Wednesday 22 July 2015

SAHM Style: Maxi Skirts and Cardigans - Cosy and Comfy

Just in case you missed it, Beth from Almost Posh and I had a chat to a newspaper about #noBuyJuly15. You can see the article online here. It has lots of great tips about reducing impulse buys, saving, and trying to spend more mindfully.


And now, what I've been wearing. I felt like I'd been wearing my skinny jeans a lot this winter, so I made more of an effort to wear my maxi skirts and get out of the denim rut. These two outfits were perfect for the days we had lined up with friends visiting from overseas. Maxi skirts and cardigans are such a cosy and comfortable combination.


What I wore:

Away From Blue: purple cardigan grey tee Aztec print maxi skirt Ikwetta sandals

Marc By Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran bag with gold hardware in carob brown
CardiganJeanswest Dana drape knit cardi in boysenberry
NecklaceRoie Designs long freshwater pearl necklace with tassel
TeeJeanswest 'Lucy' colour block tee in grey marle/rosebud
SkirtIzabel London Aztec print maxi skirt (C/O)
Shoes: Ikwetta 'Circles of life' sandals (C/O)
BagMarc By Marc Jacobs Classic Q Fran bag with gold hardware in carob brown

Why I wore it:

Apologies for the bin in the background of this shot! I was in a bit of a rush that morning. We were up early to travel down to NSW with our friends, and visit some great beaches and points of interest along the way. I was excited to wear my new Ikwetta sandals too! They are so pretty and perfect for the beach. You can see a better pic of my colourblock tee here when I was on a beach with baby, it's got a pink panel on the back. I have to say baby T coped so well with all the travel, it was a big day for him. I usually like to be home for his afternoon nap (he's down to just one nap a day) but he was still happy and smiley despite not really getting a big nap.

The only time I didn't like this outfit was when we were in Surfers Paradise at sunset. While it was gorgeous, no more sun to heat me up and walking along the markets right by the breezy beachfront made me wish I'd worn different shoes. They were okay during the day, just wanted something closed in as the temperatures dipped at night. The cosy cardi didn't keep my feet warm! The hot chocolate for the drive home helped a little though ;)



Last worn: purple cardi, colour block tee, printed maxi skirt,, Marc by Marc Jacobs Fran bag. First time I've worn the sandals.

Other ways to wear: purple cardi and a tiny newborn baby, first time I wore this colour block tee, printed maxi skirt with grey and black, Marc by Marc Jacobs Fran bag at 40 weeks pregnant.







More maxi skirts and cardigans:




What I wore:

Away From Blue Winter Maxi Skirt Outfit black ankle boots red tee stripe cardi

Rebecca Minkoff mini quilted affair bag in fire engine red
NecklaceHouse of Harlow sunburst necklace in silver and grey
TeeZalora Basics maroon stepped t-shirt
Skirt: Target grey marle maxi skirt
ShoesRMK Chester black ankle boots
BagRebecca Minkoff mini quilted affair bag in fire engine red (on sale in pink and on sale in black)

Why I wore it:

I don't know what my hair was doing this day either! Had to get ready in a rush as didn't want to be late - we went to farewell our friends at the airport. We had coffee together and then after they flew away baby T and I went out for lunch with my mum.

As above, a maxi skirt and cardigan seemed like a comfortable and cosy option - although ankle boots this time to keep my feet warm!

As it's the second time I've worn this tee (and I'm trying to wear and review everything I buy twice in a month after buying), my purchase review:
I am glad I bought this tee. It had been hanging around in my cart at The Iconic for a while when it was on sale, and as I had an extra discount code off sale items and I was buying some boots too it was a good time to purchase.
I mentioned when I did my June monthly purchase wrap-up that I still had tops from the previous month that I hadn't worn. As a result, I returned all the tops from my June Jeanswest order, but kept this one. Partly as it was only a couple of dollars and partly because I really like it! It's got a high-low hem so it's just a little different from a normal tee, but still just as comfortable and easy to wear. It also fills my wardrobe gap, being a plain block-colour top. I definitely don't regret purchasing this at all, and it was easy to wear this twice in a month. Unlike the shirt I bought in May that I still haven't worn yet....

#noBuyJuly15 challenge was definitely needed, as I'm not managing to wear everything I buy before buying new things!


Last worn: striped cardigan, red tee, grey maxi skirt, black ankle boots, Rebecca Minkoff mini affair bag.

Other ways to wear: striped cardigan and red tee together with jeans, grey maxi skirt with floral cami in spring, black ankle boots in the office, Rebecca Minkoff mini affair bag with printed maxi skirt.





Linking up with Pleated Poppy, Style Me Weekly, Cappuccino and Fashion, Oh Hey Girl, Style Me Wednesday, Wednesday Pants, Trendy Wednesday Fashion Files, Thursday Favourites, Throwback Thursday, Fun Fashion Friday, Weekend Link Up today.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

52 comments:

  1. Lovely as always! xxx
    www.travelera.es

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Izabel London skirt is divine Mica! You're a stunner :) Hope all is well this week!

    http://centsofdiscovery.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cardi's and own far too many but I very rarely wear them with skirts. I will have to try it out this autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a try! It's very comfortable! :)

      Delete
  4. Looking gorgeous hun! No buy July certainly sounds like a good idea to me haha! I adore that aztec maxi skirt :)

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great idea, I needed it after spending so much in June!

