Monday 7 September 2015

Corporate Style: Plaid Shirts In The Office with Pencil Skirts and Alexander McQueen Skull Scarves

Last time I wore these plaid shirts, I wore them with skinny jeans. I'd been trying to think of another way to wear them so they wouldn't just sit unworn for a while and figured I'd wear them to the office! Just like last time, two extremely similar looks, just wearing them with slightly different things.

If you want to make a plaid shirt look a little more formal and corporate, you can always tuck it in too. I tend to leave my shirts untucked as I work in a fairly relaxed business casual office.

What I wore:

plaid shirt red alexander mcqueen skull scarf RM MAB tote black trench and pencil skirt

Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy with black
Jacket: Temt black trench coat 
ScarfAlexander McQueen red skull-print modal and cashmere-blend scarf
ShirtJay Jays metallic plaid shirt
SkirtJeanswest zip detail ponte pencil skirt
ShoesWalnut Melbourne 'Ava' black lizard ballet flats
Bag: Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy

Why I wore it:

It's officially spring here in Brisbane which is great as it means I can go bare-legged with the knee bandage more often. I've mentioned before it doesn't work well with tights! While I took this photo before I went to work a couple of weeks ago, it was a warmer than normal winter day and bare legs were fine.

When I put this on it seemed a little dark with all the black, so I added the bright scarf for some colour, even though didn't really need it for warmth.


Last wornblack trench, red skull scarf, plaid shirt, black pencil skirt, ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote.

Other ways to wearblack trench and a printed dress, red skull scarf and a navy striped dress, plaid shirt and denim, pencil skirt and polka dots, black flats and a printed dress, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote and a printed dress.


Shop plaid shirts at Shopbop:



See more plaid shirts at Shopbop.

If you'd rather ease into plaid, check out the plaid scarves. Accessories are a great way to try something out on a small scale.




What I wore:

Office wear grey pencil skirt purple plaid shirt magenta skull scarf RM MAB tote bag

Rebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy with purple plaid shirt
Jacket: Barkins beige trench coat 
ScarfAlexander McQueen magenta skull scarf in roses print
TopSee by Chloe lavender plaid cotton shirt
SkirtAsos tailored tab front pencil skirt in grey
ShoesMarc by Marc Jacobs logo plaque flats in camel
BagRebecca Minkoff medium MAB tote in moon navy

Why I wore it:

Unlike a few days before, when I wore the outfit above, this winter morning was a little more wintery and I was wishing I didn't have to go bare-legged! Especially in the rain for the commute home. I added the scarf for extra warmth. I considered wearing ankle boots instead of ballet flats too, but my boots have a tiny (1cm) heel and I'd really rather stick to completely flat shoes while my knee heels.

Wasn't sure what colour scarf to wear with the purple shirt at first, I tried on a few and in the end decided this magenta one worked nicely. What do you think?


Last worn: camel trench, magenta skull scarf, purple plaid shirt, grey pencil skirt, Marc by Marc Jacobs ballet flats, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote (above).

Other ways to wearcamel trench with a colourful outfit, magenta skull scarf and a LBD in spring, purple plaid shirt with skinny jeans, grey pencil skirt and floral cami, MbMJ ballet flats and skinny jeans, Rebecca Minkoff MAB tote with the same scarf and different outfit.


Linking up with Modest Monday, Let It Shine, Mix It Monday, Style Sessions, Reasons To Dress, On Trend Tuesday, Wardrobe Wednesday, Real Mom Style, What I Wore today.


This post was created in partnership with Shopbop. Occasionally, Away From The Blue blog may receive vendor or brand sponsorships for mentioning their products or services. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin : Facebook : Twitter : Google Plus : Instagram
 : LikeToKnow.It : Youtube 

58 comments:

  1. I love the way you made the shirt work in a more formal setting. I never would have thought of that and it's great to have more occasions to wear your pieces, We can definitely tell that spring is on its way down here in Sydney. Although it's still freezing to and from work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's still so cold in the mornings and evenings for the commute!

      It's good to think of new ways to wear what I already own, and try different things :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely bag!!!
    xoxo Lynda
    http://fashion-petite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both versions and the pencil skirt with plaid shirt sure is an unusual combination. Well done :) I'll keep it in mind for when it (unfortunately and inevitably) gets colder here.

    Have a nice week Mica!

    Alex - Funky Jungle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plaid is the perfect print for cooler weather! :)

      Delete
  4. I like both outfits, but the second one is right down my alley; that trench is gorgeous! I like going untucked with button downs for a relaxed, corporate look, too!

    May | THE MAYDEN

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful, I adore the brown jacket with the plaid! :)

    RedLip&Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the pop of bold red in the first one and you're right the magenta scarf works fantastic with the second outfit. It's still warm here, tho.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you remixed your plaid shirts! I often find it hard to pair plaid with anything other than denim. But You did a great job.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to try different things and think of different ways to wear items! :)

      Delete
  8. I love mixing plaid in to my office wear. Great looks!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you made the plaid shirts office appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The navy with the pink is such a great colour combination. I love the pencil skirt with the shirting for more casual look. <3
    Paper Art

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing outfit!!!! You are simply stunning!!! I am in love with your style... Lovely shoes gorgeous looking bag xxxx

    New post on the blog:

    http://www.mlleepaulette.com/index.php?r=site/blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love plaid shirts and don't own nearly enough of them. I prefer getting them in flannel, which makes them perfect for fall. They're almost in season again and I can't wait to go look for one to wear when the leaves really change colors.

