Friday 22 December 2017

Print Mixing: Floral Kimono With Stripes and Polka Dots Foil Print Tees

I love this floral kimono, and I've been wearing it a little more than usual lately to meet a challenge I set myself at the start of the year to wear more pieces in my wardrobe 30 times.

As I recently got two new foil print tees, I took the chance to wear it with them for a little bit of print mixing: floral with stripes and polka dots. It helped me hit 30 wears of the kimono too!



What I wore:

Somedays Lovin Yakuza print kimono mixing stripe foil jeanswest tee denim shorts | away from the blue

denim shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey with silver hardware | away from the blue

awayfromblue instagram summer shorts outfit print mixing foil stripe tee floral kimono
JacketSomedays Lovin' Yakuza print kimono
TeeJeanswest Anika foil stripe tee in white and silver
ShortsJeanswest Sara distressed hot short
ShoesWittner 'Jasmarie' studded sandals
BagRebecca Minkoff Love cross body bag in grey

Why I wore it:

I've worn this floral kimono with stripes before - stripes are my go-to for print mixing as they really go with everything! When I got this striped tee in the Jeanswest sale I knew I'd wear it with this kimono, i think the grey of the kimono and the silver foil stripes go together nicely. With the busy print mixing on top, I stuck with a neutral pair of shorts on the bottom - another Jeanswest sale purchase! I continued on the grey and silver theme with the grey Rebecca Minkoff love bag with silver hardware. I really liked how this outfit came together, perfect for a quiet Saturday running a few errands.


Last worn: floral kimono, black denim shorts, studded sandals, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag. First time I've worn the striped tee on the blog as it's a recent purchase.

Other ways to wearfloral kimono worn 30 ways, stripe tee, black denim shorts and burgundy tee, studded sandals and denim shorts, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag and boho dress.

Perfect for pregnancy: kimono and maxi skirt in second trimesterstudded sandals in second trimester, Rebecca Minkoff Love bag in third trimester.



Floral Kimonos Under $50:








What I wore:

print mixing summer outfit polka dot gold foil tee floral kimono Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan | awayfromblue

Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold | awayfromtheblue

awayfromblue instagram print mixing polka dot navy foil tee black shorts floral kimono
JacketSomedays Lovin' Yakuza print kimono
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus teething necklace in pop
TeeJeanswest Flavia foil printed polka dot tee deep iris
ShortsJeanswest Sara distressed hot short
Shoesslim gold Havaianas
BagRebecca Minkoff micro Regan satchel in Harvest Gold
NailsOPI Fire Escape Rendezvous

Why I wore it:

Once again I'm realising I've worn this tee to my Australian Breastfeeding Association group - it gets worn there quite a lot, haha! I wore this to a topic I'd really been looking forward to - we had a first aid presentation from St John's ambulance. When Toddler T was little, I'd gone to a first aid course for babies and felt quite confident with everything baby first aid related.
A few months ago, when Baby Boy fell ill, everything went out the window and I panicked. I barely remembered what to do and had to ask the 000 operator to tell me each step to do as my mind was blank. Instinct kicked in and I did a few things but couldn't remember what to do next, it was scary. It wasn't until we were out of the ambulance and in the hospital when we were asked if we had done a first aid course that it all came flooding back to me, and I started remembering what we'd been taught.

I asked the presenter to cover the topic again for me and it was nice to know I'd done the right thing calling the ambulance. I picked up some other useful tips and advice from her too, that I hope I'll never have to put into practice!

Outfit-wise, I thought the polka dots and floral print was something very different for me. I don't have a lot of polka dot pieces in my wardrobe. Really liked this combo though - I think the gold foil polka dots on the tee work just as well with the floral kimono as the silver stripes on the tee above. And the mustard yellow micro Regan bag is a nice combination with the yellow on the kimono as well as the navy tee. I've worn this tee and bag together before.

I usually do a purchase review after wearing everything I buy twice. The goal is to learn what works and doesn't in my wardrobe, so I make wiser purchasing decisions in the future.

I love these shorts (even if this is the fourth wear, I forgot to do the review earlier). I already had a couple pairs of black shorts, but I got rid of them as I was worried they were too short. These are still short shorts, but slightly longer than the ones I had before, and still just as comfortable (perhaps even more so!). A classic pair of black shorts is essential for Brisbane summers, I'm really pleased I bought these, and thankful for the Christmas gift card I used to buy them!


Last worn: floral kimono (above), polka dot tee, black denim shorts (above), gold Havaianas, Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan bag.

Other ways to wearfloral kimono and chambray dress, polka dot tee and mustard cardigan, black denim shorts and a dress, gold Havaianas, Rebecca Minkoff micro Regan bag worn 30 ways.

Perfect for pregnancy: floral kimono and maternity shorts.




Foil Print Tees Under $50:








How You Can Wear It:


You don't have to stick with neutral basic pieces when wearing colourful printed kimonos. Stripes and polka dots are fun to try print mixing with. If you're unsure, picking similarly coloured pieces like the silver stripes and grey kimono is a good way to go, and keeping it simple with just two prints and having the rest of your outfit plain makes it easy. The benefit of having one of your pieces being a printed kimono is that if you are unsure when leaving the house and later change your mind, you can easily take that layer off!


Linking up with Fabulous Friday, Fab Favourites, Trend Spin.


