Friday 29 May 2015

Bright Tops and Different Denim - Skinny Jeans and Flares and May Purchases

A wrap-up of my May purchases and the second outfits with a couple of my April purchases, so some purchase reviews as well. I enjoy doing these. Wearing things twice in a month makes me think seriously about ways I can wear them before I buy, and reviewing how successful or unsuccessful I was at buying something I want to reach for in my wardrobe again and again is really giving me things to think about when I'm shopping.
I hope you're enjoying following along with my progress too! I recently did an interview with JORD watches where I talked about my goals and my shopping habits a little more. As well as gushing about baby T....

First up, May's purchases!



I planned to just get the handbag, but there were a few other things I couldn't resist! The 'fill a bag for $2' sale at the local op-shop (thrift store) means I have lots of new wardrobe additions!


And now, what I've been wearing.

What I wore:


SunglassesRayban new Wayfarers
Earrings: silver bird charm earrings (competition prize)
NecklaceTai gold alphabet necklace layered with Dogeared 3 Wishes stardust bead necklace and Nibbly Bits Abacus necklace in pop
Shirt: Jeanswest Helene sleeveless textured shirt in berry (new purchase)
JeansJeanswest prima denim super skinny jeans in absolute black
ShoesAsos 'five star' leather sandals
Bracelets: the usual plus Disney Couture Winnie the Pooh bangle and silver tree charm bracelet (competition prize)
BagBalenciaga part time in black 2010 with SGH

Why I wore it:

I'm so pleased to have this shirt at last! It's a new purchase and I have been looking forward to wearing it. A few months ago I tried it on in-store, and although it was 25% off, I decided to leave it and wait for a 40% off sale. Of course when the next 40% off sale rolled around, the top was sold out in my size online and in the couple of Jeanswest stores I checked. I was extremely pleased to see the last one in my size on the sale rack in the Brisbane city store when I went in to return something from an online order and decided to have a browse. I knew I had to have it! We were out for most of the day - lunch with my family and then dinner with DH's family, and this shirt was perfect. I just added a cardigan when we went out for dinner in the evening.
The rest of my outfit was coordinated with my sister for the 'dynamic duo' style challenge from the Fox in Flats style dare, with the black pants and Balenciaga bag.

Second time I've worn the black skinny jeans, so my purchase review:

I really like these! Just as much as the blue pair I have. I got these in the Jeanswest 40% off sale, and another pair of the regular skinnies. I wanted to replace my old black skinny jeans as I wasn't thrilled with the fit, so I donated them. I've been trying to be more critical and get rid of those jeans I have that just aren't right for me to reduce the size of my denim collection. Since that left me with no black denim in my wardrobe, I ordered two pairs to make my mind up between them.
I did think that it wouldn't make sense to have both a black and a blue pair of the prima denim jeans, both with the same zip detail...but these are the perfect length for me and the other black jeans I ordered I would have had to have taken up for my petite frame. So I decided to keep these instead of the plain ones, and I'm glad I did. I really like the prima denim range!


Last worn: Ray-ban Wayfarersskinny jeans, leather sandals, Balenciaga part time bag. First time I've worn the top as it is a new purchase.

Other ways to wear: skinny jeans with pinstripe button downleather sandals with denim shorts, Balenciaga part time with neutral outfits (and a baby bump!).









What I wore:


70s inspired paisley print empire waist blouse Converse chucks flared jeans

Away From Blue Rebecca Minkoff aquamarine mini MAC bag
TopFrench Connection black paisley printed empire top (with thrifted Cotton On yellow tank underneath)
JeansJeanswest 'spoylt' flared jeans
ShoesConverse Chuck Taylor All Star low in black
BagRebecca Minkoff mini MAC with python embossed leather in aquamarine

Why I wore it:

This was a nice casual outfit for working from home and doing the day care drop off/pick up. I rediscovered this top when pregnant. Although I don't wear it much now, I used to wear it a lot. It never really looks great in pictures but I like wearing it so it is staying in my wardrobe.

The style challenge for the day was '70's situation' so like last time the 70's was a theme, I wore my flared jeans. Unlike the last time I wore these jeans, I enjoyed wearing them. Although the hem was really long worn with Converse and I did worry I'd trip up when holding baby T! I've taken the flares to the tailor now, I wear flats unless I'm in the office and so it doesn't make sense to keep these long enough to wear with heels, they will never get worn unless I shorten them.

It's the second time I've worn this top, so my purchase review:
I admit I was struggling to find a way to wear this tank twice within a month of buying it. It wouldn't have been so difficult if I had bought it earlier in the year when it was warmer. I bought it just as the weather started to cool, so layering it under tops is pretty much the only way I'll be able to wear it for the next few months of autumn and winter.
In saying that though, I'm glad I bought it, the yellow colour is so cheerful! I just hope it doesn't meet the same fate as all my other bright tanks that don't really get worn often. Perhaps buying something I already have a lot of wasn't a good idea, even if it is a really nice colour. I need to think a little harder about what I buy and be sure I really will wear it, not just think I'll wear it.


Last worn: paisley print empire waist top, yellow tank, flared jeans, Converse Chucks, Rebecca Minkoff mini MAC.

Other ways to wear: printed empire waist top with skinny jeans, flared jeans with heels, mini MAC with a maxi dress.





Linking up with Fab Favourites, Casual Friday, Passion for Fashion, Budgeting Bloggers, Shoe and Tell today.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

44 comments:

  1. I really like both of the blouses you worn (and the corresponding outfits). I was just thinking I need a few nice blouses in one colour, I only have floral ones.

