Friday 3 January 2020

30 Ways To Wear: Gold Marc By Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats & 2019 Shopping Review, 2020 Budget

For this month's 30 ways to wear post I'm also sharing how my "spend less on fashion" year went in 2019, and my spending goals for 2020!


These little metallic Marc by Marc Jacobs mouse flats definitely deserve their own 30 wears post. It's not a style that's made any more, you can find some on eBay and other resale sites though. I bought them on sale back in 2013 for $166, and they've been worn 92 times since then. (So currently $1.80 per wear). I think I'm definitely getting my money's worth from them! While they are showing a little wear they are still very comfortable and wearable and I expect them to be around for a while yet. Even if they could do with a bit of a polish!


30 ways to wear metallic ballet flats Marc by Marc Jacobs mouse shoes | away from the blue blog


It's such a talking point when people realise I'm wearing little mouse shoes, they are too fun for me to ever think of giving them up, even if they are discontinued and the Marc by Marc Jacobs brand isn't around any more. I like to wear them whenever I know I'll be meeting new people as they are a cute conversation starter. The metallic gold goes with absolutely everything too, I had a hard time putting this 30 wears post together as I wear them with so many colours!

I decided to show you 34 outfits, with different styles of clothing I've worn these flats with rather than focusing on colour combinations to try. I hope it inspires you to try something different with a similar pair of flats you own - I find bold bright shoes tricky to wear but these fun novelty metallic gold ones are very versatile! Much more versatile that you'd expect from a pair of shoes with mouse ears and whiskers!



Marc by Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats with Dresses


Marc by Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats with Dresses 8 ways to wear | away from the blue


Ballet flats and a dress is a staple outfit for a hot day - and add a blazer, a more structured bag maybe, and it's perfect for the office! I had a hard time picking my fave dress and mouse flats outfits to share here as I have worn this outfit combo a lot!


Metallic Gold Ballet Flats with Skirts


Metallic Gold Ballet Flats with Skirts 8 outfit ideas | awayfromblue blog


Of course just as I wear my mouse flats to the office with dresses, I like to wear them with pencil skirts too, another work staple for me! You can match the metallic flats to something else gold in our your outfit, like how I've matched the necklaces or gold hardware on the bags in most of these outfits. They can also be worn on their own, like in the first outfit, where the only gold touch is the ballet flats.

Marc by Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats with Jeans


Marc by Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats with Jeans ways to wear metallic flats 8 ideas | awayfromtheblue


Simple mum style for a busy day with the kids - ballet flats and jeans! I like how printed, flared or colourful jeans all work as well with these shoes as much as skinny jeans do. Being metallic, I also feel they dress up the stay at home mum outfits a little more thank classic black ballet flats. My kids love that the shoes have little ears and whiskers too!


Gold Mouse Flats in Pregnancy


marc by marc jacobs mouse flats in pregnancy 4 outfit ideas | away from blue blog


While my pregnancies with the boys both ended with massive heatwaves and my feet swelled up massively with the heat and humidity, there were some days in pregnancy (second trimester and early third trimester) when I could still wear these shoes. I think the elasticated sections helped them stretch out a little, and they were still comfortable to wear.  It's not always possible to wear the same pair of shoes all 40 weeks of pregnancy, but I love looking back at my baby bump pics and seeing how I could still wear my pre-pregnancy pieces, even if they were just accessories!



Where to Buy Marc By Marc Jacobs Mouse Flats:







Similar Posts in the 30 Wears Series:





2019 Fashion Spend and 2020 Budget


Last year I set a simple goal, I wanted to spend less on fashion than I had the year before. In 2017 I spent $1,696.53, in 2018 I met that goal and only spent $1,014.44.

For 2019, I also met that goal and only spent $633.18 on fashion over the year (this includes a $158.99 gift card spend). For 2018, I'd spent $664.44 without gift cards and so I'm pleased to see I spent less than that in 2019 even with gift card spend included.

I had an average spend of $52.27 a month which is pretty good (my average spend in 2018 was $84.54 a month). Despite spending less, I bought more in 2019, with 43 items for the year so average of $14.72 each. Most of my gift card spend went to house things which is why I don't have a nice round figure for gift card spend on fashion.


