Monday 26 January 2015

Dressing Up Denim Shorts - Casual Summer Outfits with a Hat and Headscarf

Two more #JaNEWary style challenge outfits and two different ways to dress up denim shorts. I'm still enjoying being a stay at home mum a little longer before I return to work, so I'm always dressing for comfort first. I'm trying to put a little more effort into what I wear and be a little dressed up now and then, so I don't fall into a rut of the same outfits over and over.

In the winter, I was looking for ways to try dress up my jeans, now in summer I'm looking for ways to dress up shorts. Just like before, I find accessorising is the best way to do that. And it's easy to do, just add a little something before I step out the door. Denim is a great option for life with baby, but it's good to be able to dress it up now and then.


It's the Australia day long weekend, don't forget to take advantage of all of the extra sales and discounts in between your celebrations :)



Here's what I wore to spend the day by the sea:
printed headscarf peplum tank denim shorts LV neverfull beach outfit
Scarf: gifted Paris print silk scarf
Necklace: Nibbly Bits Abacus necklace in pop
SingletZalora basics ruffle hem tank in black (on sale!)
ShortsJeanswest black denim cuff shorts
Shoesblack slim Havaianas thongs
BagLouis Vuitton MM damier azur neverfull


The style challenge for the day was to 'wear black'. Which was not my first choice for a sunny day, I'll be honest! Kept cool with denim shorts and a sleeveless tank. I like the ruffle detail on this tank, and it was nice and loose for a hot day.

My new scarf fit the challenge theme too. My mum bought it for me in Paris, it's beautiful. I thought wearing the scarf in my hair added a nice bit of interest to the outfit and dressed it up a little. Unlike the last time I wore a scarf in my hair, it wasn't tugged on too much by baby T which was good. We took a road trip up the coast, and had lunch by the sea followed by a bit of shopping. Baby T even had time for a paddle in the waves.


Last worn: peplum tank, denim shorts, Havaianas, Louis Vuitton Neverfull. First time I've worn the scarf.



Here's what I wore to spend the day at Southbank with my family:
casual summer outfit denim shorts button down tank floral print shirt LV NF
Hat: Big W bow detail sunhat
ShirtRiver Island floral print sleeveless shirt
ShortsJeanswest denim cuff shorts
ShoesAsos 'five star' leather sandals
BagLouis Vuitton MM damier azur neverfull


When I wore this, the style challenge was 'try something different with your makeup'. I am not a beauty guru at all. I have the products I use, and just one of each of them. While I was younger I'd have a few different eyeshadows and lippies, but it's never really been something I've been as interested in as I am in clothes or accessories. Over the years, I've downsized to my staple products and so my options are makeup on, or makeup off! I spent the day without any makeup, and hid it under a big hat.

I like how the hat worked with this outfit. I'm not a hat person, but being out so often during the day lately I am loving hats just for the sun protection aspect! The nice wide brim helps keep baby T shaded a little when I baby wear too. Plus a bad hair day is really easy to hide....I might be converting to being a hat person!

Wore this out for a day at Southbank with my grandparents and family, and felt appropriately dressed up enough for a lunch at the restaurants nearby. It helps that the sleeveless shirt has a few sequins woven in too. Isn't it pretty? Another cute piece my mum brought back from Europe for me.


Last worn: sun hat, denim shorts, leather sandals, Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag (see above). First time I've worn the shirt.




Linking up with Let It Shine, Modest Mondays, Shoe & Tell, Mix It Mondays, Manic Mondays, Real Mom Style, Style Sessions, Trend Spin Linkup, Confident Twosday, Celebrate Southern, What I Wore, Wardrobe Wednesday today.


Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : Youtube

40 comments:

  1. Hi, Thank you for linking up with the new Shoe and Tell Fashion Link-Up on Style Nudge!!
    Isn't ASOS great - fab sandals!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mica I like the head scarf in outfit one. I used to be obsessed with hair accessories but now I have gotten so lazy I almost forget to brush my hair in the morning (I have dead straight hair which is why it hardly even need detangling lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wear head scarves all the time, great for the heat! I think I need to get back into it, since I don't really 'style' my hair haha.

      Delete
  3. These are both adorable! I love the ruffle tank! You look adorable in that hat too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the headscarf in your first photo, I've tried to do mine like that before but it just doesn't seem to look right on me. You look great in both photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love been able to put something in your hair or on your head for a different look!
    I really like you with the headscarf! Two great outfits!
    x Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that printed top with denim shorts look! looks awesome on you mica!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the head scarf. I need to try that more! You look effortless in both looks!
    Carylee | more pieces of me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girrrrl, that printed top in the second look is amazing! Love it :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  9. You my Dears, look absolutely adorable in the head scarf! Smart too, to wear a hat. Good girl, sun has been horrendous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Accessorizing really does dress up an outfit. I feel like patterns do, too like in your second outfit with that adorable top! Love your pretty head scarf, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That necklace in picture one is absolutely fab, I want to make me something like that now ;-) And I love the print of the shirt in the second picture. As far as your head accessories go, you look great with both, but I think I like the scarf just a tiny little bit better.

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is such a pretty scarf, that helps! :)

      Delete
  12. I wish I could wear shorts right now. Both pairs of these denim ones are so cute. I love it every time you wear that necklace. Also the sleeveless floral top and hat are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so jealous of the weather! Great looks, but the second one with the hat is my favorite! I am dreaming with Spring/Summer Season right now. So pretty!
    ~Tatiana
    We Shop in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shorts and ruffle peplum outfit looks so comfy and easy for a hot day! Please pass on some warmth to the northern hemisphere... Love the head scarf addition, you look too cute withit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the headscarf outfit is my favourite! Great look for you Mica. The printed sleeveless blouse is also lovely. xx/Madison
    Insta-Living Vol. 05

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your wide brimmed hat!

    michellespaige.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always thought that dressing up shorts was difficult. However the great bag and the hat make it seem like something that can be done easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think accessories are the key to so many outfits! :)

      Delete
  18. Every time I see these shorts I think they look like the best fitting denim shorts. I love that black top in your first look! The ruffle hem is so fun.

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the first look, casual elegance. You look so pretty!

    besos,
    M
    The Flower Duet

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally wish I could rock the head scarf look. You look amazing. I was def not on my shorts game last summer after having the baby. I felt so awkward all the time. Since I've lost nearly 30 lbs since then, I should be a little more comfortable this time around. Thank you for the tips! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth giving the scarf a try! :) I know what you mean, body changes so much after baby it takes you a while to warm back up to things in your wardrobe. But you look incredible, hope you get the shorts out this summer! :)

      Delete
  21. Love the second look - the floral and denim is perfect together, and the hat is a fantastic touch.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your peplum top! So missing summer right now! ;)

    - Che

    www.style-che.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been having the same challenges, trying to find different ways to wear and style shorts. I feel like I've been using tanks and white tees far too much lately.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to make an effort not to wear them all the time...but they are just so easy for summer! Got to try be a little different at least when I do wear them :)

      Delete
  24. I love these looks! You look so cute!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow.. you are all summer ready!!! so jealous.. i can use some warmth right now!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that headscarf. You should also tie it around the handles of your handbag! That would be so beautiful too!

    Clare
    Understated Classics

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute! I love the idea of making denim shorts look different! I just came from the What I Wore Link Up. You should come link up over at my style & beauty link up! The Style Files Link-Up

    ReplyDelete
  28. Both looks are adorable! I am so jealous it is warm enough for you to wear that right now! :) Thanks for joining the Celebrate Southern Linkup last week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...