and adding the kimono, I think I made the pencil skirt perfectly casual. It was cool and comfortable for an extremely hot day too.

When I unpacked this skirt at the end of my maternity leave I had planned to give it the 'one last wear' test before I got rid of it, but it's definitely staying in my wardrobe, as I felt so happy in it in both these outfits.


Last worn: navy kimono, stripe tank, grey marle pencil skirt (above), Converse, Rebecca Minkoff aqua mini MAC bag.

Other ways to wearnavy kimono and denim shorts, stripe tank and leopard printgrey pencil skirt and winter layersConverse and colourful jeans, Rebecca Minkoff aqua mini MAC bag and maxi dress.

Perfect for pregnancy: stripe tank in second trimestergrey pencil skirt and hidden early baby bumpConverse and maternity shorts, mini MAC in second trimester





Grey Marle Pencil Skirts Under $50:








How You Can Wear It:


A jersey pencil skirt is extremely comfortable, and can be dressed up or down depending on what you wear it with. Button ups and blazers are good way to make it more formal for work, and you can dress it down with untucked loose layers and Converse for the weekend or your day off.


Linking up with On Trend, Trend Spin, Confident Twosday, Turning Heads, Style Sessions, What I Wore, Oh Hey Girl, Style on the Daily, Fashion Frenzy.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

61 comments:

  1. love the teal bag!!
    kisses from the sandpit ❤︎
    www.mahryska.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love this!! You style a pencil skirt in two completely different ways, and it worked out perfectly! Great job!!!

    http://justohana.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the outfit.

    www.pink-purpledots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer the office look out of the too, but I am amazed how versatile it actually is. Still I don't tend to wear many skirts when I am at home, I feel like I can't nove quite as good in them as I can in trousers.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpaging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I tried the pencil skirt at home when Toddler T was a baby and it felt too restrictive, I much liked it this time around with them being bigger! :)

      Delete
  5. I like both outfits, Mica! I never new a grey pencil skirt could be so versatile! I recently bought a similar grey pencil skirt actually that I haven't worn yet. Good to know I can dress it up or down! XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some outfit ideas! :)

      Delete
  6. I love how you styled the skirt in both outfits! So cool that this piece is great for work and also for casual looks. Definitely a keeper. And love the red shoes and necklace too:) Great way to add colour IMO.
    Hope you're having a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I love the pretty red and blue print in the first blouse and how perfectly it pairs with your handbag! And what a perfect neutral skirt!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think its a great skirt Mica, definitely not too casual for the office, that first outfit was absolutely fab! Xx

    Kez | acaciasdreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you styled that skirt from casual to classy, I love the first look, that blue bag is stunning :)
    Sonia
    www.soniaaicha.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mica! I love both looks! It's always wonderful when you have an item that's very versatile. You accessorized beautifully as well! I pray you have a blessed week!

    Tiff
    Http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love skirts like this. I think you styled it beautifully. I especially love the first look. Have a great start to your week. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so chic! Love how you styled the blazer!!
    Happy Monday, babe!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have quite a few pencil skirts but none that are jersey! I need to get one for casual outfits!

    By Lauren M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice option for more casual outfits! :)

      Delete
  14. I like how you dressed it up in the first look. Definitely looks office appropriate to me. It's great styled more casually in the second look too.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the ways you styled this skirt! That tote bag is so chic.

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous outfits! i love how the striped blouse works with that beautiful aqua handbag. so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh! I love the print of that first blouse! and that's definitely a great skirt! Glad you're keeping it.
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it was a great find! The material looks comfy and it looks like such a versatile piece, too; I love how you've dressed it up for work and down for a day of running errands and spending time with the little ones. Thanks for sharing and I hope you're having a great start to your week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    THE STYLE CONTOUR

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never owned a pencil skirt, but I also never wear skirts so it's not surprising. I love how simple and basic your skirt is--easy to mix and match for new outfits! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them for office outfits, but I'm just starting to wear them casually too! :)

      Delete
  20. This skirt is really versatile, and I loved the office look. I don't think I would have tried a more formal look with skirt, but it looked great.

    Jennifer | Mrs Q Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like both! I love the color combinations you picked. Lovely!