How I spent less:


  • We had our big Europe trip at the start of the year as well as the move into our house when the build was finished.
  • We had a few things in mind to buy for the new house which reduced my budget, and I used most of the gift cards I got for Christmas (stores like Kmart and David Jones) on things for our new house.
  • I usually spend a lot in the January sales, but with the house build going on, studying for a big exam and saving for our Europe trip my mind was occupied with other things!
  • I focused on the 30 wear series more and on rewearing what I had instead of frequently buying new.
  • I shopped in the opshops more frequently and in high street stores less and although I couldn't resist all the sales I used my gift cards as much as possible when I did shop in the big shopping centres.
  • I had the 2018 previous spend figure of $1,014.44 in mind when spending anything on fashion to keep me on track, and I noted down my spend each month to know where I stood.


2020 Budget:


For this new year, I'd love to spend less on fashion than I did in 2019. $633.18 is a pretty low figure for me and one I'm very impressed with, but I'm not sure I could meet that again! I'm going to try meet that figure, but give myself a $1,000 budget similar to what I had in 2019 and I'll see how I go with spending less than that this year. If I can get less than $633.18 I'll be really impressed, but under $1,000, similar to the budget I had last year, and I'll be happy.

What's your fashion budget for this year?




Note: This post, like all my posts, was written and scheduled in advance. I had to add this note in though given the horrible situation unfolding in Australia, especially with it looking bleaker every day. So soon after my last note, once again the country is consumed with bushfires. We are safe from the bushfires, as are our family and friends for now.




Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : LikeToKnow.It 

72 comments:

  1. YOU ROCKED ALL YOUR OUTFITS SO WELL.
    next is 2020
    Happy 2020
    Have fun
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2020/01/my-visit-to-gidan-makama-museum-kano.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are safe from the fires. I think it's amazing that you track how many times you wear something as well as how much you spend on your fashion. I don't pay attention to that! The shoes are adorable for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been so interesting since I've started doing it - really helps me see what value I get from things in my wardrobe!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Mica!
    We're all watching the news in absolute horror at those dreadful bush fires, our hearts go out to anyone involved. Glad to hear that you're safe.
    Those metallic pumps were a great buy and look fab with everything. I've just splashed out on a fairly traded, artisan made metallic suede tote bag, I hope it'll last me years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My metallic bags are workhorses so I'm sure yours will be too!

      Delete
  4. Yep! I love my silver ones, they just add so much happiness to any outfit!
    Yep, this year I also spent a lot less than I have in the past, but you have me beat! Amazing what a house and a European trip does to the clothing budget, haha! (Twinsies!)
    https://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, lots of similar things going on in our lives! And similar shoes!

      Delete
  5. First, I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe from the fires! Thanks for keeping us updated on that! Second, love your 30 wears series! I do think metallic shoes make a great neutral and you've totally proved that! Finally, great job on you 2019 budget!! That is super impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we are lucky to be safe! I hope I can make good progress with my budget this year too!

      Delete
  6. These flats are the cutest thing I have seen all year :) Great outfits as always x

    Laura
    https://www.beautywithlala.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so adorable!! If they're cozy enough I'd probably wear them on every occasion till they'd fall apart. I love your stylings <3

    LackaDaisy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those gold mouse flats are really cute! It's a shame they don't make them anymore because they look so unique and fun with every outfit you wore. I really love how they look with the dresses. And it's good to know that you and your family are safe x

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sad when I found out they would be discontinued! :(

      Delete
  9. Wow, those cute gold mouse flats have really earned their keep. As for your 2019 fashion spend, well done, you! I have never kept track of my clothing budget, but I know my spending is considerably less ever since I started buying mainly second-hand. On another, and more serious track, I hope and pray that the terrible situation in Australia soon comes to an end. It must be truly terrifying to be in the thick of it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think spending more time second hand shopping really helped last year!

      We are lucky to be far from the fires but it's so scary seeing those up close with it - I hope they are put out soon!

      Delete
  10. OH, such cute little mouse shoes!!! Amazing! I will share your post with a friend who loves mice.
    I'm terrible with fashion. Wow, I don't have a clothes budget. I just get what I need when I need it..... and rarely spend more than $30 on one item-- although I have. But home decor, garden, and house items.... that's another story!
    Liberty @ B4andAfters.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes, everyone has that one thing they splurge on I think! Mine is certainly fashion!

      Delete
  11. Metallics are such good neutrals - they really do go with everything, as you have clearly shown here, Mica! Well done on 30+ wears from these adorable flats!