    There is something wonderfully relaxed about the second look...that colourful top (blouse) has a lovely boho vibe to it and it matched fantastically well with those jeans and converse...you look adorable in both looks!

    so great you keep track of what you both in May and April...I imagine it really helps with developing the right shopping strategies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely boohoo piece that top, I just need to wear it more often! It has many happy memories attached :)
      I think a nice plain top is good to have now and then, although printed pieces are always pretty! Like you I have a lot of prints, not a lot of plain pieces.

      Delete
  2. That purse oh my good! You've bought so many lovely cute things. I haven't bought any new clothing for so long. Saving up for Australia! (or only buying necessary things ha)

    XO Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a goal to save towards, makes shopping and spending less attractive!

      Delete
  3. Love the second look, very colorful and those colors suit u so well. Have a lovely weekend Mica :)

    Regards,

    www.agirlinafrica.com

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got so many cute things this month! I love that berry tank! You styled it perfectly with the black skinnies!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the new berry top! Such a great buy! And wow fill a bag for $2 sale! That's pretty darn awesome! :D
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good sale! And they had loads of cute baby clothes....the majority of my bag was things for baby, even though I got a lot myself, haha!

      Delete
  6. The necklace in the first outfit is so different but I love it! The print of the second shirt is also very nice! :)

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a teething necklace - great for when I know I'll be sitting in one place with baby (like at a restaurant) as he loves to gnaw on it!

      Delete
  7. You look great in both skinnies and flares! Love your outfits, they are too cute! That Rebecca Minkoff bag though, what a stunner!

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOTALLY agree! I love how big it is! Understand you passion for your beautiful Jeanswest top, Mica! It looks adorable on you!! Amazing accessoires here! Really cool how you've added Converse to your 70s inspired look, dear! Love your attitude when it comes to wardrobe detox! Very inspiring! :)

      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ira! Glad I could inspire you!

      Delete
  8. I always think you look so great in skinny jeans! I love those nude sandals too. Looks like you got some great things. Hard to resist a $2 fill the bag sale!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your PT bag is so slouchy like my 2011 Anthra City! Don't you just love a good old nice all leather balenciaga bag! <3 They do get better with age (and yes, I will keep my plum RM, although the leather on that is not as nice and thick like the Bal so it doesn't age as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think your RM MAM has great leather though! Balenciaga leather is beautiful too, but I'm loving how my MAM is aging and wearing! :)

      Delete
  10. Love that top! I looks sort of Crepe shell material? I love that particular material because it doesn't cling. I hate hate hate clothing that clings to my body. I watched your video this morning while I got ready. It will be so funny if a photo of you wearing that exact dress resurfaces. haha

    I have to admit I would be terrible at a 70's themed day. I can't wear flared jeans. I have very small legs and they just disappear. It's awkward. haha You pull it off quite nicely!

    Have a lovely weekend Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's viscose, so it' doesn't cling! Perfect for a mummy body ;)
      I am going to have a look through the old photo albums at my parents (It was pre-widely available digital camera days!) next time I'm there and see if I can find a photo! I'm short so I don't think flares are the greatest on me either...but I do like them as a change from skinny jeans now and then!

      Delete
  11. Great finds this month! I really like the berry top you got. It's such a lovely color and will layer well underneath a blazer or cardigan for cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always adored bright colours like these, Mica! Great picks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how your looks are always so simple, casual yet stylish! Loving you in skinnies, but you're rocking the flares, too!

    May x • http://themayden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your outfits Mica specially the first one because pink and black are such a cool combination <3

    www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi lovely, many great finds and I love you casual chic looks, that balenciaga bag is dreamy!! xx
    Glamoury Armory Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful! I love that necklace in this first look! :)

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  17. I especially love the new wayfarers in your outfit roundup today. Mica!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. So in love with the necklace in your first look xx
    Garland Girl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these vibrant color tops. they look gorgeous, especially the first one.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. both beautiful outfits but I like the first one more :)

    STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love your red blouse! It's so easy and versatile-- perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love a pop of turquoise in that second outfit! Chic but casual and comfy outfit. Those are my favorites!

    Paulina

    shenanigan-ska.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks all for your kind comments - and observations on the teething necklace in my first outfit! It's pretty, but great for keeping a teething baby amused too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your closet update posts and your videos. You have a super sweet voice. That first outfit is so cute. Burgundy looks great on you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can I just say how amazing that red shirt is on you. I love the colour and the fit on you. Last week I went on a bit of a spree since the cold weather has come in abruptly. I need to clear out my own wardrobe now and make room for these new additions. I think I'll donate them this time round.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selling old clothes on ebay can be a lot more hassle that it's worth sometimes, donating is a good way to go! I end up donating most of mine.

      Delete
  26. Love both of the outfits and the green paisley maxi dress. I've gotten myself a new maxi dress as well recently, love wearing them in summer. And I like the idea of trying to wear new purchases twice within a short time after buying them, I might have to adopt that one from you.

    Have a nice week!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to adopt that idea! I hope it helps you! :)

      Delete
  27. Love the outfits :) Looks great on you :) The green maxi is so amazing :)

    http://lovelyattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great outfits. I'm still salivating over your new bag! it is just GORGEOUS.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm having major bag envy on all three bags! That Rebecca Minkoff tote is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like the garments you picked up in May. They're versatile pieces… and OMG at the 2.00 a bag ?!?!? I would have gone insane….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes I was trying so hard to only pick up things I thought I'd get wear and use from, it was a very tempting sale! I got sooo many clothes for baby T too, you can fit a lot of baby clothes in a bag ;)

      Delete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...