Saturday 20 October 2018

What's In My Bag: #ItsInTheBag Christmas Campaign Edition!

A what's in my bag post with a bit of a difference!

You might recall I mentioned a very inspiring and moving talk by Rochelle at the blogger's brunch a few months ago. Rochelle runs Share the Dignity, a charity that aims to provide women across Australia with access to sanitary products.

It's In The Bag is their Christmas campaign. Given my fondness for handbags, I had to share this with you.

What's In My Bag: Share The Dignity It's In The Bag Campaign Christmas 2018 | awayfromblue


Just grab one of your gently used bags you no longer need, or buy a new one, and fill it up to give to a woman or girl at need over Christmas. It's an impactful way you can help women who are homeless, at risk, or experiencing domestic violence. You fill it with new essentials like pads or tampons, other hygiene products, and little (non-food) treats to let a someone in need know they are being thought of at Christmas.

I shared the bag I chose to donate in the video below, along with what I filled it with and why!



The Gabi bag was an obvious choice! As I discussed in the video, it's my kind of bag with multiple ways you can wear it. I love bags you can wear multiple ways! Someone will be thrilled to get this at Christmas. (Checkout the video to see what it looks like worn).

Each of the handbags available for purchase on the site is named after one of the women who have been helped by the campaign. The Gabi bag is named because of a lovely lady who donated to the campaign in 2017. Gabi herself was homeless the year before and had benefited from the campaign, and she wanted to give back the next year.

Gabi's story is so inspiring and shows you that you don't need a large budget, just a large heart to get involved with the campaign.

Ways You Can Help:

  • Why not shop the share the dignity website to find some Christmas gifts? The majority of the bags and clutches are PU faux leather and vegan friendly, and all proceeds help fund the charity programs.
  • Share the campaign with your friends/family.
  • Start putting a bag together of your own to donate. See my tips below.



What Should You Include In Your Handbag Donation?

As well as the items you saw in the video, these are some helpful suggestions for things you could include.



Follow Share the Dignity on facebook for more ideas!

Tips:

  • Start buying now so that you can take advantage of sales and specials on products to make the most of your budget. 
  • Try Kmart or eBay for cheap but cheerful accessories, look out for specials on hygiene products at Priceline and don't forget you can pick up some extras with your weekly shop at Coles or Woolworths, both have a good selection of products and often sales.
  • You will be able to drop off your donation between 16th November and 2nd December 2018, so you have plenty of time to get shopping.

Have you donated to #ItsInTheBag before? What did or would you put in your bag?


Note: I was not paid for this post. As always: all thoughts, opinions and images are my own.


Linking up with Mummy Monday, Modest Monday, On Mondays We Link Up, Start The Week Stylish.



Follow Away From the Blue on:
Bloglovin
Twitter : Instagram Youtube : Facebook : Google Plus : LikeToKnow.It 

63 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful cause, Mica:) Not only is that bag gorgeous, but I love all the stuff you put in there. All useful for sure. The necklace and the Clinique pouch are great additions as well.
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmy! I thought they were cute additions and hopefully they go to good use!

      Delete
  2. What a great cause! I love their mission! Gorgeous bag and all of the additions will be so appreciated! Thank you for sharing this!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great way to help people in need and I love that it was inspired by someone who had this experience. And oh that black is soooo chic.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories behind each of the bags are so bittersweet - naming them after people who have gone through so much is such a clever idea!

      Delete
  4. This is such a wonderful cause, Mica! I can't believe I hadn't heard about it. Thanks so much for introducing it! I am definitely going to start putting a bag together. Such a great idea! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Mica! ;) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could introduce you to this Sasha! I'd love to see your final bag, I hope you post about it :)

      Delete
  5. That's such a wonderful thing to do for the holidays. There are so many people less fortunate than us. It's wonderful to be able to help someone.

    Kathrin | Polar Bear Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is such a nice way to help at Christmas time!

      Delete
  6. I love this campaign! It is perfect to share the love to others who are not as fortunate and fill it up with the necessities. It is important to have good hygiene, especially as a female. It's great that there are so many different ways to contribute. Thanks for sharing these tips and awareness!

    Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a wonderful idea. I give back each year around Christmas and will see if there are similar charities in Germany.

    Anne - Linda, Libra, Loca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find something similar! It's heartbreaking to think of these people going without the bare essentials, especially at Christmas.

      Delete
  8. I love this idea. So wonderful and thoughtful, especially during the holidays. The black bag is so lovely, by the way. Thanks for sharing this, beaut! <3 xoxo

    Kay
    https://www.shoesandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful cause Mica, such an awesome idea.