    I don't track my spending on clothes/shoes - I spend within my means (I set aside a fixed amount every paycheque as my "fun money" for shopping) and keeping track feels very judgmental to me. I don't track how many books I buy, or how much I spend on going to movies, so why should I feel that I have to constrain myself for this hobby? I shouldn't have to justify my (ethical) shopping habits, just because what I'm buying is clothing. Anyway, not judging you! Tracking for amusement or a personal challenge is different, of course.

    Have a great weekend, and thanks for letting us know you are safe from the wildfires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! I find it interesting to see how little I spend now, compared to pre-kids, and with the house hunting and then house building going on it was interesting to see how much I spent on fashion - helped our financial planner out when I could give an average spend on most categories per month, including fashion, haha!

      Delete
  12. Wow these flats seem super versatile! Love all the recommendations :)

    https://mariannyc.com/thank-you-2019/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these kind of posts. Those gold mouse flats are so cute. I really like all the 34 outfits you paired with them. That's a lot of wear and they look great with all these looks. Well done.

    It was also great to read about your fashion budgeting. It is such a clever idea to keep track of how much we spend on clothes. I don't really set a fashion budget but I generally spend very little on clothes because I wear a lot of family vintage items. I typically only invest in a quality jacket and shoes once or twice a year. I might set a fashion budget for this year, that seems like a good idea. It would be fun to see how much I will spend on clothes this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really interesting to add it all up! I'm hoping I can spend less this year, we will see how I go!

      Delete
  14. I love those flats!! I'm also budgeting for 2020 now, and am hoping to keep my costs as low as possible. While I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, I definitely do on food. So I'm hoping to make that a ton better this year.

    Happy New Year!

    https://www.makelifemarvelous.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You fashion budgetting has me in inspired! Very well done babe! I never took track of how much I'd spent on clothes, but I do want to do that this year. And spend a little less! We also have lots of work to do in our home, so I have to invest more in that...

    Xoxo, Layla | http://laylarosita.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg these are the cutest flats and I bet they're super comfy!

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You look absolutely gorgeous! I love things from Marc Jacobs!
    Happy new year dear!
    http://www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very comfortable shoes 😊 thanks for your sharing 😊 happy New year 😊

    ReplyDelete
  19. These would have to be the cutest shoes ever, Mica! They look great with everything! The bushfires really are devastating. I hope that relief comes soon. My heart goes out to everyone affected. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been so sad to see, especially after the air has been so clear here in Brisbane since Christmas!

      Delete
  20. Cute mouse ballet with nice whiskers!
    Needed one to celebrate Chinese New Year 2020 (Match with the year Mouse/Rat)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this so much and all of your outfits wearing the same pair of shoes! This also gave some flashback memories of when I had a similar pair, they were gold but also transparent/clear on the sides. :)

    Also, that's good that you've spent less and less on fashion and stuff, to be honest, I barely go shopping nowadays, I can do it once or twice a year but during that time I buy what I need at the moment and/or have wanted to buy for a while but I don't spend it all either, I save! :)

    XO, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to spend less on fashion I think, I'm trying to buy less! :)

      Delete
  22. Hi Mica,
    You amaze me with all of the wonderful ways you mix and match all of your outfits and the shoes and bags! Thanks so much for the visit to my blog and the well wishes. I will be busy organizing my house again back to normal from the holidays. Have a happy new year and I will be back to blogging regularly next week.
    Hugs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm thinking these flats basically go with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are such a cute and unique piece. I like them and how you style. Thank you for sharing and Happy New year.

    New Post - http://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2020/01/elizabeth-arden-sparkle-on-holiday_4.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm amazed you know the exact number of times you've worn them, that's amazing! They're way more versatile than I initially thought for a gold shoe, they're very cute too. Glad to hear your family are safe from the fires and thank you for sharing the link x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I'm glad that I track all my wears on the blog so it's easy to put these posts together! :)

      Delete
  26. Bravo on spending less on fashion for a few years in a row! Well done. I am sure I went crazy this year. Have not totaled it and don't want to know! But your post makes me think it might be time for a budget. HA!
    My youngest daughter has always worn bunny and mouse and kitty flats. She pairs them with everything, too, including pregnancy!! Your flats are adorable and you had my attention with the word 'gold'. Actually looking for rose gold, though. In a kitten heel pump.
    Happy new year, doll!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really interesting seeing how mu budget has changed over the years, and I'm looking forward to seeing the total at the end of this year too! :)