    Funny to read how you are finally able to go bare-legged while I was shopping for tights just this afternoon, haha. The temperatures have really dropped here and Fall is coming fast.

    xo Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have the knee bandage, I'd probably still be wearing tights too! It's a bit chilly in the mornings and evenings still.
      Hope you find the perfect plaid shirt when autumn rolls around :)

      Delete
  13. you styled both of these tartan shirts wonderfully. I really like your scarves....both outfits are fabulous. You always look very chic.

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the outfits. Um, how many bags do you own?! (Forgive me, that's so rude!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, not rude at all! I do have quite a few.... http://awayfromtheblue.blogspot.com/p/handbags.html I like to splurge on bags!

      Delete
  15. I love all of that plaid that you're wearing, and that bag is just fantastic. It gets be every time I see it!

    https://forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've too been thinking on how to make certain printed shirts more work appropriate. While I did not think of the scarf, I did think of buttoning it all the way up and then adding a pin.
    Very 80s though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look pretty cool though! No harm in giving it a try :)

      Delete
  17. I don't have any plaid shirts, if you can believe it! Ha ha. I just haven't found my perfect one yet...
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe it! I didn't have any before my sister kindly gave me these two!

      Delete
  18. Obsessing over your bag!! If you have a second, I would love to hear your thoughts on my latest.

    xx Leah / www.eatpraywearlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovin' your scarves. You look so adorable!

    Happy Tuesday!
    With love,
    Suzy ( ˘ ³˘)♥

    THE KAWAII PLANET

    ReplyDelete
  20. That scarf looks awesome on you! Love the color! By the way are those little blue bows on your shoes? I'm hoping they are...bows are the best! ;)

    Dayna

    www.sofashionablyfrugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bows are cute! Sadly, not bows, just little metal logos :(

      Delete
  21. Mica,

    I always admire you for making use of every outfit and never letting them stuck in the closet when the season changed. Well, that's just being practical and most of us should practice too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    xoxo
    Jhem | JhemSays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some inspiration! I really am trying to wear more of my wardrobe, I have so many clothes I need to make sure I wear them all! :)

      Delete
  22. Bring on the plaid! So excited for Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love plaid so much. But I always stick to a simple uniform of jeans or shorts. Sometimes heels to dress it up slightly. I've never contemplated a skirt before but I kinda like the idea, especially seeing it on you.

    Sxx
    www.daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you a different way to look at your plaid shirts! :) It's nice to try different things now and then :)

      Delete
  24. love love love plaid! that bag is simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a sweet chic style
    Lovin your scarfs

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can get carried away with the dark colors in the colder months. I think you did an excellent job with the pop of red contrast!

    I love the colors you chose for the second look. The grey, purple, pink, camel, it just flows so nicely together. It's a bummer you are a little limited in the shoe department at the moment, but at least you don't have to cram yourself into tights! Happy Spring Mica! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I use scarves a lot to add some colour against all the darker layers when it's cooler! :)

      Glad you liked the colours in the second outfit, I was a little unsure at first but grew to quite like it :)

      Delete
  27. I have that same bag! i love it!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away

    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome scarf, lady! Love the color!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  29. They look great with skirts! I've never tried it. I think you did an excellent job!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love plaid! It looks so great with both of these looks!
    xox Danielle
    For the Love of Leopard

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like your final choice of scarf colour in the second outfit. Magenta always brighten up the whole look, especially when weather is a bit on the grey side! Hope your right knee is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's getting better slowly, I think I'll still be in the bandage for a little while.

      Delete
  32. Oh, that's really super cute! They'd look fabulous with a sleeveless V neck knit over the top too, with a little hem peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they would! I'll have to try that next year when it's cooler again! :)

      Delete
  33. Awesome way to incorporate plaid. V x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how the plaid shirts mix with the prints of the scarves--such fun print mixes! I just picked up a new plaid (well, just black and white check) shirt, so I can't wait to style it with a fun printed scarf too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you share it on the blog, I'd love to see it! :)

      Delete
  35. Love plaid shirts so much!! And now I am inspired to wear them to work too - thank you. I have a similar smart casual code which is handy. Love your scarves too xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you some workwear inspiration! :) It's great having a more casual dress code it means you can try a lot more :)

      Delete
  36. Oh plaid flannel shirts are my favorite!! These are such cute outfits. Yay for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I do love a little Alexander McQueen. :)

    Stopping by from the StyleSessions link-up!

    -Adriele
    www.StyleAssisted.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you all for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have no plaid shirts (or anything plaid at all, actually) and this seems to be a distinct gap in my wardrobe, but I can't find any I like. Also, I struggle with closure on button fronts so that's probs why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! It can be hard to find a shirt that fits in all places without being too baggy or tight elsewhere!

      Delete
  40. I read this and took so much pity on you for needing to go bare legged, hopefully it will warm up and in the meantime your outfits are great. Both looks are great for the office! Thank you for joining the #reasonstodress linkup!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...