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! I love cardis I just love all the styles you can get them in and you always pair them perfectly :)

    Florals&Smiles
    Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best collection of handbags! I have one of your photos pinned of one of your purses and it's been getting repins like crazy!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, your bags always fantastic! The print of your first maxi is beautiful, Mica! Great idea to style with a boho necklace. Can I have your cardi from the last look? ;) It's gorgeous! And looks outstanding with red! Happy you've had great time with your family and friends, Mica!

      xxx Ira
      JOURNAL OF STYLE / BLOGLOVIN

      Delete
    2. Thanks for pinning Brooke! :) I don't use pinterest, but I'm happy it's popular! :)

      Delete
  7. You are so funny. If you hadn't mentioned your hair or the background, I would have never thought about it. I still don't know what you are talking about with your hair. It looks great! I love that long cardigan in the second look. Makes me so ready for fall to arrive here!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Amy! :) I can't wait for the warmer weather to get here!

      Delete
  8. Love the print of that first skirt! And that sweater in the second look is so cozy! :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your maxi skirt, looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your maxi skirts - both are so pretty! Maxi's are great because they are so versatile and comfortable!
    xoxo Danielle
    For the Love of Leopard

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty cardigan!! I love anything striped :)
    XO Christine
    Maple and Mint

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore these maxi skirts on you! So cute!

    Chelsea
    Ginger Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep.. they're so cosy and comfy!
    Maxi skirts, maxi dress.. I love them both for the comfort.
    Lovely and creative outfit as usual, Mica!

    xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both the aztec maxi and the patterned cardigan are beautiful and I just saw they are actually from the same company :) Congratulations on being featured!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was very cool being in the paper! :) And definitely check out Izabel London - they have lots of nice things! :)

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the link Mica. I swear every time I come here I feel compelled to confess how I broke that promise - again. Sigh. I did, Tuesday. I brought another pair of Nikes... :o|

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, that sounds like a practical purchase though! :)

      Delete
  16. You can't go wrong with cozy cardigans & a maxi skirt, both great everyday looks! Love that second cardigan especially with the pretty red bag!
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness. You look extremely comfy. Jealous! I work in corporate America and would be sent home if I wore this. Not fair! I'll live vicariously thru you.

    www.stylegonerogue.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I don't think I could get away with these outfits in my business casual office either! Perfect for days with baby though, he's not so fussy on a dress code ;)

      Delete
  18. Both outfits are beautiful! I love the way you styled both maxi skirts.

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That cardi in the first outfit has such a wonderful color and flow! I also really like the necklaces in both looks! Maxi skirts are so comfy and stylish, such a perfect staple for the closet for any season!

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your feature in the newspaper! That sounds very exciting!! I should probably read it after I've finish my comment because I could really some tips on how to shop on a budget now that I've just moved house.

    It's 25°C out here, but you make me want to wear my thick cardigans again. Yours is very lovely and I also like the maxi skirt from the first look. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cardis are very cosy! I wish it would get back up to 25 here, it's inching ever so slowly...haha.
      It was awesome being in the paper! I hope some of the tips help you!

      Delete
  21. I am just back from reading the interview ! and one of the things that helps the most is unsubscribing from all those almost harassing emails…. for me its also about leaving the credit card at home and just stop going to the mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading it! :) I think unsubscribing and avoiding sales is the best defence for me too!

      Delete
  22. That red bag is gorgeous! And loving all the colours (plus the weather) :)

    Tatyana x
    Secret little Stars
    www.secretlittlestars.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maxi skirts and cardigans are my favorite, especially longer waterfall cardigans like you have! So cozy indeed. It's good to break out of the jeans ruts once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! too easy to fall back into wearing nothing but jeans in winter!

      Delete
  24. I have said it before, and I will say it again, maxi length items are amazing, comfortable and cute! I love this cardigan/maxi look on you!

    Chelsea
    Ginger Side of Life

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on the newspaper feature, how awesome is that!?! Love both of these looks, especially that cozy, chunky cardigan in your second look--it looks so warm and cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased we were in the paper! :)

      Delete
  26. I always look to you for great maxi style, and I love the black and white cardi, it does just look so cozy!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on the interview Mica (and friend)!!! That's so awesome. I love what you shared. I love maxi skirts! They work well for winter and summer.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! It was great being in the paper!

      Delete
  28. Oh I know you, I read about you in the paper! Haha. I did briefly try a winter maxi look but it wasn't working for me, needs more time to perfect (and a warmer room to try on in . . . too cold for fashion experimenting at the moment!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes it is I! And look, it's a comment from that lady in the paper! :)

      I agree winter can become more about keeping warm and cosy than trying new things sometimes! Especially with how cold it's been!

      Delete
  29. Loving all the maxi's; the skirt, the cardi
    xx
    Garland Girl

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look lovely and very comfortable in both shots. Love that cardi in the first pic! Also love the photo bomb from the cute dog! :-) Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the necklaces! They are so fabulous! I like wearing maxi skirt, they can be so cosyб warm and feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just read your interview girls! Well done. Some really great tips. Mica, well done on returning the jeanswest tops. It's so easy to hang onto things rather than make the effort to return them. Glad you like the red one. You look great. Bron x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bron! Glad you enjoyed the story in the paper :) It made sense to return the things I was never going to get a chance to wear much!

      Delete
  33. Love your maxi skirt in the first outfit! I don't wear my maxi's much in the winter either I am not sure why.

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week. Have a great weekend!

    Alice
    www.happpinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you all for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yay cardigans!!! You know I'm totally biased in the cardigan department. (; Such much use in one piece of clothing. I love the way you styled the purple one with a maxi! You are so brave wearing sandals in winter!

    I've been a fan of that second cardigan since you first posted it! It looks so cozy and man does it get bitter here in the Ohio winters. Totally need something like that!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...