      Delete
  27. So beautiful, love the outfits! Happy new year

    https://modernastrega.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad that you and your family are safe! The situation with the fires is so heartbreaking. On a happier note, I love your cute mouse flats! I had never seen them up close before and didn't realize they had cute little faces! That is a great conversation starter! I would never think of mouse flats as something versatile, but the metallic really does go with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow you did so good with your fashion budget! I have to think about what I want mine to be this year. It's always good to set a goal and stick close to it! Happy New Year friend! XO

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such cute shoes Mica and you really did a fantastic job of styling them in so many different ways!

    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love those golden shoes, so cute. you have great collection .
    please take care of yourself too. You are very pretty.
    Thanks for your review on my last post. Stay healthy.
    New post on My Blog | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  32. happy Sunday! I hope that the fire emergency in Australia soon comes under control.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great outfits. Not a fan of flats but these are quite cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great job on achieving your goal to spending less on fashion last year. Setting a budget definitely is a good way to start. The fires sound absolutely devastating. Hopefully the situation can be brought under control soon without any more casualties.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love those shoes! I've never seen them really up close and they're wonderful! Maybe one of your budget splurges this year should include finding a backup pair that's in good condition for when yours do wear out. They're just perfect in every way you've worn them, too. I love that you're watching your budget so carefully. I think I spend pretty low on fashion pieces (easily keeping it under $100/month) but I had a TJ Maxx gift card for Christmas and if I'm counting that, I'm already over-budget for this month. I don't think those count, Mica. I'm keeping Australia in my prayers with the wildfire and my heart just breaks at the lives lost (human and so so so much wildlife) and the massive destruction of homes and forest.

    Ruth
    https://voguefauxreal.com/2019/12/31

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would like a backup pair but I'm sure these have lots of wear left! :) I'd really like to see if I can buy even less this year - so far I've spent a lot of Christmas gift cards, ha!

      Delete
  36. No wonder you are still that happy with your amazing flats! They are so cute and for sure the best conversation starter! And you can be very proud of you that you spent that less on fashion!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I adore those flats and I really like the way you have styled them!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am so glad to hear you and your family are safe from the bushfires. I do hope the situation improves for Australia soon.

    These flats are so cute! I love that you've worn them 92 times - and keep track! That's something I need to start doing. That's such a wonderful idea to track if you're getting your monies worth from a pricier item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to keep track when I blog what I wear :) So nice I can do that!

      I'm really hoping all the fires are put out soon too!

      Delete
  39. Your looks are always so cute ❣

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh wow, I haven't seen shoes like that before! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my gosh how cute are those shoes?! They are adorable, and I love that they're gold! xx

    GemmaEtc.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are super cute!
    Also great outfits!
    Have a good day 💋

    https://caracanela.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is such a cute idea! I feel like I'm always wearing the same shoes in all my outfits. Also, your outfits are so cute!

    xo Logan
    https://peculiarporter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am relieved to hear you and your family are safe. I heard about the fires in the news and I really didn't know that temps could get really high there until about a week back! About the mouse flats, omg - I love that it's golden! Super chic and I am always amazed at how you kept count of everything and stayed in budget. All the outfits you paired with the flats are really comfy and also fashion-forward. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think what you did was very awesome, as someone who has only two pair of shoes I make sure I get my use out of them. I love these series that you do, and they are very helpful, and all the looks look amazing. Stay safe!

    Love is Zero

    ReplyDelete
  46. Those shoe are super cute. My goal is to only get 12 new clothing items this year.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great goal to have, good luck with it! :)

      Delete
  47. That's such a cute shoe! It's simple but with a twist of uniqueness. I love it.

    https://ahleessa4realz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  48. You've been doing so well with your budgeting and making sure you are getting the most wear out of the pieces you buy! I love the mouse flats, they really are a fun conversation piece and in the uniform gold, really versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love that you have been able to wear those shoes so many times! and they're still looking great.
    I am in awe, you were so good in spending less year after year - that was quite an accomplishment.
    Loved the tips on how you reduced spending. I have yet to do my 2019 expenses and i am afraid..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always get some bargains I'm sure you haven't spent that much when you total it up! :)

      Delete
  50. Thanks all for your lovely comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...