    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely idea, the checklist is awesome, thanks for sharing this!

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The checklist is so helpful! I referred to it a few times when shopping for the bag!

      Delete
  11. You have so many stuff in your bag :O

    Laura
    https://pinkfrenzymissl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it will all go to someone in need at Christmas!

      Delete
  12. Oh cool! A fun post! hope you're having a great weekend love!

    www.jessicabroyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great way to make someone in need's holiday special!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it really does make the lucky lady who gets it feel special!

      Delete
  14. What a fun way to help someone in need. Have a great weekend.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home/

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a list! You've covered every essential dear. Thanks for the tips!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gifting a bag filled with products is a great way to make some woman know she is thought of in Christmas. Such a great idea for a donation! A donation likes this one feels more personal because it was hand picked and I think the lady who receives it will feel the love. A great cause for sure. You picked lovely products (and a bag) to gift. The tips for donating are wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivana! I'm glad you found the tips helpful. I am hoping it brings a smile to a ladies face at Christmas!

      Delete
  17. Love it when companies do this! That s a good story about the Gabi bag!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great way to give back! Thanks for sharing!

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing campaign, especially in time for Christmas! It's a really lovely handbag too xx

    Gemma • Gemma Etc . ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is very nice, and a great way to give back.
    new post
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2018/10/how-to-style-waistcoat.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful way to get into the Christmas spirit of giving and help those in need. You put together a great bag with many lovely and thoughtful items. I'm sure whoever receives it will really appreciate everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rowena! I hope it is really helpful to whoever receives it!

      Delete
  22. You have inspired me to do this so thank you. A simple but extremely beneficial way to support women in our community. All of these things are needs but pricey. I am on it and will be sharing your post on my FB. Good work.

    bosbodaciousblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad that I could inspire you to do this too! :)

      Delete
  23. That's such a wonderful and unique way to give back! I try to do something like this every year, last year I did the shoebox donation thing!

    Junniku blog!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoebox is a good way to donate too! I never seem to have a spare shoebox, haha!

      Delete
  24. what a good and literally 'good' project to be apart of! Katelyn/www.theyellowspectacles.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a wonderful way to give back to those who need it! I love the concept of filling a bag up with products women need. Not only do they get the products but also a bag they can use too. It's great that you're doing this and spreading the word about it too!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara! it's a great way to help someone in need!

      Delete
  26. This is so interesting!
    Nice post, Dear!
    www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this idea! What an amazing way to make a special Christmas for someone! The bag is gorgeous and love all the goodies you put inside too :)

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna. I hope it does make someone feel special on Christmas!

      Delete
  28. what a wonderful way for Christmas! Love all the goodies inside it! :)

    xoxo Babita
    http://travelhues.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow you got such good stuff
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.om

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope the lady who receives it really likes it!

      Delete
  30. Mica this is such a wonderful idea. Truly. I definitely wouldn't mind contributing to this too. It's these kind of little luxuries that people don't realise are luxuries when you're down and out. Thanks for sharing

    Sxx
    daringcoco.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia. It's heartbreaking to think of them having nothing, I hope this helps!

      Delete
  31. What a great concept! What woman doesn't love a new handbag? And how thoughtful to have it filled with all of thee essentials! Thanks for sharing this campaign!
    Gina || On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina! It is a great thing to do at Christmas time!

      Delete
  32. What an awesome idea - I love this and am definitely going to do it!

    www.voguefauxreal.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I could encourage you to do it! It's a very thoughtful thing to do!

      Delete
  33. I do not recall reading about this Mica but its such a great idea-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful idea. I was so moved by Rochelle's speech I knew I had to take part and share about it!

      Delete
  34. I love this campaign! We have some ladies in the mums group here doing some collections for Share the Dignity, and the response has been fantastic. You've done well to collect all of those products for the organisation!

    Eileen | 5feetofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good idea to get the mum's group behind it too Eileen! :) Thank you.

      Delete
  35. What a great cause and campaign, I'm sure they will really appreciate what you're giving!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks all for your encouraging comments - so pleased I could inspire some of you to put your own bag together too!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback on my outfits and any constructive criticism is welcomed. I appreciate the time you take to leave a kind comment. Make sure to tick 'Notify me' if you've asked a question so you get an email response :)

Feel free to leave a link to your blog so I can check it out. "Follow me" or "follow for follow" comment spam will not be published.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...