    Alina
    www.eclecticalu.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  22. My fave is the option for work. I have to say it was a wise decision to keep it. I think its a great item to have by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really like that skirt, I'm glad you're keeping it. You're proving that it can be dressed up or down--both looks really work! I'd really like to add a knit pencil skirt to my wardrobe--mine are all too dressy for my current life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a nice, more dressed-down option! :)

      Delete
  24. Both outfits are terrific, Mica. I like how you dressed the skirt up for work (the red accents are stellar!), and it transitions nicely into casual for the bottom outfit. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes to keeping the skirt, you look amazing in it and it highlights your figure well! And I also love how versatile it is, you can wear it to work and for more casual occasions.

    Shireen⎜Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think a grey pencil skirt is such a great color and classic skirt! Love the looks and how it's styled for work and for a more casual day!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  27. Both looks are pretty! I never even considered dressing up a marled knit skirt like that. I think I will try that one day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love both ways, but the corporate one looks really sleek! Wishing you a great week ahead. xx

    Andreea,
    http://couturezilla.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love a piece that can be worn for work or everyday! What a cute skirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the grey skirt on you! It looks really polished! Great tote too!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  31. Buying things I think will be good for some far off future is definitely one of my biggest shopping problems. But I really love this skirt on you, and I'm impressed at how easily you were able to dress it up and down. I really love the blouse you paired it with for the office as well.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm glad I have been getting more of a handle on it now with my 'wear twice in the month I buy it' rule!

      Delete
  32. Oh that's a great working outfit! I'm currently still on mat leave, but I love pencil skirts! They make everything look so chic and put together! You look so well put together! As always, I love your style :) And I didn't notice the sun glare in your eyes in the photo at all!

    www.petiteandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm glad you gave this piece another chance! I love the way you dressed it up and down. The work outfit you created is so cute! I love the red necklace and flats you added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm glad I kept it and gave it another go! :)

      Delete
  34. Yes love this professional look :D

    xx Sofia | SOFIAADOT

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so bad at wearing the pencil skirt lol but you pull it off so well!


    http://www.thequinoxfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love how you styled it! you look great and that skirt is definitely a keeper! Happy week dear!

    www.plogstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. This works well both ways, especially the office look. You'll get plenty of use from this I'm sure. x Have a super week Mica. x Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love how this was a maternity-wear purchase that has gone on to be a fixture in your wardrobe - handy! You've definitely convinced me to give a jersey pencil skirt a go sometime; I've only ever tried jersey maxi skirts. Have a lovely week!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my maxi skirts too, but I'm glad I have this pencil skirt now! :)

      Delete
  39. Your outfits are always so flawless, I'm honestly in love every time I come back to your blog haha. I think that having a statement colour like with the bag is always nice, and complements the whole outfit. You look amazing!

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  40. You look too cute! Your outfits are always on point!

    Liz
    www.lizzieinlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I think it was an excellent purchase Mica because you can dress that skirt up or down. It's also a great neutral that you can pair with so many things.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Both outfits look really nice! I'm glad you are getting a good use out of that pencil skirt, I hate having things in my closet that I never wear.

    http://www.memoriesofthepacific.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I really like that skirt! I love how it looks both dressed up and down. I think I need to remember to try that with some of my clothes too, rather than having them as 'just' work clothes.

    Also I think only buying things for right now is very wise. I'm often tempted to buy things for just in case, and of course those are the things that are never quite right when the time comes. I am going to stop doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am enjoying my purchases a lot more when I wear them right away! It's good to get more wear from my wardrobe and wear my work pieces outside the office too :)

      Delete
  44. I love how versatile this skirt it! I feel like I'd love wearing it as a casual look, it's so cute and comfy!

    http://myclusterofthoughts.com/

    ReplyDelete
  45. You look amazing in both outfits! Love how yoy styled the second look!!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: PFW STREET STYLE OCTOBER II

    ReplyDelete
  46. The skirt is so versatile! I think how you styled it was perfect for work, but I do like the casual outfit - stripes are always a win for me! Sadly I couldn't find a skirt like this in my thrifting adventures but it would have been perfect for this pregnancy.

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed you find something similar soon! :)

      Delete
  47. These are both great looks, but I am really loving the first one. Your floral top is so pretty and works wonderfully well with your blazer and skirt. You did a great job of making the skirt look professional.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love both ways with the jacket , as i am a fan of the blazer with structure, and the casual and fun way with your blue kimono.. of course i love both bags, especially the teal blue!
    thanks for linking!
    jess xx
    www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love the first one! I think this looks really chic as a smart look!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you all for your kind comments! So glad I could give you some ideas and inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...