I hope that you have a very merry Christmas and enjoy spending time with your friends and family on Monday as we reflect on the greatest gift of all, God sending Jesus.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

36 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you too Mica and your family, I hope you have a lovely day and enjoy your holidays!! I am spending time with my family too and I can't wait to see my cousins, I haven't seen them for months!! xx

    Yiota
    http://pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty casual look. Merry Christmas!!

    http://www.glitsxgrace.com/2017/12/22/natural-hair-tag-my-story/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't wear my kimono since I don't know when to use them but seeing you here with shorts it's really a good idea. It protects you when the weather changes in the late afternoon or at night and you're still outside. I also like the white kimono that you wear in your Instagram, you certainly know how to style them. I finally finished my Christmas shopping today and I'm glad I survived braving the multitude, Sydney was so busy today and yesterday and probably tomorrow until Christmas.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the shops get so busy near Christmas! Glad I could give you some ideas for how to wear your kimono :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Mica! The stripes and florals compliment perfectly! I always enjoy your kimono pairings. You look very cute as always!

    I pray you and your family have a blessed and beautiful Christmas! Enjoy!

    Tiff
    http://www.dashoffashandfinance.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really must take a St John's First Aid course soon. Anyhoo, you look great in both outfits as always, Mica. That kimono is such a versatile piece, and you wear it so well.:)
    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a useful course to take, although hopefully never needed!

      Delete
  6. Love the tees, have a lovely Christmas and Happy new year. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stripes and polka dots are definitely the easiest prints to start mixing with! Both of these looks are great!
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That kimono is so cute. I love how you styled it.
    https://sugarcoatedbears.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Foiled prints can be such fun to wear. I like how you merged the floral kimono with it. I like both looks!
    Thanks for your dedicated visits and comments this year. You're amazing! Have a blessed and Happy Christmas! x/Madison
    FASHION TALES

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love the challenge you set yourself of wearing a piece of clothing more than 30 times - I can imagine that must have been quite difficult to achieve with so many options to choose from each day, haha! I love your foil print t-shirt, such a stylish wardrobe essential. Have a fantastic Christmas!!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, my large wardrobe makes it tricky to wear pieces so often, but I'm getting there! It's a lot of fun to come up with different ways to wear things :)

      Delete
  11. It's amazing when we find ourselves under pressure or in a certain situation how everything we know flies out the door! That must have been such an ordeal for you. How scary. But thankfully all is well in the end. I love the silver stripe with that kimono. Those two were certainly made for each other and I feel like you'll be getting much wear out of it too. So definitely a great buy indeed. Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and an even better, loving and happy 2018.

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia. It's never a nice situation to be in, but like you said it was all good in the end thankfully!

      Delete
  12. I love both of your foil print tees, Mica! I love a bit of sparkle!;) Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2018 filled with good health, laughter and happiness. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are just the right amount of sparkle for everyday! :)

      Delete
  13. I love kimonos, I own three of them, but I don't wear them to often. I love how you styled yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice :)

    Federica
    www.federicadinardo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looks! Love your choice of bags and the dotted shirt is so cute!

    Marije | thegfguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are just the cutest!!! Such a fun necklace to pair with this outfit.
    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones <3
    xo, allie
    www.champagne-tuesdays.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, as usual I like both looks and I'm surprised how well the pattern mixes are working! I love you btw seeing you wearing shorts - this kind of garment suits you very well.
    And so laudable how you take care of your first aid knowledge - I'm also convinced like the presenter that on that day you did right!
    Have wonderful and happy holidays with your loved ones!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool look! I don't have a floral kimono in my wardrobe yet! You gave me some inspiration!

    Happy holidays to your family,
    Anna / http://atlifestylecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That kimono is such a pretty pattern! I'm so jealous seeing you wear shorts, it's so cold here haha! Hope you have a lovely Christmas!
    Amy xx
    www.callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't own any foil shirts, but have been seeing some in stores and love them! These are two really cute options and they both work well with pattern mixing! Hope you are having a wonderful Christmas! We decided to stay home for the day. It's our daughter's birthday and we didn't want to spend it driving all over this year. Merry Christmas Mica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any and suddenly have 2, haha! They are quite big here this summer! Hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday and you all had a merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  21. Loving the silver stripes on basic white tee dear. It's a simple touch that makes all the difference. Cute kimono too.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. These photos are BEAUTIFUL! Love your bag girl!
    Merry Christmas!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Much love, Len
    http://www.lenparent.com
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and softly colored kimono ! fabulous combo with the polka dots. I hope you had a lovely Christmas with your sweet family! It is cold here, so seeing you in this summer outfit is fun!
    xoxo, Elle
    https://theellediaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The floral kimono with the polka dot tee is so cute! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's that kimono! I love the floral and colors in that one!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  26. You look beautiful in both outfits! I'm so envious right now, Mica, of your summer attire lol. It's below 0 here and it's just awful!

    Happy new year! I hope you had a wonderful holiday time!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cold! I don't think we ever dip below 0, even in winter!

      Delete
  27. Thanks all for your kind comments and Christmas wishes. Hope you had a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I remember a time, where I would be so afraid of print mixing. After following bloggers like yourself Mica, it makes sense. Beautiful pairings above. Love your kimono collection.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...